1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,558 Posts
    Hey. I'm going to be buying an iPad 2 32GB from my friend for $300. This will be my first venture into the iOS ecosystem apart from setting up my brother's iPod Touch and Grandma's iPad. I was just curious as to what the Apple users of Facepunch feel are some must have apps for iPad users. I'll definitely be wanting some games to play as well as some productivity apps. Any suggestions would be appreciated to help out a first time Apple user. Thanks in advance!

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,661 Posts
    Definitely Evernote and Infinity Blade. Air Video is pretty cool if you want to watch movies that are on your computer's hard drive on your iPad.

Oh, and Spotify.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    July 2010
    5,275 Posts
    GarageBand, watched a friend use it on his iPad (I only have an iPod Touch) and although it doesn't look practical it does look fun to use.

Real Racing 2 would probably be a good game to get (big races, good variety of cars and very nice graphics), but AI is a bit dumb on it I guess.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

4. Post #4

January 2012
    51 Posts
    Productivity: Pages and Keynote for iPad are quite good honestly, would suggest just getting those (Notes app will sync to a GMail folder if you sync a GMail account to it, cool thing)
    Games: I like the Max Payne port to iPad, Peggle is loads of fun too.
    Other: Chrome just came out for iPad and it's fantastic. Dropbox is good for images, GMail is nice but that's more of preference, some kind of remote control client (I use TeamViewer), Sketchbook Express is good for drawing, and to top it off, Spotify is a really good music app.

Edited:

GarageBand, watched a friend use it on his iPad (I only have an iPod Touch) and although it doesn't look practical it does look fun to use.

It's fun to use but also frustrating if you actually want to make anything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    January 2010
    995 Posts
    I use Reeder to read rss feeds from google reader. Might seem a bit silly to buy an app for a free service, but it makes browsing and reading dream (unlike the google reader mobile site). I prefer it to google reader on my desktop. Highly recommended app if you use rss feeds.
    As people have already mentioned, Chrome.
    Apple recently (and quietly) released the Podcasts app, which is slightly better than the music app if you listen to a lot of them.
    Another super essential app (for me) is VNC viewer. Basically let's you view and control your computer remotely. I use it daily with windows and mac machines. Lots of helpful features and easy to use.
    The Wolfram Alpha and Speedtest.net apps are useful for obvious reasons.
    You'll want to pick up a calculator app also, as the iPad still (!) doesn't have a native calc app.
    In terms of productivity, I mainly use the notes and reminders apps, as they sync with my iPhone. The Dropbox app might also be helpful.
    Uzu and Bebot are fun little oddities, good for messing around with.
    Games: definitely check out Pocket Planes, Jetpack Joyride, Temple Run, Fruit Ninja, Cannabalt and Dungeon Raid. Multiponk and Entanglement are both amazing games for gathering friends round a table and playing multiplayer.

Edited:

Depends what websites you follow etc. but Pocket (formerly Readitlater) could be a good one. Just started using it myself. Basically let's you bookmark articles and video to consume them later. Compatable across all devices, so good for when you find a long article on your phone. The iPad app is nicer than the desktop website tbh.

6. Post #6
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,445 Posts
    Utils: Air Video, Powerman, Google Chrome.
    Sound: Ambiance, TuneIn Radio
    Games: Plauge Inc (Sort of like the pandemic flash game, except much improved), Uplink, Infinity Blade games.
    Jailbreak: iFile

There's also Codea, if you're interested in writing some Lua on your iPad and running it in the app.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,558 Posts
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I picked up a $50 itunes card so I've bought a few of the apps mentioned that looked good, particularly Apple's productivity apps and some games like infinity blade. I looked at mobile chrome and although it's very nice with the UI and syncing, it's not and never will be near as fluid as Safari. I noticed it right off the bat when it couldn't pinch to zoom smoothly.

Edited:

Does anyone know of an app that puts the weather in the notification center? I noticed the iPod and iPhone weather app is absent like the calculator and after trying weatherbug, weathereye, and accuweather I still haven't been able to find one.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,407 Posts
    I doubt any 3rd party app would be allowed to put a proper widget style thing in the notification centre. The closest you could get is maybe an app that has push notifications of the current weather I guess.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,745 Posts
    Flipboard is great.

10. Post #10
    July 2010
    5,275 Posts
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I picked up a $50 itunes card so I've bought a few of the apps mentioned that looked good, particularly Apple's productivity apps and some games like infinity blade. I looked at mobile chrome and although it's very nice with the UI and syncing, it's not and never will be near as fluid as Safari. I noticed it right off the bat when it couldn't pinch to zoom smoothly.
    A better browser for iOS I reckon is Opera Mini, as mentioned in that article you posted. When you go to a web page, that will send the servers at Opera a request for them to download the webpage, it will compress the web page and send that to you but still functional (ie you can still click on links). It runs very fluidly (as good as Safari), the smaller size web pages mean you can have more in memory without having to reload the pages all the time (on my iPod Touch 2G this is really great because it has such little memory, opening more than 4 pages in Safari for example will flush out the memory of the other pages you have), it's faster than Safari so it's good if you're tethering with your phone out and about or have a shit connection at home and if you are tethering it's good because you're saving data. Opera Mini has a function that shows how much data savings you've made, and so far for me it's made 75% savings in data.

Best thing though is when you open a link in a new tab it doesn't automatically switch to that new tab. This can get really annoying with Safari.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    ask me for a rust key :~)
    December 2008
    18,469 Posts
    calcbot is best ipad calc

also safari has that feature. settings>safari>open in background

the more u know
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,434 Posts
    Mini motor racing
    Carcasonne
    Epoch
    Ski Safari
    Fancy Pants

13. Post #13
    Facepunch Resident Alcoholic!
    July 2007
    8,099 Posts
    Games: Flick Kick Football, Pocket RPG, Crystal Defence (Tower Defense in Final Fantasy Universe), Fruit Ninja, Tiny Wings, Dirt (More of an interactive Story, but a lovely game), Melon Golf, Cut the Rope, Doodle God.

Others: Whatsapp, Kik, Photobucket, Sleep Recorder (Record yourself while you sleep to hear what noises you make ), Not Always Right, Steam, Shazam, iWebCamera (if you don't have a webcam)

These are all my most used apps on my iPad anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,558 Posts
    Games: Flick Kick Football, Pocket RPG, Crystal Defence (Tower Defense in Final Fantasy Universe), Fruit Ninja, Tiny Wings, Dirt (More of an interactive Story, but a lovely game), Melon Golf, Cut the Rope, Doodle God.

Others: Whatsapp, Kik, Photobucket, Sleep Recorder (Record yourself while you sleep to hear what noises you make ), Not Always Right, Steam, Shazam, iWebCamera (if you don't have a webcam)

These are all my most used apps on my iPad anyway.
    Aha sleep recorder sounds interesting since everyone says I snore. Definitely gunna check that out.

15. Post #15
    November 2011
    95 Posts
    Steam Mobile. Obviously.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)