1. Post #521
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Code:
    [ RUN      ] l10n.getTranslation
    [       OK ] l10n.getTranslation (0 ms)
    My first test driven development function. :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

2. Post #522
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts
    Code:
    [ RUN      ] l10n.getTranslation
    [       OK ] l10n.getTranslation (0 ms)
    My first test driven development function. :D
    It's funny, but I still don't know what you're making. Even after all this time.
    As far as I can remember; through every single post you've made while I've been reading WAYWO, through all your locale pain/hard disk crashes/etc, you've never mentioned what any of your projects...actually are?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #523
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    It's funny, but I still don't know what you're making. Even after all this time.
    As far as I can remember; through every single post you've made while I've been reading WAYWO, through all your locale pain/hard disk crashes/etc, you've never mentioned what any of your projects...actually are?
    Eh, I'm trying to make a game, but I'm just so slow at it and I can't really find a concrete idea for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Optimistic x 2Informative x 1Dumb x 1Late x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #524
    Follow me on github!
    January 2009
    2,619 Posts
    Doing a cyber securirty training camp, it's pretty fun.

Today, we made trojans with netcat, a binder, and cmd.exe. (Netcat is a program that creates a SSH-like session without authenication, using anything console based as it's payload)

Only problem is cmd.exe is a weak payload (can't transfer files) so I think I'm going to try and make my own payload that allows me to transfer stuff (which is more practical, although I suppose it's more practical to just embed a metasploit exploit in a webpage and just use that)
    Cool who is doing that?
    Also did you basically just do:
    ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

5. Post #525
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,487 Posts
    Eh, I'm trying to make a game, but I'm just so slow at it and I can't really find a concrete idea for it.
    You could make a game where your objectives are given to you in a language you don't understand. You can either put in the time to learn the language just to read what they're saying, or go on a different side-objective to collect some sort of Rosetta stone to translate their dialogue into English or whatever the player's language is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #526
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    1,035 Posts
    My second python homework was to
    "Make a winter scene with a snow man and a Christmas tree using the graphics import"
    Exactly that sentence, nothing more or less said.

The balls change color every 0.5 seconds
    I think i went the extra mile. Some comments are references to stuff we went over in class today.
    Code:
    #winter.pyw
    #July 11, 2012
    #Homework 6

from graphics import *
    from time import *
    from random import *

def main():
        #Create Window
        win = GraphWin("Winter Scene", 400, 200)
        #Set background to winter color (Light Blue)
        win.setBackground(color_rgb(173, 216, 230))

#Creating the ground to be snow white.
        ground = Rectangle(Point(400, 141), Point(0, 200))
        ground.setFill("white")
        ground.setOutline("white")
        ground.draw(win)

#Creating the visual seperation between the ground and the sky
        groundhorizon = Line(Point(400, 140), Point(0, 140))
        groundhorizon.setWidth(2)
        groundhorizon.draw(win)

#Create the snowman body
        #create 3 circles for the snow man with black outline and white body

#The bottom of the snow man
        largecircle = Circle(Point(60, 146), 33)
        largecircle.setOutline("black")
        largecircle.setFill("white")
        largecircle.setWidth(3)
        largecircle.draw(win)

#The medium (body) of the snow man
        medcircle = Circle(Point(60, 104), 27)
        medcircle.setOutline("black")
        medcircle.setFill("white")
        medcircle.setWidth(3)
        medcircle.draw(win)

#The head of the snow man
        smallcircle = Circle(Point(60, 65), 22)
        smallcircle.setOutline("black")
        smallcircle.setFill("white")
        smallcircle.setWidth(3)
        smallcircle.draw(win)

#The smile of the snow man
        smile1 = Circle(Point(60, 65), 15)
        smile1.setOutline("black")
        smile1.setFill("white")
        smile1.setWidth(3)
        smile1.draw(win)

#The smile of the snow man
        smile2 = Circle(Point(60, 62), 15)
        smile2.setOutline("white")
        smile2.setFill("white")
        smile2.setWidth(3)
        smile2.draw(win)

#The nose of the snow man
        nose = Circle(Point(60, 67), 2)
        nose.setOutline("black")
        nose.setFill("black")
        nose.setWidth(3)
        nose.draw(win)

#This is the rim of the top hat
        tophatbase = Oval(Point(40, 50), Point(80, 40))
        tophatbase.setWidth(10)
        tophatbase.draw(win)

#This is part of the cone
        tophatcone1 = Oval(Point(47, 45), Point(73, 35))
        tophatcone1.setWidth(10)
        tophatcone1.draw(win)

#This is a second part of the cone
        tophatcone2 = Oval(Point(47, 35), Point(73, 25))
        tophatcone2.setWidth(10)
        tophatcone2.draw(win)

#The Left Eye
        leye = Circle(Point(53, 60), 2)
        leye.setOutline("black")
        leye.setFill("black")
        leye.setWidth(3)
        leye.draw(win)

#The Right Eye
        reye = Circle(Point(67, 60), 2)
        reye.setOutline("black")
        reye.setFill("black")
        reye.setWidth(3)
        reye.draw(win)

#The left arm (Doesn't look good, i scraped it)
        #lefthand = Line(Point(45, 110), Point(10, 60))
        #lefthand.setFill("brown")
        #lefthand.setOutline("brown")
        #lefthand.setWidth(2)
        #lefthand.draw(win)

#Creating the trunk of the tree.
        trunk = Rectangle(Point(319, 173), Point(341, 197))
        trunk.setFill("brown")
        trunk.setOutline("black")
        trunk.setWidth(3)
        trunk.draw(win)

#The top of the tree
        toptree = Polygon(Point(329, 100), Point(279, 172),Point(379, 172))
        toptree.setOutline("black")
        toptree.setFill("green")
        toptree.setWidth(3)
        toptree.draw(win)

#The middle of the tree
        midtree = Polygon(Point(329, 70), Point(279, 130),Point(379, 130))
        midtree.setOutline("black")
        midtree.setFill("green")
        midtree.setWidth(3)
        midtree.draw(win)

#The bottom of the tree, I personaly dont like the size, i went in Paint to find better points but i dont know.
        bottomtree = Polygon(Point(329, 40), Point(279, 88),Point(379, 88))
        bottomtree.setOutline("black")
        bottomtree.setFill("green")
        bottomtree.setWidth(3)
        bottomtree.draw(win)

#At this point it just looked like a normal tree, and I did not want to put presents so I decided to go with:

#The following is Christmas balls, later in the code I plan that they change color and make it animated.
        ball1 = Circle(Point(307, 77), 5)
        ball1.setOutline("black")
        ball1.setFill("red")
        ball1.setWidth(3)
        ball1.draw(win)

ball2 = Circle(Point(336, 62), 5)
        ball2.setOutline("black")
        ball2.setFill("orange")
        ball2.setWidth(3)
        ball2.draw(win)

ball3 = Circle(Point(306, 111), 5)
        ball3.setOutline("black")
        ball3.setFill("blue")
        ball3.setWidth(3)
        ball3.draw(win)

ball4 = Circle(Point(340, 120), 5)
        ball4.setOutline("black")
        ball4.setFill("yellow")
        ball4.setWidth(3)
        ball4.draw(win)

ball5 = Circle(Point(352, 155), 5)
        ball5.setOutline("black")
        ball5.setFill("purple")
        ball5.setWidth(3)
        ball5.draw(win)

ball6 = Circle(Point(301, 156), 5)
        ball6.setOutline("black")
        ball6.setFill("brown")
        ball6.setWidth(3)
        ball6.draw(win)

#list of colors
        colorList = ["red", "brown", "blue", "yellow", "orange", "purple"]

#At this point in the code I figured instead of using a random integer I could make it go much faster
        #To shuffle the list. It worked and now i can have the colors change at a 0.5 second rate.
        #I also chose this method because I could not get 6 (balls) random intervals at the same time, impossible.

#while 1 == 1 is an infinite loop. I probably should of not done this, ill accept critisim on how I should of
        #done it.
        while 1 == 1:
            sleep(0.5)
            shuffle(colorList)
            ball6.setFill(colorList[5])
            ball5.setFill(colorList[4])
            ball4.setFill(colorList[3])
            ball3.setFill(colorList[2])
            ball2.setFill(colorList[1])
            ball1.setFill(colorList[0])
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #527
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    You could make a game where your objectives are given to you in a language you don't understand. You can either put in the time to learn the language just to read what they're saying, or go on a different side-objective to collect some sort of Rosetta stone to translate their dialogue into English or whatever the player's language is.
    That's.. actually an intereseting thought considering the current idea I have. TO PLAN.TXT.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #528
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    1,035 Posts

E mega dryd etay
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #529
    Programming King and Most Patient Member 2013
    December 2008
    1,199 Posts
    My second python homework was to
    "Make a winter scene with a snow man and a Christmas tree using the graphics import"
    Exactly that sentence, nothing more or less said.

The balls change color every 0.5 seconds
    I think i went the extra mile. Some comments are references to stuff we went over in class today.
    Try having some snowflakes that fall down the screen? That would set it off, I think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #530
    December 2009
    3,248 Posts
    I don't understand what you mean. Are you wondering about what happens for objects that actually need to be bound for rendering?
    No, I want to slightly automate texture management.

When a texture is bound the method looks for an unused texture unit and binds the texture to that instead of replacing the current binding on the active texture unit.

glBindTexture is supposedly relatively slow and this way I don't have to rebind textures when drawing because they stay bound to the same texture unit.

I'm not sure how practical this is on cards with fewer texture units (mine has around 160) or if it would be better to use a texture manager class instead.

Edited:

If I wanted to render multiple of the same object in different positions with a VBO in OpenGL, would I just create a bunch of VBOs with different positions, or is there a better way to do it?
    You can use the usual VBO for the mesh in object space, then put the transformation matrices in a uniform array or a buffer and draw with instancing, which gives you an index in the vertex shader for each instance of the object that is drawn.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #531
    May 2011
    139 Posts

Getting back into game dev, this should be fun.
    Finally got my game to import maps from my map editor.
    By finally I mean I started working on the map editor around 3 PM yesterday... it's 6:30 AM the next day now, should probably get some sleep :V.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #532
    October 2011
    943 Posts
    I'm writing a patcher client to use in later projects but one concern I have is where should I store config files. And if I use an installer for my program can I delete the executable and replace it with another(in the case that an update for the binary is available).

Right now I have a config file in the same directory as the binary, it works but I can't help but think about professional applications that use the user folder for these things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

13. Post #533
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,745 Posts

I finally figured out how to have multiple textures so I decided to make the light project textures!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 4Artistic Artistic x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #534
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,446 Posts
    I was just looking through Minecraft's source code to see how it manages entity rendering and from what I can tell, it works something like this:
    Each entity essentially has two classes; one for entity logic and one for entity rendering. The rendering class derives from a base 'render' class (although it's possible that this is a result of the decompiler, and the original code has the render class templated instead). There is also a 'RenderManager' class which maps entity classes to their respective renderers.
    My question is, what reasons are there for splitting up the entity logic and rendering like this? If each entity has exactly one logic class and exactly one rendering class, doesn't that mean you could essentially just have the logic and rendering for each entity in one single class?

And please, try not to answer just with something like 'notch is a shit coder' or whatever, I am interested in the upsides of doing something like this.

Edited:

Actually, I just thought of one; you only need one instance of a render class to render all entities of that type, rather than having multiple instances, one for each copy of each entity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

15. Post #535
    I Actually Use Radeon.
    February 2006
    3,543 Posts
    Okay, gonna make my first post here.

I wanted to learn the use of for loops in javascript and this is what I got after a few days.
    Pretty simple but it was fun to make and I learned a lot of new stuff.

And here is my ball game I've been working on. I kinda stopped working on this because I haven't got the inspiration in a long time.

My latest addition is the main menu which is pretty good I think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 31Winner Winner x 8Programming King Programming King x 2 (list)

16. Post #536
    October 2009
    1,937 Posts
    I was going to say something nice but.. fuck you man, fuck you

Now I'm more embarrassed than ever by my lack of stuff as awesome as yours to show off in the last year and a half or so. :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Egypt Show Events Friendly Friendly x 8Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #537
    I Actually Use Radeon.
    February 2006
    3,543 Posts
    I was going to say something nice but.. fuck you man, fuck you

Now I'm more embarrassed than ever by my lack of stuff as awesome as yours to show off in the last year and a half or so. :(
    Don't be.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7 (list)

18. Post #538
    Wow.. Awesome. Any chance you can put the sources available for download? I would love to learn from those.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #539
    I Actually Use Radeon.
    February 2006
    3,543 Posts
    Wow.. Awesome. Any chance you can put the sources available for download? I would love to learn from those.
    Heh, they are pretty messy. It's like handing my dirty underwear to someone.

But, here is the minecraft terrain generator.
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3975474/perlin.js

Just drop it under an empty gameobject. It will probably give errors because it can't find gameobject called "Cam" but i'm not sure if it stops it from working. If it does, you gotta edit the script a little bit.
    You'll also need to define a few gameobjects. The ocean mesh is just a plane and the Block is a 1x6x1 cube.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

20. Post #540
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,446 Posts

I wanted to learn the use of for loops in javascript and this is what I got after a few days.
    Pretty simple but it was fun to make and I learned a lot of new stuff.

And here is my ball game I've been working on. I kinda stopped working on this because I haven't got the inspiration in a long time.

My latest addition is the main menu which is pretty good I think.
    The ball game looks very nice, did you make the models yourself?

21. Post #541
    I Actually Use Radeon.
    February 2006
    3,543 Posts
    The ball game looks very nice, did you make the models yourself?
    Yes, I'm primarily a 3D artist, so it was a piece of cake. Been using 3dsmax ~4,5 years and xsi few months since I started working at Futuremark.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 18Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #542
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,219 Posts
    That menu system is awesome
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #543
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,446 Posts
    Yes, I'm primarily a 3D artist, so it was a piece of cake. Been using 3dsmax ~4,5 years and xsi few months since I started working at Futuremark.
    Well, you've done an excellent job on them!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #544
    I Actually Use Radeon.
    February 2006
    3,543 Posts
    Well, you've done an excellent job on them!
    To be honest, the entire level is made out of just 1 piece of wood and 1 stone + few misc props.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #545
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,446 Posts
    To be honest, the entire level is made out of just 1 piece of wood and 1 stone + few misc props.
    Be that as it may, they are a very sexy piece of wood, stone and assorted miscellaneous props ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #546
    June 2012
    549 Posts
    I was just looking through Minecraft's source code to see how it manages entity rendering and from what I can tell, it works something like this:
    Each entity essentially has two classes; one for entity logic and one for entity rendering. The rendering class derives from a base 'render' class (although it's possible that this is a result of the decompiler, and the original code has the render class templated instead). There is also a 'RenderManager' class which maps entity classes to their respective renderers.
    My question is, what reasons are there for splitting up the entity logic and rendering like this? If each entity has exactly one logic class and exactly one rendering class, doesn't that mean you could essentially just have the logic and rendering for each entity in one single class?

And please, try not to answer just with something like 'notch is a shit coder' or whatever, I am interested in the upsides of doing something like this.

Edited:

Actually, I just thought of one; you only need one instance of a render class to render all entities of that type, rather than having multiple instances, one for each copy of each entity.
    Actually there's one reason I can think of. If you want two entities to share rendering code without sharing other logic code, it can be a good way to decouple it. It's also a good general approach since it's a step towards component based entities.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #547
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts

Neat. Reminds me quite a bit of Trine:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 25 (list)

28. Post #548
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,085 Posts
    It still looks great fucking awesome though!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events Agree Agree x 7Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #549
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,605 Posts
    I visit both the 3D thread and the programming thread regularly, so I was confused for a second and thought that Nvidia reposted some old stuff.

They still look lovely as always.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #550
    I Actually Use Radeon.
    February 2006
    3,543 Posts
    Hell yeah, I like Trine's art style. Also my friend works at Frozenbyte and I've been in their office, cool people, and they gave me beer and hotdogs, can't dislike that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 13Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #551
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,846 Posts
    I was just about to say that. It looks a lot like Trine (Which is a good thing because Trine is a beautiful game)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #552
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,446 Posts
    Actually there's one reason I can think of. If you want two entities to share rendering code without sharing other logic code, it can be a good way to decouple it. It's also a good general approach since it's a step towards component based entities.
    That also makes a lot of sense. Thank you!

33. Post #553
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    This is no longer a subforum, people!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Late Late x 4 (list)

34. Post #554
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts
    This is no longer a subforum, people!
    Uh. I'm fairly sure we've been a forum in our own right for quite some time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

35. Post #555
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,485 Posts
    I visit both the 3D thread and the programming thread regularly, so I was confused for a second and thought that Nvidia reposted some old stuff.

They still look lovely as always.
    Yeah, I was a little confused too.

(This guy is literally the only reason I ever visit that thread. )

Edited:

Uh. I'm fairly sure we've been a forum in our own right for quite some time.
    we have. We've been shifted down the page a bit, though. Garry promoted a few subforums into their own forums, I think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #556
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    I am on a roll with posting misinformation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events

37. Post #557
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,485 Posts
    I am on a roll with posting misinformation.
    Technically you didn't post anything incorrect, so it's fine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

38. Post #558
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,845 Posts
    Yay for my first independently made program!

Edited:

It now allows decimals! Whoa!

39. Post #559
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    Yay for my first independently made program!

Edited:

It now allows decimals! Whoa!
    Is the volume of a circle with 8 cm radius now not off by 6 cubic cm anymore?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

40. Post #560
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,845 Posts
    Fuck

Edited:

Precision is for science nerds.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Programming King Programming King x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)