1. Post #1

January 2012
    36 Posts
    Steve Mann attacked in paris

On July 1, Steve Mann, a professor of electrical and computer engineering at the University of Toronto and renowned as the world’s first cyborg, was physically assaulted in a McDonald’s in Paris for wearing his EyeTap eyeglass, with resulting damage to his eyeglass, which is surgically attached to his skull.

“I’m not seeking to be awarded money. I just want my Glass fixed,” said Steve. Paris police and McDonald’s were unresponsive, he said.
    I believe that Digital Eye Glass will ultimately replace glasses, and will help many people see better, and improve the quality of their lives through Augmediated Reality.

I wear a computer vision system, and carry a letter from my family physician, as well as documentation on this system when I travel.

I have worn a computer vision system of some kind for 34 years, and am the inventor of the technology that I wear and use in my day-to-day life.
    Physical assault and willful destruction of customer’s property by persons acting as representatives of McDonald’s
    NOTE: McDonald's employees attacked him

So it has begun...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 177Funny Funny x 1Late Late x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny x 237Dumb x 14Agree x 9Winner x 2Disagree x 1Artistic x 1Zing x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,258 Posts
    He never asked for this.
    OH FUCK YOU
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 108Late x 19Dumb x 19Friendly x 6Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    7,984 Posts
    Mann Co. makes advances yet again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 67Agree Agree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Justin... CUNT!
    February 2008
    1,703 Posts
    Makes you wonder about all the off screen glass repairs that would have needed to be done in Human Revolution.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

6. Post #6
    101% Asian
    April 2007
    2,063 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic x 82Winner x 9Friendly x 4Informative x 3Late x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    6,128 Posts
    Any details on why he was attacked? Did it have something to do with his glasses, or just random shitheads being random shitheads?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Agree Agree x 33 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    6,287 Posts
    Makes you wonder about all the off screen glass repairs that would have needed to be done in Human Revolution.
    Not that many i'd imagine, You don't really get hit in the face all that often in-game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    August 2010
    6,813 Posts
    Why did they attack him in the first place? What was their point? What were they trying to do?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

10. Post #10

January 2012
    36 Posts
    McDonald's won't acknowledge the attacks. Please help the guy and contact McDonald's if you live in France.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 46Friendly Friendly x 4Informative Informative x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    6,287 Posts
    McDonald's won't acknowledge the attacks. Please help the guy and contact McDonald's if you live in France.
    They shouldn't have to pay unless one of the workers attacked him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 138Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12

January 2012
    36 Posts
    Read the article.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 76 (list)

13. Post #13
    August 2011
    2,908 Posts
    Any details on why he was attacked? Did it have something to do with his glasses, or just random shitheads being random shitheads?
    Purity First
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Italy Show Events Zing Zing x 80Funny Funny x 13Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,583 Posts
    His photographs show the attackers wearing McDonalds uniforms.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 13Winner Winner x 3Zing Zing x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    6,317 Posts
    apparently, one of the perpetrators had a nametag he turned around when Steve Mann saw it

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    11,053 Posts
    I think it's more finding the attackers than compensation, since you can't be telling me that he got attacked and there was just no CCTV or anyone round.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    6,287 Posts
    Alright alright i get it, I thought he had posted the full article in the OP. You can stop quoting me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 44 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    6,317 Posts
    I think it's more finding the attackers than compensation, since you can't be telling me that he got attacked and there was just no CCTV or anyone round.
    his eyecamera captured it, because the buffered images saved themselves when one of the attackers damaged the camera/computer

they pretty much screwed themselves up
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Romania Show Events Agree Agree x 11Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    May 2010
    703 Posts
    Let's go get the private security guard of Sarif.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

20. Post #20

January 2012
    36 Posts
    Physical assault and willful destruction of customer’s property by persons acting as representatives of McDonald’s
    McDonald's employees were seen in the pictures of the restaurant confronting him.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,168 Posts
    Why did they attack him in the first place? What was their point? What were they trying to do?
    Paris police and McDonald’s were unresponsive, he said.
    I don't know, but if this is true there's definitely something they don't like about his glass. police can be shitheads and so can companies (especially big ones like McD's), but I don't think they would just randomly be unresponsive with him for no reason.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    804 Posts
    Shitheads being shitheads because he's wearing a computer. The full article states that their actions caused the computer to capture at least one of the perpetrator's faces, though, so there is some hope for litigation (because, let's face it, it's very necessary).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,766 Posts
    according to the article, his glasses captured the whole incident, there's pictures in the article from his glasses
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 17Agree Agree x 3 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    5,846 Posts
    If you read the article it goes into more detail, apparently they were wearing name tags although one of them tried to hide his.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    23,097 Posts
    One of the employees tried to rip the thing off so I'm guessing something about his glasses.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    6,128 Posts
    One of the employees tried to rip the thing off so I'm guessing something about his glasses.
    Wow what, what problem could they have with weird computer glasses.

27. Post #27
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    19,248 Posts
    Anyone else think about the androids from the "Alien" series?

No?

OK. :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 64Dumb Dumb x 14Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,181 Posts
    Pure vs Bionic civil war. Robot arm, here I come!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Funny Funny x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    Glorious GNU/Linux Master Race
    May 2010
    5,718 Posts
    I don't know, but if this is true there's definitely something they don't like about his glass. police can be shitheads and so can companies (especially big ones like McD's), but I don't think they would just randomly be unresponsive with him for no reason.
    Just companies doing their usual stuff i guess

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,475 Posts
    I don't understand this. What was the fuss about? What was their motive?

I'm jumping to extreme conclusions here, bordering conspiracy nutjob territory, but what if the McDonald's employees were worried that his eyeglasses would capture something illegal that they were doing? The article said McDonald's employees in France also assaulted someone for taking a picture of a food menu.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

31. Post #31
    OBVIOUS LOLICON
    August 2007
    1,366 Posts
    So wait, french mcdonald's don't want people to make recordings inside their establishment despite it being open to the public? To the point where they'd even resort to physical violence to prevent it? What?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 18 (list)

32. Post #32
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    21,608 Posts
    I see eidos are preparing for a McDonalds DLC mission
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 65Informative Informative x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,098 Posts
    What? Attacked for wearing them?

This, and that thread about the family that was saved from drowning, only to let their savior drown in return, have filled my mind with fuck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    When I saw this on reddit, there was speculation that the McDonalds was doing some laundering or some shit like that, and were worried he was recording it or would incriminate them.

Regardless of the cause, this is disgusting. The attacker needs to be prosecuted and the department sued for not pursuing this. It's blatant assault.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    5,846 Posts
    They tore up his documentation explaining it as well. Grade A ass hats.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,475 Posts
    When I saw this on reddit, there was speculation that the McDonalds was doing some laundering or some shit like that, and were worried he was recording it or would incriminate them.

Regardless of the cause, this is disgusting. The attacker needs to be prosecuted and the department sued for not pursuing this. It's blatant assault.
    I don't know which is worse; McDonald's lack of response, or the refusal of French Authorities to do anything about it.

Edited:

I mean, he has photographic proof that he was physically assaulted and still nobody will take the case?

Edited:

I'm sorry, I shouldn't say "refusal", we don't know that. The article only says that the French Authorities never contacted him back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

37. Post #37
    September 2010
    4,175 Posts
    Fucking Humanity Front
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 17Agree Agree x 2Late Late x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,475 Posts
    Why do I get the odd feeling that we're missing something important?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 33 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,928 Posts
    I don't understand why they attacked him, to them he just had some weird glasses on?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    12,766 Posts
    I don't understand why they attacked him, to them he just had some weird glasses on?
    I wore NVGs into a McDonald's once. They looked at me weird.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 34Informative Informative x 1 (list)