1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    6,946 Posts
    So this trailer recently came out.

When her child goes missing, a mother looks to unravel the legend of the Tall Man, an entity who allegedly abducts children.
    IMDB
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1658837/

Looks pretty terrible...But man a Slenderman movie!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    You had me at meat tornado.
    June 2008
    5,560 Posts
    So the french title of The Tall Man is...

The Secret?

Awesome translating job right here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    June 2009
    3,640 Posts
    I don't think it's a translation, but rather people fucking with the titles.

It happens all the time.

Look at Fists of Fury. The original title was The Big Boss.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,301 Posts
    He didn't seem that tall to me. The movie should be called The Moderately Portly Man of Average Height.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 10Agree Agree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,321 Posts
    The big twist at the end is that the "Tall Man" is just some 6'8" pedophile.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,272 Posts
    Seems like another kidnapping movie to me.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,198 Posts
    I have seen Slender Man stuff. This is not Slender Man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

8. Post #8
    Sometimes I put my nose in my dog's butt and I furiously squeeze his belly until he farts.
    May 2009
    2,349 Posts
    Yeah, there was some interview about this a while ago and the director said that it has nothing to do with Slender Man besides child abduction

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    17,350 Posts
    This actually reminds me of the Silent Hill movie:

-Decrepit/dying mining town
    -Evil entity terrorising the town
    -Stars Jodelle Ferland

All it needs now is Sean Bean being completely irrelevant and we're set
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

10. Post #10
    ?
    January 2006
    5,151 Posts
    If Sean Bean is in it, then we all know how it'll end
       he'll die   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    This is -- excuse me -- a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
    August 2008
    8,759 Posts
    Thought this was going to be about Phantasm.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    July 2010
    4,278 Posts
    It's about an (average sized) guy who kidnaps people.

Saying this is slenderman is like saying March of the penguins is like Happy feet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 8Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    5,844 Posts
    The dood wasn't tall enough to be slenderman, didn't have long enough arms either. Looks like an alright film. Will probably rent it when it comes to dvd

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,408 Posts
    So the french title of The Tall Man is...

The Secret?

Awesome translating job right here.
    You should read some of the old translations of English film titles into Danish.

Clint Eastwood's The Rookie was translated into (and I translate) "Cold lead and warm beatings". Granted, it doesn't sound exactly as retarded in Danish since both are expressions you can use here, but it has nothing to do with the original title.

Thankfully they don't do this anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    17,350 Posts
    You should read some of the old translations of English film titles into Danish.

Clint Eastwood's The Rookie was translated into (and I translate) "Cold lead and warm beatings". Granted, it doesn't sound exactly as retarded in Danish since both are expressions you can use here, but it has nothing to do with the original title.

Thankfully they don't do this anymore.
    In places like Hungary the title for the film Alien translated into things like: "The Eighth Passenger: Death"

16. Post #16
    Ask me about my Marvel/DC fetish
    May 2010
    17,736 Posts

Look at Fists of Fury. The original title was The Big Boss.
    ?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    I'll RUB MY TALENT OUT ALL OVER YOU
    November 2011
    4,057 Posts
    It doesn't even look like slender man.
    If your going to make a Slender Man Movie, make it Slender Man.

18. Post #18
    June 2010
    4,367 Posts
    Looks more like Butcherface

19. Post #19
    April 2011
    2,871 Posts
    Same idea as Slender and they make it look completely fucking horrible.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,602 Posts
    In places like Hungary the title for the film Alien translated into things like: "The Eighth Passenger: Death"
    To be honest, though, titles like that actually make a bit of sense when you remember the plot of the movies, and in a way "The Eighth Passenger" is a better name for a movie than "Alien" (in an artistic sense, that is). But then there's times when the translated name makes no goddamn sense whatsoever, like how germany once renamed a few Godzilla films by calling him Frankenstein or Frankenstein's Monster (example: Godzilla vs. Gigan was renamed Frankenstein's Hell Brood).

Back on topic, though, this really doesn't seem that interesting. I was never one for the Slenderman Mythos, but this is not Slenderman. This is Kinda-Tall-Pedophile-Man.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,301 Posts
    I took one for the team and saw this, so you don't have to.

It's not what you think, it's not a horror film really. Abduction of kids is involved but not in the way that the trailer and other publicity make you think. It's actually an interesting idea, but it's poorly done.

Jessica Biel is not bad, but she's not given a lot to work with here. This is one of those movies you want to fast forward to the good parts but by the time you reach the end of the movie you're still fast forwarding...

22. Post #22
    September 2011
    305 Posts
    this barely links to the slender man at all. its just vaguely similar.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    3,798 Posts
    not tall enough 0/10 movie
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Italy Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    June 2010
    4,367 Posts
    I took one for the team and saw this, so you don't have to.

It's not what you think, it's not a horror film really. Abduction of kids is involved but not in the way that the trailer and other publicity make you think. It's actually an interesting idea, but it's poorly done.

Jessica Biel is not bad, but she's not given a lot to work with here. This is one of those movies you want to fast forward to the good parts but by the time you reach the end of the movie you're still fast forwarding...
    Not a horror film really? Is it like Mothman Prophecies then? (I LOVE that movie but this one looks like shit)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,301 Posts
    Mothman Prophecies was creepy as hell in some parts, Tall Man isn't like that at all. It's more of a crime/thriller. The problem is that it is so busy trying to trick you into thinking it's a horror film that when it shifts to what it's really about your reaction is not "OMG I didn't see that coming!" it's more like "Huh? What? What's this now?"

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,543 Posts
    That's a hoodie, not a suit.