1. Post #1
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    25,757 Posts
    Call it "too much substance, not enough style?" President Barack Obama says his biggest mistake since getting to the White House three and a half years ago has been his tendency to tackle the job as national policy wonk rather than the inspiring figure he cut in the 2008 campaign.

"When I think about what we've done well and what we haven't done well," the president told CBS television in an interview, "the mistake of my first term - couple of years - was thinking that this job was just about getting the policy right."

"And that's important. But the nature of this office is also to tell a story to the American people that gives them a sense of unity and purpose and optimism, especially during tough times," Obama said in an excerpt of the exchange with Charlie Rose.

Presidents politicians in general tend to sidestep questions about their biggest mistake in office, though they sometimes stumble spectacularly over them (as George W. Bush did in April 2004), or offer up a self-serving answer that might be lampooned as "I just love America too much." Obama seems to be saying that, dagnabbit, he just took the job too gosh-darn seriously. Republicans wasted little time in mocking the answer. Republican National Committee spokesman Tim Miller tweeted "I'd go w/ utter economic failure."

And Mitt Romney hit out hard at Obama: "Being president is not about telling stories."

"Being president is about leading, and President Obama has failed to lead. No wonder Americans are losing faith in his presidency," Romney said in a statement.

Obama also seemed to make the argument that he just can't catch a break.

"It's funny - when I ran, everybody said, 'well he can give a good speech but can he actually manage the job?'" he said. "And in my first two years, I think the notion was, 'Well, he's been juggling and managing a lot of stuff, but where's the story that tells us where he's going?' And I think that was a legitimate criticism."

"So getting out of this town, spending more time with the American people, listening to them, and also, then, being in a conversation with them about where do we go together as a country, I need to do a better job of that in my second term," the president said.

Rose pressed him, asking whether he means explaining, and Obama replied: "Explaining but also inspiring."

"Because hope is still there," First Lady Michelle Obama added.
    Source: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/o...215152391.html

Not usual to hear a politician say he had a mistake at all, let alone admit to a "biggest one".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly x 101Funny x 4Dumb x 2Informative x 1Optimistic x 1Artistic x 1Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Sexist
    July 2006
    6,987 Posts
    Obama is honest.

He has not done everything perfectly, and he has done things that I did not approve of, but I have never had the impression that he would oversell himself or lie about his errors.

American politics sucks right now, but he is the best we've got.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 169Disagree x 5Funny x 3Dumb x 3Artistic x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,495 Posts
    And Mitt Romney hit out hard at Obama: "Being president is not about telling stories."

"Being president is about leading, and President Obama has failed to lead. No wonder Americans are losing faith in his presidency," Romney said in a statement.
    Where the heck does Romney come from where explaining things and inspiring people isn't a part of leadership?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 59Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    I can't think of a good title.
    May 2010
    17,159 Posts
    Where the heck does Romney come from where explaining things and inspiring people isn't a part of leadership?
    It's Romney. He presumably had the opposite opinion last week.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Zing Zing x 78Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    March 2011
    4,292 Posts
    If he spent more time with the people like he said in this article, that can gain him a major advantage because it shows that he really is working with the common man and represents their views.

That Google+ chat he did a while back is something we need more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

6. Post #6
    I do it all
    November 2010
    14,206 Posts
    I don't think I've seen any politician as honest as Obama, he honestly gets the job done even though he has made some mistakes or done shit that could of been better - but that's just being human
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 32Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    February 2009
    25,757 Posts
    I don't think I've seen any politician as honest as Obama, he honestly gets the job done even though he has made some mistakes or done shit that could of been better - but that's just being human
    Well he hasn't gained the title "Honest" like Abe has yet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

8. Post #8
    Sexist
    July 2006
    6,987 Posts
    I just kind of want to give Obama a hug and tell him it's gonna be ok, even if I have no idea if it will be okay or not
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly x 40Optimistic x 5Agree x 5Funny x 4Artistic x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    February 2010
    5,499 Posts
    It makes me sad to hear the stuff my mom says about this man
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 46Agree Agree x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    February 2009
    25,757 Posts
    I just kind of want to give Obama a hug and tell him it's gonna be ok, even if I have no idea if it will be okay or not
    I don't agree much with many of his policies, but I really like Obama as a guy.

Where as Romney, I have a problem with both policies and as a person.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 28Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    I do it all
    November 2010
    14,206 Posts
    Do you think it's right to call Obama a bro yet?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Disagree Disagree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    February 2009
    25,757 Posts
    BroBama
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 74Agree Agree x 3Zing Zing x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,121 Posts
    I can't wait for everything to topple down around Romney, at this point I doubt he'll even be making it to the ballot. I don't know of many people who have lost faith in Obama, most people have been fairly consistent in their opinions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    4,355 Posts
    I've considered him a bro since I learned he had my High School's band play during his inauguration.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 34 (list)

15. Post #15
    BroDuck's Buttslut
    January 2011
    5,248 Posts
    Poor guy.

16. Post #16
    February 2009
    25,757 Posts
    So, besides the fact that he's admitted a mistake, what does everyone actually think of said supposed mistake?

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    18,132 Posts
    I think learning from them and admitting you can learn from them is far more important than most mistakes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 12Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,121 Posts
    So, besides the fact that he's admitted a mistake, what does everyone actually think of said supposed mistake?
    He's been severely limited in his ability to act by congress, so it's hard to say where the fault lies for a number of things. On some issues, however, I feel he's failed to do his part. I.e. He should have maintained his stance on cannabis, rather than raiding dispensaries.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

19. Post #19
    August 2009
    2,875 Posts
    I can't wait for everything to topple down around Romney, at this point I doubt he'll even be making it to the ballot. I don't know of many people who have lost faith in Obama, most people have been fairly consistent in their opinions.
    Um, isn't it a guarantee that Romney is going to be on the ballot?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

20. Post #20
    White Male seeking K-Pop Harem
    January 2012
    3,008 Posts
    Um, isn't it a guarantee that Romney is going to be on the ballot?
    Oh sure, no guarantee for a vote though. Except for the South, its like they have voting for Reps down to a science.

21. Post #21
    Sexist
    July 2006
    6,987 Posts
    He's been severely limited in his ability to act by congress, so it's hard to say where the fault lies for a number of things. On some issues, however, I feel he's failed to do his part. I.e. He should have maintained his stance on cannabis, rather than raiding dispensaries.
    The White House's official position is to raid them. It is not a matter of Obama not liking cannabis though, but more of a Federal affirmation of power over States that has nothing to do with who is President at the time, I suppose.

It is a complicated issue that has very little to do with the actual usage of the drug itself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    Am I the only one who wonders how badly Obama smells right now?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Funny Funny x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Sexist
    July 2006
    6,987 Posts
    He probably smells like America.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    October 2009
    9,447 Posts
    "Obama has failed and Americans are losing faith"

[citation needed]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    VENEZOLANO
    August 2006
    3,419 Posts
    I'm pretty sure that if Obama continued the image he had during the campaign he would have a killer acceptance rate by now. There are people disappointed with his term, but personally, I say it wasn't half bad, he didn't make abhorrent mistakes like Dubya, and has kept a rather decent public image abroad. Few people actually diss on Obama himself rather than the current administration. If he does get a second term, he could really do wonders with a better hand on Congress.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Venezuela Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

26. Post #26
    I wish I was as cool as Felix :)
    April 2010
    7,835 Posts
    I've considered him a bro since I learned he had my High School's band play during his inauguration.
    My chorus sang at his inauguration.

27. Post #27
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,226 Posts
    Yes he did sweat too much that was his problem

28. Post #28
    Sexist
    July 2006
    6,987 Posts
    I am pretty sure Newt Gingrich is the sweatiest but I can't be sure
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

29. Post #29
    September 2007
    3,255 Posts
    My chorus sang at his inauguration.
    I farted when he was being sworn in on tv.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 35Informative Informative x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Sexist
    July 2006
    6,987 Posts
    My school interrupted class to watch his inauguration live. I will always remember that moment.

Edited:

Honestly, I have a feeling that, even though many of us do not agree with him, we all like him for being more human than most other faces in politics, or even on TV at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    4,803 Posts
    it's things like this that give me a lot more faith in Obama than in pretty much all the other presidential candidates.. he's an honest person, and that's something that's both incredibly rare and valuable in politics.

and yet, my parents legitimately believe that Obama is purposely trying to run the country into the ground in order to create a new, communist state where the state religion is Islam... of course, me thinking that Obama isn't the worst (or the best) president the country's had makes me a filthy hippie liberal.

I just don't fucking get it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Sexist
    July 2006
    6,987 Posts
    I thought my mother was like that for a while but it turns out she is just so patriotic that she will defend the current sitting president.

So she loved Bush and Reagan especially, voted for McCain, but is now voting for Obama and saying that he is really great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    4,635 Posts
    Why should he have to explain anything to the people he fires from their jobs?

That's a job for Human Relations, lolol.

34. Post #34
    Fight until death, shoot until empty.

November 2009
    15,884 Posts
    I wish Obama was more... connected(?) to the public. I want to hear the truth about everything, even if it means political suicide. We know that we, as a country, are fucked. Completely. We know that our politics are not working at all and that congress is just old men bitching about shit with their pockets packed with money.

We need help.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

35. Post #35

June 2012
    396 Posts
    brobama

e: fuck off i thought of that one before you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 10Late Late x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    656 Posts
    Isn't there a good chance that republicans will control both houses after the election? Even if he wins he won't be able to get much done, which is annoying.

37. Post #37
    Fight until death, shoot until empty.

November 2009
    15,884 Posts
    Isn't there a good chance that republicans will control both houses after the election? Even if he wins he won't be able to get much done, which is annoying.
    At this rate I want to elect some third-party member. Fuck the two party system
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

38. Post #38
    August 2009
    2,068 Posts
    One thing I like about Obama is that he's not stupid in the way he does things
    Like, not saying everything he does I support, but he's been a lot more professional looking/sounding than our last few presidents. He's doesn't do much to make himself look like an ass
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    9,622 Posts
    Title made me expect a Old Spice-esque advert featuring Obama....thinking on this a bit more, that would be freaking hilarious.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,325 Posts
    I'll first have to look up 'perspiration' in the dictionary.

That said, the Republicans have been in his way almost 24/7. Complaining about his birth certificate, 33 attempts at repealing his health care changes, and constantly bashing him about an economy they largely ruined in the first place.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)