1. Post #1
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,245 Posts

Code:
    9:38 PM - Icemaz: make an faq thread in the SFM forum
    9:39 PM - Icemaz: or do you want someone else to do it!!
    9:40 PM - GameDev: Uhh people will yell at me but w/e
    9:40 PM - Icemaz: why will they yell wtf
    9:40 PM - GameDev: i make all the threads lmao
    9:40 PM - Icemaz: people have explicitly asked for an faq thread
    9:40 PM - GameDev: w/e ill do it!!!!
    9:40 PM - GameDev: !!
    Solved Questions:

"How do I get rid of these bright specks?"

Go to console in game or in SFM and type 'mat_specular 0'

"My shadows are all grainy and look weird, how do I fix this?"

You can fix this by either forcing DoF in Render settings to 32 or above, or messing around with SSAORadius in the animation set of your camera.

"Help! My videos are darker than usual when I export them!"

Use another codec than MPEG-4.

"ZOMGWTF?? My player is just a black silhouette when I'm in game!

Doesn't matter, it will show up fine in SFM after you record.

How do I kill my puppets?

You cannot shoot your puppets, you must use 'kill' or 'explode' when recording, then shoot when they die. You can, however, kill people in a multiplayer server.

Just how in the hell do I get DoF to work?

In order for DoF to work, you must create an animation set for your camera and adjust the settings in the motion editor. Note that you can only see these changes previewed when in the clip editor and select mode while you are paused.

"How do I lock a hat or an object onto a player?"

This one is hard to get used to. In the animation set editor, click and drag the body part you wish to lock the model to onto it's check box (I.E. Drag 'Bip_LHand' onto 'w_pistol'). Then go to the motion editor and use the playhead preset to iron out the countermotion it creates from being locked. Save changes and review your work.

If you're still confused, review Bay Raitt's SFM Locks tutorial, just imagine the camera is a hat or a model.

Edited:

Thanks to Jojje for this great hat tutorial.

Does SFM have multiplayer?

Yes, but LAN only. Bypass this via hamachi.

"How do I make my medic heal recordings without multiplayer?

"I Get a nice white line through my viewport like this, what's causing it?

You probably are using an integrated chipset and don't meet the minimum specs. Refer to the "What are the specs for SFM?" Question.

Edited:

Critnuke found a fix for this:

You need to make the camera an animation set, then set the bloom slider all the way to the left. You need to do it for every new camera, but it removes the white line.

How do I use my own custom sounds in SFM?

Use a program like Audacity or Audition to encode the file as a 44100 Hz, 16 bit Wave file. Place it in steamapps/common/SourceFilmmaker/game/usermod/sound/

Particles?

Particles.

I have discrete NVIDIA graphics, but my computer keeps using the intel integrated. How do I fix this?

Update your drivers to the latest release, and make sure that sfm.exe is set to prefer the NVIDIA graphics in the NVIDIA control panel.

"What are the minimum specs for SFM?"

Taken from Valve:

Processor: 3.0 GHz P4, Dual Core 2.0 (or higher) or AMD64X2 (or higher)
    Memory: 2GB (4 GB suggested)
    Hard Disk Space: At least 15 GB of Space
    Video: NVIDIA GeForce 200 series card or better, or AMD Radeon 3000 series or better (NVIDIA GeForce 400 series or AMD Radeon 5000 series preferred)
    Monitor: 1366 x 768 (1920 x 1080 suggested)
    Audio: DirectX 9.0c compatible
    USB headset with mic (suggested)

I'll be adding more questions as this thread progresses.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner x 16Useful x 8Informative x 2Friendly x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    I do it all
    November 2010
    12,287 Posts
    I can't render in 1080p without it crashing/2fort makes the water look like little cubes mixed together

This is a current bug with Source Filmmaker and we're expecting a patch in time
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    November 2007
    726 Posts
    Here's a bit of useful info courtesy of p0rtalplayer to get Colour Correction, DoF and other effects to be processed when making posters:

Easy way around it is to render as a movie, but set the type to "Image sequence" and have it only render one frame, that one being whatever frame of the movie you want.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,579 Posts
    There should be a better fix for the player being a big black blob of squares. It'd get pretty annoying having to record yourself when you can't really tell what your player looks like.
    But besides that, good thread idea. I hope there'll be other things such as tips to making videos look nicer and such.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    897 Posts
    Here's a bit of useful info courtesy of p0rtalplayer to get Colour Correction, DoF and other effects to be processed when making posters:
    Only issue with this is that you cannot export at 1080p or higher. I just exported the film grain and vignette vtf's and readd them in gimp.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

6. Post #6
    February 2010
    12,245 Posts
    There should be a better fix for the player being a big black blob of squares. It'd get pretty annoying having to record yourself when you can't really tell what your player looks like.
    But besides that, good thread idea. I hope there'll be other things such as tips to making videos look nicer and such.
    It's a bug, I'm sure it will be fixed soon

7. Post #7
    June 2009
    239 Posts
    I can't render in 1080p without it crashing/2fort makes the water look like little cubes mixed together

This is a current bug with Source Filmmaker and we're expecting a patch in time
    I wonder where this bug even came from? The leak never had an issue rendering at 1080p or whatever custom resolution you chose.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8

March 2012
    1,136 Posts
    Added something to the first Q/A:

"How do I get rid of these bright specks?"

Go to console in game or in SFM and type 'mat_specular 0'
    I recommend putting this command in your autoexec.cfg file.

9. Post #9
    August 2010
    6,140 Posts
    Added something to the first Q/A:
    The autoexec.cfg in which directory? "game/tf/cfg"?

10. Post #10

March 2012
    1,136 Posts
    The autoexec.cfg in which directory? "game/tf/cfg"?
    "tf/cfg" (create one; if already there, edit it)

"tf_movie/cfg" (has to be edited)

"usermod/cfg" (has to be edited)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    897 Posts
    Works just adding it to the usermod/cfg autoexec.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Useful Useful x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    THE GRINCH WHO STOLE COSMETICS
    Dennab
    August 2011
    5,740 Posts
    How exactly can I use locks to merge hats to models?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    July 2009
    361 Posts
    Any fix for this:
    Inside every camera space is a white line, And really bad fullbrighted graphics. Also when you render it looks like how the camera did, Heres a video:
    (not mine)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    February 2010
    12,245 Posts
    How exactly can I use locks to merge hats to models?
    Added to OP

Edited:

What are the specs needed for SFM?
    ditto

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,059 Posts
    What are the specs needed for SFM?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

16. Post #16
    February 2010
    12,245 Posts
    Any fix for this:
    Inside every camera space is a white line, And really bad fullbrighted graphics. Also when you render it looks like how the camera did, Heres a video:
    (not mine)
    I don't think we've actually found a fix yet unless I'm mistaken

17. Post #17
    July 2009
    361 Posts
    I don't think we've actually found a fix yet unless I'm mistaken
    Odd bug, Hopefully people here will know.

18. Post #18
    THE GRINCH WHO STOLE COSMETICS
    Dennab
    August 2011
    5,740 Posts
    Another random question: How do I change the color of a hat? Does it have something to do with the element viewer?

19. Post #19
    November 2010
    1,332 Posts
    Any fix for this:
    (not mine)
    I found a fix for the fullbrighted graphics.

Put this in the console: mat_picmip -1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    February 2010
    12,245 Posts
    Another random question: How do I change the color of a hat? Does it have something to do with the element viewer?
    If it has a skin you can change it in the element viewer, i don't think you can change the color manually though.

21. Post #21
    July 2009
    361 Posts
    I found a fix for the fullbrighted graphics.

Put this in the console: mat_picmip -1
    Didnt seem to work for me, I mean like, The graphics once im recording look nice, In the camera and editing, They're bad.

22. Post #22
    November 2010
    1,332 Posts
    Didnt seem to work for me, I mean like, The graphics once im recording look nice, In the camera and editing, They're bad.
    Try mat_picmip -3 then

23. Post #23
    I will take every opportunity to remind you that I'm not gay
    January 2010
    4,755 Posts
    There's a white line going diagonally across my screen. As far as I know, the only way to get rid of it is to check "Show Ambient Occlusion" under the render settings. But when I do that, the screen freezes until I uncheck it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    July 2009
    361 Posts
    Try mat_picmip -3 then
    Nope. I don't know whats wrong.

25. Post #25
    The Cold Wind Of France
    November 2008
    17,278 Posts
    Try mat_picmip -3 then
    it's at -10 per default, lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Funny Funny x 8Winner Winner x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    February 2010
    12,245 Posts
    There's a white line going diagonally across my screen. As far as I know, the only way to get rid of it is to check "Show Ambient Occlusion" under the render settings. But when I do that, the screen freezes until I uncheck it.
    Do you meet the minimum specs? Maybe its a graphics issue, shot in the dark.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

27. Post #27
    Abused by Girlfriend
    January 2010
    18,082 Posts
    You can turn yourself in to a black silhouette if you disable particles. Works for me.

Edited:

Why do I lag on every map that isn't a default map? How do I fix this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    1,848 Posts
    You can turn yourself in to a black silhouette if you disable particles. Works for me.

Edited:

Why do I lag on every map that isn't a default map? How do I fix this?
    I get 0.5 fps on half of the maps, excluding koth_nucleus and 2fort (Didn't test any others, but lumberyard and barnblitz do the 0.5 fps thing)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

29. Post #29
    May 2012
    60 Posts
    Does creating a server for multiplayer actors require doing anything for preparations like boosting ports, etc.?

Or does it work another way?

(I don't have SFM, but I'm just wondering. :U)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

30. Post #30
    SteamDB
    November 2007
    10,737 Posts
    Instead of manually removing every stupid entity that was "double" recorded (doors, medipacks, supply closets, the nucleus generator thing) is there a way to properly do this? I tried unselecting entities from the record dialog but this does not seem to help.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

31. Post #31
    February 2010
    12,245 Posts
    Does creating a server for multiplayer actors require doing anything for preparations like boosting ports, etc.?

Or does it work another way?

(I don't have SFM, but I'm just wondering. :U)
    Multiplayer only works over lan currently, so to use it with a steam friend you have to set up a hamachi
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    December 2009
    2,893 Posts
    Can I use HL2?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

33. Post #33
    PENISCORP DIRECTOR
    August 2007
    2,738 Posts
    Yes, although you may have to manually import the maps. I believe most of the models and textures are already included with SFM's beta.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    CJF
    August 2006
    15,847 Posts
    What's the best way to go back and correct mistakes or re-timing things? I had a lot of trouble doing this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

35. Post #35
    I do it all
    November 2010
    12,287 Posts
    What's the best way to go back and correct mistakes or re-timing things? I had a lot of trouble doing this.
    like animations and cameras? Graph editor, edit the keyframes, honestly the fastest method for me to fix up stuff that I may think is too awful or unclean, then go back into the motion editor and smooth it out to make it look good

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    3,891 Posts
    Does SFM have multiplayer?

Yes, but LAN only.
    It's not LAN only, I joined a friend's server after he gave me the IP and we're not in a LAN since we live at different sides of the country.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 5 (list)

37. Post #37
    Any fix for this:
    (not mine)
    You used my video as an example! <3

Has anyone figured out how to get Portal 2 maps to work yet?

38. Post #38
    Ex-Least Respected Usergroup
    June 2007
    6,859 Posts
    DoF tut
    For this tutorial I'm just gonna be taking a screenshot of the heavy in the Meet the Heavy scene. If we just straight up render it to a poster this is what we get.

Aside from the fuzzy AO, there isn't any DoF in this because it hasn't been set on, so lets get going with that.

First decide what you want to be in focus, in this instance I want the Heavies face to be in focus. In order to achieve this, first open up the motion editor and select the camera (afd_A_take24_camera_lars in this case), now using the second viewport, move the work camera away to the side of the scene so you can see the funnel created by the main camera. This will help you to get accurate results. If you can't see the cameras funnel then right click on the work camera's viewport > Display > Show Camera Frustrum. If all has gone well you'll see the cone, but also a square lined area. This is the area which will be in focus when you render.

With the camera selected, move the focalDistance slider so that the square is around the area you want in focus. Moving it to the left will bring it towards the camera, and to the right away. Now, change the aperture slider. Moving it to the right will increase the amount of blur, and to the left will decrease it. Press F2 to preview your settings. Then, right click on the main viewport > Render Settings, and ensure that DoF is on and is set to "Use Camera Settings".

The best way to get the results you want is to just fiddle around with the settings until you're comfortable with it all. You can also animate the DoF to give your videos a bit more of a dynamic effect if you want.
    If there's any mistakes sorry!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 4Informative Informative x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Judging people just because of their avatars/titles is RETARDED
    March 2011
    8,305 Posts
    Question, how do i import other models besides Tf2? Like Mario, Sonic models etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

40. Post #40
    "The superior man understands what is right; the inferior man understands what will sell"
    August 2011
    3,287 Posts
    Add them to steamfolder/common/SourceFilmmaker/tf_movies/models.

The tf_movies folder can be any of the other games one, I just prefer it there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events