1. Post #641
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    1,386 Posts
    I was making a program that would make a random 8 long code and try to download it from pastebin. but now pastebin isn't loading for me. They hate me now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 6Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #642
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    This bug just sneaked its way into my code:

for ( uint y = height - 1; y >= 0; y-- )

Heh, Paint writes 0 to the pixel array size field in the BMP header. Fuck standards!
    for this reason I never ever loop backwards. I loop forwards and subtract 'i' from the length.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #643
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    the fuck is backdoor.poison
    its poison in your backdoor
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 5Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #644
    September 2011
    181 Posts
    I present to you.... the most annoying feline in existence, on Gameboy Color.

ROM: nyan.gbc
    I'll post the source after I've tidied it up a little.
    The missing sprinkles on the poptart are due to GBC palette limitations.

EDIT: Thanks to Chris220 for pointing out a small error in the intro notes. Video and ROM have been updated to reflect this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 17Funny Funny x 2Programming King Programming King x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #645
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    Wait, what? Did we actually not like the guy?
    I always thought he was one of the nicer regulars.
    I think the problem was that he claimed to have invented geometry wars.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 10Zing Zing x 1 (list)

6. Post #646
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,966 Posts
    Decided to try and remake Riven (Myst II) using the original game assets. This means decoding their archive file (not too bad) then their image file (god awful). I fiddled for about 2 hours trying to get image decoding to work before giving up and copying bits of the decoder from someone's open source java project, boy it's so good to see an actual image and not just random garbage.

Next up, decoding the rest of the file types in the archive and seeing if I can get this thing interactive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 15 (list)

7. Post #647
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,876 Posts
    Is there actually an advantage to remaking it or is it just a pet project?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #648
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,273 Posts
    Aren't 99% of the things here personal projects anyway?
    Anyway, the idea of remaking a game just seems awesome to me. And the fact you have to reverse engineer it then re-use the assets to make a replica is pretty impressive too
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

9. Post #649
    February 2008
    563 Posts
    Yeah, in my experience the steam version still doesn't play all videos and crashes all the time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #650
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,131 Posts
    Also you can add in lua
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #651
    July 2009
    6,009 Posts
    This is an I/O pair from an actual peer reviewed paper:

This is my I/O:

(Input is an electron micrograph of a rat's visual cortex. Dataset: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC524270/ )

It's not much, but it's getting there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Uruguay Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

12. Post #652
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    1,386 Posts
    I was making a program that would make a random 8 long code and try to download it from pastebin. but now pastebin isn't loading for me. They hate me now.
    Seriously their DoS protection is crazy sensitive, i think they banned me or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

13. Post #653
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,131 Posts
    I have a friend who managed to do it without getting blocked, but when I tried it would go "Whoa! slow down" or something and block me for a few seconds
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #654
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    I had planned to implement textures for OOGL today, but I had so much fun writing the image class that I decided to implement BMP and TGA as good as possible. I just finished the RLE compression for the TGA writer and it actually produces a smaller file than Photoshop! I'm going to implement the GIF, JPEG and PNG loaders/writers tomorrow and then finally add a Texture class. I'm writing the GIF implementation myself as well, but leaving JPEG and PNG up to libjpeg and libpng respectively.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

15. Post #655
    August 2010
    1,181 Posts
    Making an Android version of my game. Not sure what the objective will be yet, but the PC and mobile version should be able to play together.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 2 (list)

16. Post #656
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,016 Posts
    Arcadia is on sale for £1 in the steam summer sale. Support a fellow WAYWO'er! (Well a banned one anyway)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/72500/
    How did that get on Steam when Rotion didn't
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #657
    Der FΓΌhrer
    January 2011
    4,115 Posts
    How did that get on Steam when Rotion didn't
    i got it gifted to me, but i can't believe i had to go into settings and manually turn on music and sfx

i demand a refund
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 17 (list)

18. Post #658
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,758 Posts
    Just finished my first program, pretty happy with it. It's the game mastermind.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/mastermind.exe
    I'm missing a MSVCR100D.dll; I can't run it. :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

19. Post #659
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    6,580 Posts
    I'm missing a MSVCR100D.dll; I can't run it. :(
    It's probably because you're running linux. I did some stuff with windows.h for pausing the program and stuff, because I have NO idea how to make portable applications (yet)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #660
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,758 Posts
    It's probably because you're running linux. I did some stuff with windows.h for pausing the program and stuff, because I have NO idea how to make portable applications (yet)
    No, from what I know it is because your exe is compiled in debug mode, making it require visual studio debug libraries. Not everyone has visual studio.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #661
    April 2011
    2,557 Posts
    No, from what I know it is because your exe is compiled in debug mode, making it require visual studio debug libraries. Not everyone has visual studio.
    I have a lot of visual studio versions installed on my computer, including C# 2010 and C++ 2008, and yet i can't run this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Funny Funny x 2 (list)

22. Post #662
    August 2007
    857 Posts
    Probably because you need C++ 2010.
    MS Visual C++ Runtime (v10)(Debug)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

23. Post #663
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,131 Posts
    I have decided to revive my ComputerCraft masterpiece Roguecraft in my shell because it's already mostly compatible.

Here you can see the upgraded HD graphics, which are now in color. Below my carefully crafted pillar of sand is an Errur, a wild beast with metaphysical properties.

Let's see what happens when it touches you...

Random characters start appearing and "FREE MAAAAARS" is burned into the middle of your screen in flashing colors

Because this exits the game and persists without interrupting use of the shell, it's much more effective and more like a virus. It really gives you more incentive to stay alive than a simple "GAME OVER"

Edited:

Here's the new and improved title screen

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

24. Post #664
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    6,580 Posts
    Ooh, then do you know how i can make it into a proper .exe? I couldn't find much help with a search, surprisingly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Funny Funny x 2 (list)

25. Post #665
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    Ooh, then do you know how i can make it into a proper .exe? I couldn't find much help with a search, surprisingly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 2Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #666
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    6,580 Posts
    That's what I did.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #667
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,159 Posts
    I think the problem was that he claimed to have invented geometry wars.
    Not sure if there were other reasons but the famous quote was directed at me and I don't remember being offended in any way.

I actually did say that I saw grids and distortion in his game and decided to remake it. A few posts above it even.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events

28. Post #668
    Follow me on GitHub!
    June 2011
    2,101 Posts
    I was talking to my girlfriend, and she agrees that the main reason we think that quote was bad was because he invokes his girlfriend out of nowhere just to point out he has one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 26Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #669
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,159 Posts
    I was talking to my girlfriend, and she agrees that the main reason we think that quote was bad was because he invokes his girlfriend out of nowhere just to point out he has one.
    Yeah but I'm pretty sure there's more than one other person here guilty of the same.
    Besides, it's not like he was rubbing it in anyone's face.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events

30. Post #670
    HQRSE FUCKER
    September 2009
    3,070 Posts
    Programming nerd e-relationships.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #671
    October 2009
    1,994 Posts
    My girlfriend just told me you're doing the same.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Egypt Show Events Funny Funny x 22Late Late x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #672
    June 2012
    549 Posts
    Generally you try to abstract your drawing related code into a few generic classes to avoid repeating the same code over and over. In these cases, you store any uniform or attribute locations that you want to update in the class, so you don't have to look them up every time.
    If you hide the fact that you need to perform the lookup, people won't bother with caching the value.
    Couldn't almost the same thing be said about binding buffers?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

33. Post #673
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,451 Posts
    Can someone explain how do quaternions work?
    Quaternions are like complex numbers except they have three imaginary numbers instead of just one

It follows from the above equation that the product of two different imaginary units is the third imaginary unit, either positive or negative, depending on the order of the operands. Thus multiplication isn't commutative and division is undefined. Addition and subtraction is done as you would with complex numbers.

The simplest way to represent quaternions is as the sum of a scalar and a three-dimensional vector, where the vector represents the imaginary numbers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #674
    May 2010
    5,413 Posts
    Quaternions are like complex numbers except they have three imaginary numbers instead of just one

It follows from the above equation that the product of two different imaginary units is the third imaginary unit, either positive or negative, depending on the order of the operands. Thus multiplication isn't commutative and division is undefined. Addition and subtraction is done as you would with complex numbers.

The simplest way to represent quaternions is as the sum of a scalar and a three-dimensional vector, where the vector represents the imaginary numbers.
    If rotation is given as a 4 value quaterion, how do you apply it to a 4x4matrix?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

35. Post #675
    November 2007
    599 Posts
    I've never bothered to learn how quaternions actually work, anything I need can be looked up, added to a quat class and then I don't need to worry about it again. Same with anything math related, I'm not too good with maths.

http://clb.demon.fi/MathGeoLib/reference.html This is an absolute goldmine of math shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 7Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #676
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts
    Couldn't almost the same thing be said about binding buffers?
    Not really, since in this case the buffers are objects whereas uniform locations are identifiers.
    It makes sense for a buffer object to automatically bind itself when performing operations on itself, but performing lookups is hidden functionality.
    Perhaps the problem could be avoided by program.LookupUniform returning a Uniform object, the value of which you can then set via the object.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

37. Post #677
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,451 Posts
    If rotation is given as a 4 value quaterion, how do you apply it to a 4x4matrix?
    /* quat = cos(theta/2) + sin(theta/2) * axis */

/* Axis is contained in the imaginary vector
     * It's just scaled */

axis = quat.vector / quat.vector.length();

/* The real part of the quaternion is cos(theta/2)
     * If the real part is constrained so that the angle
     * is guaranteed to lie for example between 0..pi,
     * the real part alone is sufficient to calculate the theta:
     * theta = 2.0 * acos(quat.real); */

cos_t = quat.real;
    sin_t = quat.vector.x / axis.x;

/* Otherwise using atan2 should work. */

theta = 2.0 * atan2(sin_t, cos_t);

/* Then build the 4x4 matrix using the axis and the theta.
     * Matrix rotation is bullshit that makes no sense */

cos_t = cos(theta);
    sin_t = sin(theta);

ax = axis.x * axis.x;
    ay = axis.y * axis.y;
    az = axis.z * axis.z;

axy = axis.x * axis.y;
    axz = axis.x * axis.z;
    ayz = axis.y * axis.z;

mtx[0] = cos_t + ax * (1 - cos_t);
    mtx[1] = axy * (1 - cos_t) - axis.z * sin_t;
    mtx[2] = axz * (1 - cos_t) + axis.y * sin_t;

mtx[4] = axy * (1 - cos_t) + axis.z * sin_t;
    mtx[5] = cos_t + ay * (1 - cos_t);
    mtx[6] = ayz * (1 - cos_t) - axis.x * sin_t;

mtx[8] = axz * (1 - cos_t) - axis.y * sin_t;
    mtx[9] = ayz * (1 - cos_t) + axis.x * sin_t;
    mtx[10] = cos_t + az * (1 - cos_t);

mtx[3] = 0;
    mtx[7] = 0;
    mtx[11] = 0;

mtx[12] = 0;
    mtx[13] = 0;
    mtx[14] = 0;

mtx[15] = 1;
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #678
    March 2011
    625 Posts
    Doesn't matter if it's a debug or release build, you're still gonna depend on the VC++ runtime.

Set "Runtime Library" to /MT on release and /MTd on debug.
    Keep in mind that all libraries you link to also need to do this, unless they're system libraries.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 4Useful Useful x 1 (list)

39. Post #679
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,976 Posts
    I haven't done much programming lately but I went back and improved my ray-casting function. Before I had a loop that incremented a point in the direction of the target until it was inside another tile to check each one. I've now replaced that loop with some line intersection checks. I do a check from where the current point is to the target against each side of the tile the point is currently in. If it intersects with any side then I set the point to that intersection point (and add a bit so it goes inside the next tile).

I also found a bug where ray-casts could go through corners (show below) so I fixed that. Pretty easy fix, I just made it so if the next tile checked is not at the same x and y as the previous then set the x to the same as the previous.

Here's the video i posted of it before:
    Just as suggestion, you could have it so the guard or person or whatever chases the player to the last known location after they lost sight. Not sure if you're going to go further with this, but thought I might as well say something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

40. Post #680
    Hates php
    May 2006
    2,415 Posts
    Well that was a really tough decision. Just started a few weeks ago fulltime(from a few months of parttime) at this company and already I am going to another company. Definitely need to come up with a way to break it to my current boss so that I don't burn bridges. I mean really it boiled down to 3 things which made the final decision easier. Not having to deal with working internationally (no benefits, taxes, etc), having an actual physical office, and a great opportunity to work with other skilled coders working on a fun project..

Anyways hopefully starting Monday. Assuming I can get 2 references by tonight. I got to say the hardest part before it has even started. Is finding 2 references that are available this afternoon(both my work references are sleeping) and finding my SSN card in storage(its that or get a passport).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)