1. Post #1
    July 2012
    4 Posts
    I've had my motorcycle license since I was 17 years old, and I put off getting a bike because of other priorities (school, car etc.) I finally have a good ~$1000 of spending money and am interested in buying a motorcycle. I've done quite a bit of research and have found that 250cc-500cc is a good engine displacement to have on a first bike. So far I've found a plethora of mid-80's motorcycles within my price range. I'm looking at a Honda CB450 Nighthawk and a Kawasaki KZ440 at the moment and want some input on these and other bikes.

To make this thread more beneficial to others looking at getting a motorcycle it'd be good to hear some personal suggestions as well, like what your first bike was, and what you'd recommend to a beginner.

What should I look out for on mid-80's bikes as far as general wear is concerned? I've noticed that carburetors tend to need cleaning on 30 year old bikes, but what else should I watch out for.

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,323 Posts
    I'd suggest a Ninja 250 if you want a 'sports bike.' Honestly though, I had my ninja 250 for a couple months and I was ready for something bigger. I think anyone with a shred of self control can handle something bigger if you just don't fly down every road. I think I could have gone right to my cbr 600 and been okay.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,333 Posts
    I went big and got a 1000cc vtwin, It was perfect for me and I didn't want more. Any less and I wouldn't have been satisfied.

4. Post #4
    Fight until death, shoot until empty.

November 2009
    15,448 Posts
    My budget is a bit bigger (2k) and i am still looking for a cycle.

6' tall so its gotta fit!

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,323 Posts
    I can honestly recommend that as long as you keep a good head on your shoulders and don't weigh 100 pounds a 600 will be fine to start with.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,948 Posts
    While a Supersport 600 can be learned on, which I almost did, I got a 2003 suzuki sv650 and it felt pretty damn fast the first time I rode it.

The power of a SS 600 can hinder your learning because it will scare you, and you will be apprehensive of twisting that throttle. A slightly less powerful bike means you can learn faster and be faster.

A confident sv650 rider will be faster than a gsxr600 rider who isn't as confident.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    6,647 Posts
    While I've only ridden a few bikes (which included my friend's Honda 599) I would say for someone with no experience that an I4 600 would be too much.

It's not about being able to control the bike in general, but controlling it in emergencies. 600 supersports have great brakes and very good throttle response. In a panic situation, a wrong move with either of those can throw you off in a heartbeat.

While a 250 is a great choice, I wouldn't limit yourself to just those. Keep an eye out for 500cc twins or even 650cc twins. Both of those have a very linear powerband and should be more manageable as a beginner.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,948 Posts
    Yeah, 250 would suck, I've had my 650 twin for around 3 weeks now and it's starting to feel like a moped.

Another thing is that a 650 twin is that it's probably the fastest your going to get without having to worry about pulling the front wheel up. The only times I've pulled mine up is hard shifting into second and an intentional clutch-up.

9. Post #9

November 2009
    15,448 Posts
    So... what?

I am looking for a bike that I can learn, commute, and have some fun on. It doesnt need to go 100 but I dont want one that looks like a damn moped or dirtbike

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    6,647 Posts
    If you want a sportbike styled starter bike, look for either something in the 500cc class (Suzuki GS500 or Ninja 500 aka EX500) or in the 650cc class (Suzuki GSX650F, Suzuki SV650, Ninja 650R) if you don't want to buy a 250. I'd say go to a dealer that has some of these, sit on them and feel which one you like. For example, the GSX650F is a huge bike IMO and I'd hate riding one, while an SV650 and my GS500 are very comfortable for my height and build.

11. Post #11

November 2009
    15,448 Posts
    Did a search on my local craigslist these two are the only ones that I find to be 'reasonable'

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...121614445.html

http://mankato.craigslist.org/mcy/3119075288.html

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    6,647 Posts
    I'd jump on that SV. Should be able to talk him down a little in price, but I think it'd be worth it to have a newer bike.

Also, the SV is fuel injected vs. the Ninja's carbs, and you don't want to deal with carb problems. Sometimes it's worth it to stretch your budget for something with some better quality.

Edit: Also, I'd recommend anyone who's reading this who wants to buy a used bike should read this:

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    5,665 Posts
    i hear KLE500s are good

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,439 Posts
    Hayabusa with extended swingarm + fat reartyre for extra control during cornering

15. Post #15
    November 2010
    880 Posts
    Hayabusa with extended swingarm + fat reartyre for extra control during cornering
    haha yea long swing arms and fat tires are great for turns.

u know with control anything can be a starter bike.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    May 2005
    2,146 Posts
    Yeah, 250 would suck, I've had my 650 twin for around 3 weeks now and it's starting to feel like a moped.

Another thing is that a 650 twin is that it's probably the fastest your going to get without having to worry about pulling the front wheel up. The only times I've pulled mine up is hard shifting into second and an intentional clutch-up.
    Well that could also depend on the gearing, my 525 can easily do wheelie up to gear 4, it was actually difficult not to do wheelies when i started on that bike, but thats probably due to its lightweight.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)