1. Post #1
    August 2011
    87 Posts
    Hello people
    I'm at the end of my "working experience" at London and I will probably own a couple of pounds to upgrade my "old" rig.
    The funny thing is that the day I left Italy (the 4th of January) my pc died while I was on the air-plane. They told me that the motherboard died (I actually think is the sata controller from what i know)
    Anyway now i'm stuck on choosing what i should buy and i still don't know how much i can spend, but here's what i've got:
    -I7 920 with stock fan
    -Asus pt6 (dead)
    -6 gb of ram 1600 mhz
    -Asus GTX 275
    -Corsair 750w power supply
    -Centurion 5 case
    -Asus 22 inch with 1680x1050

I should be able to spend more then 800 euro and I already know that I will get at list 24 gb of ram and a new graphic card. The thing is that I don't know what to get.
    I was going to buy the gtx 580 because I use several application with graphic card acceleration and I know that the new gtx 680 it's not the best for that. What should I do?
    Should I stay on nanhelm? I think that sandy and ivy bridge are kind of a useless upgrade for me if I overclock my 920. What should I do? (the idea comes from the fact that the motherboard is dead)
    My monitor should require an upgrade to, I want to be able to render at 1080p from games but I need something that is good at several things. And since I don't have the second monitor any more I'm really into buying a new one. My problem is that I use my pc for too many things wich includes but not limited to:
    -Really heavy video editing (high res. and high fps videos, fragmovies)
    -Programming (java,c++, html, ecc ecc)
    -Videogames (quakelive,tf2 and other high speed games and sometimes stupid game like crysis 1 xD)
    -Music
    -Img editing

Maybe an ssd would be the best solution when it comes to lossless high frame videogame rendering. When I render for tf2 my hd is always the bottleneck.
    I wouldn't even mind a liquid cooling system since I renderer videos every day but it all depends on the price. Changing the case could actually help.

Any idea or suggestion?

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,359 Posts
    LGA 1366 motherboards are fairly pricy, and the performance increase in Ivy Bridge would make it somewhat worth it. If you overclocked your CPU, you would surely get comparable performance, but investing in a dead and expensive socket seems like a bad idea. What is your exact budget?

3. Post #3
    August 2011
    87 Posts
    That's my main issue, I still don't know for sure but I'm looking at 900 euro. I really want to know what I should do with 900

4. Post #4
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,312 Posts
    Sell the parts that you don't want to reuse and get an ivy bridge build instead? The i7 and gpu could probably fetch some more money towards the new build. It's an option.

5. Post #5
    September 2009
    2,277 Posts
    You can probably sell that 920 and GTX 275, the money you get from that can probably buy you a 2500K + a decent board, and if you do have 900, just get a nice GPU (7870, GTX 670 and upwards) and you should be fine
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    August 2011
    87 Posts
    so should I leave the LGA 1366 socket for the new one? Even if I give up having more pci lines?
    I would go on the new i7-3770K if I have to change. What about the motherboard? Should I stay on asus? If yes what's the best one in offer/price?
    And what about the gpu? Should I go for the 680 and forget about the 580?
    Do you think my case would be good for all this?

7. Post #7
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,312 Posts
    If you like the case, keep it. If you insist on the 3770k, fine, but go get a z77 motherboard. Asus always makes good boards, but asrock and msi are pretty good also. Get a gtx 670, it's pretty much the same as the 680, but 100 dollars cheaper.

8. Post #8
    August 2011
    87 Posts
    If you like the case, keep it. If you insist on the 3770k, fine, but go get a z77 motherboard. Asus always makes good boards, but asrock and msi are pretty good also. Get a gtx 670, it's pretty much the same as the 680, but 100 dollars cheaper.
    I get your point about the 3770k, it's just that if I have to change everything I would like to get something really high end. Do you think spending more for ivy bridge is useless??? (compare to sandy bridge)
    I could even get an used/new x58 motherboard and spend money for cooling system or other extra

9. Post #9
    August 2011
    87 Posts
    I think I will go for processor and memory first and then graphic card.
    What proc do you think i should get? Ivy bridge or Sandy?
    What motherboard? I really don't know what is better to get.
    And of course what's the best memory? I will go on 24 gb or more

10. Post #10
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,312 Posts
    3570k, or 3770k if you want it.

Get a Z77 mobo. Take a look here:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ue=705%3a88788

I have a think for corsair memory, but there a lot of good brands. Gskill, kingston, etc. Get what has good reviews.

11. Post #11
    August 2011
    87 Posts
    I might go with asus but I'm not sure, since my last Asus motherboard died after 3 years. I can't really complain because my computer was working at list 8 hours a day.
    On the other hand asus's Z77 motherboard have 3 slot distance for the pci express x16. Does that affect the sli?
    What motherboard would you suggest?

12. Post #12
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,312 Posts
    I have this one and love it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157293
    It really depends on how much you want to spend and what features you want.

But the one I have and this one are safe bets: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131837

Unless you want to spend more.

13. Post #13
    August 2011
    87 Posts
    I think that i have my final config:
    -Intel Core i7 Ivy Bridge 3770K 309
    -Hyper TX3 EVO 22
    -Corsair PC Vengeance 4 x 8 GB - DDR3-1600 203,40
    -ASUS P8Z77-V LE 145,80

-ASUS GeForce GTX 670 DirectCU II 419 as soon as i get my last pay check xD

Is it good? Is there something I should buy as well?
    They don't sell 16 gb with 2 x 8 gb so I will just go with 32. I don't mind since after effect and co will use that amount of ram
    My only question is, should i buy 1600 mhz ram and run it at 1333 mhz? The fact is that I usually run heavy application for a long time, especially on rendering, and I need something safe to work with. I have no intention of over clock cpu or gpu. Will I be fine with this?

14. Post #14
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,312 Posts
    -Hyper TX3 EVO 22
    -ASUS P8Z77-V LE 145,80

They don't sell 16 gb with 2 x 8 gb so I will just go with 32. I don't mind since after effect and co will use that amount of ram
    My only question is, should i buy 1600 mhz ram and run it at 1333 mhz? The fact is that I usually run heavy application for a long time, especially on rendering, and I need something safe to work with. I have no intention of over clock cpu or gpu. Will I be fine with this?
    1600 is fine, I even have that ram overclocked to 1866 and it runs super stable.

15. Post #15
    March 2010
    903 Posts
    -Hyper TX3 EVO 22
    -ASUS P8Z77-V LE 145,80

Consider the i7-3700 (no K) if you have no intention to overclock. You will save some money :)

16. Post #16
    August 2011
    87 Posts
    Consider the i7-3700 (no K) if you have no intention to overclock. You will save some money :)
    Well, if everything goes well I will buy a water cooling system in the future. I will not overclock without that just because working with the adobe suite kills the computer at stock freq.
    Oh and they actually don't sell the standard version where I'm buying xD
    Btw do you know any good ram cooling system?

edit:
    they actually sell that! 311 for the k version and 283,90 for the standard
    It's not that much, do you think?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Italy Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    March 2010
    903 Posts
    Well, if everything goes well I will buy a water cooling system in the future. I will not overclock without that just because working with the adobe suite kills the computer at stock freq.
    Oh and they actually don't sell the standard version where I'm buying xD
    Btw do you know any good ram cooling system?

edit:
    they actually sell that! 311 for the k version and 283,90 for the standard
    It's not that much, do you think?
    You should go for the standard if you want to save some money and don't have any plans when it comes to overclocking. When it comes to RAM cooling, I really don't know.

You should maybe buy a air-cooler instead of watercooling. Since you will not overclock your processor (at least that is not the main intent) you might as well use a good air-cooler to about 100$

For air-cooling I recomend this one: http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Heatpip.../dp/B002VKVZ1A

I think you should go for the standard version. You do get simply more for the money with that version.

It is a great idea to buy a 670 card btw, you should buy that one :)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,301 Posts
    If you're at stock clocks you don't need an aftermarket heatsink 99% of the time. Waiting until you can get watercooling to overclock (which, for anything worthwhile, would cost up to $200-$300 just for the cpu) is a stupid plan. Also, RAM barely even gets hot, why are you looking for "ram cooling solutions"?

19. Post #19
    August 2011
    87 Posts
    You should go for the standard if you want to save some money and don't have any plans when it comes to overclocking. When it comes to RAM cooling, I really don't know.

You should maybe buy a air-cooler instead of watercooling. Since you will not overclock your processor (at least that is not the main intent) you might as well use a good air-cooler to about 100$

For air-cooling I recomend this one: http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Heatpip.../dp/B002VKVZ1A

I think you should go for the standard version. You do get simply more for the money with that version.

It is a great idea to buy a 670 card btw, you should buy that one :)
    That thing is a little too big xD I prefer getting an Hyper 212 EVO and 1 or 2 more fans for the case and hard drives. That heatsink should be fine
    The asus 670 is a great deal, costs 100 euro less and runs better then a stock 680.

@HolyCrapAWalrus

I'm getting a little crazy with fans because I always run heavy application. I'm just trying to find the best solution. Let's say a want a stable and safe "workstation" even after hours and hours of 100% load

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,301 Posts
    More fans doesn't mean anything, you have to worry about airflow and the pressure inside the case, as a general rule have an equal amount of intakes and outtakes in the front and back respectively. You can overclock and the system will still be stable, and you don't need massive $100 coolers to keep them cool even when overclocked.

21. Post #21
    August 2011
    87 Posts
    More fans doesn't mean anything, you have to worry about airflow and the pressure inside the case, as a general rule have an equal amount of intakes and outtakes in the front and back respectively. You can overclock and the system will still be stable, and you don't need massive $100 coolers to keep them cool even when overclocked.
    With stable I mean low temp for the most. Anyway what cooler do you suggest?

I can get a Hyper TX3 EVO with a cpu and artic 5 paste. But I prefer a Hyper 212 EVO. Any other suggestions?

22. Post #22
    March 2010
    903 Posts
    You DON'T need watercooling.

23. Post #23
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,312 Posts
    You DON'T need watercooling.
    That can be said about anything. If he has the extra cash, I see no issue.

24. Post #24
    Penis Architect
    November 2008
    9,481 Posts
    Just upgrade the GPU for now.
    The i7 920 is still a pretty powerful CPU.

25. Post #25
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    20,495 Posts
    That can be said about anything. If he has the extra cash, I see no issue.
    This is wholely terrible logic
    Don't get it if you don't need it, end it there.
    Otherwise you're just wasting money

26. Post #26
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,312 Posts
    This is wholely terrible logic
    Don't get it if you don't need it, end it there.
    Otherwise you're just wasting money
    Do I need a fast car when I can get from A to B with a slow car? If I want a fast car, and I have the money, I don't see a problem.

If he wants water cooling, and can afford it, let him buy it.

27. Post #27
    March 2010
    903 Posts
    Do I need a fast car when I can get from A to B with a slow car? If I want a fast car, and I have the money, I don't see a problem.

If he wants water cooling, and can afford it, let him buy it.
    Water Cooling won't make a difference if he does not overclock it. A good air-cooler will do the same job CHEAPER.

We are making suggestions. If he did not mind how much money the computer costs, he could buy a pre-built one with only high-end components. He asks us because he wants a lot bang for the buck.

I don't tell him what to buy, I tell him what I would buy in his case.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    20,495 Posts
    Water Cooling won't make a difference if he does not overclock it. A good air-cooler will do the same job CHEAPER.

We are making suggestions. If he did not mind how much money the computer costs, he could buy a pre-built one with only high-end components. He asks us because he wants a lot bang for the buck.

I don't tell him what to buy, I tell him what I would buy in his case.
    and probably quieter

29. Post #29
    August 2011
    87 Posts
    I agree and I will not go for water cooling. It was just a question nothing really serious xD

Anyway I just got back my old pc from the store where my mother left it. They didn't even connect back the satas and power lines. Funny thing is, it boots and it loads windows!!!
    The bad thing is that it freezes after a couple of seconds. The sata controller shouldn't do something like that. But at list I was able to see that everything is there!
    Anyway what do you think about that last config?

-Hyper TX3 EVO 22
    -ASUS P8Z77-V LE 145,80

I think I will overclock just a bit if I see good temps under heavy work

30. Post #30
    March 2010
    903 Posts
    I agree and I will not go for water cooling. It was just a question nothing really serious xD

Anyway I just got back my old pc from the store where my mother left it. They didn't even connect back the satas and power lines. Funny thing is, it boots and it loads windows!!!
    The bad thing is that it freezes after a couple of seconds. The sata controller shouldn't do something like that. But at list I was able to see that everything is there!
    Anyway what do you think about that last config?

-Hyper TX3 EVO 22
    -ASUS P8Z77-V LE 145,80

I think I will overclock just a bit if I see good temps under heavy work
    If you want to play games then go for 2x8 RAM. It allows for faster loading of maps.

31. Post #31
    August 2011
    87 Posts
    If you want to play games then go for 2x8 RAM. It allows for faster loading of maps.
    How does that affect the loading time? Does it cut the bandwidth half when I have 2 sticks for channel?
    I think I will go for 32 anyway, I want to see after effect and premiere pro flying xD

Isn't strange that the computer freezes after a couple of seconds? How can the sata controller affect that? When I run it in safe more it runs longer. Sounds more like a memory fault!

32. Post #32
    Wait... so if I write anything here, it's going to show up under my name?
    December 2009
    7,080 Posts
    Uhm yes it does, and the difference is substantial when you watercool a GPU.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    March 2010
    903 Posts
    Uhm yes it does, and the difference is substantial when you watercool a GPU.
    This is misitepretation of facts (EDIT: You and I have probably not the same view on our facts), I will not go any further then to not recommend watercooling if he won't overclock. It is more expensive, and it can also damage his computer in case of a leak.

34. Post #34
    November 2011
    103 Posts
    TBH his whole rig is fast enough for any game its just his Gpu that would require a nice upgrade... maybe a fancy gtx 680 or 7970 ;o

35. Post #35
    August 2011
    87 Posts
    This is misitepretation of facts (EDIT: You and I have probably not the same view on our facts), I will not go any further then to not recommend watercooling if he won't overclock. It is more expensive, and it can also damage his computer in case of a leak.
    Actually when I was working in London a customer bought his computer saying that it wasn't working.
    I opened and I saw that the water cooling was leaking. To bad for the gpu! It was a gtx 295.
    Anyway as I said, I will probably overclock only if I get good temp.

As I said i'm not looking only for a gaming machine. Let's say 50% gaming and 50% other things

36. Post #36
    November 2011
    103 Posts
    i just suggest a gpu upgrade your i7 is more powerful than a 1100T and those still whiz in games

37. Post #37
    August 2011
    87 Posts
    i just suggest a gpu upgrade your i7 is more powerful than a 1100T and those still whiz in games
    Yeah it's pretty powerfull. The point is that I have to change motherboard because it's broken and I actually don't want to spend money on something that is no longer produced. So that's why i'm upgrading even the cpu. And as a gpu i'm getting a gtx 670 in 4 weeks. Anyway have in mind that I'm looking for something beyond gaming, I mostly play tf2 on mid settings and sometimes games like crysis to enjoy graphics xD For the most I'm planning to use it for editing and rendering (even if I actually render from a game engine most of the times)

38. Post #38
    August 2011
    87 Posts
    Thank guys for all the advice! I really appreciate all your reply! The process went smooth but I was really nervous; every time I touch a computer component I feel like I'm cracking it! But everything is fine and the i7 3770 is at 37-39 in idle and with prime for 20 min it goes around 61. Is that good? Feels really fresh. Actually 32 gb of ram is way too much for general use xD Looking forward to use it all with all my shit!
    Here some pics!

Now I receved my last payment and it's way more then I expected (if i just knew it before!!!) and at this point I will buy more things.
    SSD, gpu and a new monitor.

My main hd is getting a little slow and it makes strange noises. It's probably dying (even if tests are always positive) so I want to get a new hd. This is a good reason to change to ssd.
    I'm actually thinking about the OCZ SSD Agility 3 Series - 240 GB for 174,80 . What I need is something big to store adobe's program and the system and maybe some high fps rendering from tf2 and friends (like a virtual folder for the tf2 folder, not the game files). Speed is important but it's not the thing. I need something that lasts at list for 1 year. Is this a good choice? I want to get 240 gb or more.

I'm still not sure about the gtx 670, don't get me wrong, it's really fast with every game but it lacks in gpu computing (opencl and friends). Maybe my old gtx 275 it's even faster in that. Should I get an 580 or wait for the gk110 (not sure of the name).
    Fermi it's still really fast but of course it lacks of pci express 3.0 and dx11.1 (not a big deal but it's always a little old).
    Not sure of going with ati since I never had issues with nvidia (besides temps) and I know how ati has lots of small problems here and there.
    What should I do??? Maybe gpu computing it's not even that important for lots of apps. I'm so confused and undecided. Any idea?
    About the screen... I need something 23 or more and I'm still thinking about getting a 3d monitor. The main reason is the latency, usually is lower (and I know that refresh rate and latency is not the same but video processors/panels for 120hz are usually pretty good with that).
    Anyway any good monitor 2d or 3d to suggest? I prefer 16:10. I work better with that.

Thanks again for all you help! Looking forward for your answer

39. Post #39
    August 2011
    87 Posts
    Is there anyone able to help me?

I actually changed idea for the ssd, I'm getting a Corsair SSD Force Series GT - 240 GB.
    I'm still thinking about the gpu. I still don't know if getting that one will affect my work. The amd 7970 is fast as the 680/670 and it is far away more powerful in gpu computing ... even if I don't like the idea of going with ati.
    I'm getting crazy! Should I go with the amd 7970 or the gtx 670?

The monitor I'm getting is the Samsung SyncMaster S24A350H. Is it good? Is there anything better?

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,250 Posts
    670, Better driver support etc. Also overclockability (Able to get to 680 speeds)

Ehh, the screen seems to be prertty good.