1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,542 Posts
    Link to story.

FALSE ALARM FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

There’s nothing like a big old scoop to make the hot summer days downright incendiary.

Our resident Australian tracker and editor, Mimaz, has made a rather intriguing discovery (all credit goes to him for finding it, as he merely offered me the honor of writing about it). On the LinkedIn profile of Gerald Bauser, Project Manager of Programming for gamescom 2012 (set to take place from the 16th to the 19th of August), Mimaz found a list of publicity programs set to be on display at gamescom, that Gerald is currently overseeing.

On the list, there is a wide variety of games that are set to be released in the near future, which will be presented publically at gamescom 2012. This is the list. We’ve taken the liberty of placing the interesting bit in bold:

Activision Blizzard – Call of Duty®: Black Ops 2 PC, 360, PS3 and World of Warcraft expansion (from 3 months)
    Konami – Metal Gear® Rising: Revengence (ongoing)
    Electronic Arts – Medal of Honor Warfighter ™, Crysis ® 3 and Need for Speed ​​™ Most Wanted (3 months) PC, 360, PS3
    Rockstar games – Grand Theft Auto V and Table Tennis Tournament 2 – (4 months) PC, 360, PS3
    Arenanet – Guild Wars® 3 (in progress) PC, 360, PS3
    Valve – Coming Soon (in progress)
    Ubisoft – Assassin’s Creed 3 (for 5 months) PC; 360, PS3
    Reef Entertainment – Coming Soon (2 months)

As you can see, among all the upcoming high-caliber games, lies a mention of an unannounced Valve title, noted simply as: “Coming Soon“. This clearly denotes that it is an unannounced and secretive game project (no platforms are even specified).

I can only assume that the “(in progress)” written next to it, is meant to represent the planning timeline for the game’s representation. In this case, it would seem that planning for Valve’s mysterious showing appears to still be in progress, which would indicate that the decision to reveal the unannounced project at Gamescom may still be a relatively recent development.

Of course, there’s also the mention of ArenaNet’s Guild Wars 3 there, which does sound a bit… suspicious, considering Guild Wars 2 isn’t even out yet. It also says “PC, 36o, PS3“, when Guild Wars 1 and 2 are PC-exclusive games. In addition, Gerald has… exactly zero professional connections over LinkedIn, which is also odd… so I’m not sure. It could very well be fake, at this point.

In any case, we have contacted Valve for comment, and will let you know as soon as we receive a response. Apart from that, we know nothing else at this time. With gamescom a month away, it’s gonna be a long wait until we can find out exactly what this is all about. Still, let’s all try to keep our expectations under control, for the time being – just in case this is another false alarm.
    thanks for the boxes, I'm just as much a victim of disappointment as you are
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Winner x 28Dumb x 4Optimistic x 4Funny x 2Informative x 1Disagree x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    4,962 Posts
    Ricochet 2 hoooohoho

But wow this title came unexpected.
    When does this gamescom event take place?

I'm going to be optimistic and say Episode Three
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,542 Posts
    I'm guessing it's either the new HL or SOB.

Or Prospero.

...or Ricochet 2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    July 2009
    2,629 Posts
    Saying this is Half-Life 3 is just pure speculation and rumor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,542 Posts
    Saying this is Half-Life 3 is just pure speculation and rumor.
    Agreed, it'll likely be something else.

Still. It'd be nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,908 Posts
    "This just in, Valve has announced the 3rd installment in their award winning franchise, Left 4 Dead"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 27Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    July 2009
    2,629 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Sadboys2001
    June 2011
    1,065 Posts
    portal life: global day of ricochet fortess 3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 15Funny Funny x 3Artistic Artistic x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Dennab
    June 2012
    1,199 Posts
    portal life: global day of ricochet fortess 3
    trying too hard to be funny
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 19Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,150 Posts
    probably just gonna be Left 4 Dead 3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Japanese Cerberus
    Dennab
    August 2011
    8,076 Posts
    Nah, Left 4 Dead 3 is too early, Global Offensive's "official" announcement or Dota 2 could be there, iunno.

If it was Episode Three though I would go absolutely fucking apeshit crazy and go shit on the streets.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    1,392 Posts
    Perhaps the game is called "Coming Soon"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 19Funny Funny x 14 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    8,059 Posts
    Dr. Grordbort: The game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

14. Post #14
    May 2011
    345 Posts
    Nah, Left 4 Dead 3 is too early, Global Offensive's "official" announcement or Dota 2 could be there, iunno.

If it was Episode Three though I would go absolutely fucking apeshit crazy and go shit on the streets.
    if l4d3 is too early... then l4d2 was?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    Perhaps the game is called "Coming Soon"
    Coming Soon: The only realistic Valve Game Development Simulator!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Funny Funny x 22 (list)

16. Post #16
    Premature Joculation
    April 2009
    7,931 Posts
    I'm excited for this, but also to see GTA5.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    1,392 Posts
    Whatever it is, at least GTA V will be there too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

18. Post #18
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    Its going to be stupid, their history at events like this would indicate such...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

19. Post #19
    intercontinental mexican sausage filler
    October 2009
    2,594 Posts
    i'm skeptical of this, mainly because of arena net announcing guild wars 3 before the 2nd one is even released. then again it'll probably take about 5-6 years to develop knowing arena net.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

20. Post #20

July 2010
    2,063 Posts
    Fingers crossed for F-STOP or whatever they're implementing that mechanic into.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Dr. Grordbort: The game.
    I'd love it more than HL3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    11,747 Posts
    It's gonna be a Day of Defeat sequel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    June 2010
    6,312 Posts
    New Valve game, eh?

Have any promising mod teams ~mysteriously vanished~ from the grid in the past 1-2 years or so?

-------------DO NOT READ POSTS BELOW, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED-------------
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    13,944 Posts
    couldn't it just be Dota 2 or CS:GO?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    New Valve game, eh?

Have any promising mod teams ~mysteriously vanished~ from the grid in the past 1-2 years or so?
    Does black mesa source count?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

26. Post #26
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    17,881 Posts
    Portal 3

Edited:

[UPDATE: As it turns out, Gerald Bauser doesn't work for Gamescom's organizers, and therefore, the profile in question is illegitimate. Sorry, folks - just another false alarm!]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events Friendly x 13Funny x 4Agree x 2Zing x 1Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,542 Posts
    god

DAMNIT
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2006
    3,377 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    8,059 Posts
    Where is that thread about buying a missile from the black market? I think I want to make a certain 'donation'.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    12,744 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Funny Funny x 3 (list)

31. Post #31
    ☆Artist of Science☆
    August 2010
    5,283 Posts
    Day of Retreat

Edited:

Fuck that, false alarm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Vietnam Show Events

32. Post #32
    SteamDB
    November 2007
    10,954 Posts
    That's pretty much how I feel every time something like this happens.

I really should learn not to get excited anymore. :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,046 Posts
    Glad I missed this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Sock the Foot Cloth
    Dennab
    November 2010
    1,952 Posts
    Ugh. Every time we get some news regarding Valve, it's always a fucking troll.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

35. Post #35
    March 2011
    4,280 Posts
    It's gonna be a Day of Defeat sequel.
    Actually, I'd be okay with this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 9Agree Agree x 6 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    603 Posts
    Got my hopes up!

Then they went down to the ground where they belong... in the dirt...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Portugal Show Events