1. Post #1
    January 2011
    275 Posts
    I found that when you Google "how does a 3d engine work" or something similar, there is not one site that explains from the ground up. Everyone starts somewhere in the middle and assumes the reader knows quite a lot before looking up the subject. They also seem to be more concerned about explaining the graphics pipeline than what actually makes the whole process tick. This tutorial series is not on how to make an efficient and fast graphics engine with shading and the works, it is simply a wire frame drawing program that will take in text files as models. With this series I just hope to make a lot of things that used to completely confuse me a lot clearer.

Tell me what you guys think, I don't like them that much yet, so I hope you guys can tell me what I'm doing wrong (or right). Tell me if I'm not being clear on things, or if I have to go into more detail. The next set of videos will hopefully be up very soon.

Sorry I didn't see that the coded was cut out of the info text, there are now links to it.
    If you guys think I should host the entire project file, I'll do it.

Seccond one

Third one

The rest is on my channel. Go there, it's not safe here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Arab Emirates Show Events Winner Winner x 4Useful Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    This isn't a series on how to develop a 3D engine, rather a very incomplete software rasterizer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,506 Posts
    EDIT: Okay, this post is bloated so I'll just delete it and summarize.

Making a software renderer is a cool learning exercise. However, it was decided a few decades ago that using graphics cards to do this for you is a better idea in every possible respect. In short: just use OpenGL. (or Direct3D)

4. Post #4

January 2012
    68 Posts
    I would love to learn how to make a 3d engine, I made a lot of 2d games, I think its time to learn 3d.

Will you teach people how to use OpenGL, colisions, etc?

5. Post #5
    June 2009
    425 Posts
    Collisions+1

6. Post #6
    January 2011
    275 Posts
    I know this is reinventing the wheel, but this is not so you can go rewrite what doesn't need rewriting, this is so you have at least some idea what goes on when you send a command to the graphics card. When I started learning about these things I couldn't care less about developing a game, or making it efficient, i just wanted to know how it worked. You can make amazing things if you know openGL and not once have to know how a line is drawn, so this is solely something to satisfy curiosity.
    I know it's called a rasterizer, but people who will benefit from this video don't know the difference.

I will handle very simple collisions in the future, I just want something people can play with first.

7. Post #7
    December 2009
    5,004 Posts
    Holy shit i dont know what it is but your voice or the music or something makes this video VERY interesting.

Edited:

Subscribed

8. Post #8
    January 2011
    275 Posts
    Holy shit i dont know what it is but your voice or the music or something makes this video VERY interesting.

Edited:

Subscribed

Thanks, I've been seeing a vocal coach, but not for my voice...
    She, however, was very vocal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Arab Emirates Show Events Winner Winner x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    January 2011
    275 Posts
    Ok, so two more are up. I'm pasting the code on a text hosting website, but if you want me to upload the entire project file, I'll try and do that. If there are any requests to explain some things, or other questions, I'll add that in the next one.

Part 4