1. Post #1
    Dennab
    April 2012
    470 Posts
    A teenager in Croatia has stitched together NASA images to make what has been described as one of the "most spectacular" time-lapse videos of Earth from space.

Tomislav Safundzic, who describes himself as an 18-year-old who enjoys photography and video editing, created the two-minute clip "This is Our Planet" with photos and video from the Image Science and Analysis Laboratory at the NASA-Johnson Space Center.

The video offers a fast-paced fly-by of our home planet, aurorae, stars, and even parts of the International Space Station.

The teen's creation was posted by Ron Garan - an astronaut who spent much of last year at the ISS - on his Google+ page earlier this week.

The video is quickly going viral on the internet and has been described as "mind-blowing" by the Huffington Post.

The ISS orbits Earth an average of 16 times a day and averages an altitude of about 400km.
    Source: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/technolog...se-space-video
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Late Late x 4Winner Winner x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Pass along
    May 2008
    4,065 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Artistic Artistic x 12Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    I'm halving my usage of math each week.. but, apparently I'll never be able to quit.
    October 2009
    5,827 Posts
    Should have posted in "Videos And Flash Movies and That Kind Of Crap"

http://www.facepunch.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 11Agree Agree x 5 (list)

4. Post #4
    April 2010
    3,381 Posts
    Earth looks amazing at night.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

5. Post #5
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,263 Posts
    This is not news, many videos like this exist, even some official NASA ones.

Very beautiful videos though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 22Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,514 Posts
    It's great and all, but it feels like it's missing something.

Or maybe it's just me being used to hearing Carl Sagan/Neil deGrasse Tyson/Stephen Hawking saying something inspiring in videos like these.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,366 Posts
    Personally, I think it should be more along the lines of "NASA takes "mind blowing" time lapses and teen edits together with overused soundtrack"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 22Dumb Dumb x 3Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,691 Posts
    Personally, I think it should be more along the lines of "NASA takes "mind blowing" time lapses and teen edits together with overused soundtrack"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,366 Posts
    Touché

10. Post #10
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,289 Posts
    lightning from space is truly beautiful
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    3,241 Posts
    Of course, my ethnicity country's teens would do something seemingly cool, and then it turns out to be sensationalism.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

12. Post #12
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,263 Posts
    Barely even a teen, he's 18 goddamn.

Title (not thinking about on Facepunch, I'm mostly being critical of the original source) makes it sound like a kid did it or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    23,092 Posts
    And somewhere on a tiny speck is me.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    3,241 Posts
    I blame the Serbians.

I blame the Bosnians.

Hell I blame all the rest of former Yugoslavia!

-Edit-

You fucked up my automerge

15. Post #15
    ffFf
    June 2005
    5,914 Posts
    I like how around 0:52 you can see another object in orbit really far away
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,514 Posts
    This video is IMO much more mind-blowing

It's short, has a very fitting soundtrack, and leaves you in amazement.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 5Agree Agree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,366 Posts
    That was really scary....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    beep
    January 2006
    7,767 Posts
    Reminded me the tim and eric mind blown gif.

19. Post #19
    Dennab
    April 2012
    470 Posts
    That video made me wish that our planet orbited a bigger planet. :saddowns:

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,109 Posts
    NASA makes "mind-blowing" space videos

Still pretty cool how he made a time-lapse. The night lights are crazy

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,458 Posts
    That video made me wish that our planet orbited a bigger planet. :saddowns:
    duh, orbiting a giant explosionball of death is much cooler

22. Post #22
    August 2011
    505 Posts
    When the earth turns dark, are those lightning strikes sometimes flashing on it's surface?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Moldova, Republic of Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

23. Post #23
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    13,198 Posts
    If you pause at 1:40 you can see some of the oil rig lights in the Gulf of Mexico. In another video you can hardly tell it's an ocean because the lights from the coast keep going out to sea due to the many oil rigs off shore.

24. Post #24
    October 2010
    11,829 Posts
    When the earth turns dark, are those lightning strikes sometimes flashing on it's surface?
    Yep, and other planets have lightning storms that do that as well