1. Post #81
    November 2010
    532 Posts
    Still working on my game. Recently finished programming gibs system and some special effects.
    Here's a shitty video:

-video-

Ignore the way he's holding the guns, I haven't worked on it yet.
    Those gibs look a lot like the ones from Blood 2:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

2. Post #82
    April 2011
    1,130 Posts
    This thread needs more flying Santas pulverizing beheaded freaks with a railgun in bullet time...

For those with slow connections here is a preview :

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 12Funny Funny x 3 (list)

3. Post #83
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,406 Posts
    This reminds me of some un-manned rocket that ended up being destroyed (for safety reasons) after the guidance system sent it off course because it was trying to convert a 64 bit number into a 16 bit one

When it says last June, I think it was June of 1995
    http://www.around.com/ariane.html
    Jesus. This is as bad (if not worse) than the F-22 fighter jet bug where the entire guidance system shuts down when it cross a timezone. (Just a note, but I'm about to go off-topic, so you can skip this unless you want to read about why the F-22 is just awful)

(Luckily, they decided to not have every process running all at the same time). They already have a single death caused by the oxygen system (but the USAF still blames the pilot, which is just awful). Tons of pilots are scared shitless by the plane, but keep getting pressured into using it (I'm sure it's with the phrase "that's a goddamn order" )

The F-22 is actually an engineering failure miracle. It can't fly in the rain, because the stealth parts of the plane become useless. It can't fly above 7.6 kilometers (that's 25K ft for us 'murkans) as the oxygen system will shit itself, and basically cause the pilot to experience oxygen deprivation, and a whole host of other shit.

Additionally, they have a chemical warfare filter for the air intake system which apparently showers the pilot in a shit ton of carbon dust (particles hurt your face when you're pulling a ton of Gs by the way), but this also causes the pilot to sometimes have their Pulmonary alveolus collapse. Which is bad. Like, real bad. Even "better", is that there are tons of other things that might all put this together. Official word from Lockheed on some of these issues is to "upgrade" to the F-35. Now, you wouldn't mind, but Boeing went for the F-35 designation against lockheed, and lost, because they went with something that looked like the jet fighter equivalent of a chode, whereas lockheed went with an improved F-22 design. Luckily, lockheed had to show off to the US Navy (to replace the Hornet), US Marines (To replace the Harrier), and US Air Force (To kinda sorta make up for the F-22), as well as a shit ton of other countries, who were also involved in it being created.

The department of defense has also said that the F-22s need to stay near landing locations (because shit might go awry, yo), so it has yet to see combat, compared to the currently still in use by the US and pretty much everyone else around the world F/A 18 Hornet (built by boeing). Some countries still use the F-15 (which is such a good plane, it can land with a goddamn wing missing) which was also made by Boeing (technically, the F/A-18, and F-15 were made by McDonnell Douglas, but that turned into Boeing later on).

But enough about fighter jets.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Informative Informative x 13 (list)

4. Post #84
    Slaaf van EternalFlamez.Ik wilde heel graag de laatste Indie Bundle, en ik kreeg deze kuttitel er gratis bij.
    March 2010
    4,064 Posts
    This thread needs more flying Santas pulverizing beheaded freaks with a railgun in bullet time...

I really like the art, did you make it yourself?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #85
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    207 Posts
    I just finished a project I did for the canteen at our school. A "Meal of The Day"-app. It basically retrieves data from a XML-document (with data about the following week's meals) and then puts them into labels. It is effectively my first iPhone app, so even though it's simple it took me a few days to complete, but it was easier than I had expected. I was thinking of designing it another way, but I will think about that one for a while, the important thing is that it's on the App Store at before school start!

Here's a photo:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events Useful Useful x 1Programming King Programming King x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #86
    September 2010
    2,352 Posts

I figured out depth checking, and abstracted out a nice drawing class.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #87
    January 2008
    329 Posts
    Made a video of KirShot today:

And published it on my site, along with all the info that comes with it: www.kircode.com/kirshot/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

8. Post #88
    PENISCORP DIRECTOR
    August 2007
    3,111 Posts

-snip-

Isn't that Facewound, or at least its assets?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 21 (list)

9. Post #89
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    1,479 Posts

I hope not.

EDIT:
    fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

10. Post #90
    August 2011
    449 Posts
    Working on some kind of planets thing with orbiting and what not. It's actually an old project from a while back but I decided to work on it again.

I went to go get a drink and came back and saw this. Its so beautiful.

Anyways I've been trying to get a figure eight going with two large planets.

Sadly those fat planets keep engulfing all of the planets I throw its way.

I've also been trying to get planets to orbit together like how the earth orbits the sun, and the moon orbits the earth, but the sun in the simulation keeps yanking away the earths moon and eating it.

Edit:

Also I'm looking for a programmer friend that knows Java so I can make games with him/her. lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 9Funny Funny x 2 (list)

11. Post #91
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,512 Posts
    You're probably using the Euler (pronounced 'oiler') method for time-stepping. The spirograph you get is because the Euler method is inaccurate. (There is no perfect way to do it, but keep in mind that real orbits are ellipses. The ellipse doesn't change position/shape/size unless an outside force acts on the object.)

One way to make Euler integration accurate is to lower the time step. It will take much longer to complete an orbit, but it will be closer to real life.

When simulations like this are done in 'serious' settings, they'll generally use a different type of integration. For n-body simulations, Runge-Kutta is popular. For 2-body simulations, patched conics work well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runge-kutta
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patched..._Approximation

These are both hard to do, and basically overkill. You might have better luck with the midpoint method. It's easy to program, and significantly more accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midpoint_method
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 8Programming King Programming King x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #92
    August 2011
    449 Posts
    You're probably using the Euler (pronounced 'oiler') method for time-stepping. The spirograph you get is because the Euler method is inaccurate. (There is no perfect way to do it, but keep in mind that real orbits are ellipses. The ellipse doesn't change position/shape/size unless an outside force acts on the object.)

One way to make Euler integration accurate is to lower the time step. It will take much longer to complete an orbit, but it will be closer to real life.

When simulations like this are done in 'serious' settings, they'll generally use a different type of integration. For n-body simulations, Runge-Kutta is popular. For 2-body simulations, patched conics work well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runge-kutta
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patched..._Approximation

These are both hard to do, and basically overkill. You might have better luck with the midpoint method. It's easy to program, and significantly more accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midpoint_method
    Thanks for the info but I'm not really looking to get serious with the project. It really just started out when I was bored and had some stupid idea. The way this works so far is retarded when compared to the methods you show now. lol

What I do now is that one planet gets the angle to another and just applies force in that direction based on some really simple math:

force = (20/distance)*((mass/other.getMass())*5);

I feel stupid now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

13. Post #93
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,239 Posts
    Thanks for the info but I'm not really looking to get serious with the project. It really just started out when I was bored and had some stupid idea. The way this works so far is retarded when compared to the methods you show now. lol

What I do now is that one planet gets the angle to another and just applies force in that direction based on some really simple math:

I feel stupid now.
    Don't feel stupid, you've experimented and found a way to do something trough your own accord. True, it may not be as good but you used your brain rather than do what it says in a textbook/webpage, even if you use a completely different/better method for the real thing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #94
    April 2011
    1,130 Posts
    Isn't that Facewound, or at least its assets?

It's the first Facewound map recreated in my game engine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events

15. Post #95
    January 2010
    75 Posts

I feel stupid now.
    If you want you can also look at http://gafferongames.com/game-physics/physics-in-3d/ but it really doesn't affect you game that much. If you are looking at real life, the sun has a radius of about 700,000km and the distance from the sun to earth is 150,000,000km with a radius of about 6,300km. If you use scaled number with that in mind the orbits won’t be affected to much. Although if you want number nearly to perfect use the RK4 method.

BTW I'm also making the same type of thing with Euler method in java =D.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Programming King Programming King x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #96
    August 2011
    449 Posts
    Don't feel stupid, you've experimented and found a way to do something trough your own accord. True, it may not be as good but you used your brain rather than do what it says in a textbook/webpage, even if you use a completely different/better method for the real thing
    Thanks, I think I'll just keep the same method I'm using now and just play around with it because for some reason its quite fun.

If you want you can also look at http://gafferongames.com/game-physics/physics-in-3d/ but it really doesn't affect you game that much. If you are looking at real life, the sun has a radius of about 700,000km and the distance from the sun to earth is 150,000,000km with a radius of about 6,300km. If you use scaled number with that in mind the orbits won’t be affected to much. Although if you want number nearly to perfect use the RK4 method.

BTW I'm also making the same type of thing with Euler method in java =D.
    Thanks also, and good luck with that.

17. Post #97
    Follow me on GitHub!
    June 2011
    2,085 Posts

I feel stupid now.
    You'll be wanting to do 20 / (distance * distance) for gravity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #98
    August 2011
    449 Posts
    You'll be wanting to do 20 / (distance * distance) for gravity.
    What about mass? or are you saying I should replace this "(20/distance)"?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #99
    May 2010
    5,395 Posts
    Does anyone here use any kind of software to create ER diagrams for structure?(Be that code, classes, levels, story...)
    If so what do you use? (The only one I know(That is multiplatform) is DIA)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #100
    June 2012
    52 Posts
    Working on some kind of planets thing with orbiting and what not. It's actually an old project from a while back but I decided to work on it again.

I went to go get a drink and came back and saw this. Its so beautiful.

Anyways I've been trying to get a figure eight going with two large planets.

Sadly those fat planets keep engulfing all of the planets I throw its way.

I've also been trying to get planets to orbit together like how the earth orbits the sun, and the moon orbits the earth, but the sun in the simulation keeps yanking away the earths moon and eating it.

Edit:

Also I'm looking for a programmer friend that knows Java so I can make games with him/her. lol
    Would you be so kind as to message me some of that code? :O I can't get anything working right with mine.

I got it working in the most fucked up, retarded way possible. Seriously, my code is retarded-ly stupid, and these are horrible, unstable orbits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

21. Post #101
    August 2011
    449 Posts
    Would you be so kind as to message me some of that code? :O I can't get anything working right with mine.
    I sent you a pm explaining everything I did, but I'm not sure it sent because it didn't show up in my sent items for some reason.

22. Post #102
    Ask Rohan about rust keys!
    August 2011
    2,753 Posts
    I sent you a pm explaining everything I did, but I'm not sure it sent because it didn't show up in my sent items for some reason.
    Control panel (wrench at the top right) -> General Settings -> enable Sent Private Messages:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

23. Post #103
    August 2011
    449 Posts
    Control panel (wrench at the top right) -> General Settings -> enable Sent Private Messages:
    Ohhh, thanks.

24. Post #104
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,241 Posts
    I give you, Zimbabwe Space Squadron.

Download

Edited:

Ausware approved.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 18Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #105
    April 2011
    112 Posts
    Ausware approved.
    Doesn't get better than that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

26. Post #106
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    That's not how orbits work, they typically follow a single elliptical path (unless there's more than 1 gravity source affecting the object)

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbit for general info and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity for a formula to calculate the force that applies to something in Orbit (AKA the force you need to apply to your object)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

27. Post #107
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts
    i came up with the greatest idea for a game

i will sell it to hasbro and make millions
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13Dumb Dumb x 2Winner Winner x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #108
    Was working on another compression algorithm, but the quality is not great and it is still 50% of the original size ( Top-Middle ).

Maybe I should just perfect my other compression algo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #109

January 2012
    417 Posts
    That's not how orbits work, they always follow a single elliptical path (unless there's more than 1 gravity source affecting the object)
    Well not ALWAYS. Aha, they don't if they aren't in a stable orbit. They don't if an object of sizable enough velocity knocks it off it's orbit. Or as you said, if it's acceleration is altered by passing celestial objects of sizable mass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

30. Post #110
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    Well not ALWAYS. Aha, they don't if they aren't in a stable orbit. They don't if an object of sizable enough velocity knocks it off it's orbit. Or as you said, if it's acceleration is altered by passing celestial objects of sizable mass.
    The first one DubsHelix posted is definitely wrong though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

31. Post #111
    Follow me on GitHub!
    June 2011
    2,085 Posts
    What about mass? or are you saying I should replace this "(20/distance)"?
    Just to replace that bit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #112
    This title has been removed due to a copyright claim from Viacom Inc.
    July 2008
    3,486 Posts
    Writing my own package manager so I can make my own linux distro.
    Not much now, but it recognizes command line options!

Edited:

Got it installing packages to /usr/pkg/name-version, now I just need to read in symlinks from a file and create them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

33. Post #113
    December 2009
    3,357 Posts
    Transformations!

The erratic pulsing is intentional, it's abs(sin(tan(time))). The dodecahedron is rendered using back-face culling but I guess I'll need a depth buffer for anything more complicated.

I'm looking forward to the next chapter, the small parts of code with explanations really help me to combine the ideas from the tutorial in different ways.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 9Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

34. Post #114
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,717 Posts
    Writing my own package manager so I can make my own linux distro.
    Not much now, but it recognizes command line options!

Edited:

Got it installing packages to /usr/pkg/name-version, now I just need to read in symlinks from a file and create them.
    I'd like to see this go somewhere. What are you planning the distro to be like?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

35. Post #115
    October 2011
    2,124 Posts
    I don't even know how i got this, but I think it's pretty cool.
    oh god why does video looks so laggy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

36. Post #116
    June 2012
    6 Posts
    Still working on my game. Recently finished programming gibs system and some special effects.
    Here's a shitty video:

Ignore the way he's holding the guns, I haven't worked on it yet.
    I know I am a little late on the post but what language do you program in?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

37. Post #117
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,015 Posts
    C# and Unity if I remember correctly

Edited:

Today I've completely added customizable controls and gamepad support to my game

Edited:

I love when I add major features in a really short time frame, it feels good

Also controls in my game can be configured to and key, gamepad button or gamepad axis, so I can already control it with my Xbox controller and no extra programs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

38. Post #118
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    I know I am a little late on the post but what language do you program in?
    UnityScript, which is JavaScript syntax with access to .NET and Unity IDE.

Edited:

.NET is pretty sweet actually.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

39. Post #119
    January 2010
    75 Posts

I remade my camera system form scratch to support Java2D instead of the piece of crap J3D. Also made an array group thing to hold all the object, or anything that I want it to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 8 (list)

40. Post #120
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    Transformations!

-vid-

The erratic pulsing is intentional, it's abs(sin(tan(time))). The dodecahedron is rendered using back-face culling but I guess I'll need a depth buffer for anything more complicated.

I'm looking forward to the next chapter, the small parts of code with explanations really help me to combine the ideas from the tutorial in different ways.
    Very nice! There's just one thing holding back the next chapter right now, which is introducing a new scene to work with to introduce the appliances of the stencil buffer.

If I want to draw a plane with a cube on it, do you think it's acceptable to just link to a file with with the vertex array and element arrays in it and explain that it draws the cube? So, basically treating it as a hardcoded model instead of a specifying how the cube is made.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)