1. Post #1

September 2010
    458 Posts

Rough translation:
    Ms Figaro is a teacher who puts a little online activity ideas, posters to learn to read and songs to practice English. Nothing too serious.

And as his last name is Figaro, his students call him Dr. Figaro. So, what is the name of his blog: The Class of Ms Figaro. Logic.

With about fifty hits a day, the blog, buried deep in the Net, attracts a small community school teachers. It's all for the better until the day Ms. Figaro receives an email from the Figaro newspaper, which threatens to sue.

"An exchange less courteous"

Ms Figaro:

"So usually, the expression" F word "is a large Anglo-Saxon word that should not say. In my case, it's my name that I should certainly not say.

I made ​​the mistake of calling me Ms Figaro and this greatly displeases the trademark owner Madame Figaro.

"Maicresse", as my students say, nine years, I greatly appreciate the generosity of my colleagues on the Web. About a year ago, I decided to add my little stone to the edifice. With a blog: The Class of Ms Figaro.

I publish short videos with the day of the week in English, ideas for activities to teach reading, math games ... In short, my modest contribution to the blogosphere school teachers.

In early May, I received an email rather dry Figaro: "Unauthorized use and repeated MADAME FIGARO is an infringement of intellectual property rights [...]. So I thank you kindly immediately discontinue any use of that mark in your blog. "

A little tickled, I reply: "I do not use the brand Madame Figaro, it's just my name. Now, if my humble blog teaching affects your well-known mark, far be it from me to you from the shadows. "

An exchange less courteous. The legal director of the BBC asked me to add my name in the blog title to "eliminate any confusion." No way. I agree however to use the abbreviation "Mrs." instead of "Madam". Not satisfied, Le Figaro found that my humble blog is "very disturbing" and "trivializes the brand."
    http://translate.google.com/translat...233364&act=url
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 73Funny Funny x 9Friendly Friendly x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    I can't think of a good title.
    May 2010
    17,153 Posts
    How dare you have a name.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 122Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,654 Posts
    giant
    fucking
    bullshit

Edited:

Not long ago I also found a possibly copyright infringing surname
    "De Gouw"
    Dutch translation of the LOTR's Shire
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

4. Post #4
    I LOVE NAZIS
    June 2011
    4,517 Posts
    oh shit my last name is harris a company that makes digital microwave radios, wireless local loop telephony systems, broadband wireless access products, and secure communications systems is going to sue me FUCK

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    918 Posts
    article is bullshit.

Ms Figaro is a teacher who puts a little online activity ideas, posters to learn to read and songs to practice English. Nothing too serious.

And as his last name is Figaro, his students call him Dr. Figaro. So, what is the name of his blog: The Class of Ms Figaro. Logic.
    someone seems to be confused on their sex.
    or the translator can't tell between male and female.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 60Funny Funny x 13Optimistic Optimistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Dennab
    August 2008
    4,435 Posts
    Is it just me or is this article really hard to follow?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 48 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,706 Posts
    article is bullshit.

The article is translated from French to English in google translate. No shit it's going to have errors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree x 23Informative x 3Funny x 2Zing x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    I pleasure myself while wearing Combine armour~~
    May 2010
    8,010 Posts
    Glad my surname isn't used by a company, yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    11,051 Posts
    article is bullshit.

Considering the source OP gave is google translator.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    6,480 Posts
    There's a plumber in Italy names Mario. Can he be sued by Nintendo for trademark infringement too? Probably not.Names that are generic can't be trademark.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

11. Post #11
    April 2011
    781 Posts
    And so; Facepunch's days of shouting to the stars "What's next, copyrighting names?!" finally comes to an abrupt closure as the corporate masses find new means for a quick buck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

12. Post #12
    I pleasure myself while wearing Combine armour~~
    May 2010
    8,010 Posts
    There's a plumber in Italy names Mario. Can he be sued by Nintendo for trademark infringement too? Probably not.Names that are generic can't be trademark.
    Shit I meant agree, bloody laggy fucking browser.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 3Artistic Artistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    April 2011
    781 Posts
    Shit I meant agree, bloody laggy fucking browser.
    -snip because he already did it-

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    4,141 Posts
    giant
    fucking
    bullshit

Edited:

Not long ago I also found a possibly copyright infringing surname
    "De Gouw"
    Dutch translation of the LOTR's Shire
    Hah, I know like 5 people with that surname.

15. Post #15
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,610 Posts
    And this is why we need to abolish copyright, ladies and gentlemen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 4 (list)

16. Post #16
    Hello everyone! I would like you to know that I am not a fan of nudity!!!
    May 2009
    6,575 Posts
    article is bullshit.

Pyro
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    3,785 Posts
    I think it's more of need to prevent people from using copyright to bully each other.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

18. Post #18
    October 2008
    14,610 Posts
    I think it's more of need to prevent people from using copyright to bully each other.
    If we take out all the ways we know now, they'll just invent new ways.

It's more effective to just remove the whole thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    [b]MASSIVE HOMOPHOBE[/b]

April 2010
    3,562 Posts
    We should sue anyone named Lockheed or Martin too!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    8,735 Posts
    If we take out all the ways we know now, they'll just invent new ways.

It's more effective to just remove the whole thing.
    Copyrights protect certain content and ideas from getting stolen. What's bad, and what happened in this article, was that it got used against someone.

That's like saying you don't need the Police or the legal system. Sure, sometimes they work against us, counterclockwise, but if we didn't have them, all hell would break loose
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

21. Post #21
    February 2008
    2,048 Posts
    Next thing you know we'll be sued for breathing air.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    11,532 Posts
    Well then I'm fucked, my first name is gonna get me sued by Phillips.

oh wait
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    this link changes
    April 2012
    8,785 Posts
    Scott Clark. Two of the most common names in white society.
    I'm fucked:

Actually, I think this calls for a game in fast threads. I'm making one now!
    EDIT- Post your names here now http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1194199
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 11Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,759 Posts
    So if my name was Sony Ericsson, I would get sued?

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    370 Posts
    No, they would've just killed you because you would've been too great a threat to their profits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,496 Posts
    Getting rid of copyright will lead to a shitstorm of ripoffs that are allowed to use the name and looks of established brands ('Coca-Cola' that isn't actually Coca-Cola, a 'Microsoft' piece of software closer to malware than Norton Antivirus, etc). When the only way to figure out which package of bread is actually Mrs. Baird's and which package of bread just says it is but is actually made out of sand and bug guts is by buying both and trying each, you're going to want copyright back. It needs an overhaul and it needs to be followed less rigorously, getting rid of it completely is a horrible idea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Late Late x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    9,838 Posts
    Getting rid of copyright will lead to a shitstorm of ripoffs that are allowed to use the name and looks of established brands ('Coca-Cola' that isn't actually Coca-Cola, a 'Microsoft' piece of software closer to malware than Norton Antivirus, etc). When the only way to figure out which package of bread is actually Mrs. Baird's and which package of bread just says it is but is actually made out of sand and bug guts is by buying both and trying each, you're going to want copyright back. It needs an overhaul and it needs to be followed less rigorously, getting rid of it completely is a horrible idea.
    Can we at least agree that Software Patents need to go?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

28. Post #28
    My last name is Kennedy, I sure hope NASA doesn't try to sue me!

29. Post #29
    December 2011
    2,265 Posts
    Oh dear. My last name is Macintosh. Apple's going to say I'm infringing their copyright and run me out of business.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Glod Menber
    June 2008
    4,518 Posts
    I checked, there are 49 people called Sony Ericsson in Sweden alone
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    13,287 Posts
    Spelling Eric with a C is not as common as spelling it with a K in Sweden though.
    My sister has a classmate named Sony Eriksson.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,588 Posts
    I know a guy who has the last name of Cox, he hasn't been sued although someone did say "You suck, Cox!" to him once.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,015 Posts
    article is bullshit.

Isn't Ms used for "Master" as well as "Miss"?

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,469 Posts
    Isn't Ms used for "Master" as well as "Miss"?
    Then again what teacher in their right mind would call themselves "master figaro".

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,337 Posts
    Good thing I wasn't named FunnyJunk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Thought her last name would be "Scrolls".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    3,484 Posts
    Step 1: Start family business
    Step 2: Sue family members
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    8,071 Posts
    Relevant.

39. Post #39
    October 2008
    14,610 Posts
    Sure, sometimes they work against us
    The police are far less likely to be used against you than the copyright system.

40. Post #40
    Premature Joculation
    April 2009
    7,932 Posts
    Oh no, my last name is Miller! I guess Ill be sued by Miller Welding and Miller Brewing.