1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,661 Posts

USA Today posted:
    When parents send children to school or camp, they may worry about many things, from bullies to bus accidents. But unauthorized sunscreen use?

It turns out that many schools and camps do that worrying for parents, with policies that ban kids from carrying sunscreen without a doctor's note and warn staffers not to dispense it. Such policies are getting new scrutiny this week, thanks to Jesse Michener, a mother in Tacoma, Wash., who was horrified to see two of her daughters, ages 11 and 9, return from a school field day with severe sunburns.

The girls have extremely fair skin, and none of the adults at the event offered them sunscreen or shade, for that matter as a rainy day turned sunny, Michener, 37, wrote in a post in her blog, Life.Photographed, that got nationwide attention. More than a week later, their skin still is peeling and red, Michener told USA TODAY Wednesday: "It's appalling."

Michener says school officials have promised her the sunscreen policy will be changed by fall, thanks to a change in state law that gives schools new leeway on handling over-the-counter drugs. Shannon McMinimee, a lawyer for Tacoma Public Schools, said in an e-mail that the school board was expected to review the policy but would need to seek guidance from state officials and health experts first.

But sunscreen rules are common. They typically stem from state and local policies that stop kids from bringing any drug including non-prescription drugs to school, says Jeff Ashley, a California dermatologist who leads an advocacy group called Sun Safety for Kids.

Sunscreens are regulated as over-the-counter drugs, so many districts treat them like aspirin, just to be safe, he says.

Ashley helped get California to pass laws that say kids have a right to bring sunscreen, hats and other sun gear to school. That was nearly a decade ago, but as far as he knows, no other state has done the same.

So there's a mish-mash of policies. Often, "sunscreen application at school seems to be an issue that each individual school district rules on," says Jennifer Allyn of the American Academy of Dermatology. "Some treat sunscreen as they would any other fragrance-type product, and forbid their use to avoid allergic reactions. Others require a doctor's note, and others treat sunscreen like something as basic as Chapstick." The academy endorses sunscreen use but has no policy on how schools should handle it, she says.

But Ashley says allergy concerns are overblown: "Sunscreen allergies are no more common than allergies to soap. Are schools going to take soap out of their bathrooms?"
    Another common concern: Adults will get in trouble for inappropriately touching kids if they help apply sunscreen. That was the question in Maryland last summer when the state enforced, then repealed, a rule forbidding camp staffers or even other kids from slathering lotion on campers. Now it's OK, as long as parents say it is.

Michener says her daughters also were forbidden to bring hats to school. That's another common policy, Ashley says. "Schools will tell you hats can be signs of gang affiliation." Some schools dodge that danger, he says, by selling or supplying identical sun-safety hats.

Parents who find their school or camp lacks a sensible sun-safety policy can form committees to change the policies, he says. Tips on how to do that and what to include are at sunsafetyforkids.org.
    Michener has joined another group, Project Backback. It also advocates for sun safety at schools and is affiliated with a sunscreen maker.
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...77080/1?csp=hf
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 68Funny Funny x 7Dumb Dumb x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    USER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM REALITY - RETRY CONNECTION IN 5 MINUTES
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    Holy fuck that picture is disgusting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 92Disagree x 10Funny x 1Friendly x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,079 Posts
    Who, what? how...

Can you even do anything negative to your body with sunscreen besides swallowing it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 32 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,038 Posts
    ...derp. Just...derp. Schools in most reasons advocate it's use, not ban it entirely.

Blithering idiots.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

5. Post #5

August 2011
    5,969 Posts
    It's just dry skin that has peeled off...have you never had a sunburn?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 28Agree Agree x 4 (list)

6. Post #6
    April 2011
    781 Posts
    And? Is that relevant to the fact that it looks disgusting?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 19 (list)

7. Post #7
    I can't think of a good title.
    May 2010
    17,175 Posts
    God, schools are so incredibly paranoid about absolutely fucking everything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 33 (list)

8. Post #8
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    Yea I have. Dry, peeling skin is very disgusting to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    6,840 Posts
    Tacoma, Washington.

To be fair, I can understand why the school staff didn't have sunscreen on hand.

The Sun is a bit of a myth, here in Washington.

Jokes aside, this is terrible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Dennab
    June 2012
    896 Posts
    That's sickening.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    October 2010
    905 Posts
    I'm sure this is a money thing, some how this will increase the schools revenue some how, in some way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    Tacoma, Washington.

To be fair, I can understand why the school staff didn't have sunscreen on hand.

The Sun is a bit of a myth, here in Washington.
    It's summertime and it's been gradually getting sunnier each day. We get plenty of sun in the summer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,197 Posts
    Was the image really necessary, its nice to read the news and eat breakfast at the same time and that doesn't exactly make it easy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 10Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    Dennab
    June 2012
    1,199 Posts
    Sorry to derail the thread, But is that title really fucking necessary Gmod4ever
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 38Agree Agree x 10 (list)

15. Post #15
    May 2010
    276 Posts
    Michener says her daughters also were forbidden to bring hats to school. That's another common policy, Ashley says. "Schools will tell you hats can be signs of gang affiliation." Some schools dodge that danger, he says, by selling or supplying identical sun-safety hats.
    Not to be the guy going ''Murica haha'' but isn't that batshit insane? Like if kids start thinking a Lakers cap or whatever of a certain color is in fashion and they wear at as groups (school is all social circles) then the school panics? And if not that, that last part, it's just weird. I want a picture of those sun-safety hats. Sounds goofy.

16. Post #16

August 2011
    5,969 Posts
    Not to be the guy going ''Murica haha'' but isn't that batshit insane? Like if kids start thinking a Lakers cap or whatever of a certain color is in fashion and they wear at as groups (school is all social circles) then the school panics? And if not that, that last part, it's just weird. I want a picture of those sun-safety hats. Sounds goofy.
    In a city near where I live, the hats indicating gang "affiliation" among teenagers is true - they tilt their hats either to the right or to the left to identify which gang they belong to. Of course most of them are too dumb to know their right from their left so now they just use colors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,976 Posts
    The ban on hats is a bit silly, I believe. Our school says it's a distraction, although I think that's utter bullshit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    3,787 Posts
    Now I'm really burnt.

I personally never use sunscreen, I don't burn, but I've seen some pretty grim looking sunburns regardless.

19. Post #19
    August 2010
    1,558 Posts
    The ban on hats is a bit silly, I believe. Our school says it's a distraction, although I think that's utter bullshit.
    Our school won't even let us put hats/hoods on/up until we leave the building. Nobody has given me an answer as to why they don't allow it though, as with a majority of the rules I have problems with.

Edited:

Now I'm really burnt.

I personally never use sunscreen, I don't burn, but I've seen some pretty grim looking sunburns regardless.
    I also never use sunscreen, but it's just because my hair shades the rest of my body really well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    hey
    August 2006
    6,099 Posts
    is there a study done by some university or something about the current state of mandatory public education

if there is, i would like to read it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    3,787 Posts
    In a city near where I live, the hats indicating gang "affiliation" among teenagers is true - they tilt their hats either to the right or to the left to identify which gang they belong to. Of course most of them are too dumb to know their right from their left so now they just use colors.
    Why does every school have retarded dress codes like this? Where I go you can't even wear a bandana, regardless of colour. The closest thing we have to a gang my town is a bunch of druggies who like to hangout outside of convenience stores. What use is gang colours on school property?

22. Post #22
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    6,840 Posts
    Sorry to derail the thread, But is that title really fucking necessary Gmod4ever
    I didn't buy it, Jeeves.

yawmen posted:
    It's summertime and it's been gradually getting sunnier each day. We get plenty of sun in the summer.
    I wish I lived where you do.

It hasn't stopped raining for the past four days here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    November 2011
    531 Posts
    is there a study done by some university or something about the current state of mandatory public education

if there is, i would like to read it
    yeah here it is:
    "batshit awful"
    ~Pbox, M.D.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    July 2010
    5,276 Posts
    Looking at it another way, sunscreen can inhibit vitamin D intake from the sun. To make up for that with your diet, you really do need to have a massive one but then you also get the massive intake for all your other needs. Read on the news recently how vitamin D deficiency is growing rapidly among the population, but not sure exactly whether that is because of people putting on sunscreen every time they step outside or not going outside enough.

However it is pretty stupid to ban shades and sunscreen for these camps, kids are going to be outside alot and of course you don't want too much exposure.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    1,214 Posts
    why is sunscreen an "over-the-counter drug"?

i dunno about what they put in sunscreen over in the US but in Australia no one cares, you can buy it from supermarkets and everything.

in events like these usually the teachers will bring a few bottles on excursions too if students forget because the sun is a complete killer here
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 10Late Late x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    beep
    January 2006
    7,773 Posts
    In my school they had teachers sitting at the entrances just waiting to bitch at kids for having their hoods up or a hat on. what was hilarious was you could wear a hat on some days only if you bought a 2$ sticker to do so.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    April 2011
    115 Posts
    Seriously, look at the awful quality on that thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,976 Posts
    Our school won't even let us put hats/hoods on/up until we leave the building. Nobody has given me an answer as to why they don't allow it though, as with a majority of the rules I have problems with.

Edited:

I also never use sunscreen, but it's just because my hair shades the rest of my body really well.
    Same.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,661 Posts
    why is sunscreen an "over-the-counter drug"?

i dunno about what they put in sunscreen over in the US but in Australia no one cares, you can buy it from supermarkets and everything.

in events like these usually the teachers will bring a few bottles on excursions too if students forget because the sun is a complete killer here
    In the US, or at least where I live you can buy them from supermarkets without anyone having a second thought.

Some dumbass in the midwest somewhere must have tried snorting sunscreen or something and as a result sunscreen is now banned in public schools across the United States.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    2,342 Posts
    -snip- I should refresh before posting something next time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,808 Posts
    I am a moron fuck!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    2,342 Posts
    It is not an over-the-counter drug, you can go to any Walmart and buy it off the shelf. Possible exceptions being prescription strength shit of course.

It is however treated as over-the-counter (gasp!) by the schools.
    That is what a over the counter drug is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over-the-counter_drug posted:
    Over-the-counter (OTC) drugs are medicines that may be sold directly to a consumer without a prescription from a healthcare professional

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,052 Posts
    That picture is actually easily a second degree burn, which is very serious. You can get second (and third in that the nerves are actually killed) burns from severe sun exposure.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    435 Posts
    I just snorted a line of sunscreen, you guys have to try this shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    8,606 Posts
    I had terrible sunburn just a few weeks ago on my arms and legs for just being outside for 3 hours without suncream in the UK. I could barely move for a week, that picture looks 100x worse than what I had.

36. Post #36
    hey
    August 2006
    6,099 Posts
    put an IMG tag on that picture OP

it's disgusting

37. Post #37
    May 2012
    243 Posts

It's just juicy shit that has been shit out...have you never taken a shit before?

(User was banned for this post ("Trolling or Dumb" - Craptasket))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Funny Funny x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Resident Raccoon
    January 2008
    9,158 Posts
    They banned sunscreen?
    Shit, in Australia it's illegal for schools not to have the stuff available at all times

Oh well, cancers better than drugs amirite?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    May 2012
    243 Posts
    They banned sunscreen?
    Shit, in Australia it's illegal for schools not to have the stuff available at all times

Oh well, cancers better than drugs amirite?
    lol shut the fuck up, entering sunlight is not bad for you, rubbing some mystery shit on your skin in an attempt to fix something that isn't broken might be
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 25 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2007
    17,086 Posts
    jesus christ why did you post that picture of shit, peeled skin isn't that bad

Edited:

lol shut the fuck up, entering sunlight is not bad for you, rubbing some mystery shit on your skin in an attempt to fix something that isn't broken might be
    pretty much everyone in my family has had skin cancer at some point due to exposure to pretty minimal amounts of sun, don't be an ass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 3 (list)