1. Post #361
    Lmao Pics Authority Jesus
    Dennab
    February 2012
    8,769 Posts
    This is a random idea, and I whole heartedly expect to be flamed with dumbs, but I was playing Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater, the other day, and I was thinking, wouldn't the Mosin-Nagant be a cool replacement for a Sydney Sleeper?

in game, the Mosin Nagant was a tranquilizer rifle.

I think it could work .Could also replace the Machina or somehting.

Edited:

I want to help this project but I have no means to model, and no training :v
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

2. Post #362
    k2.
    July 2011
    1,124 Posts
    This is a random idea, and I whole heartedly expect to be flamed with dumbs, but I was playing Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater, the other day, and I was thinking, wouldn't the Mosin-Nagant be a cool replacement for a Sydney Sleeper?

Edited:

gimp and blender are freeeeeeee
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 4 (list)

3. Post #363
    July 2011
    340 Posts
    Do we need replacement for concheror?
    And what about all swords for demoman?

4. Post #364
    May 2010
    524 Posts

Edited:

The Mosin Nagant is a boring and overused rifle.

A highly modified Enfield L39A1 would make sense, because it's a commonwealth rifle and those are easily available in Australia.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Useful Useful x 1Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #365
    July 2009
    312 Posts

Hexed the Big Earner for the Three Rune for a loose test of the concept, and it actually doesn't look half-bad. It doesn't clip in third person and the animations look fine for it, although in first person it's just slightly too low and clips into his thumb. The animations are too "slashy" rather than "stabby", though, which is why I think it'd be better fitting just being flipped upside down, since Scout's melee swings go down and in towards his front-center and would make it look like he's stabbing with it and easily hitting himself if he misses. I don't quite know how to flip the model on my own though, plus it should be a different model unique to Scout anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #366
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    2,363 Posts

Lose 65 max health because you jammed a giant rubber tube into your artery.
    Backstab and enemy and absorb their blood for a bunch of health and a few STD's.
    Feel your health slowly deplete as said blood slowly seeps out of the completely unsealed tube.

If the tube/tape combination can be attached to some convenient bone somewhere in the vicinity of the Spy's wrist, that would be great. If not, the tube could just disappear into his sleeve.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 17Funny Funny x 7Zing Zing x 1 (list)

7. Post #367
    March 2012
    1,148 Posts
    He'll have to shove it up his vein everytime he draws the Kunai though, as he most likely cuts the hose with all the knife flipping tricks

8. Post #368
    November 2010
    693 Posts
    If you can't have the tube just have some sort of small syringe that goes along the blade and pokes ahead of it slightly, he still looses health from having to inject himself all the time.
    Or connect the pipe to the small syringe that's been attached to the handle instead, the syringe could be based upon the small ones in the Medic's syringe gun as if he picked one up off the ground.

9. Post #369
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    2,363 Posts
    My first idea was to make the whole knife an Übersaw-style syringe, but I don't want to include needles and canisters in every concept I draw.

I admittedly haven't thought of the draw animation, but I still think it might work. I'm a bit too tired to rely on my spatial thinking, but it may be possible to position it so the free-hanging part goes from the handle to the sleeve without being in the way of the blade.

10. Post #370
    January 2012
    1,518 Posts
    can't wait for the pack to be finished :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

11. Post #371

April 2010
    3,460 Posts
    Tried to model that spycicle replacement

http://p3d.in/rbAm7
    dont know if it's fit for this update so comment if it needs changes, ect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 15Artistic Artistic x 3Funny Funny x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

12. Post #372
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    1,304 Posts
    Am I alone in thinking the Kunai fits TF2 fine? The Spy is a well travelled gentleman so picking a knife up from Asia doesn't seem out of place to me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 26Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

13. Post #373
    November 2010
    693 Posts
    I say make the needle thinner and just a tad bit longer, but that's just me, if everyone thinks its good enough just get an awesome texture.
    I rarely use models but once this is made I'm definitely using it, Deodorant you come up with some damn good concepts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #374
    September 2011
    124 Posts
    Am I alone in thinking the Kunai fits TF2 fine? The Spy is a well travelled gentleman so picking a knife up from Asia doesn't seem out of place to me
    I think it's that he magically gains health from killing people is what is at issue with it, rather than the style.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

15. Post #375
    Transformers: Ponies in Bowties
    December 2011
    258 Posts
    I think it's that he magically gains health from killing people is what is at issue with it, rather than the style.
    Visual correlation with the weapon's function is rather inconsistent in TF2; some do have the design/function connotation, like the Soda Popper and Frontier Justice, but many do not, though it would appear designers in this project are favouring the former approach.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #376
    RPG
    January 2010
    867 Posts

Backstab and enemy and absorb their blood for a bunch of health and a few STD's.
    Feel your health slowly deplete as said blood slowly seeps out of the completely unsealed tube.

If the tube/tape combination can be attached to some convenient bone somewhere in the vicinity of the Spy's wrist, that would be great. If not, the tube could just disappear into his sleeve.
    Dude, you have an amazing talent, did they tell you that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chile Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

17. Post #377

December 2010
    177 Posts
    Visual correlation with the weapon's function is rather inconsistent in TF2; some do have the design/function connotation, like the Soda Popper and Frontier Justice, but many do not, though it would appear designers in this project are favouring the former approach.
    I really don't think there's anything wrong with the Kunai and I don't think it needs to change. You're really not making a good item if you have to shoehorn some kind of medical contraption attached to a poking device to make it supposedly fit TF2's theme.

Doing that loses sight of what TF2 is. There is an honest beauty in simplicity. No, it may not seem that Kunai would have vampire-like effects, but the model, silhouette, texture are fine for TF2. There's other weapons which don't 'fit' and the Kunai shouldn't be on anyone's priority list.

The same goes for the Candy Cane, except it's not necessarily a good model to use. Just because it creates health packs doesn't mean you have to force some kind of meaning into that with the weapon. I mean, just look at the Blutsauger. It doesn't look like its syringes would have any vampire-like effect. It's just another needlegun with a different look. It just happens to have that effect. Kunai is just another knife with a different look, but it just happens to have that effect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

18. Post #378
    July 2009
    312 Posts
    I really don't think there's anything wrong with the Kunai and I don't think it needs to change. You're really not making a good item if you have to shoehorn some kind of medical contraption attached to a poking device to make it supposedly fit TF2's theme.

Doing that loses sight of what TF2 is. There is an honest beauty in simplicity. No, it may not seem that Kunai would have vampire-like effects, but the model, silhouette, texture are fine for TF2. There's other weapons which don't 'fit' and the Kunai shouldn't be on anyone's priority list.

The same goes for the Candy Cane, except it's not necessarily a good model to use. Just because it creates health packs doesn't mean you have to force some kind of meaning into that with the weapon. I mean, just look at the Blutsauger. It doesn't look like its syringes would have any vampire-like effect. It's just another needlegun with a different look. It just happens to have that effect. Kunai is just another knife with a different look, but it just happens to have that effect.
    The Blutsauger makes some minor TF2-style sense, though, in that the syringes it shoots could be technically used to draw blood.

Plus the Kunai (and the Candy Cane) may fit texture and modelwise, but the item itself doesn't fit the 50s/60s/70s spy theme and so it doesn't fit into the original theme of the game, which is what this project is about. I, personally, love how these concepts and mods are giving the weapons form to their function. They look nice, they fit the style, and they're easy to understand how they could fit those stats in an exaggerated way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

19. Post #379
    February 2010
    5,469 Posts

I can't model. :(

Based on this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #380
    May 2010
    524 Posts
    I hope the re-designed sniper rifles will fix the issue of the bolt not opening and the bugged casing ejection.

The bolt on the original sniper rifle opens when the Sniper loads another round in the chamber, but on the Bazaar Bargain it remains closed and the bolt handle doesn't even move, it just clips into the Sniper's hand. Don't get me started on the Machina, it doesn't have a bolt handle let alone any kind of bolt.

21. Post #381
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    4,785 Posts
    I, personally, love how these concepts and mods are giving the weapons form to their function. They look nice, they fit the style, and they're easy to understand how they could fit those stats in an exaggerated way.
    in wich case, that "knife attached to vein" concept would work better with the sharp dresser's mechanics/animations in theory.

in fact, the sharp dresser, dessing wise, feels and looks more like a device that would suck the life out of your enemy directly into your body upon kill, while still being an stealth, weapon(hit in the back, you apply the damage directly into your target's spine sucking fuilds out of it into your blood stream).

as if that ever made any kind of medical sense.

22. Post #382
    November 2011
    242 Posts
    Any ideas what else I can slap onto the can?
    Bit late here, but I always wanted to see some root beer. "Radioactive Root Beer"?

23. Post #383

December 2010
    177 Posts
    The Blutsauger makes some minor TF2-style sense, though, in that the syringes it shoots could be technically used to draw blood.

Plus the Kunai (and the Candy Cane) may fit texture and modelwise, but the item itself doesn't fit the 50s/60s/70s spy theme and so it doesn't fit into the original theme of the game, which is what this project is about. I, personally, love how these concepts and mods are giving the weapons form to their function. They look nice, they fit the style, and they're easy to understand how they could fit those stats in an exaggerated way.
    I don't think the Candy Cane fits like the Kunai fits, mostly because it's a novelty food item being used as a melee weapon, when the original game focused on mercenaries with actual weapons. I just brought it up because I've known some FPers have thrown the idea about of using a cobbled together Medigun-like bat to replace it. I just think the entire idea of forcing every item to visually allude to its stats sort of encounters a strange wall.

So you think a knife with a tube that goes into your arm and with lol-bandages fits the original artstyle/theme or whatever. OK, let's just ignore for a second that no weapon in the game follow such a strictly literal form of health gain through visual representation. So, how do I shoehorn life draining visually into the black box? Do I make a rocket launcher that connects with a tube into the Soldier's neck? So how do I shoehorn some kind of regenerative ability visually into the Cozy Camper? Exactly why does urine make people take more damage? How is air supposed to somehow reflect a projectile anyways? The game's weapons don't have to take such a strongly literal representation of what they do. The game is comical and sometimes non-sensical. Keeping a tongue-in-cheek perspective helps keep you from overthinking this.

I'm not saying the Kunai shouldn't be replaced, but I am saying that among Spy's knives it's rather low priority. The better approach, in my opinion, is to design appropriate Spy knives (given the era) and allow them to replace any of Spy's knives. You shouldn't necessarily design a weapon intending to replace a specific other in mind, since a well-designed knife skin could easily replace any knife that the pack downloader (ie: end user) wants. (The few exceptions would happen when that weapon kills the opponent in a completely different way, such as the Cow Mangler.)

Look at SVDL's scoped revolver, for example. It could easily replace any of Spy's revolvers without a problem, but most seem to think that given the scope it might be most sensible to replace the Ambassador. Many people would even use a scopeless version for another revolver. Function doesn't necessarily dictate form. If you make something with an excellent form, it wouldn't really matter what function it has.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 12Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #384
    July 2009
    312 Posts
    I don't think the Candy Cane fits like the Kunai fits, mostly because it's a novelty food item being used as a melee weapon, when the original game focused on mercenaries with actual weapons. I just brought it up because I've known some FPers have thrown the idea about of using a cobbled together Medigun-like bat to replace it. I just think the entire idea of forcing every item to visually allude to its stats sort of encounters a strange wall.

So you think a knife with a tube that goes into your arm and with lol-bandages fits the original artstyle/theme or whatever. OK, let's just ignore for a second that no weapon in the game follow such a strictly literal form of health gain through visual representation. So, how do I shoehorn life draining visually into the black box? Do I make a rocket launcher that connects with a tube into the Soldier's neck? So how do I shoehorn some kind of regenerative ability visually into the Cozy Camper? Exactly why does urine make people take more damage? How is air supposed to somehow reflect a projectile anyways? The game's weapons don't have to take such a strongly literal representation of what they do. The game is comical and sometimes non-sensical. Keeping a tongue-in-cheek perspective helps keep you from overthinking this.

I'm not saying the Kunai shouldn't be replaced, but I am saying that among Spy's knives it's rather low priority. The better approach, in my opinion, is to design appropriate Spy knives (given the era) and allow them to replace any of Spy's knives. You shouldn't necessarily design a weapon intending to replace a specific other in mind, since a well-designed knife skin could easily replace any knife that the pack downloader (ie: end user) wants. (The few exceptions would happen when that weapon kills the opponent in a completely different way, such as the Cow Mangler.)

Look at SVDL's scoped revolver, for example. It could easily replace any of Spy's revolvers without a problem, but most seem to think that given the scope it might be most sensible to replace the Ambassador. Many people would even use a scopeless version for another revolver. Function doesn't necessarily dictate form. If you make something with an excellent form, it wouldn't really matter what function it has.
    The way I see it, the Cozy Camper's survival gear (pot and probably some implied food items) restore his health when he's sitting around like he's got time to eat a bit of leftover Sandvich or something. Air can push back just about anything if it's compressed enough, which is implied in the name "compression blast". Jarate is implied to cause more damage by lowering covered enemy's moral, sort of a "losing their will to live" weakness. You do have me at the Black Box, though, in that there's no TF2-logic explanation (and to me, there doesn't have to be, it fits rather well). Although, after all that, I wasn't saying that the weapons HAS to follow the stats, it's just nice when it does, like the "Knife-trogen" for Spycicle. It doesn't make sense either, but is jokingly saying that pouring liquid nitrogen into a stab wound will freeze the person.

I do understand your approach, though, in that a excellent looking weapon can replace multiple unfitting ones successfully regardless of their stats. A wonderful point that should be kept in mind for the whole project, for sure.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #385
    February 2010
    5,469 Posts

I think that would fit this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #386
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
    November 2010
    4,179 Posts

A highly modified Enfield L39A1 would make sense, because it's a commonwealth rifle and those are easily available in Australia.
    Better yet, how about a modified Australian International Arms M10 rifle?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

27. Post #387
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    4,702 Posts
    Tried to model that spycicle replacement

http://p3d.in/rbAm7
    i'll texture this one, boys

so back off
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

28. Post #388
    April 2007
    989 Posts
    i had my doubts about this stuff but these concepts are fucking beautiful
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #389
    July 2011
    1,409 Posts

Too bad this hasn't been released afaik.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8 (list)

30. Post #390
    May 2011
    575 Posts
    Too bad this hasn't been released afaik.

Holy shit that texture
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

31. Post #391
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    2,363 Posts

I agree, coming up with items that explain their functions isn't as important as coming up with items that look good.
    Nevertheless, I have two reasons for basing these concepts on the items' stats.

As cliché as it may sound, limitations are vital to creativity. If I think 'I have to design a weapon that looks cool', I just get a bunch of half-baked ideas and discard them. If I think 'I have to design a knife that freezes the victim upon backstab', I can come up with a technical idea and then refine it until I end up with a design that looks good.

I'm hoping that the items made in this thread, along with a selection of style-fitting items that have already been made, ends up being put together into a single giant mod for people who want a more classic TF2 look but don't want to navigate the jungle of pony reskins and expired links to find replacements for every single unfitting item in the game. A problem with such a mod, however, would be that remembering which model represents which item could be difficult. Models that make sense with the stats would make this much easier.

The way I see it, the Cozy Camper's survival gear (pot and probably some implied food items) restore his health when he's sitting around like he's got time to eat a bit of leftover Sandvich or something. Air can push back just about anything if it's compressed enough, which is implied in the name "compression blast". Jarate is implied to cause more damage by lowering covered enemy's moral, sort of a "losing their will to live" weakness. You do have me at the Black Box, though, in that there's no TF2-logic explanation (and to me, there doesn't have to be, it fits rather well). Although, after all that, I wasn't saying that the weapons HAS to follow the stats, it's just nice when it does, like the "Knife-trogen" for Spycicle. It doesn't make sense either, but is jokingly saying that pouring liquid nitrogen into a stab wound will freeze the person.

I do understand your approach, though, in that a excellent looking weapon can replace multiple unfitting ones successfully regardless of their stats. A wonderful point that should be kept in mind for the whole project, for sure.
    I agree with you about those explanations. I think the Black Box makes a kind of sense, too, though. From wikipedia:
    In science and engineering, a black box is a device, system or object which can be viewed solely in terms of its input, output and transfer characteristics without any knowledge of its internal workings, that is, its implementation is "opaque" (black). Almost anything might be referred to as a black box: a transistor, an algorithm, or the human mind.
    Basically, stuff goes in, something happens that no one understands, stuff comes out. In the case of the weapon, the stuff that goes in is successful hits and the stuff that comes out is health.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #392
    BADGERPIG
    May 2010
    4,351 Posts
    The whole "fitting the stats" part of this reminds me of the swingshot I originally designed based on the Powerjack stats

There was also a hose originally but it turned out to be a lot of trouble and was dropped for the final design
    (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...tails/?id=4795)
    Now it'd probably suit better with some sort of inject stat

33. Post #393
    January 2012
    1,518 Posts
    so.... many.... needles....
    how would putting someone else's completely different blood into your own veins give you more health?
    and on the topic of "reality in tf2", how would the medi gun work? is the stream of vapor in the medi beam little dr. who nanogenes? how would they all focus into one stream onto one target? how would overheal work? how would uber charge work? i like the nanogene idea though :3

34. Post #394
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    13,269 Posts
    on the topic of "reality in tf2", how would the medi gun work?
    I don't think people here are trying to be realistic, they're just trying to add some form of logic (even if cartoonish) to weapons that have none. The Mediguns although not realistic, are logical in that they are retro-futuristic advanced technology, like the kind Bond villain scientists develop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

35. Post #395
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
    November 2010
    4,179 Posts
    Eight people took the effort to press a little icon for my sake? HELLO SELF-ESTEEM!
    Have another one:

(Blood soaks into sponge, is absorbed into medigun canister and transformed into health packs. Hey, at least it makes more sense than a magic fucking candy cane.)
    Honestly, I'm not that thrilled with this one.

Why not something like a bat based off the teleporter? (The logic being, HQ has a way of keeping track of all the mercenaries they've hired, and when scout kills an enemy, they send a health pack through the tele as a reward.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #396
    January 2012
    3,756 Posts
    The sun on a stick is basically a scout axtinguisher, it doesnt have to have anything to do with fire.
    If that is the case, why not make it a hoe made by Handy Hoe Co.?

37. Post #397
    March 2010
    3,147 Posts

Have you ever tried modelling? If not you should. It's always sad when I see your awesome concepts but they never become a reality.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #398
    July 2011
    340 Posts
    What do you think guies about this concheroro replacement? I think a backpack full of bandages and needls have more sense than magic conch.
    Whole thing was based upon real world items, which I may show you.

Also in blue version red cross is replaced by this symbol:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

39. Post #399
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    2,363 Posts
    Have you ever tried modelling? If not you should. It's always sad when I see your awesome concepts but they never become a reality.
    I haven't tried modeling, and I'm pretty sure I won't, at least not in the foreseeable future. When I decided I wanted to do something TF2 contibutor-y, I had the choice between modeling and mapping, and chose the latter. I'm not sure I made the right choice, but I can't really change it now. I have a bad habit of starting projects and never finishing them, so giving up on mapping would feel like a big failure. I also have too many nerdy activities and too few non-nerdy ones, so getting into modeling in addition to mapping wouldn't feel like a good choice.

Speaking of mapping, I'm really grateful for all the nice things you're saying here. After having approximately a year's planning, building, thinking, redesigning, scrapping and rebuilding summed up like this for the sixth time, a self-esteem boost was very welcome.

Oh, wow, that was an emotional post. Back on topic: I had a neat idea for a YER/Wanga Prick replacement, but the Spy's holding animations made it impossible. I'm trying to think of some way to adapt it now, stay tuned.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 9 (list)

40. Post #400
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    13,269 Posts
    Speaking of mapping, I'm really grateful for all the nice things you're saying here. After having approximately a year's planning, building, thinking, redesigning, scrapping and rebuilding summed up like this for the sixth time, a self-esteem boost was very welcome.
    That was not very nice of them :(
    Constructive criticism is good, but many of those guys were just assholes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)