1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    2,304 Posts
    I have a fairly nice deck in my car, and I few months ago I replaced my stock speakers with some Pioneer speakers.

Here are the specs on the 4 speakers I added (2 front, 2 rear)

Size 5-1/4"
    Max. Music Power (Nominal) 140 W (25 W)
    Cone Material IMPP
    Frequency Response 40 Hz to 26 kHz
    Sensitivity (1 W/1 m) 89 dB
    Impedance 4 Ω
    Crossover Frequency ―
    Mounting Depth 1-13/16"
    Cut-Out Dimensions 4-3/4"

The problem is, my battery cannot power the speakers. When the volume is too loud, the whole unit shuts down and restarts particularly when there is a bass drop. Currently, I have the fader set to front, so it only needs to power the front and I can turn it a bit louder.

So, I need to buy an amplifier and I want to buy a subwoofer later on. From what I've read, I will need a 5 channel amp to power 4 speakers and 1 subwoofer. From what I see, the cost of a 5 channel amp is extremely expensive ($500+), so I'm looking for other alternatives to my set up.]

For example, if I wanted to add the following sub later on:

Peak: 400 watts
    RMS: 200 watts
    Impedance: 4 ohm

What kind of amp would I need to power the speakers and that kind of subwoofer?

Also, how hard is it to install an amplifier my self? I may just buy a used one and wire it in myself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    S W
    May 2010
    316 Posts
    The chances of the battery being the problem with your stereo is very very slim. Your deck is probably putting out around 20W RMS into 4 speakers. So if your car can't handle 80 watts then you really have a more serious problem. It is more likely that your deck can't handle it and resets itself if it is being overloaded to protect itself. Even if it was your batter / alternator, and amplifier would just make it worse.

But to answer your questions. You don't need an amp for your speakers although I'd suggest getting a better deck. As for a future sub, for an entry level amp I'd say look into Kenwood.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    2,304 Posts
    I have a $300 deck in my vehicle, so I was hoping that wasn't the problem. My deck says it has a max output of 50W * 4, but the speakers have a RMS of 25W and max of 140W. I really have no idea how any of this power stuff works, but I would think that if my deck couldn't output enough power, it would simply end up being a low volume.

4. Post #4
    S W
    May 2010
    316 Posts
    I have a $300 deck in my vehicle, so I was hoping that wasn't the problem. My deck says it has a max output of 50W * 4, but the speakers have a RMS of 25W and max of 140W. I really have no idea how any of this power stuff works, but I would think that if my deck couldn't output enough power, it would simply end up being a low volume.
    What deck? If it really was $300 then that shouldn't be happening so you should return it and get a replacement. You should also ignore any max power ratings as they mean nothing.
    The reason I'm saying it isn't your electrical system is because lets say that your deck is somehow putting out 50W x 4 all the time (which it isn't) then that would mean it is pushing out 100W of power. Now with ohms law we know p = vi and on the low side your battery could be 11 volts, so that means there is ~9 amps of current. Your starter alone requires between 100 - 200 amps, although for a short period of time. So if your alternator / battery can't handle that then like I said, you have bigger issues.

It could also be a wiring issue. If you installed it, please tell me you didn't use wire nuts. I still think your deck is just going into protective mode.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    2,304 Posts
    It is an Alpine iDA-X305. It's actually a pretty shitty deck for the price.

But anyway, I didn't install the deck but the guys at the place where I bought it installed it. But it was all crooked and shit when they finished so I don't think they did a good job.

The reason I think it is the battery, is because it cuts out easier (at lower volumes), when the car(alternator) isn't running, so it seems like its a power intake problem. Tomorrow I will check the power and ground wires to see if they are properly connected.

6. Post #6
    S W
    May 2010
    316 Posts
    It is an Alpine iDA-X305. It's actually a pretty shitty deck for the price.

But anyway, I didn't install the deck but the guys at the place where I bought it installed it. But it was all crooked and shit when they finished so I don't think they did a good job.

The reason I think it is the battery, is because it cuts out easier (at lower volumes), when the car(alternator) isn't running, so it seems like its a power intake problem. Tomorrow I will check the power and ground wires to see if they are properly connected.
    Well, you are correct, the deck shouldn't be the problem as that deck is not bad at all. If a shop did the install then take it back to them as they are responsible for making sure it works properly and it obviously doesn't.
    Ah, ya then it may be the battery although I still have a feeling it isn't as your car would struggle when starting, but I could be wrong. Try a few more things. Rev up your engine to about 3500-4000 rpm and see if the problem is the same or changes. Repeatedly start and stop your car and see if after a couple start ups it begins to struggle starting ( only do it about 5 times ). I'd also suggest bringing your car into autozone or some place similar as they do free battery and free alternator checks. A battery is only about $50 and should be replaced about every 3 years, so it doesn't hurt to get a new one anyways if it has been that long. There should be a sticker on the battery specifying when it was bought.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    2,304 Posts
    When I get my oil changed, they always do a battery check so I'm sure they would have mentioned something if it wasn't normal.

Anyway, I'll do what you suggested. I don't ever remember anyone changing the battery in my vehicle in the past 3 years

I also realized today it could be my fault when I installed the speakers, maybe I wired something incorrectly and it's causing a short or something. I'll peel off all the door panels sometime and double check the connections on the speakers.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    9,702 Posts
    Some kid where I work found this Amp and wanted to know if it was any good.

Also spiders.