1. Post #1
    bbc
    ERECT PENIS
    January 2011
    6,316 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Winner Winner x 50Friendly Friendly x 8 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,214 Posts
    They're getting closer and closer to being able to read our minds and I'm not sure if I like it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 47Dumb x 7Winner x 1Disagree x 1Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,101 Posts
    This totally sounds like a job for the BIGRAT.

4. Post #4
    Fight until death, shoot until empty.

November 2009
    15,692 Posts
    God Bless Hawking. Truly the smartest person on this earth
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23Funny Funny x 5Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,718 Posts
    why dont they just do something like this

http://www.emotiv.com/

use that to control the mouse, and have him use the on screen keyboard that way
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    They're getting closer and closer to being able to read our minds and I'm not sure if I like it.
    I'm cool with it as long as the technology stays bulky as hell and impossible to transport/implement on a large scale. (IE: It will be impossible to implement it into headsets)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree x 3Optimistic x 2Agree x 2Dumb x 1Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,135 Posts
    Imagine if it says everything he's thinking:

"That girl has the hottest ass- wait fuck did I say that out loud"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 45Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    ForMod2013
    June 2009
    2,832 Posts
    Imagine if it says everything he's thinking:

"That girl has the hottest ass- wait fuck did I say that out loud"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 36Dumb Dumb x 13 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2005
    1,397 Posts
    Well, if we're going to hear the unfiltered voice of someone's brain...
    I think Hawking's is definitely the one we want to be listening to, otherwise we'll probably just lose faith in humanity all together.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,498 Posts
    Well, if we're going to hear the unfiltered voice of someone's brain...
    I think Hawking's is definitely the one we want to be listening to, otherwise we'll probably just lose faith in humanity all together.
    Because I bet you never have intrusive thoughts ever.

This is great news, it would be awesome if we could "patch in" virtual nerves to control machines using our motor control centres.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    564 Posts
    Pretty amazing how far we've got in the past few years in neuroscience. They can already pretty much do what they are planning to do in the article with a functional MRI, I guess really now all it takes is to shrink down the technology so you don't have to be sat in a huge polo to do it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    CD drives eject stuff, my ass ejects stuff, therefore my ass must be a CD drive.
    July 2009
    4,590 Posts
    Please god don't use Microsoft Sam as the synthesizer voice
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 10Funny Funny x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Nya~
    Dennab
    April 2011
    5,201 Posts
    I for one hope they let him keep it, it's basically part of his identity now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

14. Post #14
    Resident Raccoon
    January 2008
    9,029 Posts
    That would be amazing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,437 Posts
    I wonder what his actual voice sounded like.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

16. Post #16
    I wonder what his actual voice sounded like.
    Best I could find, not really a good example but it starts at 0:22
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 37 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    6,715 Posts
    Man, just imagine if Stephen Hawking never had ALS..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,437 Posts
    and was super ripped

like a superhero super-scientist
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 39Winner Winner x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    He'd probably be less into astrophysics, considering that reading is all he does almost, with ALS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 11Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Hello everyone! I would like you to know that I am not a fan of nudity!!!
    May 2009
    6,560 Posts
    aeiou
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 11Winner Winner x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    April 2011
    2,636 Posts
    ayeeonyou

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,688 Posts
    SOI SOI SOI SOI
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,629 Posts
    The fear is that Prof Hawking could ultimately lose the ability to communicate by body movement, leaving his brain effectively "locked in" his body.
    That is actually one of my biggest fears. It would be terrible to have one of the worlds best scientific minds lost in such a horrible way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    9,828 Posts
    That is actually one of my biggest fears. It would be terrible to have one of the worlds best scientific minds lost in such a horrible way.
    Well, after we pull this off... wonder how long it'll be before hawking becomes the first head-in-a-jar.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    6,715 Posts
    Well considering he's 70 now, and people with ALS generally don't live long after being diagnosed (except in his case afaik), we really have no clue when he'll pass on, it could be whenever, but when it does though it will be a sad day to lose such a great man.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    20,066 Posts
    Once he goes, all we'll have left is Neil. What happens when he goes?!

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,743 Posts
    You guys are overestimating him. His biggest contribution was the discovery of Hawking radiation, he hasn't done much more in later years. Sure he's smart, but he's probably not the smartest guy in the world, the only reason people identify him as that is because that's what media has portrayed him to be.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Turkey Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    6,449 Posts
    Wasn't there this thing a while back in japan that you would attatch to comma victims and find out what they where thinking? They could use that.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,347 Posts
    Once he goes, all we'll have left is Neil. What happens when he goes?!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Do not (c)lick
    Dennab
    March 2012
    1,461 Posts
    Jackie chan?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Funny Funny x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    Jackie chan?
    no its will smith

lmao!!!

32. Post #32
    I'm friendly!
    June 2007
    3,604 Posts
    Wasn't there this thing a while back in japan that you would attatch to comma victims and find out what they where thinking? They could use that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    "So Mr. Hawkins, could you explain why the Higgs Boson is so important?"
    "Oh for fucks sake, why are you people so RETARDED. Oops."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,951 Posts
    Kaku's such a smarmy stuck up wannabe dickhead... Why anyone would want to listen to the shit that flings from his mouth is beyond me.

Let's face it; once Hawking's dead there's going to be a huge void to fill, and that prick up there is not the one to fill it. Truth be told, there are many brilliant people out there, some even as brilliant as Hawking himself but the fact is they don't get the attention and support they need to truly thrive and be known for their abilities. Once Hawking dies, I bet people will instantly start searching for the 'next Stephen Hawking'... Sucks but it's true.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    February 2012
    90 Posts
    Kaku's such a smarmy stuck up wannabe dickhead... Why anyone would want to listen to the shit that flings from his mouth is beyond me.
    I agree with this, his attitude sucks

36. Post #36
    taste the salty dong
    September 2009
    1,822 Posts
    His extreme intelligence is most likely a side-effect of ALS. I would wager that if he didn't have ALS, he wouldn't be as smart.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

37. Post #37
    January 2010
    661 Posts
    "So, you like to play castlevania?"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Portugal Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,214 Posts
    Mr. Miyagi?