1. Post #161
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    6,204 Posts
    Anyone secretly hoping that they really did run with everyones shit? I mean, sure, it sucks for all those who invested into it but i'd think it would be hilarious if they replaced the site with a large essay basically saying "fuck you, thanks for the free stuff, deal with it" and see the massive amount of drama which would ensue.
    Think about it, all dose people
    all dose items.
    As someone who's never signed into this site

Yeah this would be laughable for me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

2. Post #162
    April 2012
    5,145 Posts
    As someone who's never signed into this site

Yeah this would be laughable for me
    Face it, you are a robot. YOU WERE CREATED TO TRADING ITEMS!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Argentina Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

3. Post #163
    November 2010
    154 Posts
    Essentially the issue responsible for the recent downtime has been happening for a while, but the event that has brought it all to a head has been the recent hijacking of The Director's (a big TF2 items collector) account, and the stealing of all his items by the criminals who hacked his account.

The part that the Warehouse played in this drama is that of being an (unwilling) launderer of these stolen items. You see directly after The Director got his items stolen, 78 of his stolen items turned up on the warehouse, none of these were particularly rare items and none of them were unusuals, but still we pose a problem for the team at Steam responsible for tracking down the culprits. Because dirty items go in then go out to clean purchasers within minutes of the compromised accounts, and worse, keys, bills and buds go out into the culprits account who then trade these currency items to other possibly knowing/unknowing accounts, we actually are a reasonably good place to launder your dirty goods because the trail ends with us.

What Steam want from us is to work on building a system to try and mitigate the ability for people to use us like this. It's too early to discuss the systems that we will be putting in place to do so, but it will ensure a better future for the trading community, and hopefully a decrease in ease of converting stolen goods to real currency.
    Posting it for the lols

how to professionally waste time
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

4. Post #164

December 2011
    401 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Norway Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #165
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    7,551 Posts
    The fact that Valve wants them to make a anti-laundering system is beyond laughable.

I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure Norganna isn't comprised of competent maniacs.

I mean, they're mostly heavily based in the LUA territory, so yeah.

let's wait some months, shall we?
    I find it hilarious that they want to implement ancillary systems to trading before the trading system properly works.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

6. Post #166
    May 2008
    4,708 Posts
    How would they even implement an anti-laundering system anyway.

7. Post #167

December 2011
    401 Posts
    -snip-

8. Post #168
    April 2011
    204 Posts
    I sold some Gold Paint late at night to buy a friend of mine a spy hat later
    Ends up, my gold paint was the last thing sold to the WH
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 25Funny Funny x 2 (list)

9. Post #169

December 2011
    401 Posts
    -snip-

10. Post #170
    July 2011
    284 Posts
    I mean it's not like we could just use item data tracki--

Oh wait, no because Valve's item data doesn't adapt in real time, it takes 2-3 days before it changes.
    I think you're confusing Valve's item database with TF2items' item history. Valve have in no way exposed their item history database. All the API gives you is the current ID and original ID of an item. TF2items uses this to track items through backpacks viewed on their site. This item history system is entirely the creation of TF2items, Valve have nothing to do with it. As far as we know valves item history database is always up to date but valve have not yet exposed any of it through the APIs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #171
    THE GRINCH WHO STOLE COSMETICS
    Dennab
    August 2011
    5,740 Posts
    I don't understand how this can be at the fault of TF2WH. Every single trade is tracked and the whereabouts of every single item is known by Valve, so what's the point of trying to implement some magical anti-stolen-goods process on the website? If this were such a big deal, I'm fairly sure that the people at Steam Support could have restored the poor guy's items (and account) in no time at all.

12. Post #172
    I don't wanna Dang ol' yo.
    September 2009
    9,235 Posts
    I kinda hope they do something about their inventory though. The majority of the high end items are mostly dupes. (All the max heads for example.)

13. Post #173
    October 2011
    1,640 Posts
    well, at least the site's fast now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Zing Zing x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #174

December 2011
    401 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #175
    August 2010
    4,074 Posts
    I don't understand how this can be at the fault of TF2WH. Every single trade is tracked and the whereabouts of every single item is known by Valve, so what's the point of trying to implement some magical anti-stolen-goods process on the website? If this were such a big deal, I'm fairly sure that the people at Steam Support could have restored the poor guy's items (and account) in no time at all.
    They want TF2WH to add some sort of system to stop people from stealing items and then turning them into currency.

16. Post #176

December 2011
    401 Posts
    -snip-

17. Post #177
    August 2010
    4,074 Posts
    The question is why start now?
    Because supposedly Valve wants them to?

18. Post #178

December 2011
    401 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Norway Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

19. Post #179
    July 2011
    284 Posts
    So in other words, if my theory is correct. Their's no way to combat this if Valve won't expose their API. Which would likely not happen, either way.

And that continues the question

Why in the name of Gaben must they hold these accounts hostage.

I mean, really. They want to do research on a small company in Australia, forcing them to code some anti-laundering system.

How long is this going to take you think, anti-laundering system involves a lot of data and it's not done on 1 2 3.

So yeah, thanks Valve.
    Yep pretty much. I have no idea how they would implement an anti laundering system (if TF2WH's statement is taken as fact). There's no way to tell if an item has been traded legitimately or if it is being laundered. The only possible way is to manually mark certain items as high value and manually approve each trade involving them, which of course is completely unfeasible.

20. Post #180
    Dreams of chronic and sustained critglows.
    December 2010
    16,911 Posts
    I wonder if this will lead Valve to make their own WH type system
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 8Winner Winner x 3Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #181
    April 2012
    5,145 Posts
    I hope something like that happens, that would be a good alternative way to trade items.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

22. Post #182
    Dreams of chronic and sustained critglows.
    December 2010
    16,911 Posts
    It would be easier for them, the items could just live in a database somewhere, no need for cumbersome bots. They could verify every item instantly upon trade.

Not sure how they'd set prices though, probably more automated than the WH
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

23. Post #183
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    4,118 Posts
    It would be easier for them, the items could just live in a database somewhere, no need for cumbersome bots. They could verify every item instantly upon trade.

Not sure how they'd set prices though, probably more automated than the WH
    Just make a dang auction house type deal already.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #184
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,618 Posts
    Seriously, add a 7 day waiting period before items sold to the warehouse are listed, problem solved

25. Post #185
    March 2012
    1,215 Posts
    Especially since they hired an economist lately.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #186
    August 2011
    226 Posts
    They should add the abilitie to "lock" an item in your backpack, resulting in it being untradable untill unlocked.
    No password or something, just a long delay between when you choose to unlock an item, and when it actually become unlocked (between a few days and a week).
    That would prevent stolen account to immediatly trade everything away: collectors could just lock all the stuff they have no intent to sell, so when their account gets compromised the hacker would have to wait a few days before being able to steal the item (assuming steam support would take action before that time).

Sadly this would only work if Steam Support's reaction time was fast, which I doubt it is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 7Winner Winner x 2 (list)

27. Post #187
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    1,285 Posts
    They should add the abilitie to "lock" an item in your backpack, resulting in it being untradable untill unlocked.
    No password or something, just a long delay between when you choose to unlock an item, and when it actually become unlocked (between a few days and a week).
    That would prevent stolen account to immediatly trade everything away: collectors could just lock all the stuff they have no intent to sell, so when their account gets compromised the hacker would have to wait a few days before being able to steal the item (assuming steam support would take action before that time).

Sadly this would only work if Steam Support's reaction time was fast, which I doubt it is.
    not bad
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

28. Post #188
    October 2010
    1,679 Posts
    -snip, I thought the announcement was made just now -
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Late Late x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #189
    Resident News Bot
    April 2011
    10,974 Posts
    Another update: http://forum.tf2wh.com/discussion/46...tion-an-update.

triddin posted:
    I feel like now is a good time to let you all know what has been going on and where we are at with regards to the TF2WH bot's accounts being locked.

Before now there was just too much uncertainty and speculation to really divulge anything, but at this point, I would like to feel like were are coming close to a resolution.

However, before I get into that too much, I'd like to fill you all in on the circumstances surrounding this critical point and give you some of the back story so you know why the actions that were taken were necessary.

Essentially the issue responsible for the recent downtime has been happening for a while, but the event that has brought it all to a head has been the recent hijacking of The Director's (a big TF2 items collector) account, and the stealing of all his items by the criminals who hacked his account.

The part that the Warehouse played in this drama is that of being an (unwilling) launderer of these stolen items. You see directly after The Director got his items stolen, 78 of his stolen items turned up on the warehouse, none of these were particularly rare items and none of them were unusuals, but still we pose a problem for the team at Steam responsible for tracking down the culprits. Because dirty items go in then go out to clean purchasers within minutes of the compromised accounts, and worse, keys, bills and buds go out into the culprits account who then trade these currency items to other possibly knowing/unknowing accounts, we actually are a reasonably good place to launder your dirty goods because the trail ends with us.

What Steam want from us is to work on building a system to try and mitigate the ability for people to use us like this. It's too early to discuss the systems that we will be putting in place to do so, but it will ensure a better future for the trading community, and hopefully a decrease in ease of converting stolen goods to real currency.

The Warehouse doesn't want to be a part of this problem, we want to be a part of the solution and we're happy that we're in talks with Steam now to try and get this problem under control. Perhaps we could have pushed for change a little earlier and avoided this situation, however through this evil, we have all come together to improve things so at least something good is to come from this tragedy.

We will of course keep you updated on how the situation evolves, but there is light at the end of the tunnel, and we're working hard to get there as soon as we can.
    Wouldn't be surprising if they implement SteamRep checking of profiles sooner or later.

edit: late apparently, but this is the full thread with a link to the source if someone can't be arsed to look through their forums
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Late Late x 5 (list)

30. Post #190
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    6,204 Posts
    Just make a dang auction house type deal already.
    Shop making

Set your own prices and stock, name, logo etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

31. Post #191

December 2011
    401 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Norway Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

32. Post #192
    August 2010
    4,074 Posts
    Where did they say he's high respected?

33. Post #193

December 2011
    401 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Norway Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #194
    November 2010
    280 Posts
    Note: He must be rather important to provoke such an action by valve, by both marking every staff member at tf2wh and their bots.

Also they seem to have edited that out now.

IT just makes me ooze of hatred that a guy that had items that were NOT even meant to exist can somehow get the judgment of his entire backpack retrieved, even though all of them was given to him through abusing Steam Support and in the end. These items weren't even meant to exist. Why in the whole seven hells does this somehow make Valve want to engage themselves with a community. When they can't even sort out their own Support Staff, who are beyond common sense and hands out stock items each day.

People will find loopholes and in TheDirector's case he decided to abuse the loophole to get a backpack worth over 15.000 USD.
    How are you so sure he was the one who circumvented the support system? Those items go for a lot, maybe he took a loan out or is just a wealthy man who decided to buy them off of other traders or the ones who cheated the system themselves without his prior knowledge.
    Also, what you did on tf2r made me ooze hatred.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #195
    April 2010
    229 Posts
    I loved that place to buy stuff that is incredibly hard to get off from players. Took me days get a Vintage Sports shine, which I could've bought instantly from WH.
    Also paints.

Hopefully something will be worked out, trading with other players is just ugh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

36. Post #196

December 2011
    401 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Norway Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #197
    November 2011
    145 Posts
    Thanks to TF2wh I could finish my vintage (weapons and hats) collection. In tf2op, all of the prices were inflated.
    The problem here is not Tf2wh but hijackers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

38. Post #198
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    4,118 Posts
    re: The Director,

To the best of my knowledge he has traded for every item he owns, nothing to do with Steam support (well, except for now technically I guess).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #199
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,321 Posts
    I don't know if this has been suggested before, but what if they strapped a little tracking number to every individual item, similar to the crafter's name. Someone reports their number to Valve if their account gets compromised, and valve can just remove the items from the account(s) and return them to the owner when they get the account back and the person holding an item with the number is notified.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #200
    November 2010
    280 Posts
    I don't know if this has been suggested before, but what if they strapped a little tracking number to every individual item, similar to the crafter's name. Someone reports their number to Valve if their account gets compromised, and valve can just remove the items from the account(s) and return them to the owner when they get the account back and the person holding an item with the number is notified.
    I'd agree with this as long as the person who bought it from the hijacker got to keep it too, but with a different number or a specific notification (like making the number show up in red) to notify all that it was used in a scam/hijack.