1. Post #41
    Ask me about my progressive rock fetish
    September 2010
    9,202 Posts
    I have a feeling it's gonna pull a Dead Island, tricking people with all the stuff you can do, and despite all the stuff you could do in Dead Island it got fucking boring as shit. I only played it for 30 mins and quit. Maybe it's just me but this game hasn't gotten my interest at all and these videos haven't changed my mind.
    It's made by Arkane Studios, they haven't made a game in 6 years. I'm sure they will be putting effort into it.

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    4,305 Posts
    Looks cool but I can't help but think the player is too powerful to make it challenging. Based on this demo anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    8,265 Posts
    at the end when he possessed the last guy, i thought he was gonna make him jump off the balcony
    that would've been so badass
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    17,963 Posts
    at the end when he possessed the last guy, i thought he was gonna make him jump off the balcony
    that would've been so badass
    I'm pretty sure if the guy you possess dies, you die too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    8,265 Posts
    yup, just saying

6. Post #46
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,452 Posts
    Could you posses him, throw him off the balcony, relinquish possession, then blink to a safe spot while falling?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

7. Post #47
    DANK
    July 2011
    10,453 Posts
    Those bars in the top corner are way too big, they were all I could focus on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #48
    I have a feeling it's gonna pull a Dead Island, tricking people with all the stuff you can do, and despite all the stuff you could do in Dead Island it got fucking boring as shit. I only played it for 30 mins and quit. Maybe it's just me but this game hasn't gotten my interest at all and these videos haven't changed my mind.
    Di I played all the way, I thought it was pretty boss, and the combat system was great.

Edited:

Looks cool but I can't help but think the player is too powerful to make it challenging. Based on this demo anyway.
    Set it to very hard then? He was doing an easy mission on normal as a demo

demos are meant to simply display some raw edited game play

Edited:

Those bars in the top corner are way too big, they were all I could focus on.
    well you have ADD

Could you posses him, throw him off the balcony, relinquish possession, then blink to a safe spot while falling?
    if you're quick enough I guess?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,000 Posts
    The beginning of Dead Island is absolutely awful. I don't blame you for stopping after a half an hour of it. The game does get better later on once you start to get weapons that are not broom handles and paddles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    4,817 Posts
    While the game looks good, the interface just looks way tacky and awful. Feels like a comic book hero bargin bin interface instead of something that would properly go with such a title. Doesn't help that they use excessive video-gamey things like shiny doors/items you can pick up, which are just about the worst and ugliest ways you can point things out to a player.

Also, the enviornment is very static for such a game concept, surprising after Dark Messiah. Such as, it was just weird at about 6:50 in the stealth video that he actually jumps, climbs up, and stands on a ceiling light hanging by a cord to get to the scaffolding, and it doesn't even move or anything - it is completely static. Logically it would never support his weight or even be grabbable anyways. It just comes off to me like this game is going to suffer from your typical consolitus where everything in the level is bolted down and static.

It may seem like nitpicking but the actual game concept and overall design seem really really good and open ended. It's odd to see a game with such free form design stick with tropes and tech that is so outdated, and works against their design. Makes me feel like the game's concepts are being held back by that stuff. And makes me feel like this game would have been better off being made in the next generation, such as a launch title or something.
    I disagree on the shiny items thing. I quite liked it in bioshock.

11. Post #51
    August 2010
    143 Posts
    A. If it's not fixed, it's probably good for the gameplay
    B. It's actually more realistic this way. It's a phenomenon known as change blindness.
    I guess that can kind of apply because you're blinking, but lots of that was just straight movement directly in people's field of vision. People are really good at noticing that, it's what our eyes are for.

Stealth seems way too easy, or at least wrong. Everyone's fucking deaf as well, you shoot people and they die horrible screaming deaths being eaten by rats and the guard on the balcony 1 room away doesn't notice?

I really am excited for this game though. Those fucking stilt-walkers!

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    7,006 Posts
    Man I hate that item wheel. It doesn't feel right scrolling through it with a mouse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 3Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,972 Posts
    That looks amazing, it'd better be preorderable from steam

The only thing that bothers me is that there are way too many abilities which can make the game easy

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    10,954 Posts
    well you have ADD
    thats funny I do but didn't have that problem faggot

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    10,144 Posts
    The powers have a cool down timer etc. Watchtowers are gonna be a bitch to combat.

16. Post #56
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,972 Posts
    The only powers that really worry me are the possess and time stop
    What stops you from just possessing someone in the middle of a gunfight? What stops you from stopping time, killing everyone, waiting for the mana to regen and repeat x100

That would be fun though

17. Post #57
    March 2010
    1,168 Posts
    that blink and possession ability really caught me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Indonesia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #58
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    10,144 Posts
    What stops you from just possessing someone in the middle of a gunfight? What stops you from stopping time, killing everyone, waiting for the mana to regen and repeat x100

That would be fun though
    They'll see you possess people for one. As for time stop why would you sit around for ages waiting for it to regen when you could use other powers? That would be fucking boring.

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,579 Posts
    May just be so they could demonstrate the abilities easily, he did have everything unlocked in the wheel so that probably the reason.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #60
    January 2009
    1,058 Posts

That would be fun though
    http://www.bethblog.com/2012/06/15/w...dishonored-qa/

Q: How does mana work in Dishonored?

A: A small portion of the mana bar regens; just enough to use powers like Blink and Dark Vision, making them basically free. Beyond that, for the expensive powers like Possession or Bend Time, the player must rely on Piero’s Spiritual Remedy (mana potions).

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    November 2006
    6,827 Posts
    While the game looks good, the interface just looks way tacky and awful. Feels like a comic book hero bargin bin interface instead of something that would properly go with such a title. Doesn't help that they use excessive video-gamey things like shiny doors/items you can pick up, which are just about the worst and ugliest ways you can point things out to a player.

Also, the enviornment is very static for such a game concept, surprising after Dark Messiah. Such as, it was just weird at about 6:50 in the stealth video that he actually jumps, climbs up, and stands on a ceiling light hanging by a cord to get to the scaffolding, and it doesn't even move or anything - it is completely static. Logically it would never support his weight or even be grabbable anyways. It just comes off to me like this game is going to suffer from your typical consolitus where everything in the level is bolted down and static.

It may seem like nitpicking but the actual game concept and overall design seem really really good and open ended. It's odd to see a game with such free form design stick with tropes and tech that is so outdated, and works against their design. Makes me feel like the game's concepts are being held back by that stuff. And makes me feel like this game would have been better off being made in the next generation, such as a launch title or something.
    Couldn't agree more. The textures also look like something from RAGE while constantly looking around.

It doesn't look great, it looks decent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #62
    I know its plague infected, but the cities still felt too dead.

23. Post #63
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,838 Posts

That would be fun though
    1. Limited time. Possessing a human takes a huge amount of mana.

2. If whoever you possess dies, you die too.

3. I assume people can see you do it, and thus shoot whoever you possess.

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2007
    17,086 Posts
    the atmosphere reminds me of thief, 10/10 goty

25. Post #65
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,712 Posts
    The graphics/art style really bother me. I was expecting them to be very dark, gritty, and realistic looking. It looks cartoony, and the textures look really low res.

26. Post #66
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    10,366 Posts
    The graphics/art style really bother me. I was expecting them to be very dark, gritty, and realistic looking. It looks cartoony, and the textures look really low res.
    Why would you expect that? That art style is what they showed with the very first screenshots forever ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

27. Post #67
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    3,852 Posts
    The brutal playthrough was much more badass than the stealthy one.

28. Post #68
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,712 Posts
    Why would you expect that? That art style is what they showed with the very first screenshots forever ago.
    I meant something more akin to the trailers.

29. Post #69
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    6,125 Posts
    The brutal playthrough was much more badass than the stealthy one.
    I liked the stealthy one. Smooth and professional.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

30. Post #70
    100% Homemade
    September 2007
    8,387 Posts
    I'm going to play it stealthy, but kill as many people as I can.

Just because.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

31. Post #71
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    17,963 Posts
    I don't think blink suppresses your speed, like Portal's portals. If you teleport while falling, you'll probably still land at the same speed, hence why in the first video he jumps then possesses someone rather than blinking.

Plus seeing where he threw him off the balcony there's probably only water under it, and I doubt you can teleport right on water in the game.

Edited:

Man I hate that item wheel. It doesn't feel right scrolling through it with a mouse.
    You probably won't scroll through it but much rather hover the mouse over it, like in Crysis (which was a PC game and still had a similar wheel, because it works well imo)

Edited:

Just because.
    You'd probably have a lot of fun playing The Chronicles of Riddick : Escape from Butcher Bay if you haven't played it already.

32. Post #72
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    6,125 Posts

Just because.
    I'll probably avoid killing guards for the most part. They're just doing their duty, afterall.

33. Post #73
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2007
    17,086 Posts
    I'll probably avoid killing guards for the most part. They're just doing their duty, afterall.
    aren't they the ones who also help exterminate some of the population? if so, fuck em

34. Post #74
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    6,030 Posts
    I'd assume their duty also involved keeping Corvo imprisoned before he got his powers, so they probably hate him with a passion. I'll have no qualms about killing them. Besides, I prefer a mix of stealth and action to straight-up sneakiness.

35. Post #75
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    6,125 Posts
    I'd assume their duty also involved keeping Corvo imprisoned before he got his powers, so they probably hate him with a passion. I'll have no qualms about killing them. Besides, I prefer a mix of stealth and action to straight-up sneakiness.
    Yeah, but for what they know, he killed the Empress.