1. Post #41
    l l
    lmao
    Dennab
    December 2011
    10,758 Posts
    blizzard is hurting themselves by denying an entire audience by denying them their product solely they because that said audience uses an certain OS with supportive software to help run the game

what made Starcraft 1-2 and Diablo 1-2 (all able to run in Windows, Linux with thirdparty software, and Mac) so great is that you can run them on a computer mainly composed of a just a block of wood and a piece of string, because they're all wonderfully optimized for the mass market, and there's a huge userbase from the Linux community itself
    Why would a company do something like this though? All their recent decisions regarding D3 are quite "out-there".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    11,029 Posts
    it's still worth buying though, right?
    Get torchlight 2, it's made by the people who made the GOOD diablo games, not the people who worked on WoW.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 6Agree Agree x 4 (list)

3. Post #43
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,808 Posts
    but its linux users, they would have to find free lawyers
    Come on guys don't be harsh on him! I'm real big on Linux and even I thought this was really clever!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

4. Post #44
    hey
    August 2006
    6,106 Posts
    Why would a company do something like this though? All their recent decisions regarding D3 are quite "out-there".
    your guess is as good as mine; my guess is that the software designers at Blizzard are in cloud cuckoo land

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    11,029 Posts
    your guess is as good as mine; my guess is that the software designers at Blizzard are in cloud cuckoo land
    It's not a subscription based game, thus they don't give a shit about you after release, same with the rampant maphacking on SC2 ladder.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

6. Post #46
    November 2007
    11,808 Posts
    Really it seems to me like it could have been a simple error on their part, and that WINE users, cruel as it is to say, would make up a complete minority of the Diablo population and as such wouldn't be that much of a concern to Blizzard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

7. Post #47
    hey
    August 2006
    6,106 Posts
    lol bro don't be a sperglord, if you dont play wit friends den you gotta be some kinda nerd
    wow uhm who cares dude

i hope you're being sarcastic
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

8. Post #48
    wow uhm who cares dude

i hope you're being sarcastic
    Seriously? I consciously tried to make that as obvious as possible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,495 Posts
    Come on guys don't be harsh on him! I'm real big on Linux and even I thought this was really clever!
    Actually, you did get me to look back at his post and rate it funny.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

10. Post #50

August 2011
    5,969 Posts
    It's not a subscription based game, thus they don't give a shit about you after release, same with the rampant maphacking on SC2 ladder.
    I don't recall having to deal with any maphackers in SC2. Unless it wasn't obvious at all when it happened.

11. Post #51
    Master Cheese Tactician
    August 2011
    994 Posts
    Get torchwood 2, it's made by the people who made the GOOD diablo games, not the people who worked on WoW.
    but diablo 3 is still fun to play right? I might get it when it's on sale.

oh well. I'm still super hyped for baldur's gate EH :D

12. Post #52
    If clothing didn't exist and everyone walked around with their penises fully erect I would have all the bitches.
    May 2009
    23,910 Posts
    but diablo 3 is still fun to play right? I might get it when it's on sale.

oh well. I'm still super hyped for baldur's gate EH :D
    Only thing that's worth doing on there is selling in-game crap to rich dumbfucks to earn dosh.

13. Post #53
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    the problem is, LIKELY, Warden and the fact that they can't tell between legitimate cheating and the API's WINE uses.

stop pretending that Blizzard employees sat in a board-room one day and said "FUCK LINUX and everyone who uses them!", that's extremely dramatic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    11,029 Posts
    I don't recall having to deal with any maphackers in SC2. Unless it wasn't obvious at all.
    They're mainly in the top two/three leagues, since it's kinda hard NOT to lose if you can see what your enemy is doing.

Edited:

the problem is, LIKELY, Warden and the fact that they can't tell between legitimate cheating and the API's WINE uses.

stop pretending that Blizzard employees sat in a board-room one day and said "FUCK LINUX and everyone who uses them!", that's extremely dramatic.
    WINE uses windows API, it is not an emulator.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,495 Posts

I don't think anybody here thought that. I'm just amazed that:
    1) They didn't think to test for this.
    2) They didn't think to fix this.
    3) They decided to treat these people as if they actually cheated.
    4) This same system in other games doesn't do this.
    5) Wait, why did they force this shitty intrusive DRM on us again?

-edit-
    Now that I looked at it more, I realize it's probably just a few guys trying to get out of a cheating ban. Maybe. Seriously, this is a perfect example of "Nothing is true."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #56
    Wine is not a motherfucking emulator.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    11,029 Posts
    Wine Is Not a Motherfucking Emulator.
    WINME?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Artistic Artistic x 12Funny Funny x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #58
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    WINE uses windows API, it is not an emulator.
    i didn't say it was an emulator...

WINE doesn't use stock windows API's, it doesn't emulate the API's it supplies its own alternative. they are reverse engineered DLL's and WINE provides its own kernel as well.

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    11,029 Posts
    i didn't say it was an emulator...

WINE doesn't use stock windows API's, it doesn't emulate the API's it supplies its own alternative. they are reverse engineered DLL's and WINE provides its own kernel as well.
    I've been up for over 24 hours and I assumed, sorry 'bout that, looking at it that way, yeah it is possible that it's a memory read thing that caused this, but you can't disagree that it's unacceptable to perma ban people for this.

20. Post #60
    November 2007
    11,808 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 26Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #61
    l l
    lmao
    Dennab
    December 2011
    10,758 Posts
    Wine is not a motherfucking emulator.
    agreed
    I've been up for over 24 hours and I assumed, sorry 'bout that, looking at it that way, yeah it is possible that it's a memory read thing that caused this, but you can't disagree that it's unacceptable to perma ban people for this.
    go to sleep

ill cuddle you if its absolutely necessary
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 3Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    11,029 Posts
    Bashiok posted:
    We’ve extensively tested for false positive situations, including replicating system setups for those who have posted claiming they were banned unfairly. We’ve not found any situations that could produce a false positive, have found that the circumstances for which they were banned were clear and accurate, and we are extremely confident in our findings.

Playing the game on Linux, although not officially supported, will not get you banned – cheating will.

Take it with a grain of salt, bashiok is the todd howard of blizzard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #63
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    likely some update happened or some isolated glitch somewhere stuck its ugly head out. not everyone using WINE got a ban and this has happened before with Cedega, which got fixed after a while.

people can't expect Blizzard to fix something like this within 9 HOURS, i'm pretty sure any change in code requires a week of corporate fumbling.

this stuff happened to Valve too and no-one decried the end of civilization then:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_A..._.26_rationale
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    11,029 Posts
    My problem isn't that this bug banned people, my problem is that they're refusing to unban it and is going into full damage control, as someone on the d3 forums said, "we booted up D3 on Wine and it didn't mess up that one time so everyone else is a liar"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

25. Post #65
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    3,193 Posts
    "Won't be lifted" my ass. WoW had the exact same problem once, and they lifted the bans. Jesus Christ.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #66
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,482 Posts

I'm willing to accept that it's a legitimate bug. I find it more than likely.

The problem is that Blizzard employees, sitting in the board-board room, aren't doing jack shit to fix it.

Edited:

"Won't be lifted" my ass. WoW had the exact same problem once, and they lifted the bans. Jesus Christ.
    It's either that or their lawyers are gonna be getting a lot of work.

Edited:

Well the good news is that people are beginning to wake the fuck up and are realizing that this always online DRM might not be the best thing ever, so Blizzard is going to be put under a tremendous amount of pressure. Either they change their tune and fix their shit or they refuse to do it and lose a lot of face.

I can only see victory coming from this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #67
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    The problem is that Blizzard employees, sitting in the board-board room, aren't doing jack shit to fix it.
    uh it's not even working hours.

Edited:

My problem isn't that this bug banned people, my problem is that they're refusing to unban it and is going into full damage control, as someone on the d3 forums said, "we booted up D3 on Wine and it didn't mess up that one time so everyone else is a liar"
    except that's not what they said. that's just you being extremely dramatic and putting your own spin on it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

28. Post #68
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    5,679 Posts
    Nerds play Diablo, nerds use Linux

Do the math, Blizzard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 17Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #69
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,987 Posts
    It's a multiplayer game, but the spergs keep trying to convince themselves they can be antisocial and play it alone.
    Why do people keep going on about it being more "social" because you are forced to play online? Not all of us are huge basement dwelling neckbeards that need to get their daily human interaction through a video game. I don't need to be social when I'm in front of my computer and I often don't want to since I already am social enough when I'm outside.
    Especially when this "social" (again, laughing at people calling other "antisocial" because they don't want to play with others in a video game) leads to all these problems (bans, shit DRM and whatnot).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

30. Post #70
    July 2010
    3,956 Posts
    Torchlight 2 and Path of Exile both look like they will be better games and even higher quality than Diablo 3.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #71
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    3,193 Posts
    Jesus. 'Session hacking' all over again.

Blue post re: Linux under WINE - "Playing the game on Linux, although not officially supported, will not get you banned – cheating will."

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5978861022?page=21#402 posted:
    We’ve extensively tested for false positive situations, including replicating system setups for those who have posted claiming they were banned unfairly. We’ve not found any situations that could produce a false positive, have found that the circumstances for which they were banned were clear and accurate, and we are extremely confident in our findings.

Playing the game on Linux, although not officially supported, will not get you banned – cheating will.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 4 (list)

32. Post #72
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    11,029 Posts
    Someone needs to make this with bashiok

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

33. Post #73
    Gold Member

July 2006
    1,965 Posts
    I think this was blown way out of proportion. There are exactly three dudes at the Wine website saying that they were banned for using Wine. Guess who made the thread on Battle.net?

Did anyone actually consider that they could be actually cheating? There are tons of Wine users who haven't been banned and can play just fine.

34. Post #74
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,769 Posts
    I don't know why I should believe some random dudes on the internet more or less than Blizzard.

After all it could also be a new method to cheat while using wine and now they are trying to cover it up.

I played the game and so far got 60 fun hours out of it, now it gets a bit stale but that's just me complaining about how I can't find Items I can sell for 250 €.

All in all I probably overplayed it a bit, I haven't even tried more than 2 characters.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

35. Post #75
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,178 Posts
    This thread reminds me of the SC2 trainer one awhile back. At least it only took 2 pages to figure out a few people where blowing things out of proportion again

36. Post #76
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    17,986 Posts
    Diablo III is the very first Blizzard game I bought and plan to buy. There's just way too much shit going from blizzard about this, even regardless of this news.

I've already pretty much entirely stopped buying activision games (because most of them suck), so yeah.

37. Post #77
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    20,326 Posts
    A friend of mine just bought Diablo 3. He got the Digital copy. He couldn't see/pick up any items I dropped when we were in a party, nor could he trade with me, or use the Auction House, and it was like that until last night. 3 days. I got the Digital Copy and never had the 72 hour restriction but now, since the last patch, everyone will have it.

Blizzard is just being fucking stupid with this game
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

38. Post #78
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,769 Posts
    I got the digital copy and everything went smooth as butter except for the error 37 debacle now what do our two litle stories say about everyone else?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Germany Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

39. Post #79
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    11,029 Posts
    I got the digital copy and everything went smooth as butter except for the error 37 debacle now what do our two litle stories say about everyone else?
    I really hope you know that there's several unix based OS's, it seems it's only happening on some, especially since it's not happening on mac.

40. Post #80
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,981 Posts
    Hey do you guys remember when there was the big misinformation flood about how playing public games would get your account hacked through session spoofing and that authenticators were useless? And then we learned that all the accounts that were hacked didn't have authenticators?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)