1. Post #1
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    We set out to make it as easy as possible for everyone to upgrade to Windows 8. Starting at general availability, if your PC is running Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 you will qualify to download an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for just $39.99 in 131 markets. And if you want, you can add Windows Media Center for free through the “add features” option within Windows 8 Pro after your upgrade.

When you use Windows.com to purchase an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro, the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant makes upgrading simple by walking you through the upgrade process step-by-step from purchase to download and then of course installation.

The Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant will check to make sure your PC is ready for Windows 8. It will provide a detailed compatibility report that lets you know of anything you may have to address before or after the upgrade and outlines actions to take.

It will also inform you of any application or device compatibility issues. It will ask you what you want to keep from your current Windows installation. You will be able to upgrade from any consumer edition of Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro and bring everything along which includes your Windows settings, personal files, and apps. If you are upgrading from Windows Vista, you will be able to bring along your Windows settings and personal files, and if you are upgrading from Windows XP you will only be able to bring along your personal files. Of course, if you want to start fresh, you can choose to bring nothing along. Or if you prefer to format your hard drive as part of your upgrade experience, you can do so as long as you boot from media and then format your hard drive from within the setup experience for installing Windows 8, not prior to it.

Once you purchase your upgrade, the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant kicks off your download. It has a built-in download manager that allows you to pause and continue your download at any time as well as a check to ensure your download completes successfully.

After your download finishes, you can choose to proceed with the upgrade (“Install now”) or install later either from your desktop or by creating your own media. If you choose to create your own media, you will be able to create your own bootable USB or .ISO file which can be burned onto a DVD for upgrade and backup purposes. If you prefer, you also have the option of purchasing a backup DVD for $15 plus shipping and handling.

We believe that your upgrade experience in Windows 8 will be a breeze by offering a faster experience, a single upgrade path, and compatibility from prior versions of Windows. We’ve continued to listen to our customers and have expanded the ability to download to over 100 countries and 37 languages. We have simplified the Windows upgrade experience with the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant which supports you during your upgrade with everything from selecting your language to pausing your download to built-in compatibility checks - it’s seamless. And if you’re an enthusiast you will have the flexibility to download and control how you upgrade.

If you prefer to shop at a local store, a packaged DVD version of the upgrade to Windows 8 Pro will be available for $69.99 during this promotion.

This upgrade promotion for Windows 8 Pro both online and at retail runs through January 31st, 2013.

We wanted to share information about this upgrade promotion with you as we continue to drive toward the RTM milestone for Windows 8. We will of course have more to say and more details to provide closer to general availability.

Oh, and by the way - if you’re not upgrading from a prior version of Windows and are building your own PC or installing Windows 8 in a virtual machine or a separate partition, you will be able to purchase and install the Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro System Builder product.
    Source: http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b...for-39-99.aspx

You may not be exactly fond of the new start menu, but this is still a huge upgrade from XP, so I think it's pretty nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner x 175Funny x 11Friendly x 7Disagree x 4Dumb x 3Agree x 2Optimistic x 1Late x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    I love My Cunt Oven
    August 2010
    4,198 Posts
    Can someone tell me the differences between W7 and this besides shitty metro and the lack of a start button?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 36Agree Agree x 16Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    June 2008
    4,658 Posts
    Okay, now that's pretty damn cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 60Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Disregard Flagdog I'm British
    August 2010
    9,306 Posts
    Can someone tell me the differences between W7 and this besides shitty metro and the lack of a start button?
    Very fast.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 53Funny x 5Disagree x 3Informative x 3Winner x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #5

June 2012
    712 Posts
    eeeerrrr, can I still keep W7 if I want? Because I'd take this offer.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    14,859 Posts
    Now nobody has an excuse that they cannot upgrade from XP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 109Disagree Disagree x 12Optimistic Optimistic x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,860 Posts
    Why would I want to upgrade?

I could buy several games on Steam with that money rather than paying for the new OS with even less features.

No thank you Mircosoft.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb x 115Agree x 6Informative x 1Zing x 1Useful x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    I love My Cunt Oven
    August 2010
    4,198 Posts
    Very fast.
    So Aero won't take up 500 MB of RAM space this time around?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 26Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    11,822 Posts
    They've cleaned up some under the hood stuff, but I wouldn't say it's worth upgrading if you already have Win7.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 19Useful Useful x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    3,660 Posts
    This makes up for a lot, Microsoft.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

11. Post #11
    June 2008
    4,658 Posts

I could buy several games on Steam with that money rather than paying for the new OS with even less features.

No thank you Mircosoft.
    You can judge it when it releases.

But really, $40/£20 etc is really nothing for a pro version of Windows
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 35Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Fight until death, shoot until empty.

November 2009
    15,551 Posts

No thank you Mircosoft.
    Maybe because your OS is 10 years old. For $40 I would upgrade all my computers in the house to W8 (if they had XP still.. )

It would be stupid not to upgrade
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 37Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,337 Posts
    Enough complaining about wasting your money, if you don't want it, don't buy it. This is perfect for people who still use xp/vista and aren't very tech savvy; Windows 8 is really easy to use.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Dumb Dumb x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    8,855 Posts
    I just realized that all these new upgrades will probably make some of my older games obsolete and unplayable :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    5,852 Posts
    I just realized that all these new upgrades will probably make some of my older games obsolete and unplayable :(
    Emulators.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 19Disagree Disagree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    June 2008
    4,658 Posts
    With every new Windows comes compatibility problems

It sucks, really
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 19Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,433 Posts
    Better file explorer, task manager, multi-monitor support, it's faster overall.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,096 Posts
    So weird that they got rid of the start button. Like every keyboard has a start menu button, so will be weird not having it anymore
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 39 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    8,531 Posts
    I take it if you already have Windows 7 it still isn't worth changing everything up?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member

June 2009
    8,467 Posts
    Even 40 bucks is out of my budget! Oh well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 3Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    868 Posts
    Well after having actually used Windows 8 for a period of time on my secondary PC, well, I don't mind the lack of the start button. Sure it takes time to get use to Metro (believe me it did) but now it makes sense and works quite well, I enjoy using it. Tell me, MaddaCheeb, have you even installed the preview? Or are you just riding the bandwagon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,426 Posts
    Better file explorer, task manager, multi-monitor support, it's faster overall.
    Built in .iso mounter, built in PDF reader, support for taking your personal settings to any Windows 8 machine, dockable programs (you can have a MetroUI application dock to the side of your screen, and the rest of your screen will adapt to it). There's so many more under the hood features as well. The Start Screen itself brings some nice ones, such as Live Tiles for quickly seeing updates about whatever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    I JERK MY COCK UNTIL IT'S SORE TO MLP RULE 34
    July 2010
    3,791 Posts
    Doesn't W8 come with a built in emulator or something that can run something?

I swear I heard it comes with a built in emulator.

Fuck ninja'd...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree x 4Friendly x 1Dumb x 1Informative x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    I'm basically scarface, so line your bitches up so they can get a taste of my shlong.
    March 2007
    511 Posts
    Chances are I would get this for my netbook to trial it when it comes out, no way I would upgrade from Win 7 with all the changes without at least testing it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,937 Posts
    Now nobody has an excuse that they cannot upgrade from XP.
    My only reason is dependent on how much it takes to run it. I can barely squeak by playing Source games on this laptop, and if Win8 hogs a bunch of resources I won't be able to period.

Then again, I should really invest in a new PC.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,802 Posts
    Doesn't W8 come with a built in emulator or something that can run something?

I swear I heard it comes with a built in emulator.

Fuck ninja'd...
    It comes with Hyper-V if that's what you're thinking of.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,496 Posts
    I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I could keep the GUI the same as W7. Still undecided though. Too much change for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 52Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    A man chooses, a slave obeys.
    August 2011
    2,254 Posts
    I like it, a very simple painless way to upgrade. Shame it's for windows 8 but it should be good for it's successor.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    20,184 Posts
    If only I didn't have OEM vista on a computer that's reached the end of the line :c
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,802 Posts
    I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I could keep the GUI the same as W7. Still undecided though. Too much change for me.
    Classic Shell, ViStart, or an in-between Start8 and there you go.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 9Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    Just too bad that the reasons for me using Windows are pretty much only games and a few specific programs.

I love me some POSIX.

Though It's good they are giving people a incentive to upgrade from Windows XP (well unless their machines are old first-gen P4's with 512MB ram)

32. Post #32
    Loading title...6
    June 2009
    6,597 Posts
    Built in .iso mounter,
    Whoaoahoaah, this I did not know of. That's gonna turn out to be pretty useful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 25Funny Funny x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    October 2008
    2,019 Posts
    And I bet it has even worse sound card functionality than W7, along with a whole new slew of cut back end functions like every version of windows post XP. I'll pass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10 (list)

34. Post #34
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,901 Posts
    For $40 I'm willing to put aside my grievances with Metro.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 33Disagree Disagree x 7 (list)

35. Post #35
    June 2010
    4,370 Posts
    This is great. I want to do this, but if I get a new mobo after I'd be screwed over right or can I contact MS?

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,496 Posts
    Classic Shell, ViStart, or an in-between Start8 and there you go.
    Am I going to have to replace system files to get it like I want it or is there a handy little checkbox in the W8 control panel to do that?

37. Post #37
    Certified Witch - Cutie Department
    April 2007
    13,568 Posts
    So weird that they got rid of the start button. Like every keyboard has a start menu button, so will be weird not having it anymore
    That button on the keyboard is essentially the button for the start menu now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    sarcastic bastard
    October 2005
    5,057 Posts
    I'm still a bit sceptical about Windows 8, even after trying the Preview, but at that price I think I'm just going to jump in and see how it goes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,802 Posts
    Am I going to have to replace system files to get it like I want it or is there a handy little checkbox in the W8 control panel to do that?
    They're all 3rd party applications, all you need to do is click next several times through an installer and it'll add a button and a start menu for you. Or in the case of Start8 it'll give you a button and a non-fullscreen Start screen.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    10,817 Posts
    I guess I should finally update vista then
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 25Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)