1. Post #1
    January 2009
    614 Posts
    Just a quick question, but I figured it deserved a thread of its own.

Has anyone else noticed a lot of random group invites lately? Almost like your account has been put on a list and given out to everyone?
    I've been getting a lot of group invites from people I have little(of significance) to nothing in common with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 59Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    I like cheese...
    July 2009
    1,977 Posts
    I keep getting invited to Russian groups all the time.
    Its a spam bot that i've forgotten the name of, people can buy a monthly subscription to use it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 12Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    534 Posts
    They use bots which just invite everyone from other steam groups that have large amounts of people in them. They'll usually only target popular steam groups because they have the most people
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    May 2011
    263 Posts
    I seem to get 1/2 every couple of weeks, probably because I'm a member of the previous year's summer camp group.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    I usually just get them from servers I've played on. Occasionally there's a totally random one, but they're rare for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

6. Post #6
    June 2011
    723 Posts
    All the time for me. I usually get at least one every day. I'm not even in any big groups other than the Summer Sale one.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    5,621 Posts
    Haven't had any for months.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Insert title here

December 2005
    3,657 Posts
    I get an invite from time to time to some shitty group that has like 10,000 users.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,289 Posts
    Sometimes I get those invites too. Annoying as hell, but I ignoring them anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

10. Post #10
    April 2009
    2,777 Posts
    I get about 4 or 5 a day, and I'm not part of too many popular groups.

11. Post #11
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,956 Posts
    I wish there was a way to automatically ignore group invites from people who aren't on your friends list
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,095 Posts
    I normally just report the user who invited me and ignore the invite. If i remember correctly, a facepuncher got their steam account banned for releasing a program that allowed people to mass-invite others to groups.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,956 Posts
    well I sent an email to a few people at Valve asking for the feature to be implemented so we'll see what becomes of it

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    5,037 Posts
    It would be nice if you could select what groups to not have announcements pop up from.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    2,101 Posts
    I am getting a few per week, still annoying though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Romania Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    March 2007
    936 Posts
    They use bots which just invite everyone from other steam groups that have large amounts of people in them. They'll usually only target popular steam groups because they have the most people
    I left big groups I didn't really care for a few days ago and haven't gotten a random group invite since.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,175 Posts
    I get atleast about 3 a week. It's fucking annoying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #18
    The best headhumper of the galaxy.
    January 2012
    2,879 Posts
    I get a lot of invites to Russian Counter-Strike 1.6 groups even though I hardly play the game and I haven't played in a month.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    Resident News Bot
    April 2011
    11,526 Posts
    I've been noticing a spike in these recently. Normally, it was super-rare, but now it's almost every 3 days now.

Guess I'll see when I leave the Summer Camp group (as there's no point to having it in your list after the sale).

20. Post #20
    Kyo
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    513 Posts
    I've been getting some invites from random French groups, which is bizarre seeing how I don't speak French or play on French servers or anything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    August 2009
    4,246 Posts
    I never ignore the invites, I just keep them so I can look at my 75 invites and say "wow I'm popular!".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)