1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    4,841 Posts
    July 2012 edition

No highlights because apparently nobody is bothered to make them and nobody dares to make a new thread otherwise.

So I'll make a thread.
    Because I can be hated.
    Because I'm not a programmer.
    I'm a silent observer, a watchful lurker.

A WAYWO knight.

Previous thread
    Version 27 (June 2012)
    Version 26 (May 2012)
    Version 25 (Apr 2012)
    Version 24 (Feb 2012)
    Version 23 (Jan 2012)
    Version 22 (Dec 2011)
    Version 21 (Nov 2011)
    Version 20
    Version 19
    Version 18
    Version 17
    Version 16
    Version 15
    Version 14
    Version 13
    Version 12
    Version 11
    Version 10
    Version 9
    Version 8
    Version 7
    Version 6
    Version 5
    Version 4
    Version 3
    Version 2
    Version 1

[SUP]sorry :([/SUP]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Funny x 36Artistic x 4Winner x 2Programming King x 1Friendly x 1Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member

October 2008
    3,838 Posts
    Commence obligatory complaining about OP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    Still working on my game. Recently finished programming gibs system and some special effects.
    Here's a shitty video:

Ignore the way he's holding the guns, I haven't worked on it yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 15Funny Funny x 4Programming King Programming King x 4 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,411 Posts
    I will happily grab some highlights, but to avoid conflicts can anyone please tell me if they're already doing it? I don't want to spend time trawling through the last thread only to find out someone's already posted a bunch of highlights. :P

(Also, this post is now reserved to be my highlights post if all goes to plan!)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #5
    PENISCORP DIRECTOR
    August 2007
    3,110 Posts
    I can edit your highlights in the OP if you decide to do so.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    what has happened to the programming forum: http://scobleizer.com/2009/11/02/the...-technosailor/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 4Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    1,352 Posts
    Still working on my game. Recently finished programming gibs system and some special effects.
    Here's a shitty video:

Ignore the way he's holding the guns, I haven't worked on it yet.
    keep the animations that way its hilarious
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    keep the animations that way its hilarious
    Speaking of dumb animations, gonna repost this from the last thread:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    PENISCORP DIRECTOR
    August 2007
    3,110 Posts
    I've been thinking - why don't we just start collecting highlights from the very beginning so we don't have to do it in the last minute once WAYWO has already been closed?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 15Late Late x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,691 Posts
    Obligatory first page post by Mr.T.

I'm going to build a boxfort!   

Edited:

also C is awesome
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,411 Posts
    I've been thinking - why don't we just start collecting highlights from the very beginning so we don't have to do it in the last minute once WAYWO has already been closed?
    This would be the clever thing to do...
    Who wants to be the official highlight-gatherer for this thread?

12. Post #12
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    This has happened to many other subforums than just this one. The entire forum over time has devolved.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,484 Posts
    This would be the clever thing to do...
    Who wants to be the official highlight-gatherer for this thread?
    I'll do it if no-one else really, really wants to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,794 Posts
    Stick the highlights for the current thread in the current OP? When the thread gets closed the OP has a list of complete highlights and then making a new thread is a matter of typing in a new title.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,484 Posts
    Stick the highlights for the current thread in the current OP? When the thread gets closed the OP has a list of complete highlights and then making a new thread is a matter of typing in a new title.
    Why? No-one checks the OP unless it's a new thread anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    BAZ
    Dav0r, buy me a custom title. I'm far too poor ;_;
    July 2005
    12,599 Posts
    I'm surprised no-ones written a script which gathers highlights based on ratings + quotes...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,484 Posts
    I'm surprised no-ones written a script which gathers highlights based on ratings + quotes...
    There are some, but the posts towards the beginning tend to get a lot more ratings. The highlights are much better when they're hand-picked. Not that they really matter, but a lot of good stuff gets overlooked just because of that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,794 Posts
    Why? No-one checks the OP unless it's a new thread anyway.
    I suppose so. Probably best to put them in a new thread:

Dynamic lighting! I know I need to make it so entities in shadow look darker. I will do that when I figure out a fast way to sample from the lighting texture. I was surprised how easy the maths for this was, the whole lighting engine is only about 200 lines of code. Also the high time on the DRAW_CALL is due to fraps locking the framerate to 60fps. This normally runs at 200FPS.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 8 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,745 Posts
    There are some, but the posts towards the beginning tend to get a lot more ratings. The highlights are much better when they're hand-picked. Not that they really matter, but a lot of good stuff gets overlooked just because of that.
    We could have one that chooses all posts over a certain amount of artistic, programming king or winner (just for example) and let people hand-pick from that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    May 2010
    5,375 Posts
    If there were some way of getting a timestamp on the rating you could give a timelimit.
    For example: have a script that selects highlights based on the ratings it got upto 5 hours after it was posted
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

21. Post #21
    Facepunch's Local Lycanthrope
    December 2008
    1,764 Posts
    why do you care about highlights anyway?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Jersey Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,745 Posts
    If there were some way of getting a timestamp on the rating you could give a timelimit.
    For example: have a script that selects highlights based on the ratings it got upto 5 hours after it was posted
    That won't work good with timezones.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

23. Post #23
    BAZ
    Dav0r, buy me a custom title. I'm far too poor ;_;
    July 2005
    12,599 Posts
    You can account for that, as post count increases ratings get more valuable. There's probably a big drop off in ratings count from around 5-10 pages.

You might miss some things, but if they're not being rated that well are they really worth highlighting?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    I think that someone (preferable OP or a mod who can add them directly to the OP) should just hand-pick highlights according to what he thinks is worth being there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    May 2010
    5,375 Posts
    That won't work good with timezones.
    You could use a different time amount, say 24 hours which would work fine.
    It would only upset the last few oposts of a WAYWO and then you could just check them manually
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

26. Post #26
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    We have this discussion practically every other thread version. In my opinion, either way works, so it doesn't really matter.

We already have a few people who have developed highlight scripts for WAYWO. The last one used here was the one I developed while working with Gran PC and Stoned on the Lua FPAPI.

This is how it goes:

1) You have automation and people complain highlights were missed

or

2) You have hand draft and people complain highlights were missed

Take your pick
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    April 2007
    1,146 Posts
    I dunno, they're pretty motivating. I don't really care that we missed out this time though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

28. Post #28
    May 2010
    5,375 Posts
    What is the best file format for 3d maps? ( I know BSP are pretty good but the wiki says:

One of the biggest problems with the .BSP file format is that large open areas do not work well due to the nature of the partitioning algorithm used.
    Not 100% sure what it means but im guessing that something like this wouldnt work too good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Grimpunch Games
    May 2005
    523 Posts
    We have this discussion practically every other thread version. In my opinion, either way works, so it doesn't really matter.

We already have a few people who have developed highlight scripts for WAYWO. The last one used here was the one I developed while working with Gran PC and Stoned on the Lua FPAPI.

This is how it goes:

1) You have automation and people complain highlights were missed

or

2) You have hand draft and people complain highlights were missed

Take your pick
    1 + 2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    246 Posts
    Chris220 (in last thread) posted:
    Torrunt posted:
    Just made a ray casting function for my game so I can use it to tell if an enemy can see you or not. I still think I can improve it some more (performance wise).
    That's pretty cool, mind giving me a quick overview of how the casting algorithm works? I'm interested in how it's done such that the points along the ray lie on the box boundaries.
    I just have a point that I increment in the direction of the target until it's inside a new tile and then check to see if that tile is empty or not. For debugging purposes I draw a dot where the point is when it enters a new tile as well as highlight each box that is checked.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

31. Post #31
    October 2009
    1,935 Posts
    Hah, will you look at that. A thread that's not about me, I think it's time to let this thread die, after all, it's no longer interesting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Egypt Show Events Funny Funny x 4Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    December 2009
    3,162 Posts
    I finished the textures chapter:

I'm using GL.ReadPixels now, instead of CamStudio, but that means I have to convert the frames into a video file manually.

I know that someone answered a question about writing video from .NET in the WDYNHW a while back but I can't remember the name of the library.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8Winner Winner x 3Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    This map is huge, I've downloaded 11000+ tiles and It's still not done

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Programming King Programming King x 5Artistic Artistic x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    ASK ME ABOUT MY PLAYBOOK INSTEAD OF COLLEGE
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    It almost looks like a fractal
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

35. Post #35
    November 2007
    599 Posts
    I dunno, they're pretty motivating. I don't really care that we missed out this time though.
    I think the only reason for highlights is so new people to the thread can see what we are working on without following the thread. Maybe just have a link to the thread images?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Everyone has a $1 title
    November 2008
    7,046 Posts
    This map is huge, I've downloaded 11000+ tiles and It's still not done

Looks like shattered glass/ice to me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

37. Post #37
    Paid for a title.
    June 2005
    6,175 Posts
    We need up to date proof that we are the best sub forum of facepunch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 20Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    153 Posts

Wooo player controller and collision are working
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

39. Post #39
    November 2007
    599 Posts
    We need up to date proof that we are the best sub forum of facepunch.
    That may be difficult.. Have you seen what the Minecraft sub forum is working on?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

40. Post #40
    BOSSMAN
    January 2009
    4,437 Posts
    I think the next programming competition needs to be a highlight gathering program so that we can get the best highlights.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9Useful Useful x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)