1. Post #1
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    24,896 Posts
    Because we don't spend a large chunk of time up there, we haven't done too much research on the long-term health effects of living on the moon. But a paper titled "Toxicity of Lunar Dust," covering several aspects of the effects of moon dust on the human body, offers some insight: the moon is basically trying to kill you.

Not actively, of course, but there are a lot of reasons to avoid the stuff (and no, a spacesuit isn't going to save you). The big problem is inhalation; even with a suit, dust can end up back in suit-free living spaces. Then the dust can travel inside travelers' lungs, causing inflammation and possibly, asbestos-style, even increasing the risk of developing cancer. The particles might be able to travel through the lungs more easily in the lower gravity environment, and exposure to UV and proton radiation could make the dust even more toxic.

But not to worry, there are still other ways it could hurt you. Without eroding the same way as soil on Earth, the rocky residue can be sharp, even occasionally coated in a glassy shell, causing skin irritation if you touch it. That's especially bad news for your eyes.

Researchers add a caveat for all this: it's only an approximation based on simulated dust particles, as they don't have samples that have been reliably kept in a lunar environment. But just in case, if you make a visit any time soon, exercise caution.
    Source: http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...ficially-toxic
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 87Informative Informative x 5Late Late x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    December 2010
    6,383 Posts
    So I assume that applies to moon gel as well? RIP Cave Johnson.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 159Funny Funny x 7Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    15,884 Posts
    moon gel was made out of moon dust so yeah
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18Informative Informative x 6Zing Zing x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    6,612 Posts
    its dust, it would make sense that dust exposed to the harsh environment (or lack thereof) of space would not only choke you but also poison you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 15Disagree Disagree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Clops with bisousbisous daily <3
    December 2010
    9,188 Posts
    it wasn't moon gel that did him in, it was just the dust.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 50Zing Zing x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    10,947 Posts
    Well they do mention it ingame.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 52 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,368 Posts
    No need to prove that. Astronauts who stepped on the moon sometimes brought some accidentally into their module, and they suffered some pretty bad headaches.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Agree Agree x 6Informative Informative x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Makes sense it could cause cancer. Thin atmosphere means moon dust is receiving a lot more cosmic radiation than we're used to
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 31Informative Informative x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    April 2011
    79 Posts
    Makes sense it could cause cancer. Thin atmosphere means moon dust is receiving a lot more cosmic radiation than we're used to
    Apparently everything causes cancer remember?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 51Funny Funny x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,775 Posts
    So would this likely rule out plans to make settlements out of mooncrete?

Edit: I'm not kidding, some people actually considered using them to build settlements on the moon. Now it just makes me thing it'd be like making a building with 100% pure asbestos.

Why is it funny? :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 45Friendly Friendly x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    I watched a stream of a video game so that means I'm an authority on it!
    May 2007
    4,997 Posts
    Pretty sure cosmic radiation just turns you into the fantastic four.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 49Agree Agree x 8 (list)

12. Post #12
    its dust, it would make sense that dust exposed to the harsh environment (or lack thereof) of space would not only choke you but also poison you.
    that plus, wouldn't it, since the moon has little atmosphere, be caked in radiation and space garbage?

Radioactive dust mudding your lungs out sounds like an obvious quick death.

Edited:

Edit: I'm not kidding, some people actually considered using them to build settlements on the moon. Now it just makes me thing it'd be like making a building with 100% pure asbestos.
    it'll need a shit load of flooring

made of concrete and moon dust
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,700 Posts
    We'll just have to beat the dust into submission until it surrenders and promises not to terrorize American citizens anymore like the jackasses the dust particles are.

Radioactive dust mudding your lungs out sounds like an obvious quick death.
    Russians have already come up with the solution. This isn't rocket science, guys.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 58Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 4Zing Zing x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,115 Posts
    The article isn't saying that because the dust is exposed to radiation it's more dangerous - it's saying that the dust coupled with radiation exposure would likely cause cancer.

This seems like a common sense thing to me, breathing in ultra-fine particles of sediment couldn't be good for the lungs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    9,400 Posts
    Easiest soloution would just be to have the suit go through a water spray int he airlock before the person gets out of it. Saturating it with moisture would make it much less likely to be breathed in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

16. Post #16
    May 2007
    491 Posts
    Sometimes I feel like we're never getting off this planet, and if we do, there's gonna be a lot of dead bodies and sick people that are going to pave the way to advances that finally make space travel safe.

You didn't cross the Atlantic in the comfort of a cruise ship the first time. It took a lot of trial and lost souls to reach this point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 29Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    December 2009
    8,782 Posts
    Apparently everything causes cancer remember?
    What if everything causes cancer because everything makes your cells mutate to adapt and thus increasing the chances of a wrongly done mutation ending up as cancer cells???
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    No title or gold masterrace, whoops.
    July 2012
    3,834 Posts

Why is it funny? :(
    Add some isolation and wooden walls/floors/cielings, maybe some tarp behind it and you should be clear on the inside.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    12,980 Posts
    Isn't it also extremely abrasive? I read somewhere that on past trips to the surface, it almost wore holes in parts of the suit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 6Agree Agree x 3 (list)

20. Post #20
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,096 Posts
    He were bloody right, weren't he; moon rocks ARE pure poison. In this case, it's essentially radioactive powdered asbestos.

I sure as hell ain't going to the Moon, I think i'll wait until we go to Mars; the sands of that red rock are essentially just rust.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    3,005 Posts
    i am awaiting the results of the research regarding the harmful effects of lemons on humans.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    7,239 Posts
    Regolith, the stuff the Moon is covered in, is basically finely ground asbestos so this doesn't surprise me the least.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    i am awaiting the results of the research regarding the harmful effects of lemons on humans.
    cancer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    6,612 Posts
    spontaneous combustion

the lab guys assure me its definitely spontaneous.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

25. Post #25
    taste the salty dong
    September 2009
    1,822 Posts
    the moon is basically trying to kill you.
    Sensational!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

26. Post #26
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    13,003 Posts
    and if we do, there's gonna be a lot of dead bodies and sick people that are going to pave the way to advances that finally make space travel safe.
    That's pretty much the norm when colonizing new worlds as you said. I can almost guarantee someones going to die a horrible death on our voyages to colonize space.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

27. Post #27
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,487 Posts
    it wasn't moon gel that did him in, it was just the dust.
    I thought it was the asbestos from the 50s spheres.

He did mention that it takes 30 years or so for asbestos poisoning to kick in.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2012
    1,310 Posts
    Well at least it's not spider rocks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,806 Posts
    Portal 2 predicted science. Awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 25 (list)

30. Post #30
    August 2007
    677 Posts
    What if everything causes cancer because everything makes your cells mutate to adapt and thus increasing the chances of a wrongly done mutation ending up as cancer cells???
    That's not how evolution works at all.
    Cells can't just decide to adapt or choose what mutation they want.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,882 Posts
    Given that Cave Johnson canonically died due to poisoning from all the moon dust, yeah.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    July 2008
    619 Posts
    I thought we already knew this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,113 Posts
    Oh shit...
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one who flipped out when I read this and made the connection to Portal 2.

Just makes things that more awesome.

Edited:

Agh damnit.
    Didn't see how long ago the last post was. (I'm a dumbass)

Oh well...

34. Post #34
    White Male seeking K-Pop Harem
    January 2012
    2,991 Posts
    I never wanted to go there anyway...

35. Post #35
    June 2009
    1,855 Posts
    The article isn't saying that because the dust is exposed to radiation it's more dangerous - it's saying that the dust coupled with radiation exposure would likely cause cancer.

This seems like a common sense thing to me, breathing in ultra-fine particles of sediment couldn't be good for the lungs
    It's simple, just chain smoke untill you have a lovely 0.5cm coating of tar over your lungs that could engulf any enroaching moon dust.

totally worth it.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2007
    4,333 Posts
    Didn't we already know this, though?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,615 Posts
    Who ever thought cheese could be so deadly?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    7,239 Posts
    Portal 2 predicted science. Awesome.
    They've known about the "pure poison" bit since at least the late sixties, when the first manned Apollo missions brought the stuff back with them. So instead, Science predicted Portal 2 makes more sense.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 8Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    499 Posts
    Well shit, every time I thought about being on the moon one of the first and best things in my mind was throwing the fine dirt around in low gravity.
    Would look cool as hell but now it just seems threatening.

40. Post #40
    If the mods approve of this title they hereby admit that they are all massive faggots
    October 2009
    9,626 Posts
    I was about to say gas masks but then I remember what I was taught about post-nuclear-attack survival. You shouldn't wear a gas mask because you're just going to get a radioactive mass of stuff in your filter and it's a lot worse to just have a highly radioactive glob sitting next to your face for hours on end than it is to digest it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)