1. Post #1

It's been a long time coming, but development of SourceForts 2 is finally underway.
    In case you've never heard of SourceForts, you can see the Wikipedia's article, and trailers for the previous versions here and here. It was originally released as a free mod and enjoyed a fair bit of success (150k downloads, couple Game of the Year awards, first (or second) mod to be featured on Steam, featured in PC Zone and on GigaTV), and now we're working on SourceForts 2 as an indie game.

SourceForts 2 is being created from the ground up and will bring classic SF1.9.X gameplay as well as new game modes, characters, weapons and more (including an official league and stats tracking). SF2 is set in the slightly-distant future, on an Earth inhabited only by large killing machines once designed to aid humans. Oh and weapons - lots and lots of weapons. There is no strict setting for the game, but instead a general theme of "nature reclaiming society" - we hope this will give our level designers the freedom to experiment with varying styles of environments and architecture.

Our team is currently comprised of:
    -2 Programmers
    -1 Concept Artist/Character Modeler & Animator
    -2 Prop & Texture Artists
    -2 Level Designers working on brand new maps
    -1 Level Designer working on redesigns of SF1.9.x maps
    -1 Sound Engineer
    -1 Producer/Web Developer/Programmer

Media:

Thanks for reading.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 92Friendly Friendly x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    October 2011
    542 Posts
    I played this in 2007 :D Finally is coming back!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Chile Show Events Agree Agree x 32Zing Zing x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Certified Catgirl Maid
    January 2006
    9,504 Posts
    I've never really played SF, but I might apply for that Level Design position.

Where do I sign up?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    November 2010
    1,395 Posts
    So finally it gets confirmed? good. I liked the first.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    FUCK OFF garry, I am a goddamn proud swedish moose, not a fucking british heathen!
    July 2010
    3,202 Posts
    can i be ideas guy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny x 70Dumb x 3Zing x 2Disagree x 2Useful x 1Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    4,930 Posts
    Im a rather new mapper, but maybe when i can i could help out with level design?

7. Post #7
    September 2008
    1,261 Posts
    I'm not the most experienced level designer, but I have learned a few things during the years and I do have a lot of free time on my hands. Here are some highlights of the best levels created so far.

You can find more examples on my moddb profile

Kinda not fair to show hl2 beta maps i guess.
    It's not the original, it's a remake.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Romania Show Events Artistic Artistic x 54Winner Winner x 12Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,616 Posts
    I used to love the shit out of sourceforts.
    It's such a unique and fun CTF game. Glad SF2 might finally see the light of day.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    809 Posts
    Kinda not fair to show hl2 beta maps i guess.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Dumb Dumb x 71Funny Funny x 4 (list)

10. Post #10
    November 2010
    1,395 Posts
    That remake of Traptown makes you deserve apply for the vacant. I loved that map (especially the skybox). I wish i can reach that level someday.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

11. Post #11
    I've never really played SF, but I might apply for that Level Design position.

Where do I sign up?
    send me a PM or via Steam (azgag).

We're still gathering a few screenshots, once we select a few I'll post them here. It might take a day or two.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,722 Posts
    fuck yes I loved SourceForts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    8,315 Posts
    This game really died when all the xenon servers died.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    6,980 Posts
    It's hard to believe it's been 6 years since I played SourceForts.

Such a great mod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

15. Post #15
    This game really died when all the xenon servers died.
    Xenon was one of the reason SF died, due to his UberForts servers and fail admins (also the fact that you had to pay irl money to get unbanned). another reason was the developpers (none of those aren't on the team anymore) not releasing any updates as well as a forum without any modorators.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

16. Post #16

January 2012
    83 Posts
    It's like Fortwars in TF2?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Disagree Disagree x 12 (list)

17. Post #17

July 2012
    6 Posts
    It's like Fortwars in TF2?
    SourceForts came first, so Fortwars is like SF ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 26 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    2,364 Posts
    i played the shit out of sourceforts in like 04-06, one of my favorite HL2 mods most definitely, i hope this remake is more popular
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

19. Post #19
    fug
    September 2009
    395 Posts
    Also used to enjoy this mod, look forward to what you guys come up with.

20. Post #20
    April 2009
    516 Posts
    I hope the old menu music will be the same. I heard that it was changed at some point?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16Winner Winner x 3 (list)

21. Post #21
    I hope the old menu music will be the same. I heard that it was changed at some point?
    Kushkan (the guy that made that music Pulsar) is gonna make the sounds + music, not sure what he plans on doing but an updated version of Pulsar would be awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 14Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    April 2009
    516 Posts
    Kushkan (the guy that made that music Pulsar) is gonna make the sounds + music, not sure what he plans on doing but an updated version of Pulsar would be awesome.
    That alone would have me play this mod again. I'm glad Kushkan is on board with the project!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    9,506 Posts
    Have you accepted a new level designer yet?

24. Post #24
    August 2010
    4,074 Posts
    I loved building shit in this mod, but the gun play was below average(expected from a HL2 mod). Looking forward to the sequel, good luck!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    Have you accepted a new level designer yet?
    only 2 people contacted us, one of them is a really strong candidate (hai radu_iceman). We're probably gonna wait a few more days in case more people are interested in joining us.

26. Post #26
    July 2009
    2,629 Posts
    I'm not the most experienced level designer, but I have learned a few things during the years and I do have a lot of free time on my hands. Here are some highlights of the best levels created so far.

It's not the original, it's a remake.
    You should really get this position. I really want that Traptown remake, that had me fooled for a minute.

27. Post #27

July 2012
    6 Posts
    You should really get this position. I really want that Traptown remake, that had me fooled for a minute.
    I think he's got a pretty good shot ;)

Oh and for all you old SF fans, [shamelessplug]you should all go like our Facebook page to stay up-to-date with SF2's development![/shamelessplug]

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    955 Posts
    Damn, I remember wasting weeks after weeks playing SF. So many fond memories, that is until I got votebanned off my favourite server by griefers.

Hope this turns out well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    11,372 Posts
    Give that fucking position to at least iceman

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,859 Posts
    I played SF1 at midnight on new years eve, three years in a row
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7Winner Winner x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Damn, I remember wasting weeks after weeks playing SF. So many fond memories, that is until I got votebanned off my favourite server by griefers.

Hope this turns out well.
    We can't really control what people do with their servers, if they have a voteban/votekick plugin. I mean we could have a back door like they did with Insurgency but it's not moral.
    But we are trying our best to make the game the least griefable possible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    955 Posts
    We can't really control what people do with their servers, if they have a voteban/votekick plugin.
    Not blaming you for it in the slightest, if anything I blame the admins (or rather the lack of admins) on the server in question.

33. Post #33
    Give that fucking position to at least iceman
    done.

Oh and this:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

34. Post #34
    A quick update, we have 2 new mappers (yeah, why have 1 great mapper if you can have 2?): Radu_iceman and HoliestCow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    August 2011
    204 Posts
    I am quite interested in a Level Design position. It be great to work on SF again (I used to work on it back in the day when KG and Bob were around and stuff.)

Even if you have the level design pos filled, I'd be interested in doing shaders/models/particles/general effects. Though I'd love to create a map or two regardless. My portfolio is here: https://geardev.wordpress.com/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    September 2008
    1,261 Posts
    I am quite interested in a Level Design position. It be great to work on SF again (I used to work on it back in the day when KG and Bob were around and stuff.)

Even if you have the level design pos filled, I'd be interested in doing shaders/models/particles/general effects. Though I'd love to create a map or two regardless. My portfolio is here: https://geardev.wordpress.com/
    Your work on city 17 is really impressive, I've been tracking that mod for a long time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Romania Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Awesome. You should post updates about this in WAYWO.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,353 Posts
    Since it sounds like you're separating the mod from the HL universe completely, will there be an equivalent to the gravity gun/grenade punting in this sequel? I recall it being a big part of the mod.

39. Post #39
    Since it sounds like you're separating the mod from the HL universe completely, will there be an equivalent to the gravity gun/grenade punting in this sequel? I recall it being a big part of the mod.
    for sure, but it will be using a new model as we're going for a total conversion game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

40. Post #40
    'Dynamic' props for some maps would also be awesome, like the blocks that pushed you away from sf_cyberwarfare_v2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)