1. Post #681
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,945 Posts
    Working on decoding the riven sound format. It's actually a load of custom headers followed by the IMA ADPCM format, and it's decoding the ADPCM part which I'm having troubles with. I've nearly got it.

Here's the sound file as extracted by Riveal: http://www.sendspace.com/file/2b7afl
    Here's my decoded version: http://www.sendspace.com/file/7gpbjg

You can still hear the correct sound pattern in my version but it's considerably more noisy. I don't suppose anyone here has a working IMA ADPCM decoder I can look at? Preferably in C/C++/C#.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

2. Post #682
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    151 Posts

Perlin Noise?

Thats better

Perfect
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 15Winner Winner x 6Funny Funny x 4 (list)

3. Post #683
    This title has been removed due to a copyright claim from Viacom Inc.
    July 2008
    3,478 Posts
    Uploading my package manager to github, and now I have to decide on a license.
    Since people probably aren't going to need to redistribute it without source code, I could probably go ahead and use GPL. I don't really like GPL though, so I'm going to go to TLDRLegal and see what else there is.

Edited:

MIT Looks good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #684
    May 2010
    5,368 Posts
    Since people probably aren't going to need to redistribute it without source code, I could probably go ahead and use GPL. I don't really like GPL though, so I'm going to go to TLDRLegal and see what else there is.

Edited:

MIT Looks good.
    I seem to be using new/modified BSD license for all my OS projects
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #685

Edited:

MIT Looks good.
    www.tldrlegal.com

Edited:

Clocks, come at me!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Late Late x 4 (list)

6. Post #686
    January 2008
    328 Posts
    ice
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 11Late Late x 1 (list)

7. Post #687
    This title has been removed due to a copyright claim from Viacom Inc.
    July 2008
    3,478 Posts
    Here it is if anyone wants to poke at the code.

Edited:

https://github.com/neos300/shark
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #688
    March 2011
    625 Posts
    Changed the name of SteamKit++ to OpenSteamClient, also added friends list support & stuff:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 11Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

9. Post #689
    Crescent fresh
    January 2011
    966 Posts
    Anyone know who in FP was who was working on that android 3d wallpaper?
    Finally managed to get a Galaxy S II and would be neat to have it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

10. Post #690
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,945 Posts
    Finally got sound decoding to work! The riven sound files are either in IMA ADPCM format, or MP2 format. Both formats are now decoded into a SoundEffect object (XNA) and sound just like the original assets! I had to use BASS to convert MP2 into PCM, but I don't think it's a problem.

I'd post screenshots but yea..

Edited:

Next up, reading the movie files - they're quicktime .movs. I'm going to try using the .net Media Foundation stuff first, then just google helplessly for a .mov reader in .net.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

11. Post #691
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    4,914 Posts
    I made some slightly like a package manager for my shell. It basically just copies files from a directory or something. Making it able to download packages would be cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

12. Post #692
    Person
    June 2008
    5,561 Posts
    That'd be Robber.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...QuZGVlcGFuZCJd
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

13. Post #693
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,781 Posts
    Hey, we're going to release the first alpha version of A Knight and his Castle soon, and it would be great if you guys could test it and point out any problems you may find. Ignore the unfinished textures.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/679615/Knig...WebPlayer.html

Standard FPS controls, shift to sprint. Escape, P or Enter to open the pause menu.

Press C to open the cheat box.
    Cheats:
    "skipawave" - skips a wave
    "rosebud;!;!" - gives you money
    "removethefun" - makes the wall invincible
    "readdthefun" - makes the wall vulnerable again
    "theroyalblade" - gives you a knight sword
    "curved. swords." - gives you a scimitar
    "likeaninja" - gives you a katana
    "snipinsagoodjobmayte" - gives you a bow
    “andmyaxe” gives you an axe
    “windu” gives you a mace
    “bodysprayformen” gives you throwing axes
    “putaneyeout” gives you powder kegs
    “bowofcross” gives you a crossbow
    “30secondman” gives you a musket
    "chillout" enables fridge mode
    "defrost" disables fridge mode
    "dummkopf" gives you full health
    "nvm" - hides the cheat box and re-locks your mouse, in case you're not in
    the mood to cheat.
    You can press B to spawn a ballista and F to place it. The ballista is still very WIP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

14. Post #694
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    i made an animated pipboy wallpaper if thats what you're talking about

Edited:

oop nvm

but wow that's a really sweet effect
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

15. Post #695
    Hi.
    July 2011
    4,259 Posts
    Just a tile based map editor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

16. Post #696
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,647 Posts
    Changed the name of SteamKit++ to OpenSteamClient, also added friends list support & stuff:

I'm highly interested in this, keep up the good work!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

17. Post #697
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,036 Posts
    oop nvm

but wow that's a really sweet effect
    Thanks, but sadly it only looks half as good when you have two eyes instead of one eye/lense
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #698
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts
    After I figure out how to get the camera to follow the path at a constant speed, I'll get working on rotating the camera smoothly.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 6 (list)

19. Post #699
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,031 Posts
    Hey guys, there's this site [maybe it's better I don't give the link] where you can register and do something.... never mind what. Well, they don't really sanitize their inputs so, at the moment, there are a few people that have altered the size of their username or similar. Some guy even made a popup on mouseover that says "Stop using skype people, it's incredibly insecure".

I was wondering how exactly that's done.
    The point is that you terminate the tag within your username and then put in some other code, right?
    Or am I completely missing it?

I have no intention of messing with the site, I was just curious.

Oh, and why is skype insecure?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events

20. Post #700
    I made WAYWO a better place
    September 2011
    1,311 Posts
    it happens when they forget to change / to
    Code:
    /
    during database input or printing, so you can close the tag for your username open a script tag and then input some simple javascript alerts

21. Post #701
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,739 Posts
    I am halway there to fully working font rendering! Got it to make the size of each rendered char to what is actually in the file (white pixels)!

Edited:

Ignore the minecraft button in the right top corner, it's a test of my hud system
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Programming King Programming King x 7Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #702
    March 2010
    903 Posts
    I am halway there to fully working font rendering! Got it to make the size of each rendered char to what is actually in the file (white pixels)!

Edited:

Ignore the minecraft button in the right top corner, it's a test of my hud system
    Nice nice!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

23. Post #703
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,408 Posts
    Working on a program to automatically download wallpapers from wallbase.cc.

I currently have a simple HTTP client that requests wallpaper listings from their server. They're using AJAX to automatically populate the page with more wallpapers as the user scrolls down, so I replicated those requests so that I get wallpaper info in JSON format instead of having to scrape HTML. I got a bit sidetracked for half a day and wrote a JSON parser as well.

Line count nearing 1200 already - in C, winsock being the only external dependency. I figure I could replicate this in Python in fewer than a hundred lines.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Programming King Programming King x 2Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #704
    May 2010
    5,368 Posts
    I got file hot-loading working, and therefore file modification time access.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

25. Post #705

August 2007
    548 Posts
    I got file hot-loading working, and therefore file modification time access.
    I did something like this once. It is simple at first, but as the programs get more complex it can get tricky.

26. Post #706
    May 2010
    5,368 Posts
    I did something like this once. It is simple at first, but as the programs get more complex it can get tricky.
    How do you mean? I just call getModification(std::string file) which returns a timestamp as a string, if this isnt the same as when the program first started I reload the file
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

27. Post #707

August 2007
    548 Posts
    How do you mean? I just call getModification(std::string file) which returns a timestamp as a string, if this isnt the same as when the program first started I reload the file
    Ok so imagine your making a game, and you start it up and play for a while. You find a bug on level 3 so you pop into your editor and fix it. The main idea of hot-loading is that you could save that fix and return to the game without having to restart. If you are just reloading the entire file if it was modified it might not work the way you want it to. Especially if you are using oop lua. For example if there was a bug in the method ball.bounce(), you would have to reload not just the file but also every instance of the ball class (table). In lua functions are first class variables, so if you hot load a new function you have to make sure that all the copies of that function are also updated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #708
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    415 Posts
    After I figure out how to get the camera to follow the path at a constant speed, I'll get working on rotating the camera smoothly.

I was looking into using bezier curves to render road lately. You could project two bezier curves on the terrain to create a triangle strip VBO using a shape like this

Then you can use the strip to render roads that can be modified at runtime. This is the best approach since it support alpha blending and normal mapping, unlike other implementations I've seen before.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

29. Post #709
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts

My productivity suffers from this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Informative Informative x 9Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #710
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,975 Posts
    A hole in the space-time continuum?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

31. Post #711
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    A hole in the space-time continuum?
    Nah, just one of those 3d-goggles you get for 3d-movies. I put one glass right in front of the camera, and I'm holding the other one.

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 8Informative Informative x 3Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #712
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    That's a way cool, trippy effect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

33. Post #713
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    That's a way cool, trippy effect.
    Before you ask, it's using shade(r)s.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 25Useful Useful x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

34. Post #714
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,408 Posts
    Here's a cool trick I accidentally stumbled upon while browsing MSDN library. No more taskbar.

HWND htaskbar = 0;
    HWND horb = 0;

APPBARDATA taskbar_data;

/* FindWindow sometimes returns null handles,
     * in such cases just try again. */

while (!(htaskbar = FindWindow("Shell_TrayWnd", 0)));
    /* Probably Win7 specific */
    while (!(horb = FindWindowEx(GetDesktopWindow(), 0, "Button", "Start")));

/* Turn on autohiding for the taskbar. This
     * prevents it from hogging empty space on
     * your desktop. */

ZeroMemory(&taskbar_data, sizeof(taskbar_data));
    taskbar_data.cbSize = sizeof(taskbar_data);
    taskbar_data.hWnd = htaskbar;
    taskbar_data.lParam = ABS_AUTOHIDE;

SHAppBarMessage(ABM_SETSTATE, &taskbar_data);

/* Disappear. */

ShowWindow(htaskbar, SW_HIDE);
    ShowWindow(horb, SW_HIDE);
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

35. Post #715
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,975 Posts
    Nah, just one of those 3d-goggles you get for 3d-movies. I put one glass right in front of the camera, and I'm holding the other one.

Edited:

I think Facepunch and the internet would be a bit more of a distraction than that. I tend to not do anything for hours at a time. I get distracted very easily.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

36. Post #716
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    Here's a cool trick I accidentally stumbled upon while browsing MSDN library. No more taskbar.

HWND htaskbar = 0;
    HWND horb = 0;

APPBARDATA taskbar_data;

/* FindWindow sometimes returns null handles,
     * in such cases just try again. */

while (!(htaskbar = FindWindow("Shell_TrayWnd", 0)));
    /* Probably Win7 specific */
    while (!(horb = FindWindowEx(GetDesktopWindow(), 0, "Button", "Start")));

/* Turn on autohiding for the taskbar. This
     * prevents it from hogging empty space on
     * your desktop. */

ZeroMemory(&taskbar_data, sizeof(taskbar_data));
    taskbar_data.cbSize = sizeof(taskbar_data);
    taskbar_data.hWnd = htaskbar;
    taskbar_data.lParam = ABS_AUTOHIDE;

SHAppBarMessage(ABM_SETSTATE, &taskbar_data);

/* Disappear. */

ShowWindow(htaskbar, SW_HIDE);
    ShowWindow(horb, SW_HIDE);
    That's pretty neat, but I find it weird that FindWindow/FindWindowEx sometimes return invalid handles.

37. Post #717
    August 2009
    960 Posts
    Not really a "What are you working on?", more a "What would your recommend?". Has anyone had experience with 3D engines on Android, preferably OpenGL ES 2.0 and C++?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

38. Post #718
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    Not really a "What are you working on?", more a "What would your recommend?". Has anyone had experience with 3D engines on Android, preferably OpenGL ES 2.0 and C++?
    I've done 3D in EGL 2.0 on Android, but not in C++. Am I right in saying you hit a dead end with the lack of documentation?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

39. Post #719
    August 2009
    960 Posts
    I've done 3D in EGL 2.0 on Android, but not in C++. Am I right in saying you hit a dead end with the lack of documentation?
    Oh no, OpenGL ES isn't as widely featured, but there is still enough information. I just wondered if there was any prebuilt engine out there, I'm not opposed to building my own, but I don't really like creating work for myself :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

40. Post #720

February 2009
    36 Posts
    I've finally done something I'm vaguely proud of, a right click menu on the cursor:

But ruined it by doing this:

Because goto.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)