1. Post #1
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    Pretty much what the title says. I believe two wrongs almost always make a right. Here's some examples:

1. So one time I was being called "fatass" in a gym class. I tried to ignore it and even told the person to stop. A few days later after I had finally gotten tired of it, I told him to call me it again. Naturally, he did. Hence, I beat him up. A lot of you might think, "I bet that didn't solve anything". Problem is, it did. I got suspended for the rest of the day and he got suspended for five days. The name-calling stopped. Hell, he even wanted to be my friend (fucking weird, I know). So with the logic, "two wrongs don't make a right", I suppose what I did was wrong? I don't see how. If the name-calling stopped, it should be considered a right if anything. Had I had not done what I did, this would've continued and it wouldn't have suprised me if I kept on getting picked on in high school.

2. I guess people who say two wrongs don't make a right also think murderers shouldn't go to prison. For example, if Man A killed Man B and Man A went to prison for the rest of his life, you're still condemning Man A to a life of what some might call hell. You're still comitting a wrong act for sending Man A to prison. But doesn't Man A kind of deserve it for what he did to Man B? Yes, he does. The previous example works the same way.

I'd like to know what you guys think about this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

2. Post #2
    Dennab
    May 2012
    338 Posts
    Three rights make a left.

(User was banned for this post ("This is not debating." - Megafan))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #3
    August 2009
    9,498 Posts
    Just because two negatives make a positive doesn't mean that two wrongs will always make a right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

4. Post #4
    February 2011
    2,196 Posts
    No, a bad deed never justifies another. None of the examples you gave are bad.

Example 1- You're not wrong in defending yourself, psychological harm is still a way of doing damage, you just stood your ground, and everyone who tells you otherwise is probably not thinking right. Every man has the rights to defending himself should they feel like it.
    Example 2- A person that doesn't know how to live in society should be taken away from it, as to protect people. Now, the problem is in the system that doesn't work on these people as in to make em' ready to go back to society, instead, they just throw them inside a place where they learn how to be better criminals.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Brazil Show Events

5. Post #5
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,260 Posts
    the answer to this debate would only be defined by your ability to constitute what is objectively 'wrong'
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    1,910 Posts
    the answer to this debate would only be defined by your ability to constitute what is objectively 'wrong'
    pretty much this

but I'll try a simple example using killing as a pretty much universal example of something that's considered wrong

if a man kills your dog, so you kill his dog, does that make it right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

7. Post #7
    Dennab
    December 2009
    6,575 Posts
    "Aw man, I killed one guy.. better kill another to make up for it."

This proverb doesn't mean that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_wrongs_make_a_right

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    1,910 Posts
    "Aw man, I killed one guy.. better kill another to make up for it."

This proverb doesn't mean that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_wrongs_make_a_right
    actually according to your link that's exactly what that means

when it is assumed that if one wrong is committed, another wrong will cancel it out.

9. Post #9
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    No, a bad deed never justifies another. None of the examples you gave are bad.

Example 1- You're not wrong in defending yourself, psychological harm is still a way of doing damage, you just stood your ground, and everyone who tells you otherwise is probably not thinking right. Every man has the rights to defending himself should they feel like it.
    Example 2- A person that doesn't know how to live in society should be taken away from it, as to protect people. Now, the problem is in the system that doesn't work on these people as in to make em' ready to go back to society, instead, they just throw them inside a place where they learn how to be better criminals.
    Some may consider them wrong. I guess one's interpretation of what is wrong will be different from another's. Should've thought about that.

Edited:

pretty much this

but I'll try a simple example using killing as a pretty much universal example of something that's considered wrong

if a man kills your dog, so you kill his dog, does that make it right?
    I would say no because the dogs had nothing to do with it. If Man A kills Man B's dog, Man B should do something that won't harm anything else in the process. It's only wrong when you decide to hurt others to hurt the person that hurt you.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    3,256 Posts
    Hell no.

Kill someone = Wrong.

Raping the corpse = Wrong.

Point out one thing RIGHT about any of that.

11. Post #11
    September 2007
    3,238 Posts
    In most justice systems they do!

Justice is just another word for petty revenge.

12. Post #12
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    Hell no.

Kill someone = Wrong.

Raping the corpse = Wrong.

Point out one thing RIGHT about any of that.
    True. But I was talking moreso about the kind of stuff posted above. I guess the subject is very vague.

13. Post #13
    September 2007
    3,238 Posts
    True. But I was talking moreso about the kind of stuff posted above. I guess the subject is very vague.
    Two wrongs never make a right, but it's not a binary issue, what was posted in the op is an example of something that is neither strictly right or wrong.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    1,910 Posts
    Some may consider them wrong. I guess one's interpretation of what is wrong will be different from another's. Should've thought about that.

Edited:

I would say no because the dogs had nothing to do with it. If Man A kills Man B's dog, Man B should do something that won't harm anything else in the process. It's only wrong when you decide to hurt others to hurt the person that hurt you.
    what's an example of something that's wrong but doesn't hurt anybody?

15. Post #15
    Dennab
    December 2009
    6,575 Posts
    actually according to your link that's exactly what that means
    another wrong from another person.

Because he did this, I get to do this. That's what it means.

16. Post #16

July 2012
    3 Posts
    If you think of this from a mathematical view, if you multiply to negatives (wrongs) you get a possitive, if you use multiply positive (good) act it will ultimately create a possitive. The problem come when a negative act is followed but a possitive or visa Vera it will have a negative outcome.
    So from this I say that it does create a right, as long as the second wrong is the correct wrong, and not making it worse. But obviously and wrong will do damage along the way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,863 Posts
    I think that if you do something bad and then do something else bad to make the overall situation better it doesn't change the fact that the initial bad thing happened.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    18,992 Posts
    it doesn't necessarily make a wrong, but it often does make a hypocrite and it bares a double-standard equally often.

it really depends on whether your idea of "wrong" is influenced more by the ethical side of something or by the objective facts. if the latter, then two wrongs can make a right, but in all other instances it makes a wrong.

19. Post #19
    Tabasco Lord
    September 2005
    9,188 Posts
    the sweet taste of revenge sure feels right
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

20. Post #20
    Dennab
    May 2012
    39 Posts
    no writes can make a rong

(User was banned for this post ("This is not debating." - Megafan))

21. Post #21
    May 2010
    697 Posts
    the sweet taste of revenge sure feels right

It depends though. There's an old story about a man who's entire family was killed. He went home, opened the door, and saw the mess of what they left behind. His wife and kids murdered brutally by savage criminals. The man, despite moral confusion and depression, goes out to get revenge and kill his family's killers. He does so. In the end, he felt like nothing was accomplished. He couldn't get his family back. Were the bastards that murdered his family rightfully deprived of their lives? Sure, but he didn't change anything. What good happened? He continued being depressed, drank his life away, and finally committed suicide. So, maybe he was right. But he didn't fix anything. Actually made things even worse; why take the chances?

Like I said it just depends. Defending yourself and committing another wrong against someone who's wronged you are totally different. If you throw a fist, I'll throw a fist back. Shoot at me, I'm shooting back. But if I get jumped by some thugs, seeing as I'm outnumbered and get my ass beat - why would I waste the time to round up my crew and jump them back? It's done and over. I really didn't have much to lose, maybe thirty bucks but hey.

22. Post #22
    March 2011
    641 Posts
    Pretty much what the title says. I believe two wrongs almost always make a right. Here's some examples:

1. So one time I was being called "fatass" in a gym class. I tried to ignore it and even told the person to stop. A few days later after I had finally gotten tired of it, I told him to call me it again. Naturally, he did. Hence, I beat him up. A lot of you might think, "I bet that didn't solve anything". Problem is, it did. I got suspended for the rest of the day and he got suspended for five days. The name-calling stopped. Hell, he even wanted to be my friend (fucking weird, I know). So with the logic, "two wrongs don't make a right", I suppose what I did was wrong? I don't see how. If the name-calling stopped, it should be considered a right if anything. Had I had not done what I did, this would've continued and it wouldn't have suprised me if I kept on getting picked on in high school.

2. I guess people who say two wrongs don't make a right also think murderers shouldn't go to prison. For example, if Man A killed Man B and Man A went to prison for the rest of his life, you're still condemning Man A to a life of what some might call hell. You're still comitting a wrong act for sending Man A to prison. But doesn't Man A kind of deserve it for what he did to Man B? Yes, he does. The previous example works the same way.

Dude I think you're taking a casual saying that mothers say to calm their children down when they're in the middle of a sibling rivalry or something to the extreme.

Chill.

I think every situation needs to be categorized and analysed separately. Considering wrong and right change based on context.

Trying to argue "two wrongs make a right" by itself is a hilariously abstract topic and a futile effort.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    7,146 Posts
    Well, it seems deeply engraved in human psychology that revenge is a pretty popular subject.

It's been around for years, in many parts of the world, ranging from Scotland "None shall provoke me with impunity", and Japan's honour system that involves revenge killings, which are called katakiuchi, and all the way back to Hammurabi's code, "an eye for an eye."

In a sense it is like you're being invaded, and the best and most convenient course of action is of course to return the favour, it's basic human nature.

You could say 'two wrongs don't make a right' is morally wrong, but it is basic human nature that is actively working against the reverse.

My opinion is that I could be on the moral high ground and say that two wrongs don't make a right, but my basic, human instinct, that is incredibly hard to repress, says otherwise.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events

24. Post #24
    Nyan~:3
    December 2009
    5,791 Posts
    I'd say killing is never acceptable, so if we're talking revenge here i could agree that a certain degree of revenge is acceptable, like hitting someone back. But to kill someone in an act of revenge is too much.

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." - Mahatma Gandhi
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    7,146 Posts
    I'd say killing is never acceptable, so if we're talking revenge here i could agree that a certain degree of revenge is acceptable, like hitting someone back. But to kill someone in an act of revenge is too much.

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." - Mahatma Gandhi

So you condone revenge to a degree, but the problem is that you believe that it should stop at 'hitting someone back', but 'killing someone is too much'.

You can see a serious problem here, everyone has different beliefs and values, someone might think 'hitting someone back' is too much, whereas others wouldn't bat an eyelid to murder someone's family.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events

26. Post #26
    May 2011
    34 Posts
    There is no wrong and no right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events

27. Post #27
    December 2009
    5,791 Posts
    Well, in most cases hitting someone back in a fight won't get them killed or severely hurt whereas stabbing someone or actually trying to kill them for something is taking something way too far.

I kind of understand the feeling that you might want to kill someone that shot your mother/sister/brother or whoever or whatever you hold dear, as I my self have had the urge to strike back or in some cases i even wanted to kill a guy in my class.

But the thing is when something is outside a certain limit of what have been done you might need to end it without hitting back by simply walking away and deal with it by yourself psychological.

28. Post #28
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    Well, in most cases hitting someone back in a fight won't get them killed or severely hurt whereas stabbing someone or actually trying to kill them for something is taking something way too far.

I kind of understand the feeling that you might want to kill someone that shot your mother/sister/brother or whoever or whatever you hold dear, as I my self have had the urge to strike back or in some cases i even wanted to kill a guy in my class.

But the thing is when something is outside a certain limit of what have been done you might need to end it without hitting back by simply walking away and deal with it by yourself psychological.
    I disagree. If someone kills my mother, I'm gonna kill them back. I might try to take the 'good' route and just let the authorities do their thing, but where do you go when that doesn't work? This all assumes I know who the killer is, but evidence was lacking or some random phony court bullshit occured and the killer gets to go free.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,976 Posts
    So you condone revenge to a degree, but the problem is that you believe that it should stop at 'hitting someone back', but 'killing someone is too much'.

You can see a serious problem here, everyone has different beliefs and values, someone might think 'hitting someone back' is too much, whereas others wouldn't bat an eyelid to murder someone's family.
    I would say that the difference between hitting somebody back and killing somebody is that hitting somebody back is self defense (unless it wasn't called on). Killing somebody in revenge isn't going to defend or solve your issues. Just because revenge is basic human nature doesn't make it correct. Not all evolutionary steps serve a purpose, after all.

Edited:

I disagree. If someone kills my mother, I'm gonna kill them back. I might try to take the 'good' route and just let the authorities do their thing, but where do you go when that doesn't work? This all assumes I know who the killer is, but evidence was lacking or some random phony court bullshit occured and the killer gets to go free.
    Does killing the person who killed your mother bring her back?

I've never had a family member killed by another being, but I don't believe taking a person's life because they took one of your loved one's is justified. It won't do society any more good than harm. The best bet would be to rehabilitate them.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    481 Posts

He wanted to be your friend because you showed dominance over him.

This whole debate has been going on since the moment we first became sentient. "An eye for an eye" and so on. It's one reason (among others) why people disagree with the death penalty, and why some are for it.

You can't really answer this since it's based on morals, and morals change with everyone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

31. Post #31
    January 2011
    2,009 Posts
    What point is there trying to stop violence using violence?

Killing a murderer does not undo their crime, it only adds another to the tally.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    7,199 Posts
    What point is there trying to stop violence using violence?

Killing a murderer does not undo their crime, it only adds another to the tally.
    If one manages to kill a murderer and then manage to not become a criminal themselves, it breaks the cycle of violence and removes a criminal from society.

33. Post #33
    December 2009
    5,791 Posts
    But if you murder, you're a criminal. you cannot escape that.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    7,199 Posts
    But if you murder, you're a criminal. you cannot escape that.
    But if you kill someone in self defense, as capitol punishment, as an accident in some cases, or as an enemy combatant in war time it is not technically murder, depending on the definitions in the political region in which you live. Capitol punishment being the death penalty, in this instance.

35. Post #35
    January 2011
    2,009 Posts
    But if you kill someone in self defense, as capitol punishment, as an accident in some cases, or as an enemy combatant in war time it is not technically murder, depending on the definitions in the political region in which you live. Capitol punishment being the death penalty, in this instance.
    Since when did laws have to do with morals?

36. Post #36
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    Does killing the person who killed your mother bring her back?

I've never had a family member killed by another being, but I don't believe taking a person's life because they took one of your loved one's is justified. It won't do society any more good than harm. The best bet would be to rehabilitate them.
    Rehabilitation? Seriously? Would you want the person who murdered your family to walk free after a few years in prison? No. Also, no, it wouldn't bring her back. But it might bring a person to some sort of peace knowing that the person who killed your mother is dead. And how does it do any harm to society if I kill a murderer? I should be given a gold medal - not life in prison.

Edited:

Never. The law is about the most immoral thing in my opinion.

"Hey, we know you killed this guy because he raped and murdered your whole family and then tore them into pieces, but just to make sure you learned your lesson, we're going to give you life in prison!"

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    You're trying to justify your beating somebody up for no reason outside your own fault. Two wrongs don't make a right. They make two wrongs, they're separate things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events

38. Post #38
    January 2011
    2,009 Posts
    Rehabilitation? Seriously? Would you want the person who murdered your family to walk free after a few years in prison? No. Also, no, it wouldn't bring her back. But it might bring a person to some sort of peace knowing that the person who killed your mother is dead. And how does it do any harm to society if I kill a murderer? I should be given a gold medal - not life in prison.
    What makes you different from a murderer when you kill someone? Why are you oh so very special? Is it because you're "justified" in killing them? Clearly the murderer felt they were "justified" in killing whoever for whatever reason.

Vengeance is not a form of justice, it only serves your own selfish needs for closure. Using violence does nothing to solve the problem of violence. Taking a life unnecessarily, even with "reason", is still taking a life when it is not needed. A murderer does not instantly become non-human when they commit murder.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    7,199 Posts
    I hadn't realized it was this thread, my apologies.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    And how does it do any harm to society if I kill a murderer? I should be given a gold medal - not life in prison.
    Murdering a murderer makes you a murderer. Would you want to be murdered for that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events