1. Post #81
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    19,806 Posts
    I don't Pin anything, it's annoying. Then again I do use just an alternate form of desktop shortcuts + pinning with Rocketdock, but I would much rather have the Start button because no matter what, ALL my programs are in there without cluttering my desktop OR taskbar, and don't require me to go through C drive and program folders to find it

2. Post #82
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,735 Posts
    I can tell you why Microsoft is doing this. There was an IAMA on Reddit about a month ago by a guy who was on their future development team. This team works on products that are about 8 years out, most of which never see the light of day.

A lot of their products are products that people simply aren't ready for. Programs that constantly track your location, things you like, your messages, phone calls, etc to deliver content, information, and just do really cool stuff. Try implementing something like that right now, and most people would be worried and not want all of that information to be monitored, you have to make them used to sacrificing that information.

This is the same concept. The new UI is just different, it is streamlined for multiple platforms. The thing is, not many of us have a windows tablet, phone, and PC, so a lot of people do not like Metro. However, you're never going to have a UI like Metro succeed if you're not assertive with it and usher it in. It's not a bad UI, it is just different, it is not what power users are used to, but Metro UI is going to play a big roll in your Windows machines in the future.

tl;dr Microsoft is preparing for the future. The functionality is still there. Don't be so resistant to change. You can bet that Microsoft has big plans with Metro in the future. It wouldn't make such a drastic change for no reason.
    This is actually a really huge internal problem now at MS. For example, an app that scans your email/calendar/stickynotes for todo lists and reminders, sync that automatically via your phone or slate or laptop, then when you are near that location, it sends you a reminder to pickup those items or go to your appointment. So the app could do stuff like look at the txt messages from your wife, and alert you that you need to pickup eggs when you approached your grocery store or stuff like that. Like the IAMA said, people don't like that stuff in the sense that they view it as a violation of privacy.

Another problem is that people hate change. 50% of the time, people dislike a change (that after research showed increased productivity, or increased usability) simply due to the fact that it's different.

3. Post #83
    Iggy the mean Piggy
    September 2007
    9,080 Posts
    Been using 8 for two days now and I find it so much easier to use than 7, I love the Metro Start menu, I always use the Start button on my keyboard and the only difference between 7 and 8 is that now it brings up the Start menu in full screen instead of in the corner. I can easily find all my installed programs, games and apps! Aand another thing I love is that it most of it looks the same as my phone (Lumia 800) so I don't get the "Ugh, so used to X, now how do I use Y??"

4. Post #84
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    5,306 Posts
    How am I supposed to turn off my computer now?
    Once again, no functionality removed - just changed. Hit windows key -> choose your power off button at the top right. The Metro UI is just a big fluid full screen start menu.

EDIT: I feel like microsoft could have saved themself a lot of trouble if they just referred to the metro interface as the new start menu
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #85
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    725 Posts
    Settings Charm > Power > Pick an option.

6. Post #86
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,129 Posts
    How the hell do you otherwise find programs and enter other vital areas of your computer without clicking the damn start button?!

I am one of those people who nearly always approves of change since I like to experience new things a lot and ditch the old if I can. But this is something I would like to keep the way it is.

7. Post #87
    Iggy the mean Piggy
    September 2007
    9,080 Posts
    Once again, no functionality removed - just changed. Hit windows key -> choose your power off button at the top right. The Metro UI is just a big fluid full screen start menu.

EDIT: I feel like microsoft could have saved themself a lot of trouble if they just referred to the metro interface as the new start menu
    You don't even need to hit the windows key, mouse to the top right, slide down, push settings, power, off.

Edited:

How the hell do you otherwise find programs and enter other vital areas of your computer without clicking the damn start button?!
    Windows explorer?

8. Post #88
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,129 Posts
    You don't even need to hit the windows key, mouse to the top right, slide down, push settings, power, off.

Edited:

Windows explorer?
    But you always click the start button before. Unless you have shortcuts for it. Sure you can just do that but the start button is essentially that shortcut.

9. Post #89
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    21,151 Posts
    Win + I Opens this on the right of your screen

Edited:

I don't Pin anything, it's annoying. Then again I do use just an alternate form of desktop shortcuts + pinning with Rocketdock, but I would much rather have the Start button because no matter what, ALL my programs are in there without cluttering my desktop OR taskbar, and don't require me to go through C drive and program folders to find it
    aand the start menu + button still exists, read the thread

10. Post #90
    Ask me about my 'female train' fetish.
    Dennab
    January 2006
    5,457 Posts
    I tie most of my games into Steam these days, but for everything else I use the Start Menu. granted I rarely use the button and instead tap my WINkey but still it should remain.

11. Post #91
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,288 Posts
    Wait... so the functionality is still there? People are just angry because the button is missing? This whole time people were freaking out, I was thinking that the functionality was completely missing.
    The functionality is moved over to a FULLSCREEN MENU with a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SETUP. It's not the same thing, at all.

The metro UI is the new start menu. It's fucking awful for people like me that just wants to quickly boot up their favourite programs that they have pinned to the start menu and not have such an action block out everything you're currently doing until you've clicked on the program you want to run. It's extremely annoying.

I can tell you why Microsoft is doing this. There was an IAMA on Reddit about a month ago by a guy who was on their future development team. This team works on products that are about 8 years out, most of which never see the light of day.

A lot of their products are products that people simply aren't ready for. Programs that constantly track your location, things you like, your messages, phone calls, etc to deliver content, information, and just do really cool stuff. Try implementing something like that right now, and most people would be worried and not want all of that information to be monitored, you have to make them used to sacrificing that information.

This is the same concept. The new UI is just different, it is streamlined for multiple platforms. The thing is, not many of us have a windows tablet, phone, and PC, so a lot of people do not like Metro. However, you're never going to have a UI like Metro succeed if you're not assertive with it and usher it in. It's not a bad UI, it is just different, it is not what power users are used to, but Metro UI is going to play a big roll in your Windows machines in the future.

tl;dr Microsoft is preparing for the future. The functionality is still there. Don't be so resistant to change. You can bet that Microsoft has big plans with Metro in the future. It wouldn't make such a drastic change for no reason.
    Each device should have it's own UI that is fitted for it. The Metro UI is loved by the community when it comes to how it works on their phone. But hello, a phone isn't the same as a PC that has a mouse and keyboard.

I am totally onboard with the whole "You have to force change" because that's something most companies really struggle with doing, killing off things that hold them back... Like Windows XP... But this is a standard feature that pretty much defines Windows in terms of looks and is what the customer expects and is used to. I don't understand how they can just completely kill it off in one step. Couldn't it be more gradual? Why not deliver both solutions and then track statistics and see which is used the most and then if the percentage is really high for metro then in the next Windows installation the start menu is killed off for lack of usage. Wouldn't that be better instead of "nah, we saw a drop in usage so we just decided to replace it with something entirely different without having any statistics on the new thing, especially not tested against eachother".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #92
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,724 Posts
    yeah i use the start button a fucking ton but boo fucking hoo don't buy windows 8 unless you want it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

13. Post #93
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,958 Posts
    How will I get to the command prompt now? And running stuff like regedit?

14. Post #94
    April 2012
    566 Posts
    What the FUCK? I always use the start menu for regedit and searching and uninstalling useless programs.

15. Post #95
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,288 Posts
    aand the start menu + button still exists, read the thread
    There is a glossy square and if you click it you get the fullscreen metro UI thrown at you.

If they've changed that please post a screenshot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

16. Post #96
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    725 Posts
    How will I get to the command prompt now? And running stuff like regedit?
    Same way you do in Windows 7.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #97
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,288 Posts
    What the FUCK? I always use the start menu for regedit and searching and uninstalling useless programs.
    You can easily do both.

Searching won't be affected at all, although you have to deal with your whole screen being taken up.

18. Post #98
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,724 Posts
    personally i love the style of windows 8, it's just something you'll have to change into
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #99
    April 2011
    2,625 Posts
    Solution: Replace the windows logo in the start orb with a magnifying glass, and simply make the start menu act as a search.

20. Post #100
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,140 Posts
    there start button is here you idiots

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

21. Post #101
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,288 Posts

If that was a pun then it was bad. Because that is the Windows Key.

Which by the way, brings up the fullscreen Metro UI in W8.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #102
    November 2011
    217 Posts

But most of the time I'm holding my head with the left hand, so I'd rather click it instead of leaving my head hanging in the air. That's just me, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Romania Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #103
    Dennab
    November 2011
    1,860 Posts
    if there was a fall back to the usual windows 7 start menu in windows 8 I would be happy and would quite happily buy windows 8

the metro UI is horrible and has absolutely no place in a desktop OS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Europe Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

24. Post #104
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,980 Posts
    If I had a penny for every time I used the Start button, I'd have enough money to buy Microsoft and shut them down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #105
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,421 Posts
    There is a glossy square and if you click it you get the fullscreen metro UI thrown at you.

If they've changed that please post a screenshot.
    Sounds like a Start button and menu to me. Just in a different form factor.

How is the Start Screen (not Metro you dunces) being a fullscreen thing inhibiting your use of the computer? I honestly doubt you spend enough time in the Start menu for the Start Screen to cause a problem, and I really doubt you look at the windows in the background when you have the menu open, seeing as you'll be navigating through a damn menu.

If anything, the changes to how things are organised, the improvements in the searching function, and some other nice under the hood changes to Windows 8 will mean you spend even less time on the Start Screen than ever. If you have a bunch of applications you open regularly, make a damn group for them and put that first in the Start Screen, that way, bam, pinned applications.

26. Post #106
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    Just because I don't use the Start Button for everything doesn't mean I want to use your shitty iOS desktop bullshit on my PC.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

27. Post #107
    December 2011
    932 Posts
    With the amount of programs and games I have installed on my computer, I NEED a start button.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #108
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    725 Posts
    With the amount of programs and games I have installed on my computer, I NEED a start button.
    Good thing the start menu is still there, huh?

This thread should be case and point on why need the bad reading rating back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

29. Post #109
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    12,943 Posts
    Good thing the start menu is still there, huh?
    A fullscreen phone styled ugly ass peice of shit is not the same as still having the start menu, Metro is fine for phones but windows 8 is well, NOT A PHONE.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

30. Post #110
    Cheesy and delicious.
    August 2010
    6,140 Posts
    So Im a desktop user, I pin the browser, Explorer, whatever my apps are.
    The way people say "apps" instead of "applications" makes me think they're trying to dumb down the idea of the desktop PC into another tablet style OS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #111
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    725 Posts
    A fullscreen phone styled ugly ass peice of shit is not the same as still having the start menu, Metro is fine for phones but windows 8 is well, NOT A PHONE.
    So what you're saying is that Windows Media Center is a phone application? Because Metro originated on the desktop. Windows Phones version of Metro is the third generation of the design.

32. Post #112
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    7,151 Posts
    I never even properly use the start menu anymore, I just hit the windows key, search for what I want, then go. The menu itself gets too fucking cluttered. I could happily just replace the start menu with a search bar.

33. Post #113
    Iggy the mean Piggy
    September 2007
    9,080 Posts
    The way people say "apps" instead of "applications" makes me think they're trying to dumb down the idea of the desktop PC into another tablet style OS.
    Except that that's what they're officially called by Microsoft.

Edited:

But you always click the start button before. Unless you have shortcuts for it. Sure you can just do that but the start button is essentially that shortcut.
    Doesn't 7 come with the Explorer already pinned to the taskbar? I'm pretty sure it was like that for me

34. Post #114
    #lmao #owned
    January 2009
    4,541 Posts
    i don't like the sound of this but i'm sure i'd get used to it if i got windows 8

35. Post #115
    Cheesy and delicious.
    August 2010
    6,140 Posts
    Except that that's what they're officially called by Microsoft.
    Never noticed that. I must be slow as fuck.

36. Post #116
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    481 Posts
    OK, even if users were not using the start menu, it doesn't mean that the code should literally be ripped out from Windows 8, preventing anyone from re-enabling it.

37. Post #117
    The Disabled Kid
    Dennab
    February 2011
    4,770 Posts
    gotta love microsoft

uses start button for 17 years

"nobody uses it let's get rid of it"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

38. Post #118
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,735 Posts
    Apps are the ones that get live tiles, etc. They're also known as WinRT applications. They behave like apps on a tablet/phone: they autoupdate, etc. They also can't fuck up your computer in the slightest as they are completely sandboxed.

39. Post #119
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,801 Posts
    gotta love microsoft

uses start button for 17 years

"nobody uses it let's get rid of it"
    They didn't say nobody uses it. Read the quote from Microsoft, not the title.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #120
    Hello, my name is Penis. Please refer to me as such. I'm totally cool with it.
    November 2009
    4,724 Posts

My IBM Model M doesn't have a Windows key.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)