1. Post #2521

July 2011
    2,327 Posts
    what do all these fucking acronyms mean

"ss"
    "what do you mean?"
    "sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssss"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2522
    January 2011
    115 Posts
    what do all these fucking acronyms mean

"ss"
    "what do you mean?"
    "sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssss"
    "SS" means missing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #2523
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    16,368 Posts
    missing
    returned
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

4. Post #2524
    101% Asian
    April 2007
    1,925 Posts
    I thought ss was a term made by lazy Asian players and doesn't actually stand for anything or anything like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

5. Post #2525
    I bought this title for 1 dollar
    April 2009
    8,475 Posts
    I got raged at for using ss. I use it because for me its faster than mia but someone was like "Uh we don't use LoL terms in dota." I only played a few games in LoL.

6. Post #2526
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    16,368 Posts
    I thought ss was a term made by lazy Asian players and doesn't actually stand for anything or anything like that.
    I'm assuming that's where it came from. Makes more sense.

Edited:

I got raged at for using ss. I use it because for me its faster than mia but someone was like "Uh we don't use LoL terms in dota." I only played a few games in LoL.
    That person is retarded.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #2527
    April 2009
    8,475 Posts
    Other person didn't know how ss comes from missing either.

automerge

8. Post #2528
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    16,368 Posts
    I didn't know where it came from for a while until I thought about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

9. Post #2529

July 2010
    4,575 Posts
    Actually ss was the name of an old DOTA player who, during laning phase, first invented the idea of fucking communicating to your motherfucking team.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #2530
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,213 Posts
    I've heard ss is an acronym for "stay safe."

I've also heard from my German friend that it's an elaborate reference to SS members hiding in Argentina after WWII, effectively missing from their lanes.

One of these explanations is more likely than the other.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

11. Post #2531
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2010
    2,532 Posts
    He didn't lie about anything.
    I'm blue, I can't see the refugee camp but that's what Fuckbasket posted, lied about goatse spam. Don't know if I should believe that statement or not.

12. Post #2532
    May 2010
    1,963 Posts
    I bet the second option is more likely since "stay safe" in DOTA is kind of ambiguous and more personal/less 'professional', as it were.

13. Post #2533
    July 2010
    3,956 Posts
    Shit about bans.

Honestly.

(User was banned for this post ("Macro" - Jaanus))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

14. Post #2534
    Frequent Habbo Hotel player. PM for free furniture
    January 2010
    7,070 Posts
    Who needs carries when you have Liiicccchhhhhh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

15. Post #2535
    Dennab
    September 2011
    10,298 Posts

Honestly.
    I care because Boat is a cool guy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 4Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

16. Post #2536
    February 2010
    2,840 Posts
    mia is actually standard in LoL, not ss. If anything ss is the dota term
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #2537
    Is that a rocket in your pocket?
    March 2010
    8,399 Posts
    with I think almost 2000 matches on that shit I can safely tell you ss is way, WAY more used than mia
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Spain Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #2538
    February 2010
    2,840 Posts
    with I think almost 2000 matches on that shit I can safely tell you ss is way, WAY more used than mia
    Do you play on EU? Maybe it's an NA thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #2539
    Who wants to come to the aquarium later and watch me screw with the sharks?
    May 2009
    13,146 Posts
    Just saw an Alchemist rip a team apart.

I need to lie down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

20. Post #2540
    April 2009
    8,475 Posts
    I see way more MIA than ss, I feel like I'm the only one that actually uses ss

21. Post #2541
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,996 Posts
    Well yes it can. Haven't you ever heard the story of Dennis the Menace?
    Nope, Google isn't being helpful either. Enlighten me, please?
    Only results I manage to find when searching "Aghanim" are Google's "Did you mean..." results pointing me to "Agahnim", or Dota 2.

22. Post #2542
    February 2010
    2,840 Posts
    Nope, Google isn't being helpful either. Enlighten me, please?
    Only results I manage to find when searching "Aghanim" are Google's "Did you mean..." results pointing me to Agahnim, or Dota 2.
    Dennis the Menace was a comic strip that was published on the same day in the UK and in the US, despite neither author knowing about the other. They were both completely different comics but had the same name. I'm just saying that Icefrog coining Aghanim without drawing inspiration from Zelda is more likely than you think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #2543
    Dennis the Menace was a comic strip that was published on the same day in the UK and in the US, despite neither author knowing about the other. They were both completely different comics but had the same name. I'm just saying that Icefrog coining Aghanim without drawing inspiration from Zelda is more likely than you think.
    fucking loved dennis the menace, shit was cash

Edited:

sorry that was completely unrelated to your discussion, continue

24. Post #2544
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    12,791 Posts
    Wow I used phantom lancer again today.
    Never again...

Just can't use it at all. I just can't get used to it. Maybe I don't know how to use his abilities well, I don't know...

Need some new heroes to try out... Maybe Void, Siren, try another go at Lanaya? dat meld is useful.
    What do you guys think?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #2545
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    5,190 Posts
    MIA in DotA - "wtf does that mean"
    SS in LoL - "wtf does that mean"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #2546
    June 2012
    548 Posts
    Wow I used phantom lancer again today.
    Never again...

Just can't use it at all. I just can't get used to it. Maybe I don't know how to use his abilities well, I don't know...
    His abilities are...pretty simple.
    One is a slow that deals damage, slows and summons an illusion, it works similar to PA's dagger.
    The second is an invis spell you can use for easy escapes and what not.
    The third is obviously his illusion shit, and you should probably get it a little later game so that you have the harassing and escaping earlier on with Spirit Lance (q) and Doppelwalk (w).
    The ulti is just a huge upgrade to his survivability and amount of illusions he can summon.

The trick is to build attack speed and auras that effect illusions like radiance and diffusal blade. You rape hard at this point.
    However imo, PL is a situational hero and as such should be picked against casters with non-aoe spells so they'll get frustrated when they hit the wrong you.

The problem most people have though is micro-managing in general so I mean.
    PL is one of the easier mm heroes to me since you can just control them all at once and lead a fucking army.

But I guess if you want a slightly similar but much easier experience, you might enjoy Naga :3

27. Post #2547
    May 2009
    1,386 Posts

The funnest game I've played yet (Im Lycan)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #2548
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,159 Posts

The funnest game I've played yet (Im Lycan)
    Carries galore
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #2549
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,540 Posts
    How the fuck did Riki get 28 kills

30. Post #2550
    October 2009
    12,673 Posts
    How the fuck did riki get 28 kills and still have no items? I think that's a better question.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #2551
    l l
    lmao
    Dennab
    December 2011
    10,758 Posts
    because riki is piss easy and takes an iq of 40< to play
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #2552
    April 2009
    8,475 Posts
    Speaking of riki, I was playing with a riki that never leveled smoke but still went around 6-1 in the laning phase.

I don't think he built diffusal either and went for a radiance instead. We still won.

33. Post #2553

September 2008
    302 Posts
    Some patch just came out, no notes though (typical)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #2554
    September 2011
    892 Posts
    because riki is piss easy and takes an iq of 40< to play
    He takes an iq of greater than 40?

35. Post #2555
    l l
    lmao
    Dennab
    December 2011
    10,758 Posts
    He takes an iq of greater than 40?
    yes thank you for clarifying what I just said
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

36. Post #2556
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,519 Posts
    Some guy interrogated me for an hour long game because I called my skills QWE and R. He kept trying to make me admit I came from LoL.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

37. Post #2557
    November 2007
    309 Posts
    Two quick questions:

Where do you ward Lycan's or Sylla's jungle to hurt their farm the most?

And how the fuck do you lane against Kunkka? I have no clue what to do about the Tidebringer harass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

38. Post #2558
    July 2010
    3,956 Posts
    Some guy interrogated me for an hour long game because I called my skills QWE and R. He kept trying to make me admit I came from LoL.
    As someone who comes from legacy keys, I find it really annoying trying to talk to people that do this, and cannot remember skill names. I use QWER, and wouldn't flop back to legacy keys for much of anything, but I simply cannot remember what letter a skill is in that format. In my mind, a skill has a special hotkey, even if that happens to be Q, and I literally cannot say something like 'Druids Q on CD,' without thinking about it. Saying 'Druids bear down for 60 seconds' is easy for me.

I definitely understand why people call them by the letters, but old habits die very hard.

39. Post #2559
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    18,248 Posts
    yes thank you for clarifying what I just said
    arent you supposed to put the sign in front of the amount

40. Post #2560
    July 2010
    3,956 Posts
    Two quick questions:

Where do you ward Lycan's or Sylla's jungle to hurt their farm the most?

And how the fuck do you lane against Kunkka? I have no clue what to do about the Tidebringer harass.
    Look at warding guides for spots that can double block, but focus on warding medium/hard camps, and then blocking the easy camp at 30s, and if possible 1 min with something, including yourself. Those two things alone will put an enormous dent in his early game farming.

As for kunka? Buy more tangos. If in a sidelane, grab a ring of some sort. It will pay for itself in relatively short order, and the rings are useful in many items that you will frequently be building into eventually anyways. Beyond that, simply play safely. Tidebringer pushes the lane quite hard at higher levels, and you will get farm unless he has a support doing pulls.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)