1. Post #201
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    5,673 Posts
    Can someone tell me the differences between W7 and this besides shitty metro and the lack of a start button?
    Instead of taking ten hours to search your entire drive for a file, it takes but a few seconds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

2. Post #202
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,808 Posts
    Only been using Win 8 for about 30 minutes now, the difference is almost negligible, although I didn't have much use for Metro, so I'm gonna treat it as a like a root to all the things I actually use, like an alternate desktop, suppose that Steam's 10' UI will work like an app?

Although without the start button, I don't know how to turn my computer off.
    ctrl-alt-delete

power button in corner

That's how I do it, I don't know if Microsoft had some more efficient way hidden in the bowels of Metro that they intended us to use.

3. Post #203
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    4,022 Posts
    I also just had a shocking moment when my GPU Drivers stopped working and the screen went into a dizzying array of blue pixels. Getting Certified Win 8 Drivers from Nvidia.

4. Post #204
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,840 Posts
    Was thinking this was going to be another Vista scenario, but at $40 why not give it a shot?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #205
    May 2011
    393 Posts
    Not interested until they get those kinks finished.

6. Post #206
    August 2008
    242 Posts
    That price is absolutely fantastic. My parents PC has Win 7 Home Premium x64, I have Ultimate.
    Is the Pro version the top or not? I don't want to downgrade.

edit: my shit laptop also has Win 7 Home Premium. I might upgrade there to see how it works.

7. Post #207
    April 2012
    644 Posts
    Better file explorer, task manager, multi-monitor support, it's faster overall.
    And in return I get to use a tablet UI on my mouse and keyboard desktop.

Start button > shitty mandatory fullscreen metro
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Agree Agree x 3 (list)

8. Post #208
    May 2009
    448 Posts
    They should be paying *us* to upgrade to Windows 8.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13 (list)

9. Post #209
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    what's expensive about it it came with my 99$ mobo
    And I bought a cheap-as-chips pci-express X1 expansion card that gave my computers 2 USB 3.0 ports.
    It's pretty boss.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #210
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    320 Posts
    But I love my XP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #211
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,661 Posts
    This is pretty nice of Microsoft.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #212
    I do it all
    November 2010
    14,231 Posts
    Iunno, that's a good deal, but I'm not sure about W8. I really hate some of the changes they made. Like, this:

is really a dealbreaker for me. I'm still using Office 2003 because I refuse to use that retarded fucking ribbon layout. If there's an option to use the normal Windows convention then that would go a long way for me, because just that sort of thing- changing ingrained items- is really what's keeping me against Win8.
    I bet you haven't even used Office 2010, they made extensive changes to the ribbon, it looks better, can customize it and you can collapse it instead of double clicking on a tab.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

13. Post #213
    April 2009
    672 Posts
    why upgrade from Windows 7? from what I have read in this thread the new Windows 8 uses about half the amount of RAM W7 does and can search for files quicker.. I have 8GB of memory and I've never found RAM usage to be an issue. and hard drive search times? I know where my things are, and when I DO need to search for something it does not take 30 minutes like some people say it does.

sure, W8 is cheap but having just built a new windows 7 PC, what other reasons are there for an upgrade? A lot of people are being rated dumb for sticking to Windows 7. is it really THAT much of an upgrade? there must be something I am missing here.

14. Post #214
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,387 Posts
    The only reason why they are offering Windows 8 at a such cheap price is to shoehorn their terribad Metro UI everywhere. Microsoft apparently thinks everyone will start buying Windows tablets and Windows Phones after they are forced to use Metro on the desktop. Microsoft is just too scared that Apple and Google will dominate them as mobile space is becoming more and more relevant.

Hell, if Windows 8 would be the only choice, I'd rather buy a touchscreen computer than using it with a mouse and a keyboard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #215
    June 2010
    2,482 Posts

Start button > shitty mandatory fullscreen metro
    Except that it works great with mouse and keyboard.

In my experience, the people that say this are the people who've never tried it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #216
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    7,237 Posts
    I was thinking of getting windows 8. This has just solidified my resolve.

17. Post #217
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    20,323 Posts
    Unless Windows 8 miraculously uses half the amount of RAM that 7 uses, Not going to bother

18. Post #218
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    My parents still have an old pc running windows XP. Would windows 8 run well if windows XP did?

19. Post #219
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    20,529 Posts
    Unless Windows 8 miraculously uses half the amount of RAM that 7 uses, Not going to bother
    From most accounts in the thread, it does seem it uses up to half the amount of memory 7 does.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

20. Post #220
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    17,979 Posts
    Why do I get the feeling Microsoft's kinda desperate with Windows 8 ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #221
    own-fucking-zone
    April 2009
    4,016 Posts
    So Aero won't take up 500 MB of RAM space this time around?
    You're complaining about 500 MB RAM in 2012? Holy shit. If it's that big of a deal to you, just disable Aero. Simple problems have simple solutions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #222
    June 2007
    406 Posts
    I'm still on the fence about upgrading on my desktop. The Previews are freaking amazing on my tablet PC. I find the fastest way to navigate is to use both the keyboard/mouse and touchscreen in a hybrid type of way (touch for metro, keyboard/mouse for non metro apps).

The only way they could get this to fly off the shelves is if high res touchscreen desktop monitors were predominate.

23. Post #223
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,894 Posts

Start button > shitty mandatory that you can remove with different free programs fullscreen metro (which is not "Metro" but the start screen)

24. Post #224
    June 2012
    175 Posts
    well what can I say, some people are just more willing to wait for 35Mb/sec
    There's a 12Mb/s USB 2.0 too you know.

Edited:

any motherboard made in the last year or two has USB3.0 ports.

Do you plan to be on the exact same motherboard forever?
    Considering if I upgrade my motherboard I have to pretty much redo my entire system because not much is made for my motherboard anymore, I don't plan on upgrading for a while.

My computer works perfectly fine for what I use it for. It runs new games fairly well. It full of older shit but I don't have many problems. I can't spare the cash to upgrade to a newer system.

Edited:

ctrl-alt-delete

power button in corner

That's how I do it, I don't know if Microsoft had some more efficient way hidden in the bowels of Metro that they intended us to use.
    I don't like this.

Control Alt Delete is for punishing my computer when it's been bad. I don't want it to think it's bad every time I want to shut it down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #225
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    Yeah, no thanks. I'd rather stick to Win7.

26. Post #226
    I do it all
    November 2010
    14,231 Posts
    It does seem like a good deal, hell now this has me interested but I'm going to wait off a while until I get $40.

27. Post #227
    June 2012
    175 Posts
    You're complaining about 500 MB RAM in 2012? Holy shit. If it's that big of a deal to you, just disable Aero. Simple problems have simple solutions.
    To be fair 500MB is a lot for a desktop theme to be using. But at the same time I've NEVER seen Aero use that much.

My top 5 ram users right now are Google Chrome (175k), SVCHOST (150k), a Game Patcher (135k), and two more partitions of Google Chrome at around 80k each.

I am assuming Aero is bundled in with explorer.exe since it goes away if I end that. In which case I have to go down very far to see it and it's only using 25k memory.

28. Post #228
    A true breast lover loves all breasts, regardless of the size.
    May 2010
    2,540 Posts
    "Your PC's CPU isn't compatible with Windows 8"

Anyone else having this problem? I have an i5 2500k, so I don't see the issue. Googling it just gives me a german post on some forum.

Edited:

Nevermind

29. Post #229
    November 2011
    531 Posts
    if i have to disable a core component of my operating system to stop it from using 1/8th of my ram, it needs to be redesigned. this isn't a valid excuse.

30. Post #230
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    5,509 Posts
    why upgrade from Windows 7? from what I have read in this thread the new Windows 8 uses about half the amount of RAM W7 does and can search for files quicker.. I have 8GB of memory and I've never found RAM usage to be an issue. and hard drive search times? I know where my things are, and when I DO need to search for something it does not take 30 minutes like some people say it does.

sure, W8 is cheap but having just built a new windows 7 PC, what other reasons are there for an upgrade? A lot of people are being rated dumb for sticking to Windows 7. is it really THAT much of an upgrade? there must be something I am missing here.
    There's a lot of improvements other than the RAM, and aside from that it's just a cheap upgrade for the next version of the OS. At some point windows 7 is going to be out of date and no longer updated, and you'll have to upgrade to 8 or 9 if it's out. If they're going to give you a cheap as dirt upgrade, why not? If you're still on XP or Vista, this is really a no brainer.

31. Post #231
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,669 Posts
    if i have to disable a core component of my operating system to stop it from using 1/8th of my ram, it needs to be redesigned. this isn't a valid excuse.
    Aero has never used "500MB" of RAM. Aero alone shouldn't anyway. The DWM application that controls that kind of thing uses around 30MB in Windows 7 on average, I can't remember how much it used on my old Vista machine, but it most definitely wasn't close to 100MB, let alone 500MB.

If you're going to call something bad, at least get it right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 4 (list)

32. Post #232
    November 2007
    901 Posts
    Wow! I might actually get Windows 8 then.

33. Post #233
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    On one hand, I think it's cool that Microsoft want everybody to use their cross-architecture OS with a new API on it. On the other hand, Windows 8.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

34. Post #234
    Sometimes I put my nose in my dog's butt and I furiously squeeze his belly until he farts.
    May 2009
    2,380 Posts
    Yeah, I guess I'll switch off of Vista to 8. I would prefer 7, but if this is good too, I'll do it.

35. Post #235
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,825 Posts
    Why do I get the feeling Microsoft's kinda desperate with Windows 8 ?
    They had the same deal with Windows 7 when it came out. Difference is now you get Pro instead of Home Premium.

36. Post #236
    May 2009
    1,145 Posts
    Hmm, i'm still on Vista but would upgrading be the same as 'reformatting'? I'd like to start fresh.

37. Post #237
    ASK ME ABOUT MY PLAYBOOK INSTEAD OF COLLEGE
    April 2011
    1,627 Posts
    The only answer to "why not upgrade" is "because everything is set up just the way I like it."

Considering everything is set up just the way I like it (and need it for my work) - why upgrade?

38. Post #238
    :-)
    December 2007
    4,212 Posts
    Using the Release build right now, for $40 I'll definitely try to buy this.

39. Post #239
    [B][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacos"]Tacos![/URL][/B]
    April 2008
    5,450 Posts
    ctrl-alt-delete

power button in corner

Swipe the right side of the screen and go into settings. The power is there for some reason. Personally I'd prefer it in a more accessible location. I like Windows 8 for a lot of things, but I don't like it for other things. For example, the lack of a start button isn't good because the Windows key takes you to Metro, it doesn't open up a start tab or start tab alternative. So if you need to find a program you have to go through your files and folders, right click the application and pin it to the start screen (or pin to taskbar, create shortcut on desktop). It's a lot of work. I have W8 and W7 installed side by side and they work well, no problems here. But when I go into a user profile from w8 to w7 it takes forever to load it initially. That's where all my music and videos are and W8 didn't auto detect them there because they aren't in a Public folder (I'm assuming), so it was a hassle getting that set up.

The video player sucks. I tried watching videos and it got stuck at the first frame and all I heard was sound. You can play it from Windows Media Player on the desktop, but that defeats the purpose of having the video app in Metro.

Edited:

Hmm, i'm still on Vista but would upgrading be the same as 'reformatting'? I'd like to start fresh.
    Not necessarily. You can choose to keep your old files and settings so long as you are upgrading from Windows 7. Vista and XP both do not transfer everything over, so it would probably be close to a format.

Edited:

One thing I absolutely hate about Windows 8 though is that because they designed it for tablets in mind, EVERYTHING is built for gesture. They gave barely any thought or consideration to keyboard/mouse. And because of that navigation and customization can be a real hassle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

40. Post #240
    August 2009
    1,046 Posts
    I was hoping that w8 would be similar to w7 but with some added metro stuff that only shows at startup and some theme and performance improvements. The fact that they have changed the entire way of accessing almost everything kind of puts me off.

Though I bought an asus laptop in december with windows 7 that came without a repair disk for some reason (and had to buy several DVD's to back it up myself with their preinstalled AI Recovery software) so I would gladly buy w8 even in the current state as long as they provide me with the entire iso (and not the bullshit that depends on a stupid partition) and maybe even the possibility to downgrade to w7 if necessary.