1. Post #1
    CD drives eject stuff, my ass ejects stuff, therefore my ass must be a CD drive.
    July 2009
    4,586 Posts
    Hi,

I have a reasonably new computer which I built about a month and a half ago. Yesterday, I had an error whenever I tried to launch an application saying "Entry point not found", then a message saying that it couldn't find something in the DLL. I did a system restore and all was fine, then played some games for a while without issue.

Today, upon turning on the computer, I hear spinning fans, but not the initial loud whirr (not even sure what makes the noise). The computer doesn't output anything over HDMI, haven't tried anything else yet. Also, holding the power button does not turn it off, no matter how long I hold it.

It's plugged into a surge protector. Today, I've tried turning it on and off, and a few times it turns on simply by switching on the surge protector, not the power button on the computer.

Here are the specs:
    Intel i5 3550
    Palit GTX 670
    8GB of DDR3 1600MHZ (actually running at 1333mhz because my board set it to that and I couldn't be bothered changing it)
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard
    Silverstone Strider Plus 750w

What should my first course of action be? I was considering running without the RAM and HDD to see if it was a motherboard issue.

Thanks!

2. Post #2
    Resident News Bot
    April 2011
    11,266 Posts
    Try running without the GPU and seeing if there's any results.

3. Post #3
    CD drives eject stuff, my ass ejects stuff, therefore my ass must be a CD drive.
    July 2009
    4,586 Posts
    Just discovered that holding it longer than the time for a normal force shutdown (I think it was 20-30 seconds) works for turning it on, if that changes anything.

Edited:

Tried using the motherboard's HDMI output instead of the GPU's, the computer flashed on for a split second then turned off. It's now in the same state it was before with the cable still in, not sure if the two things are connected.

4. Post #4
    Resident News Bot
    April 2011
    11,266 Posts
    Just discovered that holding it longer than the time for a normal force shutdown (I think it was 20-30 seconds) works for turning it on, if that changes anything.

Edited:

Tried using the motherboard's HDMI output instead of the GPU's, the computer flashed on for a split second then turned off. It's now in the same state it was before with the cable still in, not sure if the two things are connected.
    You'll actually want to remove the GPU from its slot if you didn't do that.

5. Post #5
    July 2009
    4,586 Posts
    Problem solved!

I tried removing the RAM. To my surprise, it got to POST and did the 3-beep error for no RAM installed. So I installed one stick in the first slot. All good, booted fine. So I installed the second. No boot. I assumed it was a bad DIMM, and removed it.

It wouldn't boot.

I tried removing all RAM, and it still wouldn't boot.

After some fiddling around, it managed to boot into the pseudo-booted state I was experiencing at first.

I happened to have my arm pressing against the motherboard's 24-pin power plug when I turned it on again.

Turns out that the 24-pin plug was loose, and some of it was in contact but other parts weren't. This resulted in the weird pseudo-booted state that I was getting. It'd always been badly plugged, but the way my case doors closed pushed it in just enough to come into contact. It'd just come loose with time or a jolt.

tl;dr i'm fucking stupid
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)