1. Post #1041
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,028 Posts
    And extracting individual trits from that in C# is going to be as hard, if not harder than using a solution like Richy19's.
    edit: Nevermind, I found out that C# has utilities built-in for that purpose.

Edited:

Let's say you pick three letters (in this case A, B and C). You are asked to provide all different strings that are X letters long and don't contain any other letters than these ones.
    What now? Extracting individual digits in any base is as simple as decimal in any language supporting basic math functions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events

2. Post #1042
    June 2010
    484 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 16Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

3. Post #1043
    April 2012
    96 Posts
    How did you do that? I mean, how do you keep the pose when it ragdolls?
    I used the ragdoll wizard on the player's model, so the rigidbody components are in the same model. Turning them non-kinematic and disabling animations should make it behave like a ragdoll. Then I just apply the character controller's velocity to the ragdoll.

This reminds me of all those Skate 3 videos that crop up in LMAO Pics. What are you going to do with it?
    I dont know yet. I have some really weird ideas for games but right now im just doing game mechanics.

Random game mechanics: The Game
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

4. Post #1044
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    huehuehue
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Dumb x 3Artistic x 2Funny x 1Zing x 1Informative x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #1045
    Person
    June 2008
    5,561 Posts
    Synthiac?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #1046
    June 2012
    549 Posts
    Code:
    import Data.Char
    import Data.Function

caps [] = [[]]
    caps (x:xs) = on (++) (flip map $ caps xs) (toLower x :) (toUpper x :)

main = print $ caps "waywo"
    Oh haskell, you so elegant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #1047
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    4,912 Posts
    I can barely understand how that works
    I need to learn haskell
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

8. Post #1048
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,777 Posts
    Okay, so I posted this a while ago but I didn't get any feedback at all. (At all)
    Could you guys try it out? I'm getting kind of tired of this project since nobody actually answers or cares about it

Seriously, just telling me about a single bug would be wonderful

Hey, we're going to release the first alpha version of A Knight and his Castle soon, and it would be great if you guys could test it and point out any problems you may find. Ignore the unfinished textures.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/679615/Knig...WebPlayer.html

Standard FPS controls, shift to sprint. Escape, P or Enter to open the pause menu.

Press C to open the cheat box.
    Cheats:
    "skipawave" - skips a wave
    "rosebud;!;!" - gives you money
    "removethefun" - makes the wall invincible
    "readdthefun" - makes the wall vulnerable again
    "theroyalblade" - gives you a knight sword
    "curved. swords." - gives you a scimitar
    "likeaninja" - gives you a katana
    "snipinsagoodjobmayte" - gives you a bow
    “andmyaxe” gives you an axe
    “windu” gives you a mace
    “bodysprayformen” gives you throwing axes
    “putaneyeout” gives you powder kegs
    “bowofcross” gives you a crossbow
    “30secondman” gives you a musket
    "chillout" enables fridge mode
    "defrost" disables fridge mode
    "dummkopf" gives you full health
    "nvm" - hides the cheat box and re-locks your mouse, in case you're not in
    the mood to cheat.
    You can press B to spawn a ballista and F to place it. The ballista is still very WIP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

9. Post #1049
    October 2009
    279 Posts
    Okay, so I posted this a while ago but I didn't get any feedback at all. (At all)
    Could you guys try it out? I'm getting kind of tired of this project since nobody actually answers or cares about it

Just found something. If you ready your bow and bring up the pause menu the arrow will fall to the ground, but the enemy you're aiming at will still die even though the arrow doesn't reach him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #1050
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,777 Posts
    Just found something. If you ready your bow and bring up the pause menu the arrow will fall to the ground, but the enemy you're aiming at will still die even though the arrow doesn't reach him.
    Whoa, that doesn't make any sense at all since it checks for collision on the actual arrow object

Okay, I checked it and I see what the problem is now. The arrow still reaches the enemy because it spawns when you release the mouse button while paused but the problem is that when you press Resume it shoots another arrow with zero force. So what it does is spawn two arrows. One is the intended arrow and one is the one that just falls to the ground right in front of you. I'll have to make it impossible to shoot arrows when the start menu is up.

Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #1051
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,028 Posts

It's very hard and the money comes in too slow if you ask me. I don't feel the difference between the sword and scimitar though the scimitar is a bit slower.

The game is very fun and I think it might be great for multiplayer but the main problem is that it sometimes stutters when enemies spawn making it very frustrating.
    That might just be my PC though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #1052
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,777 Posts
    It's very hard and the money comes in too slow if you ask me. I don't feel the difference between the sword and scimitar though the scimitar is a bit slower.

The game is very fun and I think it might be great for multiplayer but the main problem is that it sometimes stutters when enemies spawn making it very frustrating.
    That might just be my PC though.
    The scimitar is slower and does 100 damage while the longsword does 50. I'll try to make the difference clearer somehow. The money problem is actually something we've been thinking about! We're going to have the enemies drop money when they die instead of the player getting a set amount after each round. As the enemies get stonger they'll drop more money too, so the player will get more money per round later on which should make it easier to balance out more expensive things like archers and such

Thanks, it's really nice to actually get some feedback
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

13. Post #1053
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,028 Posts
    The scimitar is slower and does 100 damage while the longsword does 50. I'll try to make the difference clearer somehow. The money problem is actually something we've been thinking about! We're going to have the enemies drop money when they die instead of the player getting a set amount after each round. As the enemies get stonger they'll drop more money too, so the player will get more money per round later on which should make it easier to balance out more expensive things like archers and such

Thanks, it's really nice to actually get some feedback
    How can that be?
    Both sword and scim take 2 hits on tier 2 guys.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #1054
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,985 Posts
    I thought this was cool enough to warrent a new post:

[URL]

I improved the remote desktop the point where you can actually surf in CSS with it, heh. That's good response time and framerate for you. Input options are also pretty versatile.

Cameo of resident FPP members Austech and Toaster468 in that video.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 25Programming King Programming King x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #1055
    Slaaf van EternalFlamez.Ik wilde heel graag de laatste Indie Bundle, en ik kreeg deze kuttitel er gratis bij.
    March 2010
    4,043 Posts
    Working on somekind of game/tile system.

Boomer678 helped me out a lot with this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #1056
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,777 Posts
    How can that be?
    Both sword and scim take 2 hits on tier 2 guys.
    Actually they get stronger every wave. In the second wave that has mongolians they have 125 health instead of 100, and another 25 gets added each wave. So on the first mongolian wave the mongolian takes two regular sword hits and one scimitar hit (But you can't get the scimitar yet then). In the second one when you can afford the scimitar the mongolians take three regular sword hits and two scimitar hits. Try switching to the other weapon slot (With Q) to try it out.

I might make the mongolians start out with 75 health instead so that they take two longsword hits at first but still just one scimitar hit during the first wave in which you can afford it, just to make it clearer to the player that they level up and how much stronger the scimitar is than the longsword.

Edit:
    There, I tweaked the health stuff to make it clearer that they upgrade. Now the mongolian starts out with 75 health points which means he'll still take two longsword hits during the first wave of mongolians, and during teh second wave he'll have 100 health which means he still takes two longsword hits but a single scimitar hit (That's the first round that the player will be able to afford the scimitar in, so it'll make everything much clearer to the player. Especially since they take three hits during the next round, so it'll be obvious to the player that they're getting strongar after each wave).

Thanks again for the input, I think it really helped the design of the game

17. Post #1057
    July 2012
    10 Posts
    Synthiac?
    lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #1058
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    I thought this was cool enough to warrent a new post:

[URL]

I improved the remote desktop the point where you can actually surf in CSS with it, heh. That's good response time and framerate for you. Input options are also pretty versatile.

Cameo of resident FPP members Austech and Toaster468 in that video.
    Homebrew on the PS Vita already?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events

19. Post #1059
    July 2012
    10 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #1060
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,028 Posts
    Actually they get stronger every wave. In the second wave that has mongolians they have 125 health instead of 100, and another 25 gets added each wave. So on the first mongolian wave the mongolian takes two regular sword hits and one scimitar hit (But you can't get the scimitar yet then). In the second one when you can afford the scimitar the mongolians take three regular sword hits and two scimitar hits. Try switching to the other weapon slot (With Q) to try it out.

I might make the mongolians start out with 75 health instead so that they take two longsword hits at first but still just one scimitar hit during the first wave in which you can afford it, just to make it clearer to the player that they level up and how much stronger the scimitar is than the longsword.

Edit:
    There, I tweaked the health stuff to make it clearer that they upgrade. Now the mongolian starts out with 75 health points which means he'll still take two longsword hits during the first wave of mongolians, and during teh second wave he'll have 100 health which means he still takes two longsword hits but a single scimitar hit (That's the first round that the player will be able to afford the scimitar in, so it'll make everything much clearer to the player. Especially since they take three hits during the next round, so it'll be obvious to the player that they're getting strongar after each wave).

Thanks again for the input, I think it really helped the design of the game
    You really should avoid situations where you have to get an upgrade just so you can keep performing the same. An upgrade should feel like became stronger but you need to compensate with other elements so the game doesn't get easy (introduce new, rarer enemies and make the old ones show up in larger numbers so the player feels good about mowing through the crowd of guys they had trouble with before)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

21. Post #1061
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,777 Posts
    Hmm, the thing is that the upgrading enemies has been an important part of the game ever since the first build. I know the Serious Sam games did what you have in mind really well, but one of the points of the game is to have infinite waves that always get more difficult.

The englishmen are the one enemy that never gets stronger, though. They always take a single hit. I'll try adding more enemies that don't upgrade. One idea would be to have the mongolians be the only enemy that keeps getting stronger, and keep adding new, more difficult enemies while keeping the weaker ones there.

22. Post #1062
    January 2012
    128 Posts

I can build staircases with the crossbows arrows (yet to test with bow and arrow) I'm guessing this isn't intentional. Basically you put in the first arrow, jump onto it, then make a second one and jump onto that etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #1063
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,777 Posts
    I can build staircases with the crossbows arrows (yet to test with bow and arrow) I'm guessing this isn't intentional. Basically you put in the first arrow, jump onto it, then make a second one and jump onto that etc.
    I kind of like to keep stuff like that in because it doesn't affect the gameplay and it's a lot of fun. Try stacking powder kegs and jumping on top of them before they explode! You'll fly all over the place
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Sweden Show Events

24. Post #1064
    January 2012
    128 Posts
    I kind of like to keep stuff like that in because it doesn't affect the gameplay and it's a lot of fun. Try stacking powder kegs and jumping on top of them before they explode! You'll fly all over the place
    Fair enough! Another thing, if you have the crossbow and a musket, simply switching between the two means you don't have to wait for reload on either of them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #1065
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,777 Posts
    Fair enough! Another thing, if you have the crossbow and a musket, simply switching between the two means you don't have to wait for reload on either of them.
    Yeah, I'll add a limit to the weapon switching. Like, after you change weapons you have to wait a second or so before you change weapons again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #1066
    Slaaf van EternalFlamez.Ik wilde heel graag de laatste Indie Bundle, en ik kreeg deze kuttitel er gratis bij.
    March 2010
    4,043 Posts
    Working on a map editor for my new platformer.

No, it doesn't look like a platformer yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #1067
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    I can barely understand how that works
    I need to learn haskell
    It started off really clear, but then I munged it up with help from Hoogle
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events

28. Post #1068
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,333 Posts
    Yeah, I'll add a limit to the weapon switching. Like, after you change weapons you have to wait a second or so before you change weapons again
    That sounds like it could get frustrating if you accidentally pull out the wrong weapon. Instead, what about making it so if you switch away from a weapon that is reloading, the reload cancels and no ammunition is placed in the weapon?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #1069
    January 2010
    5,900 Posts
    Slowly realizing I somehow need to make each char take up the same amount of space despite which char is actually there... and that I am good at spelling.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

30. Post #1070
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,985 Posts
    Slowly realizing I somehow need to make each char take up the same amount of space despite which char is actually there... and that I am good at spelling.

Either pick a monospaced font or draw the world as if it were tiles instead of strips of text.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #1071
    January 2010
    5,900 Posts
    Either pick a monospaced font or draw the world as if it were tiles instead of strips of text.
    Thanks! I had never even heard of the term monospaced until now.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

32. Post #1072
    Person
    June 2008
    5,561 Posts
    Thanks! I had never even heard of the term monospaced until now.

Why are you emulating the console in XNA?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17Funny Funny x 2 (list)

33. Post #1073
    January 2010
    5,900 Posts
    Why are you emulating the console in XNA?
    because rogulike
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Winner Winner x 2 (list)

34. Post #1074
    July 2009
    6,988 Posts
    Source to my GUI library
    Still doesn't have clipping(probably due to me being dumb) and the code is still a mess(I plan to repo it soon), complete with a license n stuff.
    Example usage:
    Code:
    package somepotato.chui.demos;
    import org.newdawn.slick.AppGameContainer;
    import org.newdawn.slick.BasicGame;
    import org.newdawn.slick.GameContainer;
    import org.newdawn.slick.Graphics;
    import org.newdawn.slick.SlickException;
    import chui.core.GUIManager;
    import chui.gui.GFrame;
    public class FrameTest extends BasicGame {
        GUIManager mgr;
        public FrameTest(String title) {

super(title);
        }
        @Override
        public void render(GameContainer container, Graphics g)
                throws SlickException {
            mgr.draw(g);
        }
        @Override
        public void init(GameContainer container) throws SlickException {
            // TODO Auto-generated method stub
            mgr=new GUIManager(container);
            mgr.setDebugMode(true);
            GFrame frame=new GFrame("Hello!");
        }
        @Override
        public void update(GameContainer container, int delta)
                throws SlickException {
            mgr.update();
        }
        public static void main(String[] args) throws SlickException {
            new AppGameContainer(new FrameTest("Aids"),800,600,false).start();
        }
    }
    I recommend not using GHTML, it loads slowly and is poorly implemented. I'll be gone for a week so do feel free to PM me some improvement suggestions. /walloftext

Edited:

Oh yeah, nearly nothing is commented yet. I was going to do that when I fixed clipping--which I never have.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

35. Post #1075
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,777 Posts
    That sounds like it could get frustrating if you accidentally pull out the wrong weapon. Instead, what about making it so if you switch away from a weapon that is reloading, the reload cancels and no ammunition is placed in the weapon?
    I don't know how I would do that since there's no reload system, just an animation and a delay. And when you switch weapons the old weapon just destroys and the new one is created, so I don't know how I would detect something like that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Sweden Show Events

36. Post #1076
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,015 Posts
    ... A Knight and his Castle ...
    Very well made game.

Fun to play; nice on the eyes; easy to control; intuitive from the very beginning.
    Oh, and the music is epic. I left the game open in the background for hours on end.

There are a few places where you could improve. For example, numbers do not convey information quickly enough to the player. A "Health Bar" system would be better.
    Though, the way you play this game is so... "nice" (you can run from enemies at any time), that you're given plenty of time to read the info without being affected too much.

Very awesome.

That arrow bug is... interesting, especially if you have a rapid-click button.
    Have a video:

I don't know how I would do that since there's no reload system, just an animation and a delay. And when you switch weapons the old weapon just destroys and the new one is created, so I don't know how I would detect something like that
    Don't destroy the other weapon's state. You can do this by keeping the object alive, or holding its basic state in the player object instead.

Source does it by keeping the weapon object alive and just not rendering or simulating it each frame/tick.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 22Winner Winner x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

37. Post #1077
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,777 Posts

A whole bunch of niceness and then a cool video

Don't destroy the other weapon's state. You can do this by keeping the object alive, or holding its basic state in the player object instead.

Source does it by keeping the weapon object alive and just not rendering or simulating it each frame/tick.
    Alright, thanks! I'll try just disabling the object instead of destroying it. I have to say, working on the game is much more fun now that I'm actually getting some feedback

Edit:
    Okay, it's fixed now! The way I did it is pretty hacky but it works fine
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

38. Post #1078
    Mon
    April 2011
    4,102 Posts
    looks like a roadmap of vancouver or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

39. Post #1079
    October 2009
    279 Posts
    I've been working on a 2D tile map editor, using WinForms and OpenTK:

It loads tilesheets from image files so you don't need to worry about textures having to be in a certain format or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

40. Post #1080
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,475 Posts
    I've been working on a 2D tile map editor, using WinForms and OpenTK:

It loads tilesheets from image files so you don't need to worry about textures having to be in a certain format or something.
    Link's Awakening, aw yeah.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)