1. Post #1
    Ask me about my vore fetish.
    February 2012
    1,598 Posts
    Just looking for a decent pre built computer that's under 450$
    I don't want to build my own, and I've been wanting to get a good brand and I need help with finding something decent.
    I don't have an OS disk, the last computer I owned was a pre built my mom gave me for my birthday, and it finally died out.

I'd like it to run Team Fortress 2 at medium or higher,
    I'd also like to have somthing bigger than a dual core, but if I can't get anything more then that i'm okay with that.

Not really sure what else to put..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    October 2010
    765 Posts
    Can I ask why you dont want to build your own?

3. Post #3
    February 2012
    1,598 Posts
    Can I ask why you dont want to build your own?
    I got told to post it here. I'm confused about where to post this now.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    7,138 Posts
    I got told to post it here. I'm confused about where to post this now.
    He is asking you why don't you want to assemble your own PC instead of buying a prebuilt one, not why you're posting in this section.

5. Post #5
    February 2012
    1,598 Posts
    He is asking you why don't you want to assemble your own PC instead of buying a prebuilt one, not why you're posting in this section.
    Because its going to be for a short ammount of time before I give it to my sister.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,497 Posts
    Well, I'm gonna find you a pre-built if you really, really can't have it any other way. But let me tell you - it's very easy to build your own - it's exactly like legos, except you can't put anything in wrong. Check this website out: www.pcityourself.com
    It shows everything, and it's really simple. Now you might think "But aren't computer parts like super sensitive??" - yes, and no. Computer parts can really take a beating and some abuse, but if you're really unlucky a static charge might get a part. This has never happened for me, and I'm not exactly shy around my computer parts - mainly because I have a very small case, and as such I'll just have to push stuff around. And even if you break something (unless you snap it in two or whatever) you can just send it back to the manufacturer and get a new part. And while you might think "what if something broke later on? What about the warrenty", you're in luck - computer parts that you buy seperately generally come with a warrenty of a few years, longer than any pre-built you might get. With a PSU (one of the parts you see breaking the most in a pre-built) you usually get a five year warrenty, and the same for the GPU. RAM gets five years as well, and in some cases lifetime warrenties. This means that even though you'll have to diagnose your computer yourself (or, you know, get someone on Facepunch to do it), you'll get support for much longer. With this comes the fact that the quality of the parts will be a good deal better - especially when we're talking a $450 pre-built.

7. Post #7
    February 2012
    1,598 Posts
    Well, I'm gonna find you a pre-built if you really, really can't have it any other way. But let me tell you - it's very easy to build your own - it's exactly like legos, except you can't put anything in wrong. Check this website out: www.pcityourself.com
    It shows everything, and it's really simple. Now you might think "But aren't computer parts like super sensitive??" - yes, and no. Computer parts can really take a beating and some abuse, but if you're really unlucky a static charge might get a part. This has never happened for me, and I'm not exactly shy around my computer parts - mainly because I have a very small case, and as such I'll just have to push stuff around. And even if you break something (unless you snap it in two or whatever) you can just send it back to the manufacturer and get a new part. And while you might think "what if something broke later on? What about the warrenty", you're in luck - computer parts that you buy seperately generally come with a warrenty of a few years, longer than any pre-built you might get. With a PSU (one of the parts you see breaking the most in a pre-built) you usually get a five year warrenty, and the same for the GPU. RAM gets five years as well, and in some cases lifetime warrenties. This means that even though you'll have to diagnose your computer yourself (or, you know, get someone on Facepunch to do it), you'll get support for much longer. With this comes the fact that the quality of the parts will be a good deal better - especially when we're talking a $450 pre-built.
    A few of my friends told me that this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883157019 would be a good choice for my price range, its gonna be used for a month or two before giving it to my little sister, Its just gonna be used for TF2 and source games. The specs look promising to me.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,497 Posts
    A few of my friends told me that this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883157019 would be a good choice for my price range, its gonna be used for a month or two before giving it to my little sister, Its just gonna be used for TF2 and source games. The specs look promising to me.
    Nah, that's garbage. The GPU is extremely slow.

9. Post #9
    February 2012
    1,598 Posts
    Nah, that's garbage. The GPU is extremely slow.
    What would you reccomend?

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    4,126 Posts
    This is the "best" prebuilt pc that I could find in that price range http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883103422
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    CD drives eject stuff, my ass ejects stuff, therefore my ass must be a CD drive.
    July 2009
    4,586 Posts
    Do you know any particularly computer savvy people? You could order the parts and get a friend to assemble it for you.

12. Post #12
    Fudders
    September 2010
    3,250 Posts
    Build it, Build it, Build it, and Build it.

Then when you build it, give it to your sister. Once you give it your sister, build yourself another one.

Then you will have reach enlightenment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,497 Posts
    What would you reccomend?
    I would recommend building it yourself, but if you really don't want to, the one in FLAP JACK's post isn't the worst. You'd get better performance if you built it yourself, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,561 Posts
    If you didn't see my post in your other thread, I'll copy and paste it here:

If you're looking at prebuilts, you're probably going to end up with a computer with an AMD A6, which would probably run TF2, though maybe not very well on high settings.

This on the other hand, you could buy these parts off newegg.com (I'm assuming you're american) and have a pretty decent machine. If I recall, that graphics card is capable of playing Battlefield 3, though don't hold it against me if it doesn't.

Tom's hardware has this to say about the CPU:
    It turns out that the budget-oriented Sandy Bridge-based Pentium family performs very well in games. Specifically, Intel's $70 Pentium G630 beat the FX-4100, -6100, and -8120 in our recent sub-$200 CPU gaming comparison. In fact, it finished right on par with the Phenom II X4 955.

As a result, Intel displaces AMD at the bottom rung of our recommendation list yet again this month. There's not much else to add, except that if you consider the Phenom II X4 to be a capable gaming CPU, Intel's Pentium G630 is just as viable.
    and this to say about the graphics card:
    At the same price, AMD's Radeon HD 6770 outperforms the company's newer Radeon HD 7750. The only problem is that the old card uses twice as much power in the process. The Radeon HD 7750 is the fastest graphics card you can get right now that doesn't require a auxiliary power input; it draws all that it needs from a 16-lane PCIe slot.
    The case (In my opinion) looks better than the glossy plastic on many of the HP desktops that you're going to be looking at in that price range.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    4,126 Posts
    Wheres the OS?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,778 Posts
    He could get away with a 400 watt PSU. ALso don't give him an intel for such a low budget, give him an AMD APU since all hes doing is playing TF2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,351 Posts

BOOM $450 with OS, should be able to run TF2 med/high around 40 fps

Edited:

Also if you're military and live near a base with a BX on it, I picked up a 3-pack Windows 7 home premium for $80
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    ADT
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,527 Posts
    In case, you still don't want to build yourself, this one has a pretty good integrated GPU, that would let play every Source games without problems (don't expect to play demanding 3D games though with a playable framerate)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883220163

Edited:

You have to think this thing won't be upgradeable, but it will meet your needs without giving you trouble.

19. Post #19
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,335 Posts
    Just save up a little more, get a 3570k, and use the intergrated hd4000 till you can afford a dedicated gpu. The hd4000 will handle tf2 easily.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,561 Posts
    He could get away with a 400 watt PSU. ALso don't give him an intel for such a low budget, give him an AMD APU since all hes doing is playing TF2.
    Intel has been getting better at the low-end and it also gives him the ability to throw in a Core i5 and/or a new graphics card down the road if he wants to, which is why I gave him a little more PSU wiggle-room.

That is, if he can somehow use the Windows licence from his current computer or get one cheaply/free if he's a student. If not, the A6-3500 build below would be better. Though it shouldn't be difficult to find a prebuilt with similar specs if that's what he really wants.

21. Post #21
    ADT
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,527 Posts
    Just save up a little more, get a 3570k, and use the intergrated hd4000 till you can afford a dedicated gpu. The hd4000 will handle tf2 easily.
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 can't even beat Llano's igp (HD 6550D), so why do you recommend it?

AMD A8-3850 is a better choice for him.

Edited:

Also you guys should pick RAM stickers with 1600Mhz, not 1333Mhz
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,335 Posts
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 can't even beat Llano's igp (HD 6550D), so why do you recommend it?

AMD A8-3850 is a better choice for him.

Edited:

Because he is just playing tf2 for now, then when he gets the money he can upgrade. If he is going to do nothing more than tf2, then yea the A8 is fine. But if later on he wants more, he'll be stuck with the a8 and ~$400 wasted.

23. Post #23
    ADT
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,527 Posts
    Because he is just playing tf2 for now, then when he gets the money he can upgrade. If he is going to do nothing more than tf2, then yea the A8 is fine. But if later on he wants more, he'll be stuck with the a8 and ~$400 wasted.
    In that case, a Pentium G 630/i3 2100 + HD 6670/7750 would be a better choice and more future-proof in thelong run, than a single i5 3570K

Edited:

Pretty much what benjgvps suggested

24. Post #24
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,335 Posts
    In that case, a Pentium G 630/i3 2100 + HD 6670/7750 would be a better choice and more future-proof in thelong run, than a single i5 3570K

Edited:

Pretty much what benjgvps suggested
    An h61 is not future proofing, if he got a z77, it would be better. But I see your point.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,351 Posts
    RAM speed means next to nothing when it comes to gaming.

I think you guys are all overlooking the fact that this is going to his sister in a month or two. She wouldn't need anything you guys are suggesting for a facebook machine, and TF2 is easy as shit to run even with low specs. Stop arguing about an upgrade path that isn't needed as he wouldn't even be upgrading this computer.

26. Post #26
    ADT
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,527 Posts
    It really does if you use the iGP, which would really increase its performance.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,778 Posts

I think you guys are all overlooking the fact that this is going to his sister in a month or two. She wouldn't need anything you guys are suggesting for a facebook machine, and TF2 is easy as shit to run even with low specs. Stop arguing about an upgrade path that isn't needed as he wouldn't even be upgrading this computer.
    Onboard graphics run off the speed of your ram.