1. Post #1
    February 2008
    1,321 Posts
    I personally I live in the United States, but your 0.02, 0.02, 0.02 are welcome as well.

I personally feel that it's a shame we can't produce drivers competent enough to use their own judgement in deciding what speed is a safe speed to drive, and as far as discouraging dangerous driving, that our legal system is as broken and ineffective as ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    1,910 Posts
    If we're going to allow everyone to use such a potentially dangerous device as a car, then I think there need to be restrictions on what you can and can't do with it. So yes, I think speed limits are necessary to reduce the danger.

Edited:

also OP I feel like you didn't answer your own question. You just said that people aren't smart enough to be careful and the legal framework around driving is ineffective at improving that problem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

3. Post #3
    Ask me about my secret society of Jihadist Mexican Lobsters
    July 2010
    1,214 Posts
    If that was to change, do a before and after on the statistics of car crashes

You'll see why it's there to begin with.

4. Post #4

June 2012
    460 Posts
    A good number of ppl just arent bright enough to drive safely. Cars themselves have mechanical limits on handling in regards to speed, depends on the make/model and year. Cars are deadly weapons, of course there need to be rules in place regarding their use.

5. Post #5
    July 2010
    4,991 Posts
    Speed limits are there to act as guides for the safety of everyone. Having speed limits of 40kmh in a high pedestrian activity area makes more sense than no legal speed limit. However then again most drivers aren't stupid and would actually realise that the area can be dangerous if travelling at high speed, and would travel at a safe speed anyways. Sadly, we cannot guarantee that with everyone and the best we can do is threaten legal action on those who drive unsafe, done so by placing enforced maximum speed limits everywhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

6. Post #6
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    24,792 Posts
    Some places speed limits are useful and good. Other places, they're a hindrance.

The road I take to my university has a sign that says 45 and not 30 yards down the road from it there is another sign that says 25. It's very difficult to slow from 45 to 25 in 15 seconds. I've been pulled over and given a speeding ticket because of it.

But on the other hand, having speed limits in residential areas are very good. Many of them, at least in my area, stay at only 15 or 20mph while it's quite easy to go 35 or 40 without issue. The reason it's so slow is because residential areas commonly have people (and children!) crossing the streets often. Helluva lot easier and better to slam on the brakes at 15 than 40.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,415 Posts
    As speed increases, the time you have to avoid an accident decreases. It's pretty much that simple.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

8. Post #8

April 2012
    30 Posts
    As speed increases, the time you have to avoid an accident decreases. It's pretty much that simple.
    That's overly simple and is not a defense of speed limits as they stand.

9. Post #9
    February 2009
    24,792 Posts
    How is it not? The faster you're going, the harder it is to break and stop if something runs across the road in front of you. If I'm going 10mph down the road and a deer jumps in front of me, I can easily break before I make contact than if I were going 50mph.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,415 Posts
    It's simplified, yes, but overly? Personally, I think it's what it all comes down to. Human reaction time is at around 0.3 seconds, when you're prepared for it - more when you aren't. You then have to actually do something about it as well. Say you're driving along with 100KM/t - not an unusual speed (that's just about 60mph for you American guys) - you're going with ~30m/s, and that means that before you have even stomped the brake, you're probably 30 meters down the road. After that you have the time it takes before you make a full stop, that'll be ~40 meters more in a good car, from what I can find about it. That's 70 meters before you've stopped, at the very least (a lot of studies apparently say ~90 meters). If we say that this is a frontal collission, you can double that. Breaking distance and reaction distance greatly decrease the slower you drive - it may be simple, but it's completely true.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,863 Posts
    On some roads, yes. On other roads? No. Germany's Autobahn is proof enough that an unrestricted public highway can be done without killing everyone that drives on it.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    4,851 Posts
    They're completely useless. If a person is stupid enough to not be a safe driver and hurts or kills someone it's their stupid fault, they should be punished, enforcing a maximum speed on everyone for the stupidity of the few is a terrible idea.

What was that city, I think it was in Austria or something where they removed all road signs and found that people drive really cautiously as a result?

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,324 Posts
    They're completely useless. If a person is stupid enough to not be a safe driver and hurts or kills someone it's their stupid fault, they should be punished, enforcing a maximum speed on everyone for the stupidity of the few is a terrible idea.
    Tell that to the people who get run over by cars doing 50mph in a residential area. Once someone is dead, you can't get them back by suing whoever hit them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    256 Posts
    Speed limits are fine in most cases, in some like motorways it could be raised. and I would like to see it raised further at night when there's no one around. but not through towns.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

15. Post #15
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    3,691 Posts

What was that city, I think it was in Austria or something where they removed all road signs and found that people drive really cautiously as a result?
    I really don't trust the people around me and I've seen some incapable drivers on the road, so the argument that, "Hey, I can drive myself just fine!" is totally valid until you realize that the entirety of the problem isn't just you. It's going to be James, the horrified idiot that can't handle the speed complete with broken brakes that slams right into you.

And I think the end result would be idiots driving insane speeds anyway - at least here in America. And people already do it. That's coming from someone who's not really for prohibition in many cases too, I just feel removing the cap would make the road home for more people that think 45 MPH in a residential area is totally fine.

Now, where I feel somewhat better on removing the speed limits is if everyone was re-educated and there was some law to maintain sane speeds, i.e. speeding is still something you can get punished for if you're being ridiculous. Still, I wouldn't trust many people around me.

16. Post #16
    June 2010
    3,507 Posts
    I think freeways and interstates between cities could be increased to 100, maybe 120mph.
    But other than that, for the most part the current limits are perfectly fine.

17. Post #17
    March 2012
    1,001 Posts
    In some places there should not be any restrictions, like the Autobahn. But in towns and cities where people are likely to cross there should be some, yes there should be. Imagine some idiot going 90km/h down a street and some kid runs across.. No way to stop in time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Iceland Show Events

18. Post #18
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,545 Posts
    I for one enjoy how the main function of speed limits today appears to be to get $$$ for the police department.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

19. Post #19
    February 2009
    24,792 Posts
    I for one enjoy how the main function of speed limits today appears to be to get $$$ for the police department.
    I think that's more of a corrupted loophole in the use of them opposed to why they're implemented today.

A friend of mine got a speeding ticket last week for going 45 in a 30 zone. The reason he was going 45 was because the cop wouldn't stop tailgating him and he hadn't any choice but to keep up speed.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,048 Posts
    I think that's more of a corrupted loophole in the use of them opposed to why they're implemented today.

A friend of mine got a speeding ticket last week for going 45 in a 30 zone. The reason he was going 45 was because the cop wouldn't stop tailgating him and he hadn't any choice but to keep up speed.
    Uhhh...
    What? That is the worst excuse ever.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,415 Posts
    On some roads, yes. On other roads? No. Germany's Autobahn is proof enough that an unrestricted public highway can be done without killing everyone that drives on it.
    That's true, but that's not left out in my point. On a small road in the mountains with no space failures, it's a bad idea to go 100Km/t, because you won't be able to react if something goes wrong. Going 100Km/t on an autobahn is not a bad idea, as you have much more space and therefore more reaction time. I simply said that reaction time is what it really all comes down to - of course there's surroundings as well (what you might accidentially hit), but the speed limits are primarily there to prevent accidents and then to limit the extent of the accident.

22. Post #22
    M24
    January 2011
    229 Posts
    (Regarding UK roads). I believe that on the motorway there should be a lane or two with an unlimited speed limit. Other than the motorway i firmly believe that speed limits are needed. The standard of driving amongst some drivers, hell even my mates, really is bad and some of the speeds they travel at are just ridiculous.

On another note, I'd ideally quite like to see 30mph - 50mph maybe raised by 10mph after 11pm at night.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

23. Post #23
    Dennab
    June 2012
    896 Posts
    IMO, they should be a little more noticeable, sometimes people barely know the signs are there.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    977 Posts
    I don't think speed limits are the problem, I think (and yes, if you could, I'm sure you'd give me your boxes and x's) insurance is the problem. If people were more financially and personally responsible for their actions, perhaps they'd shape up.

25. Post #25

October 2011
    10 Posts
    Due to human nature, speed limits in certain areas are crucial, if not necessary, to secure safety of pedestrians. But, of course, there are cases in which limit will not be of any help - take a drive under effects of alcohol as an example.
    However, I don't feel like a system in my country is ineffective (I am not in USA/UK, mind you), though I beleive drunk drive prevention needs more attention.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events

26. Post #26
    February 2009
    24,792 Posts
    Uhhh...
    What? That is the worst excuse ever.
    Have you ever been tailgated before?

27. Post #27
    ASK ME ABOUT MY PLAYBOOK INSTEAD OF COLLEGE
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    Yeah, and I kept obeying the speed limit. Not very hard to do unless you're an immature, easily pressured driver.

Edited:

Especially if it's a cop, what the fuck?

Edited:

My opinion is that speed limits should be lower in some areas, higher in others. Residential areas should have minimal speeds, whereas large, open freeways should have much, much higher limits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,460 Posts
    Speed limits make sense if a large number of people have access to a range of powerful vehicles, although given the correct infrastructure you could allow rather high speed limits.

For example, you could connect major population centres with High-speed motorways (speed limits >= 160 km/h) that have two or more "high speed" lanes, with perhaps two more low speed lanes for people driving economical cars and trucks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

29. Post #29
    If you do that when you get tailgated you shouldn't be on the roads.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

30. Post #30
    July 2012
    120 Posts
    As much as I personally hate speed limits, I know how much they really do help in terms of safety. Personally, though, I feel like the punishments for speeding tend to be too drastic and need to be revised. Paying 200 dollars for only going 10 over on an unpopulated road in the middle of the night? No thanks.

I believe an even better solution to fixing speed limits, in america at least, is to add a goddamn high-speed monorail system already.

31. Post #31
    October 2011
    863 Posts
    Speed limits are fine in most cases, in some like motorways it could be raised. and I would like to see it raised further at night when there's no one around. but not through towns.
    Raising it at night is just stupid. I know you said no one is around, but it's A LOT easier to got into an accident at night than in the day. What if a deer crosses the highway at night? more damage is done while driving faster. If it is raining at night on a highway, a smart person stays around 60 mph.

32. Post #32
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts
    I think speed limits are kinda stupid.

It's not like as soon as there's no speed limits, suddenly everyone goes as fast as possible. Sure, they'll be a few people who do that, but most people will go at a speed they're comfortable with, i.e. 60 or 70 mph

33. Post #33
    Dennab
    February 2011
    1,499 Posts
    Teenagers are horrible drivers. Increasing the speed limit anywhere would be horrible.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    4,851 Posts
    Teenagers are horrible drivers. Increasing the speed limit anywhere would be horrible.
    That's a completely biased and stupid generalization.
    I know teenagers that drive better than most adults in my town.

35. Post #35
    July 2010
    4,991 Posts
    This thread has made me wonder, in the US what does it take to get a licence for one to drive around without a supervisor?

In Australia (or at least my state) if you're below a certain age (I think it's 25) you can apply for a licence once you are 16, if you pass the driver knowledge test (quite a number of questions and you're only allowed to get up to two wrong) you then have to log at least 100 daylight hours and at least 20 night hours of driving with a supervisor, and at least a year after you get that licence and if you have all the hours you can apply for a upgraded one that lets you drive without a supervisor, but you also need to go through a driving test (demonstrating low-risk skills in traffic, such as a bit of highway driving, hill starts, and a reverse parallel park or a three point turn) and get above (I think) 90% in that, and not do anything that would cause an instant failure (eg speeding).

So what's it like in the US? or Europe as well?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

36. Post #36
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,119 Posts
    This thread has made me wonder, in the US what does it take to get a licence for one to drive around without a supervisor?

In Australia (or at least my state) if you're below a certain age (I think it's 25) you can apply for a licence once you are 16, if you pass the driver knowledge test (quite a number of questions and you're only allowed to get up to two wrong) you then have to log at least 100 daylight hours and at least 20 night hours of driving with a supervisor, and at least a year after you get that licence and if you have all the hours you can apply for a upgraded one that lets you drive without a supervisor, but you also need to go through a driving test (demonstrating low-risk skills in traffic, such as a bit of highway driving, hill starts, and a reverse parallel park or a three point turn) and get above (I think) 90% in that, and not do anything that would cause an instant failure (eg speeding).

So what's it like in the US? or Europe as well?
    In Norway you first need to take a four day course in traffic safety, which grants you a permit to drive with someone who's had a license for 5 years, and is over 25 years old, or a supervisor with an authorized traffic school

You also need to complete a course where a supervisor drives when it's dark, and explains things about correct use of lights, overtakes etc.

I think you need 12 regular driving lesson hours (45 minutes each), but I'm not entirely sure about that (I had more anyways). You do need to take a driving course on a track where they smear the tarmac with a slippery substance (plant oil or similar), to get a feel for break distance and control of the car when it's slippery.

You also need a long-drive course, which is two days of driving and a little theory. It's quite a long drive as well, but I haven't checked up how long it has to be.

Before you can get your license you need a theoretical and a practical test. The theoretical test has 45 questions and you can get up to 7 wrong to pass.

The practical test is just you driving around a bit, it probably has a few set goals, but none are identical.

When I took mine, I drove on varying roads, including tiny gravel roads and highways, and there was a couple of parking spots where I had to back up into a spot, but no parallel parking.

On the topic of speed limits, I definitely think they are necessary. Loads of people are completely reckless (including some people I know) behind the wheel.

Though, the speed limits here in Norway are ridiculously low, nothing above 100kmh anywhere, and even then 100kmh is only something you see on highways.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Norway Show Events

37. Post #37
    February 2009
    24,792 Posts
    Yeah, and I kept obeying the speed limit. Not very hard to do unless you're an immature, easily pressured driver.

Edited:

Especially if it's a cop, what the fuck?

Edited:

My opinion is that speed limits should be lower in some areas, higher in others. Residential areas should have minimal speeds, whereas large, open freeways should have much, much higher limits.
    Just to update this story - my friend went to court to contest the ticket and won.

38. Post #38
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,119 Posts
    Just to update this story - my friend went to court to contest the ticket and won.
    I understand why TBH.

Being tailgated is horribly annoying and a safety hazard in case you have to suddenly stop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Norway Show Events

39. Post #39
    June 2007
    2,224 Posts

That's the opposite of what you should do. If you slow down slightly it usually causes the driver tailgating you to overtake you.

I'm fine with most of the current speed limits on residential areas, but on highways the limits should be increased imo. Cars and brakes improve all the time, yet the speed limits have stayed the same for ages.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

40. Post #40
    January 2009
    1,079 Posts
    I don't think a speed limit is really necessary on roads that aren't especially dangerous. The majority of people out there are good drivers, and they know which speeds are safe to go at.

There are morons who like to barrel down the road at 120 miles per hour, but would you really need a speed limit to tell that he's driving unsafely?