1. Post #1

September 2010
    458 Posts
    the fine that Microsoft has to pay for its abuse of its dominant market position and refusal to provide interoperability documentation. The 1998 case, brought by the Free Software Foundation Europe and the Samba Team and assisted by SIIA, ECIS, IBM, Red Hat and Oracle, was being appealed by Microsoft, which wanted a 2008 ruling and fine to be annulled and to have its costs paid by the Commission and others.

Instead, it has been ordered to pay 95% of the commission's costs and 80% of the FSFE, Samba Team and the other intervenor's costs. The Associated Press reports that the penalty for non-compliance with a 2004 order has been trimmed by 39 million to 860 million. Microsoft was initially fined 497 million in 2004, then penalised 280 million in 2006 for non-compliance and again, another 899 million in 2008.

The FSFE's President, Karsten Gerloff, said "The European Commission was right in being tough on Microsoft. We have worked hard to support the Commission in this case, and are extremely proud of the victory we've achieved." The Commission's Joaquin Almunia said the Commission felt the decision "fully vindicates" its action against Microsoft and that, thanks to that action, "a range of innovative products that would otherwise not have seen the light of day were introduced on the market".

Microsoft said it was "disappointed with the Court's ruling," though it had already made provision for the fines and now has no outstanding issues with the EU Commission. Microsoft has not said whether it plans to appeal to the European Court of Justice, the highest court in Europe. The full judgement can be read on InfoCuria, the archive of Court of Justice case law.
    http://www.h-online.com/open/news/it...e-1627263.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Winner x 40Friendly x 7Funny x 4Dumb x 3Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    POLITICAN
    August 2008
    7,384 Posts
    you flip bill gates upside down and more then that will fall out of his pockets
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 41Late Late x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2007
    17,086 Posts
    you flip bill gates upside down and more then that will fall out of his pockets
    too bad gates has nothing to do with ms any more
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 106Zing Zing x 6Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    August 2008
    242 Posts
    abuse of its dominant market position
    This verdict was typed from Windows using Word I bet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Slovakia Show Events Agree Agree x 29Informative Informative x 3Funny Funny x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    July 2010
    5,270 Posts
    This verdict was typed from Windows using Word I bet.
    Gonna play Devil's Advocate but anyways Microsoft Word isn't software that is bundled with Windows... I believe these cases are referring to the software that is integrated into Windows. Fair enough for that though, Windows is absolutely loaded with so many different services such as media players, media centres, DVD authoring tools and basic word processing (wordpad). These things would no doubt underut competitors of similar products who may struggle to get their products to success because some people would rather not bother download alternatives when Windows already comes with what you need.

However, although Microsoft would afford it, 860 million Euro seems absolutely ridiculous.

Edited:

Honestly I'd rather see a Windows operating system with only basic things such as a basic file browser (we already got Windows Explorer), a basic web browser (I'm not too sure on IE9's integration because it is a very competitive browser, I was thinking of something such as a tabbed Windows Explorer with basic internet browsing capabilities) and the accessories such as Notepad (for purposes such as modifying program files, not for proper word processing). However this idea is unrealistic for Windows at least as it (Windows) targets the mass market which needs to consider convenience for all users, rather than my idea of targeting a minimalist market. Somehow reminds me of looking at some "minimalist" Linux distro, "minimalist" yet packing shit such as a word processor and spreadsheet application which not everyone is going to use.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,610 Posts
    Honestly I'd rather see a Windows operating system with only basic things such as a basic file browser (we already got Windows Explorer), a basic web browser (I'm not too sure on IE9's integration because it is a very competitive browser, I was thinking of something such as a tabbed Windows Explorer with basic internet browsing capabilities) and the accessories such as Notepad (for purposes such as modifying program files, not for proper word processing).
    Basically make the "N editions" the standard editions then.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    I'd really enjoy if Micorosft coughed up specifications for its document formats, instead of having to reverse engineer them. I mean, we have OOXML, but Microsoft hasn't really implemented that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

8. Post #8
    my portfolio
    Dennab
    April 2012
    1,392 Posts
    So uhhh.. Who gets that money and what's it going to be used for?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

9. Post #9
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    What the fuck? 1.5~ billion fucking dollars for this? Who gets that much god damn money, and why? Why is a monopoly warning or whatever worth $1.5 billion, why not just force them to slow their rolls or something? Jesus christ, the only thing that can come of this is a hurt economy, fining a massive employer so much fucking money is going to lead to some cutbacks...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,989 Posts
    I don't like Microsoft much anymore. Mainly for that whole Games for Windows live thing and xbo in general. I do like Bill Gates though, quite a charitable man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 22Agree Agree x 8 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    8,397 Posts
    What the fuck? 1.5~ billion fucking dollars for this? Who gets that much god damn money, and why? Why is a monopoly warning or whatever worth $1.5 billion, why not just force them to slow their rolls or something? Jesus christ, the only thing that can come of this is a hurt economy, fining a massive employer so much fucking money is going to lead to some cutbacks...
    Where did you get $1.5bn from it's just over $1bn
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    August 2011
    2,907 Posts
    And it's useless, cause MS is used to just pay their fines and to change nothing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Italy Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

13. Post #13
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    Where did you get $1.5bn from it's just over $1bn
    1.3 billion, I was closer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    8,397 Posts
    1.3 billion, I was closer
    No you are wrong, have you actually looked this up or are you just guessing

Edited:

The 2008 fine was equal to about 1.3 billion but not the latest one, which is about 1.1 billion

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...85Q0B720120627
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    No you are wrong, have you actually looked this up or are you just guessing

Edited:

The 2008 fine was equal to about 1.3 billion but not the latest one, which is about 1.1 billion

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...85Q0B720120627
    Damn my ignorance and uncaring of foreign currencies, I thought this was pounds, I apologize for the misunderstanding

Either way its still too much god damn money to fine a company
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,691 Posts
    wow is the EU trying to pay up its debt by fining Microsoft lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 33Funny Funny x 10 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,496 Posts
    Am I understanding this article correctly?

abuse of its dominant market position and refusal to provide interoperability documentation
    Not sure exactly how much the first part affected the hearing since they provide no examples in the source but they were sued in part because they wouldn't help others reverse engineer their own software? I'm seriously confused.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,872 Posts
    He's still a chairman at Microsoft, and probably ahs a lot of influence. Ballmer is the big guy, though.

19. Post #19
    January 2010
    673 Posts
    Am I understanding this article correctly?

Not sure exactly how much the first part affected the hearing since they provide no examples in the source but they were sued in part because they wouldn't help others reverse engineer their own software? I'm seriously confused.
    They have the dominant PC market and refuse to document how to make others work with it's network protocol.
    In a monopoly, that hurts potential competitors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Movie quote goes here, because...
    Dennab
    October 2008
    8,076 Posts
    They have the dominant PC market and refuse to document how to make others work with it's network protocol.
    That's almost as stupid as Off-Side in Soccer or American Football in general.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    318 Posts
    if I was running Microsoft I would stop providing service to Europe. case would be dropped pretty quick.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    5,501 Posts
    Are you talking about winsock? Because I've used both winsock and normal sockets on a linux box I had and they've never had any problems communicating, they're supposed to work together fine. Or is this about windows hilarious local file sharing systems that nobody uses?

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    481 Posts
    That is a fuck ton of money, even for a large company like Microsoft.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    January 2012
    984 Posts
    That's almost as stupid as Off-Side in Soccer or American Football in general.
    Off-topic: No offside rule would ruin football, because there would be no passing play, just hoof it to the guy in the area, and defences would have to sit back.

On topic, it was a smaller fine, but due to non-compliance, which I assume is failure to pay the fine, they increased it.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    486 Posts
    Europe, this is your chance, tell them you'll drop the charges if they bring the Start Button back!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,977 Posts
    Good, always wanted a new highway 'round here. Thanks Americans, we'll put them to good use.

Edited:

if I was running Microsoft I would stop providing service to Europe. case would be dropped pretty quick.
    If you did it, the case would not be dropped (because you are pretty much threatening publicly), you'd lose even more money and you'd probably get fined in the US for it too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Zing Zing x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    Dennab
    October 2008
    8,076 Posts
    Service Denial. Some whore-ass alternative would come running pretty fast.

28. Post #28
    Dennab
    May 2012
    338 Posts
    Majority stockholder.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    1,351 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,558 Posts
    Majority stockholder.
    Bill Gates isn't the majority shareholder at Microsoft.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    What fun is there in making sense?
    Dennab
    October 2007
    9,274 Posts
    So uhhh.. Who gets that money and what's it going to be used for?
    It'll probably end up being used to prop up Greece or Spain for a couple more weeks...

32. Post #32

June 2012
    486 Posts

If you did it, the case would not be dropped (because you are pretty much threatening publicly), you'd lose even more money and you'd probably get fined in the US for it too.
    And you think denial of service is illegal why exactly? granted they would prolly lose money if they didnt sell their product there anymore (lose more then the cost of the fine i mean)- it would be a stupid move financially. It would in no way be illegal.

fake edit to point out microsoft is planning on paying this fine by charging eu users even more then usual

33. Post #33
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    Bill Gates isn't the majority shareholder at Microsoft.
    Yes he is.

From Yahoo finance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    5,501 Posts
    Yes he is.

From Yahoo finance.
    This is true - when Bill Gates stepped down he said he would remain the majority shareholder.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    June 2010
    3,929 Posts
    well he did in 1998...

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,558 Posts
    Yes he is.

From Yahoo finance.
    What about all the institutions and funds that hold shares? According to this his stake is around 6.7%. Am I missing something here?

37. Post #37
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    What about all the institutions and funds that hold shares? According to this his stake is around 6.7%. Am I missing something here?
    I guess I didn't read the insitutional ones properly.

38. Post #38
    LOL
    Dennab
    August 2009
    2,070 Posts
    Can somebody explain exactly why Microsoft has to pay some sort of fine?

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    3,831 Posts
    We could all explain it, but it probably wouldn't make any sense to anyone, but a lawyer. The details are that Microsoft has been fined with increasing amounts of money for not following EU competitiveness laws. Nothing too unfamiliar because they've already done it with another technology giant Intel.

40. Post #40
    Dennab
    October 2008
    8,076 Posts
    Microsoft is used to getting sued. the United States kept money-whoring them in the 90's.