1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,588 Posts
    Hey guys, the other day my old anti-virus expired and I decided to un-install it. After I was prompted for a restart and I did so, however once my computer restarted, it blue-screened once I reached the log-in menu. I eventually had to start in safe-mode and do a system restore. It worked for a while and my computer was working fine, until I turned it off. when I turn my computer back on, I get the same blue-screen. After multiple things, registry cleaners, re-installing my old anti-virus (Kaspersky), putting another Anti-Virus on, and multiple system restores I still have the same problem.

I feel like I am running out of options, and I'm even looking at restoring my computer to factory default at this point. Of course, with my luck I wasn't able to find my Windows 7 or Factory Restore CD.

I was however, able to find my mom's old Windows Vista CD.
    I also system restored again and was able to create a system repair disk, but i don't actually know what it does.

What's your advice, Facepunch?

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,356 Posts
    So you've completely lost your Windows 7 / manufacturer restore disk ?
    If it's still not working properly the best thing to do would be just to reinstall windows.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,588 Posts
    So you've completely lost your Windows 7 / manufacturer restore disk ?
    If it's still not working properly the best thing to do would be just to reinstall windows.
    That's the way it looks. I know it's not cheap, but would it be possible to buy another one?

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,356 Posts
    You could download another version of Windows 7, since you've technically already bought it, legally however it's a rather grey area.
    Either that or head down the shop and get a new copy, your manufacturer may also be able to provide a new disc for a price.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,588 Posts
    Thanks man, should I even bother giving the Vista CD a shot? How is Linux by the way?

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,356 Posts
    Thanks man, should I even bother giving the Vista CD a shot? How is Linux by the way?
    If you're in a hurry yeah.
    Linux is a great alternative if you can live without games for a while, dual booting Windows and Linux is always an option, I'm currently running xubuntu and Windows 7.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    1,593 Posts
    If it's a prebuilt, you can call your manafacture and have them send you a factory restore disk with all the drivers, for a small fee.

Edited:

Also don't install a CD that is for a different computer, It will have different settings, drivers etc.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,254 Posts
    Just fetch a Windows 7 ISO from somewhere and install it on a flash drive and reinstall / repair your OS from it.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    3,162 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Me <3 You Long Time!

February 2011
    99 Posts
    Torrrent windows 7 (OEM Specific versions are usually also available) write it to a disk and boot it. Use the product key on the sticker attached to your device or software manual.

Don't switch to linux, most windows users mentally "combust" when they make the switch from a visually attractive OS with a handful of simplistic tools & programs to a linux distro (Even with graphical interface such as GNOME) .
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    October 2011
    51 Posts
    Don't switch to linux, most windows users mentally "combust" when they make the switch from a visually attractive OS with a handful of simplistic tools & programs to a linux distro (Even with graphical interface such as GNOME) .
    no fucking games man, no fucking games
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)