This thread is stuffy. I think my sinuses are acting up. But yay new thread!
Looking into the vgui creation lag error. Shooting blanks. Joined a DarkRP server and pressed f4 so it lags. Attached VSleepy and did it multiple times. This is the offending callstack..
So I'm now looking at the possibility that it's caused by some of the updated steam libs. Although that doesn't quite explain why it's only happening when creating vgui.
Anyone got anything that can help me debug? Does it happen when creating any vgui? Only DImage panels? Only DLabel?
Ok - it looks like it might be to do with the Pyro's vision changing shit.
i think you forgot foohy's rollercoaster
how could you
.. Fixed it!
Due to the change in the HTML system - Panel:GetHTMLMaterial no longer exists - so in the next update I'll be making it error.
I have however added panel:BindHTMLTexture(). When you call it if it's successful it will return width and height of the texture, and bind it - so that any textured rects you draw (using surface) will draw using the texture.
If not successful it will return nothing.
Working on some HL2RP addons, one simple CWU combine lock and an auto application system for MPF so people don't need to be interviewed. Nothing special.
It's kinda annoying though, you usually were able to just store the material and delete the html panel, can't you manually move the html texture to a new texture?
I know that might be slower but it would keep functionality.
Why don't you do that yourself in Lua? Create a RT, bind the HTML texture, draw to the RT and remove the HTML panel.
Creating rendertargets no longer takes ages - not in GMod 13.
Also don't bring up the performance argument on something that you should do ONCE per HTML panel.
When I was playing a server with gmod 12, the HTML panel performance was amazing despite the fact it crashed when I tried to use the radio. New windows in HTML cause it to make a vgui window with the content and the mouse input seems to be slightly offset. But with like 10 HTML panels I didn't have much of a performance hit(other than the fact it was drawing 10 textured rects essentially) yet again the quality of the text looks pretty aliased. And the new transparency with the HTML panel -- if I can get that to work it would mean it wouldn't be unfeasable to have HTML guis like many games do now(crysis, dota 2, csgo etc, however they use scaleform which is just flash). I am pretty excited for this as the HTML panel used to have to be used very sparingly. You can actually make HUDs with HTML panels and not be afraid of a performance hit if you use it for each of your HUD elements!
wall of text
using a HTML panel for stuff? that's dumb.
Doesn't Overgrowth by Wolfire Games use HTML for all it's menu elements?
It does a pretty good job, I think it uses Awesomium? I know there was a module for it but it wasn't really widespread.
Does anyone know anything about it and if it could benefit Garry's Mod?
Pretty sure awesomium requires garry to pay for a license if he wants to include it in the game.
I don't think Garry made less than $100K last year...
Stop selling the game, Garry!
$3000 isn't that much for a game like Garry's Mod AFAIK...
even with the money on hand, 3K is still a lot to pay for something that isn't really needed in the game
large servers like GMT have shown that players are willing to go download it for free themselves
I think you people should stop debating about how much money garry has and if he's greedy or not. It's up to him.
I don't think we were really touching on that subject, we were just wondering if the addition of the framework was feasible... pure development.
Why would you even want to use Awesomium? We already have HTML panels.
So, good news and bad news.
Looking further into the new HTML panel stuff shows that even though they're now reading the alpha channel from cef it's still an older version of cef - so alpha isn't included. Which means no alpha.
So I looked into Awesomium this morning - and I like it! Took me 3 hours to fully implement it. And it has full transparency. It seems a lot faster in most situations too - but a lot slower in a couple of others. Which sucks but I think I can work around that.
That last screenshot is showing this http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3590255/Test...nsparency.html
Sooo, does that mean you are gonna include Awesomium?
All signs point to yes at the moment
Kinda late. Snip.
Cause the old way seems kinda hacky when you have to change the html title to send data to lua and having timers everywhere that execute shit the next frame. It looks less of a hack in the beta though.
It's kind of hard to transfer data from page to gmod is the problem.
Also Garry, are you giving us access to the bare bones of Awesomium, so we can create views and use all the functions in it? That'd be awesome for making 3d2d browsers
Thanks to Garry for fixing my DarkRP lag problems.
Seriously, I thought the lag was caused by my F4 menu being a complete and utter 1251-line-long piece of shit.
It probably still is a piece of shit, though, but still thanks to Garry for making it appear less shitty than it actually is.
Mind giving some examples where the panels are faster and slower? :)
Thanks for adding it, that's awesome.
So I've been working on some prop damage script in the last few days for my addon framework, mainly as a test.
Basically, all physical entities start with a set health when they are created (usually their mass). When they're severely damaged, they'll lose all constraints, and then once they've got no health, they'll get removed. It doesn't look that good on like 1-2 props, but on, say, a PHX truck, it looks pretty rad.
(apologies for the choppy video, I can't upload anything too big without my internet shitting itself)
The only thing left to do is add a nicer effect when props get destroyed.
There really isn't a purpose for gmod either. It's just for fun.