1. Post #1
    May 2010
    1,088 Posts
    For those of you who actually own a "good" server either in a data center nearby or in your own home, is it worth it to buy and have an actual server of your own or is it better to rent out a dedicated server each month? I have many things to run such as my websites, sometimes a small game server and/or voice server. But is it worth paying the electric bill each month to have it? Or is it less expensive to rent something out?

my view was it was cheaper to rent out a dedicated server but then i actually got one and it was around 150/month
    electric in my area is about 10 cents per KwH. so my server, which is currently just an old pc, with a psu of 350 watts, it'd take almost 3 hours to use 1 Kw. so 8 Kw a day. 80 cents a day, 5.60/week, about 25 bucks/month, 300 per year.

so this is all old stuff though that prolly isn't very energy efficient. and it's quite low tech. single core intel CPU @2.20ghz, 3gb DDR2 Ram and an IDE HDD. versus renting out a good server, high quality server that's managed by someone else? so if something with the hardware fails, it's their problem not mine. So, my question still stand. in your experience, which is the better route to go?

Thanks for any feedback :)

2. Post #2
    Moderator Illuminati
    June 2006
    5,091 Posts
    My view is that renting is almost always better, since then the rental company is responsible for hardware maintenance. Since they (should) always have staff present in the DC, they'll be able to respond faster than you could, and probably keep a stock of replacement parts to fix most issues that might arise.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    May 2010
    1,088 Posts
    But I'm talking about having the owned server within reach. and if a decent rented server for me is around $100+/month (due to needing a winserver license and usually VAC taxes), it'd be over 1,200 a year versus 300 a year at home, providing nothing fails and needs replaced of course. I understand what you're saying, but is it plausible monetarily?

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,729 Posts
    electric in my area is about 10 cents per KwH. so my server, which is currently just an old pc, with a psu of 350 watts, it'd take almost 3 hours to use 1 Kw. so 8 Kw a day. 80 cents a day, 5.60/week, about 25 bucks/month, 300 per year.
    It's likely not using more than 80w

In my experience I've saved a massive amount of money with colocation - I've squeezed a 2600k, 16GB RAM, cheapo Gigabyte board, 2x1TB F3 (RAID 1), 3TB disk and 64GB M4 SSD into a 1u which has been rock solid hardware-wise for the past year. Total hardware cost ~1000, monthly cost ~45. To rent the same hardware on the insanely high quality network (ping-wise) I'm on would be close to 200/month. So it's already paid for itself and then some.

Just keep in mind building a 1u is significantly more difficult than building a tower or any larger server case.

5. Post #5
    May 2010
    1,088 Posts
    i was thinking of either getting an empty 1u to build on or get a small micro server to build. however, there are no places around me that I could colocate to. the closest place is 3 hours away. I'm curious as to what all they provide you. are you allowed into the data center to fiddle with your machine or do you have to ask them to do it for you? also, what speeds is your server getting? 45 would be around $71

6. Post #6
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    2,987 Posts
    If your internet is good and the terms of service allows you to run your own server on the internet connection - sure, why not?

Otherwise rent a server - you can get E3-1230's for $99 a month these days from reputable providers. Or, why not skip that entirely and just rent a website for $3/month and a gameserver for $15/month?

Better yet, get a VPS.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    772 Posts
    If your internet is good and the terms of service allows you to run your own server on the internet connection - sure, why not?

Otherwise rent a server - you can get E3-1230's for $99 a month these days from reputable providers. Or, why not skip that entirely and just rent a website for $3/month and a gameserver for $15/month?

Better yet, get a VPS.
    Where is this E3-1230 server for $99/month you speak of?

8. Post #8
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    dark and frank, I think you guys mean wh or kwh. watts are a rate.

That's like saying "my car can go 80 km/h in a day"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    2,987 Posts
    Where is this E3-1230 server for $99/month you speak of?
    I personally offer E3-1230 with 4GB of ram for $99 a month - resold off LSN but that's all just technical stuff. PM me if you want one :)

Alternatively, Secured Servers/Volume Drive also offers them and a couple of others do as well if you look around.

10. Post #10
    May 2010
    1,088 Posts
    I personally offer E3-1230 with 4GB of ram for $99 a month - resold off LSN but that's all just technical stuff. PM me if you want one :)

Alternatively, Secured Servers/Volume Drive also offers them and a couple of others do as well if you look around.
    I checked out Volume Drive and I definitely like it.
    CPU: Intel Celeron G530 Sandy Bridge (2 cores)
    RAM: 4 GB DDR3 Memory
    HD: 250 GB SATA Hard Drive
    BW: 100 Mbps / Unmetered Transfer*
    IP: 2 IP Addresses
    this with a windows 2008 license for only $50/month. it's surprisingly cheap.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    476 Posts
    A dedicated server or some office space is what I am looking for; meanwhile, I am waiting for an appropriate service provider while I develop my application. I will admit, the physical hardware is a burden riding in the back of my mind, it is something to take care of when the time comes.