1. Post #1081
    October 2009
    281 Posts
    Link's Awakening, aw yeah.
    Yeah, it's a great tilesheet to test with!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

2. Post #1082
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    538 Posts
    Off topic, but does anyone know of a Firefox-compatible video player that plays webm files better than VLC? I always get random video freezes and shit, cant choose to pause/play the video either, really annoying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #1083
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    got ragdolls working in my 3rd person arena game :)

I'm aiming to make something with persistant corpses that you can climb on.
    You'd want to find a way to avoid performance drops with many ragdolls at the same time. Low sleep time and some kind of static batching would help you out.

Edited:

I've been working on a 2D tile map editor, using WinForms and OpenTK:

It loads tilesheets from image files so you don't need to worry about textures having to be in a certain format or something.
    It would be pretty useful if you then could export the map in XML format.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #1084
    Follow me on github!
    January 2009
    2,611 Posts
    This boredom is getting pretty extreme.
    On the bright side I start my Office Job tomorrow (Programming job :D)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2Useful Useful x 2Programming King Programming King x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #1085
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,118 Posts
    Can someone with Windows/VS2012 check if this works properly?
    It 'works' in Mono but visually glitches regularly and occasionally spazzes out, but I'm not sure if that's my fault, or just mono being shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #1086
    December 2009
    2,951 Posts
    Can someone with Windows/VS2012 check if this works properly?
    It 'works' in Mono but visually glitches regularly and occasionally spazzes out, but I'm not sure if that's my fault, or just mono being shit.
    Doesn't compile, EditForm.cs line 170-173: server.TimingData isn't a variable.

Edited:

Otherwise it works well, no UI glitches.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

7. Post #1087
    October 2009
    281 Posts
    You'd want to find a way to avoid performance drops with many ragdolls at the same time. Low sleep time and some kind of static batching would help you out.

Edited:

It would be pretty useful if you then could export the map in XML format.
    This is actually what I've been working on the past couple of hours. Exporting works fine, importing however..
    Original:

Result after importing:

Guess this isn't what it should be

Edited:
    Oh wow.. I'm retarded!
    Instead of loading the tile's location in the tilesheet and placing it at the tile's location on the map, I loaded the tile's location on the map and used it as the location on the tile sheet and used the tile's location on the tilesheet as its location on the map
    Me so stoepied!

Anyways, importing and exporting using the XML format works!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

8. Post #1088
    Slaaf van EternalFlamez.Ik wilde heel graag de laatste Indie Bundle, en ik kreeg deze kuttitel er gratis bij.
    March 2010
    4,044 Posts

More progress on my game, I made a map editor, so I can now make and load maps, and I made some prototype clouds. (Programmer art )

Also made a video, bad quality though.

9. Post #1089
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    Löve IRC channel posted:
    (Codex) So... I have plans in the making to make a RPG Hentai game using LOVE. You think I would get banned if I release it on the forums?
    I don't even know anymore
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 12Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #1090

August 2007
    14 Posts
    Chui means dick in russian.
    Or is the name a subtle trolling attempt?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Lithuania Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

11. Post #1091

August 2007
    191 Posts

Cross platform game framework, Designed for use with PC, Mac, (Various Consoles) and (Various Tablets, iOS and Android included)

Currently trying to pick a generic clear colour. Felt "Cornflower Blue" was a bit overdone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Programming King Programming King x 2Dumb Dumb x 2Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #1092
    September 2010
    2,323 Posts

More progress on my game, I made a map editor, so I can now make and load maps, and I made some prototype clouds. (Programmer art )

Also made a video, bad quality though.
    Can you tone down the wobbly effect?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #1093
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,031 Posts

Cross platform game framework, Designed for use with PC, Mac, (Various Consoles) and (Various Tablets, iOS and Android included)

Currently trying to pick a generic clear colour. Felt "Cornflower Blue" was a bit overdone.
    Yeah... Black is way too mainstream.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

14. Post #1094
    Slaaf van EternalFlamez.Ik wilde heel graag de laatste Indie Bundle, en ik kreeg deze kuttitel er gratis bij.
    March 2010
    4,044 Posts
    Wow what the fuck? I didn't even add that.

Edited:

Alright, youtube tried to "fix" my shaking screen by making it like that, should be fixed soon.

What should I work on in my game now? I'm not sure.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

15. Post #1095

August 2007
    191 Posts
    Yeah... Black is way too mainstream.
    If it's black it's easy to miss stuff that's black. It's customary to pick a coloured clear colour so you can see elements as it's unlikely that an element placed in your scene will be the exact colour of the background.

16. Post #1096
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,031 Posts
    If it's black it's easy to miss stuff that's black. It's customary to pick a coloured clear colour so you can see elements as it's unlikely that an element placed in your scene will be the exact colour of the background.
    Because exactly black is very common for elements?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events

17. Post #1097

August 2007
    191 Posts
    Because exactly black is very common for elements?
    erm... yeah?

areas with no light?
    black lines?
    text that's black?

One of the main motivations is easy identification of cracks in level geometry, You can't see a crack in a dark corner if the void around the level is also a dark colour. However glowing blue cracks catch your eye instantly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #1098
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,031 Posts
    erm... yeah?

areas with no light?
    black lines?
    text that's black?

One of the main motivations is easy identification of cracks in level geometry, You can't see a crack in a dark corner if the void around the level is also a dark colour. However glowing blue cracks catch your eye instantly.
    I would assume that if you're at that point in engine/map design you are capable of changing the background color. And if you were looking for cracks you would still probably swap that blue of yours for a lighter, white color.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events

19. Post #1099
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,118 Posts
    Doesn't compile, EditForm.cs line 170-173: server.TimingData isn't a variable.

Edited:

Otherwise it works well, no UI glitches.
    Uh...
    public TimerData TimingData { get; private set; }
    That works fine under Mono, what's the exact CS error code?

20. Post #1100
    January 2008
    328 Posts
    I published my SQLite database manager today!

http://kircode.com/kirsqlite/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Winner Winner x 8Programming King Programming King x 2 (list)

21. Post #1101
    February 2011
    1,263 Posts

Still under heavy wip.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Germany Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

22. Post #1102
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    I decided to write an OBJ parser by hand today instead of using C++ streams to do all the parsing.

Initially I used sscanf to read the floats and numbers for the faces, but this was very slow. I changed the code to do the parsing myself with some help from atof and atoi and it was suddenly 10 times faster.

But then I also rewrote atoi to suit my needs more (I needed to know exactly how many characters were read to form the number).

Success! What if atof is rewritten as well?

Welp! Note here that I didn't invent some genius new faster implementation of atof, but the I've eliminated the double find-the-end-of-the-number loop here, which is a very important optimization.

Still, we can do better than that. With some linear regression, the amount of faces/vertices/normals/texcoords can be predicted and memory can be reserved.

Not bad! As a final test, let's compare a reasonably complex model (1.3M polys) to the 3DS Max importer.

Code:
    3DS Max: ~1,5 sec (measured with stopwatch)
    My importer: 1,14 sec
    I think I successfully wrote one of the fastest OBJ parsers ever made.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 18Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #1103
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,064 Posts
    Shit, Facepunchers just keep making fast stuff.

Wop.

(On the other hand, how much is a few seconds going to matter in the long run? Guess it depends on how many models you're loading.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Finland Show Events

24. Post #1104
    February 2008
    551 Posts
    Not trying to be a cunt but I don't understand why people still want to use the obj format. Even if it weren't unsuitable for straight loading to the gpu thanks to multiple indices, it's still a dreadful format. It's like loading non block compressed textures from tga/png/etc files when you don't need uncompressed data, and generating mipmaps on the gpu every time. Say goodbye to your load times and vram. No games do this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

25. Post #1105
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,118 Posts
    Did you use the threadpool parallel chunk decoding method we talked about ages ago?

Edited:

Not trying to be a cunt but I don't understand why people still want to use the obj format. Even if it weren't unsuitable for straight loading to the gpu thanks to multiple indices, it's still a dreadful format. It's like loading non block compressed textures from tga/png/etc files when you don't need uncompressed data, and generating mipmaps on the gpu every time. Say goodbye to your load times and vram. No games do this.
    It's convenient for getting up and going with for small projects, since every exporter supports it.

26. Post #1106
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,504 Posts
    With experience comes the ability to recognize when you need performance and when you don't. Yes, OBJ isn't a very good format. But it's easy to read, compatible with almost every 3d modeling program, and non-proprietary.

If you're an indie developer, you're probably not gonna have 10000+ vertex models. For simple models, the difference in performance between OBJ and a binary format is negligible; imperceptible. The simplicity and ease of use that comes with OBJ is worth the price of a couple megabytes of VRAM and a couple milliseconds in load-time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #1107
    November 2007
    506 Posts
    If you saw this, would you think of grass or a shitty green mess?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

28. Post #1108
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,504 Posts

I would think "anti-aliasing, please!"

29. Post #1109
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,064 Posts
    With experience comes the ability to recognize when you need performance and when you don't. Yes, OBJ isn't a very good format. But it's easy to read, compatible with almost every 3d modeling program, and non-proprietary.

If you're an indie developer, you're probably not gonna have 10000+ vertex models. For simple models, the difference in performance between OBJ and a binary format is negligible; imperceptible. The simplicity and ease of use that comes with OBJ is worth the price of a couple megabytes of VRAM and a couple milliseconds in load-time.
    Or alternatively, maybe you need an OBJ parser to be fast because you're exporting your models as OBJs and then converting them to your own format?

30. Post #1110
    February 2008
    551 Posts
    It's not really an issue of optimization but just doing it in a sensible way. obj is too simple, even a basic 3d game requires more mesh data than it can give, and you'll end up creating your own format anyway.

31. Post #1111
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,504 Posts
    Or alternatively, maybe you need an OBJ parser to be fast because you're exporting your models as OBJs and then converting them to your own format?
    If you're converting them, it definitely doesn't need to be fast. You only need to convert once. Even if your converter takes a minute per vertex, it won't effect the performance of whatever game the model will be used for. Keep in mind that even the most naive implementation of an OBJ parser can read 100000+ vertices in under a second.

32. Post #1112
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts

The second, I'm afraid. It looks really weird all over the place.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

33. Post #1113
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,064 Posts
    If you're converting them, it definitely doesn't need to be fast. You only need to convert once. Even if your converter takes a minute per vertex, it won't effect the performance of whatever game the model will be used for. Keep in mind that even the most naive implementation of an OBJ parser can read 100000+ vertices in under a second.
    I was thinking more doing batch runs on several objects, every time a bunch gets modified you don't want to wait for long.

(It turns into a development speed issue instead of runtime speed)

34. Post #1114
    February 2008
    551 Posts
    You still would not want to use such a simple format as obj as an intermediate format to your own binary one.

35. Post #1115
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,064 Posts
    You still would not want to use such a simple format as obj as an intermediate format to your own binary one.
    THAT makes no sense.

If the question is between writing your own exporter (potentially difficult, only allows for one 3D editor) or exporting to OBJ and converting (ANY 3D editing application, only knowledge about the OBJ format required) I'd rather write a converter (first).

Edited:

Well I guess if your 3D modeling suite exports some fancy extra data, then you migth want to use a different format, but if you just need the models it's gonna be fine.

36. Post #1116

August 2007
    191 Posts

It'll look fine if you put a bit of ambient light in there. Currently everything is black and that kinda makes the lights look weird.

37. Post #1117
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    Did you use the threadpool parallel chunk decoding method we talked about ages ago?
    Nope, right now it's single-threaded.

38. Post #1118
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,118 Posts
    Nope, right now it's single-threaded.
    Wow, that's a hell of a speed boost then. How well does it handle Hairball?

Edited:

Actually if we're going for vertex count, Power Plant would be a far harder test.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

39. Post #1119
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    4,914 Posts
    I made a chatbox for my online something game

My vcon class is proving quite
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #1120
    March 2010
    4,044 Posts

Added a NPC, he follows you, and jumps onto obstacles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5 (list)