1. Post #81
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    1,285 Posts
    Maybe someone could tweak pyroland so that, when wearing these goggles, textures are replaced with shades of green? The only limitation to this is that character textures aren't affected by pyrovision.

Edited:

These look very good, just one thing: decayed grip is not part of the stock weapons' art style. I know you guys just want it to scream "makeshift", but stop putting duct tape on EVERYTHING.
    needs more electrical tape imo

2. Post #82
    Captain Westcliff: Thinks Wales is an Island
    January 2006
    18,188 Posts
    These look very good, just one thing: decayed grip is not part of the stock weapons' art style. I know you guys just want it to scream "makeshift", but stop putting duct tape on EVERYTHING.
    ugh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 9Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

3. Post #83
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,072 Posts
    needs more electrical tape imo
    but it was electrical tape :<

4. Post #84
    March 2010
    3,148 Posts
    right how about we make some ACTUAL CONTENT by now
    here are some ideas I thought might be neat replacements for the Soda Popper and the Manmelter
    Get rid of the tape on the Popper replacement. It's fine on the Manmelter because it looks makeshift but the Popper replacement looks like something you could buy from Mann co. Is it meant to to look makeshift? If so you're not really getting that across.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

5. Post #85
    Dreams of chronic and sustained critglows.
    December 2010
    16,988 Posts
    Concept art for the shotgun
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 4Dumb x 2Zing x 2Winner x 2Informative x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #86
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    2,363 Posts
    Here's a quick and dirty photoshop of my manmelter idea; It's a jury-rigged copper wire-powered mauser. I'm abandoning it on account of Hawt posting an immensely superior manmelter replacement design, but if anyone wants to take this idea as inspiration to come up with a concept for some other energy weapon, go wild.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

7. Post #87
    March 2010
    3,148 Posts
    I really wish this wasn't just an event and was just a full blown project. If people were willing to continue to work on a full on replacement project past this event, along with the TIP TF2 would look amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

8. Post #88
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,072 Posts
    I really wish this wasn't just an event and was just a full blown project. If people were willing to continue to work on a full on replacement project past this event, along with the TIP TF2 would look amazing.
    who said it couldn't be a whole project?
    also lists were removed from the OP since they are way too distracting
    I trust people have good enough judgement to know what would need replacing.

I'm really sorry if they upset anyone, since they seem to by why this event started out kind of rough
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #89
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    12,195 Posts
    Why?
    In terms of artstyle I agree, but how the devil otherwise does it fit demoman?

It's not scottish, it's not demolition related, it's not alcohol related.
    It's just a random non-class specific makeshift melee weapon.
    It was made for pyro, blame Valve for that one

10. Post #90
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,081 Posts
    Just a heads up, Pyroland is "canonically fitting" because Candy Land was released in 1949.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 6Informative Informative x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #91
    Tal
    September 2011
    299 Posts
    This might work when its done:

What do you think?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Disagree Disagree x 22 (list)

12. Post #92
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    1,285 Posts
    This might work when its done:

What do you think?
    nah too simple doesn't fit artstyle etc
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #93
    June 2010
    807 Posts
    I don't see why the Mann Co logo isn't allowed. Sure, it didn't exist until 2009, but it's still part of the TF2 universe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #94

June 2012
    16 Posts
    Concept art for the shotgun
    It's probably best to link to the concept art most similar to the final product, which is this one:

The difference in stocks is apparent, and this latter is more consistent with the 2007 product. Offhand I'd guess that non-melee weapons with decayed stocks weren't introduced until the uber update (soda popper).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #95
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,072 Posts
    I don't see why the Mann Co logo isn't allowed. Sure, it didn't exist until 2009, but it's still part of the TF2 universe.
    it's already plastered on a lot of stuff
    I thought it'd be nice to do something with the other companies
    like that Binksi Logging chainsaw
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

16. Post #96
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    7,977 Posts
    it's already plastered on a lot of stuff
    Please, just don't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

17. Post #97
    January 2010
    1,102 Posts
    It's probably best to link to the concept art most similar to the final product, which is this one
    ...he was making a point... as in

1. they did it in their concepts so why cant we do it in ours.
    2. its not the finished model, so much like the electrical tape shotgun concept, it can be changed...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #98

June 2012
    16 Posts
    ...he was making a point... as in

1. they did it in their concepts so why cant we do it in ours.
    2. its not the finished model, so much like the electrical tape shotgun concept, it can be changed...
    1. Can or can't are not what is being debated here. You can draw or model whatever you like, but whether or not it fits with the 2007 style is up for question. What Scarabix was pointing out is that heavily repaired taped-over stocks are not consistent with the implemented art direction. What Valve eventually settled on is less similar to the image ned linked than to the one I linked. Although I can't be sure what ned's goals were in linking that image - it really supports Scarabix's argument more than it can refute it, supposing that I've misinterpreted ned I feel it's more helpful to provide positive examples than negative ones when attempting to define the style.

2. Yes, it is not the finished model. Changes are being suggested and the reasons for these changes are being explained. I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at - we are trying to demonstrate something of the original style and use that to provide feedback. I'll grant I probably wouldn't have phrased it quite the way Scarabix did, but his point stands.

19. Post #99
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,072 Posts

Content
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8Winner Winner x 1 (list)

20. Post #100
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    13,269 Posts
    It was made for pyro, blame Valve for that one
    Regardless, it doesn't fit Pyro anymore than it does Demoman.

Edited:

Please, just don't.
    It is though, and also most of the original weapons was made by TF industries. It would definitely be a nice change to see less Mann Co weapons and more TF industries weapons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

21. Post #101
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    7,977 Posts
    It is though, and also most of the original weapons was made by TF industries. It would definitely be a nice change to see less Mann Co weapons and more TF industries weapons.
    There are three Mann Co weapons, Direct Hit, Scottish Resistance and Shortstop. Rest are just sold by them.

But sure, I too would rather see more (or rather only) TF Industries' weapons in this specific collab.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

22. Post #102
    June 2010
    807 Posts
    Regardless, it doesn't fit Pyro anymore than it does Demoman.

Edited:

Mann Co weapons are TF Industries weapons. TF Industries is Mann Co's parent company.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 2 (list)

23. Post #103
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,272 Posts
    What has been the most painfully obvious is that everyone disagrees on what "classic" really means.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 17Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #104
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,072 Posts
    I think we can all just stop debating and say
    Classic = OLD TF2
    and just go from there
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #105
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    13,269 Posts
    I think the best inspiration for both weapons and cosmetics for this event is simply looking at what the classes are originally wearing and what they are equipped with, and not drawing any at all inspiration from any of the existing cosmetics and unlockables in the game.

26. Post #106
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    2,363 Posts
    People will disagree about the details of everything. I think we've been in a surprising amount of agreement about the big strokes.

I think it's ok to use Valve's concept art as reference. It's part of the material associated with the original art design.
    Also, gratuitous tape:

That up there is approximately 7% of all stock weapons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

27. Post #107
    March 2010
    3,148 Posts
    One of the earliest item I have a problem with is with BONK! Although the idea of a serum that increases aspects of humans is not to out there for 60's-70's, energy drinks weren't introduced to the USA until about the mid-80's, the yellow breaks the colors for RED team and it just seems like they tried to force silly equivalent for the Sandvich which Heavy got the update before.

The problem is I can't think of a suitable replacement.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #108
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,072 Posts
    One of the earliest item I have a problem with is with BONK! Although the idea of a serum that increases aspects of humans is not to out there for 60's-70's, energy drinks weren't introduced to the USA until about the mid-80's, the yellow breaks the colors for RED team and it just seems like they tried to force silly equivalent for the Sandvich which Heavy got the update before.

just do a vintage style reskin with less "in your face" colours

check out this stuff
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 2Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

29. Post #109
    May 2012
    327 Posts

Why not just regular soda? Could go with a vintage design like Coca-cola, keeping it to one color with text. Hell, it doesn't even have to be a whole redesign, a new texture would do fine.

Edit: Ninja'd by Koffee, darn

30. Post #110
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,272 Posts
    just do a vintage style reskin with less "in your face" colours

check out this stuff
    Didn't Nassimo do this?

31. Post #111

June 2012
    16 Posts
    Didn't Nassimo do this?
    Made a coffee version if I recall correctly...

EDIT: This one?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

32. Post #112
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,072 Posts
    Made a coffee version if I recall correctly...

EDIT: This one?
    this would work easily since there are coffee makers in a lot of the office space

33. Post #113
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,272 Posts
    No, Nassimo did an actual reskin of the Bonk cans.
    I'll search.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #114

June 2012
    16 Posts
    People will disagree about the details of everything. I think we've been in a surprising amount of agreement about the big strokes.

I think it's ok to use Valve's concept art as reference. It's part of the material associated with the original art design.
    Also, gratuitous tape:
    Yeah, I agree. It's just that when we have dueling concept art pieces, I think it's a better idea all-round to stick with the closest one. Not going back over old ground and all that.

35. Post #115
    January 2010
    1,102 Posts
    i read your post, condensing for length reasons

alright, hold up, i feel like im talking to someone that entered the conversation without paying attention to what was said before, and/or saw something that they didn't like and only payed attention to that one single thing, i was stating that there wasn't any need to state a point that makes no sense against Ned's considering he was making a completely different point entirely, such as, it was already in valve's mind to make "worn" "used" or "makeshift" weapons long before they settled on most of the stock clean ones, (my best bet is they would have modeled every piece of tape on that concept shotgun so, to save polys, and ram, they went against that version)

im stating that it was part of the "style" long before it was made official, only because the concepts closest to the finished product that were thrown out (no, not the "invasion" version of tf2, nor the earliest version, long before the invasion version) i understand where you looking at it in terms of "they threw it out so its not part of the style" but i have to disagree, think about it, some things got thrown out early, then implemented later, and others were thrown out late, and have never been implemented to this day (by late, i mean full model and texture) i personally think you're being a liiittle too strict with your judgement on what is acceptable in terms of tf2's style, i do agree tho, they have taken things way out of where it would have gone if they stayed with their own original guidelines given to the public
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #116
    May 2012
    327 Posts
    To avoid degenerating into senseless drama, I'd be cool if someone could make a skin for the pomson ASAP, preferably one that fits the terribad way the engineer holds it. The wunderwaffe mod just doesn't cut it anymore.

Edit:

There's a fuckbunch of community-made engineer stuff with electronics attached to them. I think at least one of them should usable.
    Here are three decent-looking ones from near the top of the workshop, ask the creators if they're available for download.
    None of those fit the Pomson animations, or even look like they can shoot lasers save for the brain one which is really unfitting with the game. I could try and draw up some concept sketches but I doubt anyone would try modeling it.

37. Post #117
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    2,363 Posts
    There's a fuckbunch of community-made engineer stuff with electronics attached to them. I think at least one of them should usable.
    Here are three decent-looking ones from near the top of the workshop, ask the creators if they're available for download.

38. Post #118
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    4,786 Posts

radiation (and radioactive components) were quite a popular element in the early days of the 20th century.

after the WW2 bomb, nuclear energy became quite a trend, wich spawned several elements and concepts related both to radiation and its effects "in a positive way".

namely, superheroes. Bonk boy, the radiation powered guy who is superhuman and that can grant you his superpowers after drinking a radiation permeated drink that makes you feel indestructible/overpowered.

as it is now, the whole concept behind the brand Bonk fits, either on purpose or not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Chile Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #119
    March 2010
    3,148 Posts
    radiation (and radioactive components) were quite a popular element in the early days of the 20th century.

after the WW2 bomb, nuclear energy became quite a trend, wich spawned several elements and concepts related both to radiation and its effects "in a positive way".

namely, superheroes. Bonk boy, the radiation powered guy who is superhuman and that can grant you his superpowers after drinking a radiation permeated drink that makes you feel indestructible/overpowered.

as it is now, the whole concept behind the brand Bonk fits, either on purpose or not.
    I don't disagree with you on the idea but aesthetically the item does not fit IMO.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #120
    January 2010
    3,158 Posts
    Why not some military rations to replace Sandvich if they are so out of place? vv
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)