1. Post #1
    Hello, thought I'd endeavor on a one month project. I'll try to take a new picture every day, however on rainy days (like today) I'll just post one I took yesterday.
    Some days I also might not be able to post, but I'll take it as it goes.
    Most of my shooting will be with the 5D mark II and the 24-105L f/4, and the 100-400L f/4,5-5,6. Sometimes I'll pull out the ol' Samyang 14mm though.

1/31

2/31

Almost broke my 100-400 climbing up the hillside.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Artistic Artistic x 11Winner Winner x 4 (list)

2. Post #2
    November 2009
    1,155 Posts
    really enjoy the framing on the first.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    November 2008
    2,208 Posts
    good luck with it mate! i tried to just do a photo a week and failed in that!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    April 2012
    3,295 Posts
    these are sweet man! Definitely an inspiration for my animal photogs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    20,737 Posts
    You live in a zoo?

Edited:

(Awesome pictures otherwise)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 6Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    They're all from Banff national park in Canada. The last one is either a gray wolf or a wolfdog, and I got very close using tips I got from Brandon Brown, a wildlife photographer in the area. Great guy. They are actually very scared of you, and it was a real spot of luck seeing one. I had to smell like dirt and mirrored how it moved by walking sideways and backwards, and gave it lots of room. It's about 20-30 meters away from me there, taken at 400mm and cropped quite a bit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Blue Member?
    October 2010
    7,589 Posts
    banff national park is beautiful i love it there although i totally recommend you visit jasper as well
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    banff national park is beautiful i love it there although i totally recommend you visit jasper as well
    Not this visit I'm afraid. I'm hanging around Pritchard, BC near Kamloops for the time being. Drove there from Calgary.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    Emz
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    2,317 Posts
    I think it may have been cool to exaggerate the eyes more with some post processing. I wish I lived near somewhere that beautiful! Well there is the lake district but in the weekends I keep being too tired to be active.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    I think it may have been cool to exaggerate the eyes more with some post processing.
    I had originally done it. If you saw the first few hours after I posted it they were actually orange-y and strong. But then I reverted to the original out of principle. Maybe I'll change it back, but I've always only done minor changes in post processing because I feel it undermines the art of taking a good photograph there and then, but on the other hand if they're good, should it really matter? A philosophical question I have yet to choose a side on.

Edited:

As a result I'm really indecisive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,806 Posts
    Mac is best photographer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Artistic Artistic x 17Winner Winner x 3 (list)

14. Post #14
    ice cream and pussy
    March 2005
    1,981 Posts
    that's gorgeous.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    1,096 Posts
    Magical. At first glance it looks post-processed, but then again, I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen that kind of sunlight here in the Netherlands...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Sorry to disappoint, but todays picture is terrible.
    5/31
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Winner x 7Disagree x 2Artistic x 2Dumb x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    April 2012
    3,295 Posts
    that's not terrible, just not quite as good as the others :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    November 2008
    2,208 Posts
    terrible?! that is a beautiful landscape!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    terrible?! that is a beautiful landscape!
    It required little effort on my end and is purely postcard-esque documentation of a place.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Will there be any photos of stars?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    20,737 Posts
    Sorry to disappoint, but todays picture is terrible.
    5/31
    Would you kindly post the exif info?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Emz
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    2,317 Posts
    Use an online exif viewer: 1/320 sec, f/9, ISO 100
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 9Zing Zing x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    September 2011
    225 Posts
    That's insane.
    How the hell are these photos possible?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    November 2008
    2,208 Posts
    these can't be one a day!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    these can't be one a day!
    First two were the same day. The rest are one a day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    September 2011
    225 Posts
    Jesus...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Full technical info:

5D mark II
    Canon 24-105 F/4 L @ 47mm

Manual mode
    Auto white-balance
    1/320 sec
    f/9
    ISO 100
    RAW-file

29. Post #29
    November 2008
    2,208 Posts
    wow! you must have had some lucky shoots!

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,408 Posts
    Really jealous of that nature. I live in a provincial town in Zealand, we have fucking nothing. The only real nature here is a forest that is 2km^2 big, everything else for a good share of km in any directions is just fields, roads and farms.

Anyway, really great pictures, I'll probably do something inspired by this (bar posting them on FP) just to take some photographs.

Also, how do you get so close to the animals?

Edited:

not that I don't appreciate my forest!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Blue Member?
    October 2010
    7,589 Posts
    canada really is a beautiful place more of you should come visit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Really jealous of that nature. I live in a provincial town in Zealand, we have fucking nothing. The only real nature here is a forest that is 2km^2 big, everything else for a good share of km in any directions is just fields, roads and farms.

not that I don't appreciate my forest!
    Ditto. I live in rural eastern Norway, which is much less interesting then beautiful Western Norway, or Canada. But I save up and buy vacations like this one, which I'm on now.

Also, how do you get so close to the animals?
    Keep a constant speed. Don't stop and start walking. Or do it gradually, no sudden movements. Just walk slowly and carefully. Be aware of how you're stepping and what you're stepping on -- make no loud noises even when they're aware of you, don't make any sudden moves and mirror the animals way of movement. Don't bend down or anything, or it looks like you might pounce. If you want to get real close, you might want to roll on some dry dirt, or smear over any part that smells of deodorant. Foreign smells scare them away. But that's if you get within 20 meters of them of course. Clothing may be helpful too, but I just wear a beige photography west and jeans that can take a beating when I'm out in the wild which seems to work fine. Some bait may be helpful too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,806 Posts
    mac is best photographer 10/10 would look at again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    It's time to unban Banshee Friend
    Dennab
    April 2011
    5,915 Posts
    Oh boy I can't wait for the next one :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,408 Posts
    Ditto. I live in rural eastern Norway, which is much less interesting then beautiful Western Norway, or Canada. But I save up and buy vacations like this one, which I'm on now.

Keep a constant speed. Don't stop and start walking. Or do it gradually, no sudden movements. Just walk slowly and carefully. Be aware of how you're stepping and what you're stepping on -- make no loud noises even when they're aware of you, don't make any sudden moves and mirror the animals way of movement. Don't bend down or anything, or it looks like you might pounce. If you want to get real close, you might want to roll on some dry dirt, or smear over any part that smells of deodorant. Foreign smells scare them away. But that's if you get within 20 meters of them of course. Clothing may be helpful too, but I just wear a beige photography west and jeans that can take a beating when I'm out in the wild which seems to work fine. Some bait may be helpful too.
    I only looked at the pictures so I assumed they were taken in Norway a little less jealous now

Still, from a nature perspective, anything > Denmark

36. Post #36
    I only looked at the pictures so I assumed they were taken in Norway a little less jealous now
    They're not.

Todays, 7/31

Was at a BBQ all day with friendly people I met earlier, so I had no photo opportunities today, so I just took this when I came home. Apologies for eh-ness and meh-ness.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Artistic Artistic x 13Winner Winner x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    April 2012
    3,295 Posts
    They're not.

Todays, 7/31

Was at a BBQ all day with friendly people I met earlier, so I had no photo opportunities today, so I just took this when I came home. Apologies for eh-ness and meh-ness.
    hah, that's a great photo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 6Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    June 2011
    660 Posts
    Thanks for the new background! Now I can look at this beautiful picture all day.

Although it is a bit pixelated. Is there a higher quality version?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    It's time to unban Banshee Friend
    Dennab
    April 2011
    5,915 Posts
    Good job again, and thank you for the background
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)