1. Post #1
    September 2010
    3,207 Posts
    If you think about it, the words such as fuck, cunt, motherfucker (i'm really bad at English swearing but Russians have a shitload of swearing words) and so on - Why are people getting mad or uncomfortable when one uses them? If one uses a synonym for swearing, it's okay, like "Damn!", but when it goes to "Fuck!", holy shit stop swearing *average parent to his kid*

I see this conception completely ridiculous. It makes little to no sense - a group of people some day determined they shouldn't be used, but why?

(User was banned for this post ("No debate presented." - Megafan))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    15,081 Posts
    Not that I have a problem with swearing, but the purpose of swearwords are to be offensive. That is the whole point behind them.

And they're fun to use because of that. Its nearly a tragedy that they're being devalued so much today.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    5,058 Posts
    Not that I have a problem with swearing, but the purpose of swearwords are to be offensive. That is the whole point behind them.

And they're fun to use because of that. Its nearly a tragedy that they're being devalued so much today.
    They're not used to just be offensive. They're used to enhance a specific expression.
    ex.
    How was your day?
    It was fucking amazing!

Instead of

How was your day?
    It was amazing!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,162 Posts
    In most cases they seem to be used in place of a good vocabulary. Instead of using a very descriptive word (because the person doesn't know it) they throw in a few swear words instead.

5. Post #5
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,832 Posts
    Swear words are taboo because sex is considered dirty. Blame the victorians for that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,162 Posts
    Swear words are taboo because sex is considered dirty. Blame the victorians for that.
    Except many sear words have nothing to do with sex, like: damn, ass (originally a donkey), shit, etc.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,100 Posts
    The victorians weren't afraid of sex at all, actually. In fact, they very much loved sex.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

8. Post #8
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,832 Posts
    Except many sear words have nothing to do with sex, like: damn, ass (originally a donkey), shit, etc.
    A lot of them do though

9. Post #9
    June 2011
    1,121 Posts

I find that swear words, like what draugur are more to emphasize something. The entire Offensive part of it is more to do with the context that it is being used in. Like the word Nigger I can see why people take offense in it but sometimes its not meant to be an offense yet people will be offended.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #10
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,832 Posts
    The victorians weren't afraid of sex at all, actually. In fact, they very much loved sex.
    Oh yeah the loved the shit out of it, but they were total prudes in day to day activities.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,162 Posts
    A lot of them do though
    Your explanation for the existence of swear words was the connection with sex. Since swear words exist that have nothing to do with sex then your explanation doesn't work.

12. Post #12
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,832 Posts
    Well fuck you, you motherfucking tit.