1. Post #81
    Black Box Lover and Enthusiast
    August 2007
    8,423 Posts
    Not hungry at all. Microsoft showed a memory usage comparison though it's now a year out of date:

Well then I certainly can't argue with those results. Thanks for the info! So windows 8 comes out in October? I assume that's when this offer'll start?

2. Post #82
    June 2010
    3,507 Posts
    You won't be able to go from x86 to x64, but I imagine they'll have a way to fresh install like before if it sees you have a previous version of Windows on it. That's what they did with XP to 7 upgrades.
    I know I can't install 64 on top of 32, but could I get a copy for Win8 64 for the 40 dollars, if I have Win7 32.

3. Post #83
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    No please, don't use 1/32 of my RAM.

Edited:

I didn't buy this ram to use it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Funny Funny x 16Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #84
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,825 Posts
    I know I can't install 64 on top of 32, but could I get a copy for Win8 64 for the 40 dollars, if I have Win7 32.
    Oh, probably, but I'm not entirely sure on that.

Edited:

No please, don't use 1/32 of my RAM.

Edited:

I didn't buy this ram to use it!
    While that does seem true, you still want enough RAM for other things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #85
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,260 Posts
    I think that screenshot is most likely from an ARM tablet or so, where the amount of memory used really matters (And it'll also be an absolutely fresh install so not representative of general workload, etc.)

On my system (7 SP1) it's using 2.69GB of RAM with no user visible apps apart from Steam open, reducing the base load by 200MB is fine, but doesn't mean much to a normal computer (Although it sure as hell matters on a tablet)

6. Post #86
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,825 Posts
    I think that screenshot is most likely from an ARM tablet or so, where the amount of memory used really matters (And it'll also be an absolutely fresh install so not representative of general workload, etc.)

On my system (7 SP1) it's using 2.69GB of RAM with no user visible apps apart from Steam open, reducing the base load by 200MB is fine, but doesn't mean much to a normal computer (Although it sure as hell matters on a tablet)
    It depends on how much RAM you have installed too because Windows scales its usage. That system only has 1GB of installed memory.

7. Post #87
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts

It can't be. WinRT doesn't run the traditional desktop, meaning it can't run the Aero Task Manager Window.

Edited:

Also 4gb of DDR3 today is $20. If you don't have 8gb of RAM maybe you should spend some cash before complaining about RAM usage.

I have 8gb, and I don't think I've ever used more than 3gb at any one time.
    not that I monitor that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

8. Post #88
    Vs2012 sucks, Ill pass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #89
    dubstep
    August 2005
    4,197 Posts
    Hate how it says 'You may need an app to play movies'..

Seems like they're just trying to be cool by using words like 'app' and shit that really don't suit Microsoft's corporate appeal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Isle of Man Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #90
    I Love Gaylo 4
    April 2006
    10,365 Posts
    Vs2012 sucks, Ill pass.
    What is Vs2012?

Edited:

Seems like they're just trying to be cool by using words like 'app' and shit that really don't suit Microsoft's corporate appeal.
    What? The word "App" has always been a nickname for the term "application"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

11. Post #91
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    What is Vs2012?

Edited:

What? The word "App" has always been a nickname for the term "application"
    Yeah, app for application has been around forever.
    Even app as in Job Application is older than I am.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

12. Post #92
    January 2012
    1,825 Posts
    I'll probably keep Windows 7 on my desktop for now, but I'll most likely be upgrading on my laptop, simply because it's running Vista, and I'm sick of it. Fantastic deal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #93
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,260 Posts
    It depends on how much RAM you have installed too because Windows scales its usage. That system only has 1GB of installed memory.
    Yes, that's a good point.

It can't be. WinRT doesn't run the traditional desktop, meaning it can't run the Aero Task Manager Window.

Edited:

Also 4gb of DDR3 today is $20. If you don't have 8gb of RAM maybe you should spend some cash before complaining about RAM usage.

I have 8gb, and I don't think I've ever used more than 3gb at any one time.
    not that I monitor that.
    "WinRT" still has the normal desktop (It's where Office runs), it's just that 3rd party developers can't target it, they're limited to "Metro" apps. And even then Microsoft have the source code and all the compilers, they can do whatever they want during development.

And I wasn't complaining about RAM usage (I've got 8GB so meh), but unlike desktops, you really can't upgrade the RAM in a tablet, so usage matters there.

14. Post #94
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,653 Posts

Uhhh...app is shorthand for application, you know, the things modern computers have run since their creation? Apps aren't a new idea at all, but the use of the shorthand has certainly become a buzzword of some sorts.

And, oh that is so cute, you think MS are all about the corporate market still. My what you've missed in recent history! MS have had a personal and family computing focus for at least a decade now.

15. Post #95
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    5,819 Posts
    Iunno, that's a good deal, but I'm not sure about W8. I really hate some of the changes they made. Like, this:

is really a dealbreaker for me. I'm still using Office 2003 because I refuse to use that retarded fucking ribbon layout. If there's an option to use the normal Windows convention then that would go a long way for me, because just that sort of thing- changing ingrained items- is really what's keeping me against Win8.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 15Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #96
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,886 Posts
    Iunno, that's a good deal, but I'm not sure about W8. I really hate some of the changes they made. Like, this:

is really a dealbreaker for me. I'm still using Office 2003 because I refuse to use that retarded fucking ribbon layout. If there's an option to use the normal Windows convention then that would go a long way for me, because just that sort of thing- changing ingrained items- is really what's keeping me against Win8.
    Dude, that screenshot is from, like, February 2011 or something - you can collapse the ribbon. Anyhow, I find it fairly useful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #97
    I Love Gaylo 4
    April 2006
    10,365 Posts

Implying you can't customize and modify the UI's to how you want them? Not to mention the screenshot you are showing us is rather dated, and you can collapse the "retarded fucking ribbon layout".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #98
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,825 Posts

It's minimized by default, and you don't really have to use it. Not to mention with the QAT you could pin Open CMD Prompt to it, and hit Alt+1 (or whatever location it's at) and just open it there. So it's actually useful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #99
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,653 Posts

The ribbon is actually quite sensible if you actually bothered to take some time to use it for a normal usage period. I was a bit sceptical of it at first, but after a few hours of use the ribbon kinda stuck with me and yeah, I can see what MS were trying with it, and it works if implemented right. We still have our keyboard shortcuts, but now the menu items aren't a list of bollocks, important items are easily visible and take no time to find.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #100
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    5,819 Posts
    My point is that I don't want a customizable ribbon, or one that collapses/minimizes. It's nonsensical to take a perfectly reasonable method that's been in place for years and just throw it out in favor of super-simplicity for the super-simple. I've been made to use the Office 07 and 2010 ribbon enough in school, on friends' computers, and at work, and I still find it to be totally unusable at the worst of times and annoying at the best. Besides being crazily nonsensical it's also an eyesore that takes up far more space with far less functionality and with far less ease to use.

And it's that sort of thing that bugs me. The start menu is another thing with that, though I'm not so opposed to that because it still offers most of the same ease of use, although seemingly also taking up more space than necessary and over-simplifying it. I don't understand why moderately easy to use methods need to be chopped down to the bare minimum to the point where it's not easily usable for anyone but people who only use 10 commands, yet take up more space than ever with gaudy windows and themes and whatever. That's my issue. It's at the point where OS is more damned Windows-oriented than Windows itself in its UI. And that's what bugs me. Alot. I don't like changes in my UI, and when there must be changes I don't like them so sudden and violent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #101
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    1,339 Posts
    You can judge it when it releases.

But really, $40/20 etc is really nothing for a pro version of Windows
    even better since Pro this time around is the same as having Ultimate.. there is no Windows 8 Ultimate
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #102
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,825 Posts
    My point is that I don't want a customizable ribbon, or one that collapses/minimizes. It's nonsensical to take a perfectly reasonable method that's been in place for years and just throw it out in favor of super-simplicity for the super-simple. I've been made to use the Office 07 and 2010 ribbon enough in school, on friends' computers, and at work, and I still find it to be totally unusable at the worst of times and annoying at the best. Besides being crazily nonsensical it's also an eyesore that takes up far more space with far less functionality and with far less ease to use.

And it's that sort of thing that bugs me. The start menu is another thing with that, though I'm not so opposed to that because it still offers most of the same ease of use, although seemingly also taking up more space than necessary and over-simplifying it. I don't understand why moderately easy to use methods need to be chopped down to the bare minimum to the point where it's not easily usable for anyone but people who only use 10 commands, yet take up more space than ever with gaudy windows and themes and whatever. That's my issue. It's at the point where OS is more damned Windows-oriented than Windows itself in its UI. And that's what bugs me. Alot. I don't like changes in my UI, and when there must be changes I don't like them so sudden and violent.
    They did the same in Vista/7 by replacing and removing a lot of the functionality from toolbars and just replaced it with a simple command bar. So I assume you'd like to go back to XP?

23. Post #103
    October 2009
    6,412 Posts
    Doesn't change the fact that it's shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #104
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    5,330 Posts

Applications is what programs are except an application is more for simple users and programs for advanced users.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9 (list)

25. Post #105
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,801 Posts
    Am I going to have to replace system files to get it like I want it or is there a handy little checkbox in the W8 control panel to do that?
    I can't help but feel like it's not worth the effort to bring the Start menu back.

Like all these Start8 attempts and shit are just people rebelling against Microsoft.

26. Post #106
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,925 Posts
    It's nice of them to do this. I'm amazed actually.

But I still don't care that much about an OS for me to upgrade/downgrade.
    I use Windows Vista, it's shit but it doesn't bother me.

27. Post #107
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    11,544 Posts
    Doesn't change the fact that it's shit.
    Kinda does since it's been proven that not only has shit like this happened before and it was fine, but something as small as this gets criticized because it isn't what people are used to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 3 (list)

28. Post #108
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,110 Posts
    Code:
    Your windows XP has been detected to be of a volume license and therefore is excluded from this offer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #109
    Facepunch's Local Lycanthrope
    December 2008
    1,785 Posts
    Code:
    Your windows XP has been detected to be of a volume license and therefore is excluded from this offer.
    don't worry, you won't be missing out on much
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Jersey Show Events Dumb Dumb x 25Funny Funny x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

30. Post #110
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,329 Posts
    You know, i've heard of that theory or whatever it is that basically every other Windows version is shit.
    I mean, we had Vista (oh god what a fiasco), then Windows 7 which was (is) the best thing ever since XP, and now we're at Windows 8.

$40 is a damn good deal, but I think i'll pass up 8 and see what they'll give us next time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #111
    December 2009
    8,851 Posts
    From what I hear it isn't worth the 40$ or getting rid of 7. Tough 40$ is cheap as hell for a new OS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #112
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,329 Posts
    From what I hear it isn't worth the 40$ or getting rid of 7. Tough 40$ is cheap as hell for a new OS.
    There's room for A LOT of improvement later on down the road though.

It's tough, but it may be better and smarter to just pass up on the 40 dollar offer here.

Edited:

Plus, this is another MAJOR step foward for them.

Just like Vista was from XP, and look at how that turned out. (Of course the next version to come out, Windows 7, was what Vista should have been)
    It may, just may, end up like that again.

Overall, I think it would be better to pass up Windows 8 so that's what i'll do.
    Windows 7 is fine as is for now, and i'll wait until the version after 8 when they've ironed out all the shit Windows 8 will have.

I love how Delta spams boxes everywhere as soon as someone disagrees with him
    EVEN when they have a valid point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #113
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    5,819 Posts
    They did the same in Vista/7 by replacing and removing a lot of the functionality from toolbars and just replaced it with a simple command bar. So I assume you'd like to go back to XP?
    I didn't much like that either, I would indeed prefer the XP method, but the Vista/7 style

-was not Gaudy
    -was not completely oversimplified
    -did not remove significant functionality

so it's at least usable and acceptable.

Again, I don't mind changes, but they need to ease into them and not just go "hey guize we've had this our entire existence. FUCK IT. you get to use this completely different thing that's impossible to find anything in because we only make the 10 most common functions easy to find in an appropriate place, since we're appealing tot he lowest common denominator now."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

34. Post #114
    I Love Gaylo 4
    April 2006
    10,365 Posts
    I love how Delta spams boxes everywhere as soon as someone disagrees with him
    EVEN when they have a valid point.
    Yes, because calling Windows 8 a downgrade, or not wanting to buy an OS because of an optional ribbon layout in windows explorer is totally a valid point. Do everyone an favor and stop criticizing something that has nothing to do with the topic of the thread. If someone's opinion differs from mine, but provides logic on why, fine, who am I to judge. If the stupid, i'll rate it dumb.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

35. Post #115
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I could keep the GUI the same as W7. Still undecided though. Too much change for me.
    you can go back to Windows 2000 GUI in W7, of course you can change the GUI
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 4 (list)

36. Post #116
    June 2012
    175 Posts
    Do you HAVE to use Metro in Windows 8, or can I use Aero?

I personally really hate Metro. To be honest I hate the direction Microsoft is taking Windows in. I'd like to have a nicer faster OS and for $40 it's a fucking steal. But I really love Aero and a lot of the features of Windows 7.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

37. Post #117
    I Love Gaylo 4
    April 2006
    10,365 Posts
    Do you HAVE to use Metro in Windows 8, or can I use Aero?

I personally really hate Metro. To be honest I hate the direction Microsoft is taking Windows in. I'd like to have a nicer faster OS and for $40 it's a fucking steal. But I really love Aero and a lot of the features of Windows 7.
    Default, you are forced to use Metro, luckily there are programs that re-implement the original Start Menu, like http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/ for example.

38. Post #118
    April 2011
    1,388 Posts
    no excuses now

i guess i should upgrade
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #119
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,467 Posts
    hmm, my Uni sells full windows 7 keys for $29.99, i wonder how win8 pricing will be

40. Post #120
    June 2012
    175 Posts
    Default, you are forced to use Metro, luckily there are programs that re-implement the original Start Menu, like http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/ for example.
    Oh fuck that. I'm not paying $40 so I can install 3rd party programs to use what should already be in the operating system.

I hope Microsoft realizes people like options when it comes to Win9
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 4Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)