1. Post #1
    April 2012
    1,202 Posts
    After repeatedly subjecting fruit flies to a stimulus designed to teach numerical skills, the evolutionary geneticists finally hit on a generation of flies that could count -- it took 40 tries before the species' evolution occurred. The findings, announced at the First Joint Congress on Evolutionary Biology in Canada, could lead to a better understanding of how we process numbers and the genetics behind dyscalculia -- a learning disability that affects a person's ability to count and do basic arithmetic.
    "The obvious next step is to see how [the flies'] neuro-architecture has changed," said geneticist Tristan Long, of Canada's Wilfrid Laurier University, who admits far more research is needed to delve into what the results actually mean. Primarily, this will involve comparing the genetic make-up of an evolved fruit fly with that of a standard test fly to pinpoint the mutation.
    If this actually true, I want them to create fruit flies with human intelligence. To study how human civilizations rise and fall, not take over Earth.

Source: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...lies-can-count
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 63Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    June 2012
    1,904 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 27Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3

4. Post #4
    January 2010
    875 Posts
    And if only they can make flies to know their way outside of our houses.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 74Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 6 (list)

5. Post #5
    I'm halving my usage of math each week.. but, apparently I'll never be able to quit.
    October 2009
    4,680 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    April 2011
    781 Posts
    who gives a fuck
    the information is there, and here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.
    November 2011
    6,991 Posts
    This reminds me of the study/Project I wanted to do with goldfish
    I take goldfish and put them in new environments, so they adapt, I keep doing this through many environments until I have created a race of super goldfish
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    18,662 Posts
    This seems pretty cool; I wonder what other sparks of intelligence could be placed into the fruit-flies?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,203 Posts
    This seems pretty cool; I wonder what other sparks of intelligence could be placed into the fruit-flies?
    Oh fuck fruit fly civilization.

FUCK ME NO FUCK NO I DO NOT WANT FRUIT FLIES TO BUILD LITTLE FRUIT FLY PYRAMIDS JESUS CHRIST NO
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 12 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,141 Posts
    Counting isn't going to teach them that certain parts of empty air are actually stuff and will hurt you if you hit them..    Glass   
    We should use flies as literal bean counters.Pack them in little hazmat uniforms and work them at Heinz.

Blog posted:
    US and Canadian researchers have evolved a population of fruitflies that can count. The result, presented on 9 July at the First Joint Congress on Evolutionary Biology in Ottawa, Canada, supports the notion that the neural mechanisms underlying basic arithmetic skills first emerged hundreds of millions of years ago. It could also eventually offer a key to understanding why some people have problems with numbers.
    It's because they don't give a fuck,science.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,854 Posts
    I read this as "Geneticists evolve fruit with ability to fly"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 30Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,141 Posts
    Snip

13. Post #13
    August 2007
    954 Posts
    B-b-but... evolution is a theory! Y-y-you can't p-p-prove it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 16Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    DPRKFC
    March 2012
    793 Posts
    now it can count how many canteloupes i have
    fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

15. Post #15
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    18,662 Posts

FUCK ME NO FUCK NO I DO NOT WANT FRUIT FLIES TO BUILD LITTLE FRUIT FLY PYRAMIDS JESUS CHRIST NO
    If they were designed with some sort of organic radiotransmissive capability, then a telepathic hivemind involving gestalt intelligences would be possible. Combine that with the genes that make fireflies generate the materials they need to generate their lights, and you'd theoretically end up with glowing fruitflies that could form messages.

THAT would certainly be a cool thing to leave for later aeons to ponder.

16. Post #16
    January 2010
    5,104 Posts

They will attempt to build monuments out of sugar granules, only to find that sugar is delicious. Construction will be delayed for dozens of fly generations.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    August 2009
    8,151 Posts
    They will attempt to build monuments out of sugar granules, only to find that sugar is delicious. Construction will be delayed for dozens of fly generations.
    Then they do sand.

Then when we know we've really fucked up this time.

18. Post #18
    DPRKFC
    March 2012
    793 Posts
    shit 30 second delay thats like 4689 years omg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    April 2012
    3,301 Posts
    JENSENN I'M FREAKIN' OUT HERREE

I NEED YOU AT HQ PRONTO

AAAADAM THE FRUIT FLIES
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 14Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    October 2009
    8,979 Posts
    Er... How did they find out that the flies were able to count? The article only seems to say "yep, they can count."

What did they count? What did they do that proved that they did count?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

21. Post #21
    July 2009
    1,001 Posts
    The next step is to teach them fractions.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    4,429 Posts
    Fuck quantum computers, build a computer out of fruit flies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 5Winner Winner x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    equalize, distort, equalize
    March 2007
    5,020 Posts
    JENSENN I'M FREAKIN' OUT HERREE

I NEED YOU AT HQ PRONTO

AAAADAM THE FRUIT FLIES
    2/10 - Sarif never calls him Jensen

Wouldn't read in Sarifs voice
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

24. Post #24
    July 2009
    4,165 Posts
    This is really cool. Experiments like this could lead to a better understanding of human intelligence.

25. Post #25
    August 2011
    2,248 Posts
    Let's teach animals how to wage war next, raccoon clan wars anyone?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Dennab
    July 2009
    7,650 Posts
    2/10 - Sarif never calls him Jensen

Wouldn't read in Sarifs voice
    i read it in that asshole tech guys voice.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,669 Posts
    If they were designed with some sort of organic radiotransmissive capability, then a telepathic hivemind involving gestalt intelligences would be possible. Combine that with the genes that make fireflies generate the materials they need to generate their lights, and you'd theoretically end up with glowing fruitflies that could form messages.

THAT would certainly be a cool thing to leave for later aeons to ponder.
    y'all making huge (hulk level) jumps into pseudoscience territory

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    12,879 Posts
    These people, Adam, they're like ghosts. Always in the shadows, always hiding behind specs and proxy fruit flies.