1. Post #41
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,060 Posts
    I disagree. The Sombrero although a cool hat, is way too silly and overly nationalistic (no matter if Pyro is mexican or not) to fit in well with the original designs of the classes.
    I meant I would have added both of those hats to the list
    I agree with you they are too silly

2. Post #42
    April 2007
    989 Posts
    a lot of stuff on the things you said were "fitting" are extremely over-detailed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    2,363 Posts
    oh boobs

Edited:

Deo or Neo?

DEO OR NEO?!
    Make two items?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    I'LL SUCK DICK FOR SELF-MADES
    July 2011
    10,071 Posts
    Good idea!

5. Post #45
    Captain Westcliff: Thinks Wales is an Island
    January 2006
    18,079 Posts
    I've made more textures but he's made more concepts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #46
    April 2012
    527 Posts
    Look forward to seeing what people produce for this.

If we're gonna pick holes, I have no idea what this is doing in the list of items that fit the old theme perfectly:

Custom built weaponry is one thing but that's literally two gas cans and a license plate on a stick
    I think the Beggar's Bazooka is more fitting than that for makeshift weaponry. Surprised to see the Overdose on the offending list too, it deffinetly shows how much the style has changed since the syringe gun, but it's pretty bang on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

7. Post #47
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    13,220 Posts
    -snip- dumb post

8. Post #48
    "Epic Leddit pwner :)"
    March 2010
    12,122 Posts
    Would simple reskins to one or two of the items be alright?
    For instance, the Pyrovision goggles don't seem all that fitting for what this update wants, but reskinning them to nightvision goggles would fit them more (Cosmetically, not pyroland-y)
    I thought I'd have a shot at it (Ignore the lightwarp)

The model itself fits TF2, it's just, in my opinion, the Pyrovision goggle's texture doesn't seem to fit the coldwar/espionage setting the game has.

Edited:

And yes, it glows in the dark
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Winner Winner x 9Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

9. Post #49
    I'LL SUCK DICK FOR SELF-MADES
    July 2011
    10,071 Posts
    -woah, that actually looks pretty cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 13Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #50
    I might be a Vampire Queen
    July 2009
    1,707 Posts
    this is beautiful
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #51
    September 2011
    436 Posts
    Me and my friend WackoWeasel worked on beta textures a while ago and we actually restored the old 2fort beta textures. If he wants me to I can give a download link to them if that's what you want.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #52
    August 2011
    2,061 Posts
    oh boobs

Edited:

Deo or Neo?

DEO OR NEO?!
    Run or shoot man, run or shoot!

13. Post #53
    August 2011
    1,060 Posts
    Nobody said anything, nor did anybody rate the post. So I'm going to have to ask again, is my wrench fitting with this "Classic" theme? Or do I have to start with something else?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    4,662 Posts

The model itself fits TF2, it's just, in my opinion, the Pyrovision goggle's texture doesn't seem to fit the coldwar/espionage setting the game has.

Edited:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...ails/?id=20678

:c
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 15Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #55
    May 2012
    327 Posts
    Hm, let's see..

Hats and miscs can be replaced fairly randomly. It doesn't matter too much if the replacements aren't thematically similar, as cosmetics don't have stats.
    The Engineer's Deus Ex and Grordbort weapons probably have fitting replacements, as there are a lot of stock-y Engineer weapons with electronics strapped to them out there.
    The Soldier's Grordbort weapons have Svdl's excellent replacements.
    Most of the weapons that are unfitting but don't fire any weird bullets/projectiles (Diamondback, Candy Cane etc.) should probably be possible to find replacements for.

What I think will be most difficult to replace with existing mods are Pyro's Grordbort weapons and Demoman's Shields and medieval melees. If you're brainstorming stuff, I recommend you to start with thinking about those categories.
    I think svdl did an excellent job making the soldier's grordbort weapons fit, maybe follow those designs for engie and pyro? As for the shields, there are riot shields, blast shields and *cough* EOD suits that can replace them excellently.

Edit: Oh and uh, godspeed to everyone participating, I wholeheartedly support this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

16. Post #56
    k2.
    July 2011
    1,079 Posts
    thats what i thought the pyro goggles were at first

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    11,902 Posts
    and either stock weapons welded together
    use commas more often

regardless, the whole point of this update is to match stock weapons is it not? therefore using any other examples is fallacy

18. Post #58
    August 2011
    1,595 Posts
    Nobody said anything, nor did anybody rate the post. So I'm going to have to ask again, is my wrench fitting with this "Classic" theme? Or do I have to start with something else?
    This topology looks awful.

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    8,976 Posts
    Sweet, a not whimsical pack of weapons, hats and misc.

Good luck in this update, is going to be one (if not) of the best emporium updates ever.

20. Post #60
    August 2011
    1,060 Posts
    This topology looks awful.
    Yes it is, thus why I'm redoing it. I said that in my first post that was ignored. It was one of my very early models.

21. Post #61
    June 2010
    6,194 Posts
    Can still make him look intimidating while wearing it too.

That's just because of the artist's style tho.

Any chance for getting this as a replacement for the Pyrovision goggles? I don't like how much the Pyrovision goggles are apart, looks quite derpy on some classes imo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    2,363 Posts
    I think svdl did an excellent job making the soldier's grordbort weapons fit, maybe follow those designs for engie and pyro? As for the shields, there are riot shields, blast shields and *cough* EOD suits that can replace them excellently.

Edit: Oh and uh, godspeed to everyone participating, I wholeheartedly support this.
    Ah, yeah, I think it's possible to come up with ideas for more or less everything. In fact, I'm fiddling with Svdl-inspired Pyro grordbort reskin (whee, four words in a row that anger the spellchecker) designs right now. What I meant was that there probably aren't that many already existing models that would fit those weapons, so prioritizing them slightly higher than other stuff now could be a good idea.

Would you guys consider 'couldn't really have been the stock weapon, but nevertheless fits the original character and setting' as acceptable? Stuff like the Pain Train, Jag, Battalion's Backup etc.

23. Post #63
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    13,220 Posts
    Ah, yeah, I think it's possible to come up with ideas for more or less everything. In fact, I'm fiddling with Svdl-inspired Pyro grordbort reskin (whee, four words in a row that anger the spellchecker) designs right now. What I meant was that there probably aren't that many already existing models that would fit those weapons, so prioritizing them slightly higher than other stuff now could be a good idea.

Would you guys consider 'couldn't really have been the stock weapon, but nevertheless fits the original character and setting' as acceptable? Stuff like the Pain Train, Jag, Battalion's Backup etc.
    I think that as long as it's designed to look like a stock weapon aesthetically and looks like the kind of weapon that COULD have been a part of the original design, then it's probably alright. The Jag I especially think is a very good example of such an item. Not so sure about how fitting the Pain Train is to Demoman though, I'd say it's both too unprofessional and/or not tied to any stereotype.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,060 Posts
    I find the pain train is an excellent fit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 11Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

25. Post #65
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    2,363 Posts
    I just took a detailed look through the lists in the first post, and I'm amazed by how much I agree with you, Hawt. I just have a handful of nitpicks, that you can probably ignore if no one agrees with them.

- Overdose fits. I can't see why it wouldn't.
    - Sandvich fits. It's a pretty reasonable lunch break snack.
    - Back scratcher should at least be questionable. It's a plausible makeshift weapon.
    - 'Most promo items' needs to be more specific. Stuff like the Deus Ex items, the Kingdoms of Amalur items and *sniff* the Hetman's Headpiece are definitely unfitting, but stuff like the Stockbroker's Scarf, the Quadwrangler and the Pilotka are ok, I think.
    - I don't think the Pyromania items should be on the workshop list thing. It feels wrong to feature in-game items there.

Also, The Icebreaker would make an excellent SWF replacement.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

26. Post #66
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    13,220 Posts
    I find the pain train is an excellent fit
    Why?
    In terms of artstyle I agree, but how the devil otherwise does it fit demoman?

It's not scottish, it's not demolition related, it's not alcohol related.
    It's just a random non-class specific makeshift melee weapon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

27. Post #67
    Captain Westcliff: Thinks Wales is an Island
    January 2006
    18,079 Posts
    ugh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb x 3Agree x 3Informative x 1Funny x 1Useful x 1 (list)

28. Post #68
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    13,220 Posts
    - Overdose fits. I can't see why it wouldn't.
    I agree.

- Sandvich fits. It's a pretty reasonable lunch break snack.
    It does not fit. It's significantly more cartoony than any of the other items the characters were originally designed with. 2007 characters had only weapon and makeshift weapons in their arsenal, and comical and cartoony things were much more subtle (such as the spy mask)

- Back scratcher should at least be questionable. It's a plausible makeshift weapon.
    It's a ridiculous and silly and impersonal makeshift weapon that has no relation to any of Pyro's stereotypes and that is also GREEN.

- 'Most promo items' needs to be more specific. Stuff like the Deus Ex items, the Kingdoms of Amalur items and *sniff* the Hetman's Headpiece are definitely unfitting, but stuff like the Stockbroker's Scarf, the Quadwrangler and the Pilotka are ok, I think.
    I agree about the Quadwrangler and Pilotka, but almost every other promo item to this date have been very out of character or at least overly flashy. The stockbroker's scarf although a good looking cosmetic, is a flashy fashion item worn on the outside of a fire-retardant suit and a gasmask. There is no way this item could have been part of his original design back in 2007.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

29. Post #69
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    2,363 Posts
    Why?
    In terms of artstyle I agree, but how the devil otherwise does it fit demoman?

It's not scottish, it's not demolition related, it's not alcohol related.
    It's just a random non-class specific makeshift melee weapon.
    It doesn't have anything particular to do with the Demoman (which makes sense, since it's also a Soldier weapon), but its a plain and plausible weapon and could therefore work as a stock item. Sort of like the Pistol and the Shotgun.

It does not fit. It's significantly more cartoony than any of the other items the characters were originally designed with. 2007 characters had only weapon and makeshift weapons in their arsenal, and comical and cartoony things were much more subtle (such as the spy mask)
    I agree that cartoony things should be kept subtle, but I still think the Sandvich feels like it could fit. Heavy is a working man. I could totally imagine him making a neat little sandwich and packing it into a paper bag in the morning before heading to the gravel pits.
    In any case, lunchbox items exist, and as far as appropriate models go the Sandvich is pretty much as fitting as it gets.

It's a ridiculous and silly makeshift weapon that has no relation to any of Pyro's stereotypes and that is also GREEN.
    I'd say 'Makeshift' is one of the most pronounced stereotypes associated with the vanilla Pyro. His signature weapon is homemade, his secondary is a shared one and therefore not very indicative of the character, and his melee is use for something else than its originally intended purpose.
    'Farm' is also one of the standard mapping themes from launch, mainly seen in 2fort. Pyro wandering into a random tool shed, finding a sharp spiky thing on a handy stick and deciding to kill people with it isn't more far-fetched than Pyro somehow finding a fire axe and deciding to kill people with it. You have a point about the green, though.

I agree about the Quadwrangler and Pilotka, but almost every other promo item to this date have been very out of character or at least overly flashy. The stockbroker's scarf although a good looking cosmetic, is a flashy fashion item worn on the outside of a fire-retardant suit and a gasmask. There is no way this item could have been part of his original design back in 2007.
    While I'm not in the 'Pyro is crazy so anything goes' camp, I think the character has always had some degree of non sequitur-ness. Look at his stock taunts, for example; One is a Star Wars reference, one is a physics-breaking Street Fighter reference, and the third one is more appropriate in a party than on the battlefield. A teamcolored tie outside the suit fits pretty well, and isn't more flashy or silly than the Demoman's smiley face.

I also think slightly non-vanilla-ish items should be acceptable simply because it's pretty much impossible to come up with enough perfectly vanilla-like items to replace the blatantly unfitting ones in the game. The Rifleman's Rallycap, as a random example, would never have been included in the Sniper's default design, but replacing all the Flamingo Kids in the game with that would still be a massive improvement.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #70
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    13,220 Posts
    It doesn't have anything particular to do with the Demoman (which makes sense, since it's also a Soldier weapon), but its a plain and plausible weapon and could therefore work as a stock item. Sort of like the Pistol and the Shotgun.
    Yeah but it's not a weapon that like the Pistol and Shotgun are actual stock weapons provided by weapon companies. Every class in the game was designed to use makeshift melee weapons, but all of them had personalized melee weapons. No class used impersonal junk as their weapon. So although it fits the artstyle, it doesn't fit the class design.

Edited:

Basically, it doesn't look like it was designed for Demoman or by Demoman.

31. Post #71
    BADGERPIG
    May 2010
    4,323 Posts
    Regarding the OP, I find it odd that first it highlight good examples but then things that doesn't fit the theme, I don't really see what the point of the second part is.

I think focus should be on the good examples of the theme and things to take inspiration rather than bringing attention to the opposite.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

32. Post #72
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    2,363 Posts
    Regarding the OP, I find it odd that first it highlight good examples but then things that doesn't fit the theme, I don't really see what the point of the second part is.

I think focus should be on the good examples of the theme and things to take inspiration rather than bringing attention to the opposite.
    I interpreted the unfitting items lists as 'suitable items to come up with replacement mods for'.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

33. Post #73
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,060 Posts
    I interpreted the unfitting items lists as 'suitable items to come up with replacement mods for'.
    that ^
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

34. Post #74
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    1,285 Posts
    tf2 would have died if not for the influx of content and diverse equipment

this will take a long time, hope it doesn't die young

35. Post #75
    BADGERPIG
    May 2010
    4,323 Posts
    I see it more as a distraction from the point of the competition and thread, so far it has only brought a bunch of discussion that is pretty much completely unrelated to the competition itself

what to replace can be discussed afterwards, meeting the deadline is hard enough without worrying about that until after the item has been sent in, don't we usually wait to release the items until after the comp is done anyway?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #76
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,060 Posts
    right how about we make some ACTUAL CONTENT by now
    here are some ideas I thought might be neat replacements for the Soda Popper and the Manmelter
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 10Winner Winner x 5 (list)

37. Post #77
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    2,363 Posts
    here are some ideas I thought might be neat replacements for the Soda Popper and the Manmelter
    Aw fuck. I was toying with a manmelter replacement design, but that looks way more stock-y.

Whoa this is great idea. I am in.

I can produce concept arts and tf-ish textures.

I will work on a concept of new phlog is that all right fellas?
    And a Phlog design, but I was pretty stuck on that one.

38. Post #78
    July 2011
    333 Posts
    Whoa this is great idea. I am in.

I can produce concept arts and tf-ish textures.

I will work on a concept of new phlog is that all right fellas?

39. Post #79
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    13,220 Posts
    Those are fucking amazing. Especially the manmelter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

40. Post #80
    Ginger gizzard amateur~
    Dennab
    July 2011
    5,135 Posts

Edited:

Maybe someone could tweak pyroland so that, when wearing these goggles, textures are replaced with shades of green? The only limitation to this is that character textures aren't affected by pyrovision.

Edited:

These look very good, just one thing: decayed grip is not part of the stock weapons' art style. I know you guys just want it to scream "makeshift", but stop putting duct tape on EVERYTHING.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Turkey Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)