1. Post #1
    Oh no, what have I done!
    November 2007
    22,016 Posts
    http://www.sacbee.com/2012/07/18/463...gs-killed.html

When the old Nissan plowed into Gemily West and Harison Long-Randall in a Carmichael crosswalk Monday night, witnesses say it was flying down the two-lane road at more than 80 mph.

Long-Randall, a 21-year-old bear of a man who weighs around 300 pounds, stepped in front of his 23-year-old girlfriend to shield her.

He took the brunt of the impact, which severed one of his legs below the knee and sent it flying down Garfield Avenue. She was cut down with a compound fracture in her lower right leg.

Her four beloved dogs Bindie, Evie, Winry and Zury were all killed, their bodies scattered into the roadway just south of Engle and a few steps from West's home.

The driver never even slowed down.

That was the horrific sequence of events that witnesses and the California Highway Patrol described Tuesday as authorities launched a search for a 1986 or 1987 Nissan Maxima with light-brown metallic paint.

Pieces of the car littered the ground at Garfield Avenue and Engle Road an intersection with a four-way stop and a large streetlight overhead leaving an abundance of evidence for investigators. They said the vehicle sustained damage to its front bumper, lost the driver's side mirror and broke out the clear and amber running lights on the driver's side.

"There were no skid marks at the scene," CHP Officer Todd VanLindt said. "The driver took out the stop sign and then struck Mr. Randall and Ms. West."

VanLindt said investigators don't know why the driver did not stop, that he may have been drunk or fleeing from the commission of a crime.

In past years, Sacramento has ranked among the worst cities in the state for crashes involving fatalities and injuries. Sacramento County currently ranks third in the state for hit-and-run crashes.

Residents of the area where Monday's hit-and-run occurred say Garfield is often used as a "cheat street" by drivers hoping to escape traffic jams on Fair Oaks Boulevard or by drunks reasoning that enforcement may be more lax than on busier streets.

Taylor Givant, a 17-year-old who was coming home with her father at 10 p.m., saw the hit-and-run as her father's SUV approached the intersection heading east on Engle.

"No lights on the car," she said. "No back lights, no brake lights, no front lights.

"How do you just not stop? You're going 80 mph and you hit two people and four dogs and you don't stop? I don't understand."

West, who graduated from El Camino Fundamental High School in 2007, had gone out with her boyfriend Monday night to exercise her dogs on the grass at Garfield Elementary, about 100 yards from her home.

She and Long-Randall, who was visiting from Grass Valley, spent time playing fetch with her four Australian cattle dogs, which friends say were like children to the young costume designer.

Then, with reflective leashes and flashing lights on the dog collars, the couple started the short walk back to her house.

Inside the home, her older sister, Lilleah West, was listening to the sounds of the fireworks coming from the State Fair at Cal Expo when she heard an odd, loud noise.

"I even thought to myself, 'That didn't sound good, I'd better go check it out,' " Lilleah West said Tuesday. "I came out and I heard my sister screaming and screaming.

"At first she screamed for the dogs, because she hadn't seen what happened to Harry. Then she saw what had happened to him, and she screamed for him."

Lilleah West said she looked around and saw Long-Randall's leg near a utility pole on the side of the street.

"It had no shoe or sock on it," she said. "It looked like a Halloween prop."

Within moments, residents from the neighborhood streamed out of their homes to help, a sharp contrast to the callousness of whoever was driving the Nissan.

Mario Ajello, a 67-year-old contractor whose home sits on the southwest corner of the intersection, ran out with his friend Joe Stroup, 49.

"One lady who had some (medical) training said, 'We've got to make a tourniquet,' so I gave her my belt to make a tourniquet on his leg," Ajello said. "And then I looked down the street and there were two of the dogs that looked like little piles of fur. It knocked them 50 to 60 feet farther."

Ajello said the position of the couple made it look as though Long-Randall tried to protect West from the impact.

"She looked like she had been knocked back by his body," Ajello said. "He, on the other hand, looked like a bag of rags."

Stroup said paramedics were on the scene rapidly and, as they began moving West onto a stretcher, he could hear her cries.

"What tears me up is she started screaming, 'Why?' " he said. "She just kept saying it over and over."

By then Lilleah West had a difficult choice to make. Her sister already knew Harison had been badly hurt, but she didn't know what had happened to the dogs.

"I had to tell her," Lilleah West said. "I know she's the kind who wants to know the truth, or she'll worry and fret, so I told her the truth last night when they were getting her on the stretcher."

Her next task was nearly as grim. Rather than let the county's animal control service pick up the dogs' bodies, she said she, loaded them into a wagon and placed them in a kiddie pool on ice in the backyard until Gemily comes home.

"My sister's going to want to see the dogs," she said, recalling how well-behaved the animals were and how they walked on each side of her, two by two. "She's going to want to pet their heads one last time."

West's family hopes she can come home from Mercy San Juan Medical Center in a few days. Long-Randall's recovery is expected to take considerably longer.

The two young people have been friends for several years, meeting through a mutual friend who is a dog breeder, and Lilleah West said it became evident last fall that Long-Randall was falling for her sister.

Finally, for Christmas, Gemily West told him his present was that they could start dating.

On Tuesday, as the couple were recovering in the hospital and Long-Randall was being hailed as a hero, Lilleah West recalled a promise he had made to her sister.

"He said that he would do anything for her," Lilleah West said. "I think he did."

HOW TO HELP

Please excuse any format issues, I'm posting from my iPod.

This article is pretty shocking because these two are artists that I've been following for a while. Fucker didn't even slow down, Jesus.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 61Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    5,945 Posts
    That driver's a fucking asshole, I hate people like that.
    He better get caught and suffer in prison.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Agree Agree x 22Dumb Dumb x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    August 2009
    8,267 Posts
    Holy shit, I will have no tears if this guy dies in a head-on collision.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    596 Posts
    That's insane, his leg got ripped off. Fucking condolences to that hero, and hopefully a lightpost splits that driver in two.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

6. Post #6
    Oh no, what have I done!
    November 2007
    22,016 Posts
    I talked to some of my friends about this, and some of them said they talked to some of these guys at a con said they were really nice people. I don't know them personally, but this article has me pretty shaken up.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,414 Posts
    That driver must have been hopped way up on drugs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Zing Zing x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Movie quote goes here, because...
    Dennab
    October 2008
    8,076 Posts
    Anti-car movement in america soon?

Stuff like this really gets to me. That insane people like this are capable of just disregarding everyone else, even with their blood on his windshield.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    5,022 Posts
    How does one even accomplish this?

10. Post #10
    Dennab
    March 2012
    867 Posts

Smashing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 24Funny Funny x 3Friendly Friendly x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    1,309 Posts

Smashing
    No, just stop.

I hope when they find this guy they hit him with a car going 80.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Dennab
    March 2012
    867 Posts
    No, just stop.

What did Nigel Thornberry do to you :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 15 (list)

13. Post #13
    Oh no, what have I done!
    November 2007
    22,016 Posts
    What did Nigel Thornberry do to you :(
    Well, he is an unfunny meme that morons with double standards like, for starters.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Zing Zing x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Dennab
    March 2012
    867 Posts
    Well, he is an unfunny meme that morons with double standards like, for starters.
    I don't see the connection with double standards
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    2,284 Posts
    No, just stop.

prooboo has already shown himself to be insane, just ignore him
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,575 Posts
    I feel especially bad for the guy because he's kind of big. It's going to be really hard for him to get around now.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    12,791 Posts
    Wow its because of these things that I get scared of even learning to drive. Not that I'm gonna be speeding like a dumb fuck but, what if some fucked up shit like that happens? I wonder what the driver must be feeling right now, what he did is outright ridiculously wrong.

18. Post #18
    wow i sincerely hope that fuck crashes head-on into a freight train
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,976 Posts
    Wow its because of these things that I get scared of even learning to drive. Not that I'm gonna be speeding like a dumb fuck but, what if some fucked up shit like that happens? I wonder what the driver must be feeling right now, what he did is outright ridiculously wrong.
    Don't worry about it. I feel safer in my car than I do outside of it. I was scared to start driving as well, but once you start the car feels like an extension of your body in a sense.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    June 2008
    1,183 Posts
    I hope he crashes AND survives it, enduring terrible pain for the rest of his life.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    December 2010
    203 Posts
    man.. almost cried.. especially imagining her petting her dead dogs :'(

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,696 Posts
    its weird to think how his leg disappeared in less than a second

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,575 Posts
    That's why people are supposed to drive defensively. You drive paying full attention to what you're doing, not so you don't screw up, but so you can deal with it when some asshole screws up.

I've saved myself from many potential accidents simply because when I drive I'm always thinking stuff like "What if this guy in front of me slams on his brakes? What if that kid on the sidewalk runs out in front of me?", so that when crazy stuff like that DOES happen, I already have a plan to deal with it.

Of course, you can't plan for everything, and some stuff can happen so fast that no plan can deal with it. But you do what you can.

This guy was 300lbs, so even if he saw the car coming, chances are he would not be able to move out of the way fast enough anyways. Not with a car doing 80mph right at him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2007
    17,086 Posts
    yeah i wouldnt worry about the dogs when your leg is fucked and your boyfriends leg is mostly gone
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    12,234 Posts
    yeah i wouldnt worry about the dogs when your leg is fucked and your boyfriends leg is mostly gone
    Because you can only feel sad for one person or animal at a time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    12,791 Posts
    Don't worry about it. I feel safer in my car than I do outside of it. I was scared to start driving as well, but once you start the car feels like an extension of your body in a sense.
    Thats true though, and it feels great when you drive it as perfectly as the pieces inside a clock. As if you are one with machine.

I just hope I don't ever do the wrong move and hit someone or that no one crosses in front of me. That kind of stuff could have a fucked up effect on me I think...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    Dennab
    October 2008
    8,076 Posts
    Yeah well. Some people just aren't emotionally distant/selective like that. I bet it ALL worries her...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

28. Post #28
    HEY GUYS DID I MENTION I'M IN THE ARMY
    March 2006
    3,292 Posts
    Holy shit, I know exactly where they are describing. That is where I lived in Cali!

29. Post #29
    May 2012
    1,481 Posts
    Death sentence.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    I JERK MY COCK UNTIL IT'S SORE TO MLP RULE 34
    July 2010
    3,879 Posts
    He forgot to turn on the time circuits

Did they find out what caused the driver to smash into those people?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Winner Winner x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    Oh no, what have I done!
    November 2007
    22,016 Posts
    This is a journal from Beastcub, the girl's brother. A bit more background to the story.

At around 10 pm on July 16th my sister and her boyfriend and her 4 dogs were hit by a car
    the following was written that night.

they went down the block to play fetch with the dogs in the field of the school, something they have done many many times, just down the block, at night, in the cool air, down our well well lit street... at the last intersection, a mere 3 houses down the road... they were hit

I heard a loud thud and went outside to check, and then I heard her screaming, just screaming, then I saw the dogs, then her and her boyfriend in the cross walk

coming home they were hit, it was a hit and run, the car fled, one witness saw it and the cops have the description

my sister's leg is all tore down the back and all she could do was scream for her dog Winry, her love and joy, her very life, that dog meant the world to her, we would have paid a fortune to save her, and just seeing the dog she was... there was no way she could be saved.

Then she saw what happened to her boyfriend and screamed even worse

her boyfriend is alive and alert but very very hurt, I do not feel if it is right to share just what happened to him, they told me he will survive I can say that.

they are at the hospital as is my mom. I am here alone waiting for my BFF to get here to stay with me and drive me to the hospital if needed since I do not know how to drive

I could not go with them to the hospital I had to stay and sign off on the dogs so animal control would not take their bodies, I just laid them out in the yard

my sister, her dogs, gawd I loved Winry too, she was so special, she was the red heeler with no tail.

oh my god
    just oh my god
    how I am so calm, tomorrow I will likely scream and cry but for now, I just keep thinking this is not real, that tomorrow will be normal.
    it will not be normal
    my life is forever changed

I just do not know what to do, how to feel, it almost feels like this did not happen, that I did not run down the road barefoot to see the tragedy that unfolded, that I did not run back screaming for my mom, see her holding my sister around the shoulders trying to comfort her as she frantically asked me if any of the dogs were alive.

as sad as it is to have lost all the dogs I could have lost my sister
    she is relatively okay, alert, speaking, more concerned for the dogs and her boyfriend than herself

I can see why people just blame fate, right now I am chasing away thoughts of how if we just went to the fair today they would not have been hit by a car... how this all could have been so easily avoided. Before they went out my sister was helping me sew and he was stuffing a dummy for me, f I had insisted they not go for a night walk but instead stayed here to help me...
    I cannot think that, the what ifs would kill me

life can change in an instant, enjoy everything as if it may be your last moment, treasure what you hold dear, you never know when you may loose it

we lost a lot tonight

EDIT: her boyfriend is in surgery, he has some internal damage they are worried about, not many details yet
    dear god we cannot loose him too

Edit he will live, his condition is not live threatening

and just a few moments ago I cried a little for the first time since this happened, but cried for an almost happy reason
    the reason Hari, her boyfriend is so hurt and she is'nt
    ...is because he pushed her out of harm's way
    they were side by side,
    he was directly hit but my sister was clipped
    because he pushed her out of harm's way
    bless him, this is why her pet name for Hari is "CareBear"

BIG UPDATE

it is all over the news now so i guess I can share it...

Hari lost his leg at the knee, they could not save it, and is pelvis is in 2 pieces, his lower half was basically torn in two vertically, he had severe bleeding and went through 15 on blood transfusions but is stable now and sedated... he is not fixed yet, in the morning they will attempt to finish piecing him back together.

my sister just went into surgery to repair a compound fracture of her lower leg, she now has a metal rod down the middle of her shin bone which will be there for life

the news is calling Hari a hero, that he saved my sister
    he once said he would do anything for her, and he did

news reports
    http://www.news10.net/news/article/.....pnews|bc|large
    http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2012.....l-hit-and-run/
    http://www.news10.net/news/article/.....el-hit-and-run
    http://www.kcra.com/news/local-news.....n/-/index.html
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan.....destrians.html

Gemily my sister wolfgem elden Hari her boy friend

EDIT article I was more involved with wen it came to doing an interview http://www.sacbee.com/2012/07/18/46.....gs-killed.html

EDIT Hari went into surgery again this morning and the managed to piece his pelvis back together and the bleeding was not as horrible this time. He is in surgery again right now to repair the damage to his colon and intestines.
    He is going to be kept in a sedated state for at least a week to allow his body to heal past the worst of the pain :<

EDIT: the Sacramento Bee has set up a donation fund http://blogs.sacbee.com/crime/archi.....pitalized.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Dennab
    October 2008
    8,076 Posts
    Death sentence.
    Ok, Texas Ranger.

33. Post #33
    January 2010
    9,893 Posts
    Man, I'll be honest with you, if I was in that situation I would rather die. I can't bear the thought of losing 1 pet, nevertheless 4 of them, and the fact that the driver had the audacity to not even slow down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    yeah im sure she cared more about her dumb fucking dogs than her injured human boyfriend

Edited:

Because you can only feel sad for one person or animal at a time.
    I wouldn't give a flying FUCK about any amount of dogs if my loved one just lost their fucking legs saving my life

Edited:

Man, I'll be honest with you, if I was in that situation I would rather die. I can't bear the thought of losing 1 pet, nevertheless 4 of them, and the fact that the driver had the audacity to not even slow down.
    WHAT THE FUCK?

Ignoring the fucking TERRIBLY WOUNDED BOYFRIEND AND CARING MORE ABOUT THE FUCKING DOGS?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited:

i fucking hate all of you, you facepunchers are fucking emotionally fractured idiots i'm gonna go kill myself
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Oh no, what have I done!
    November 2007
    22,016 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 9Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    May 2010
    2,329 Posts
    Good, now i hope he will get what he deserves.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,924 Posts
    Long-Randall, a 21-year-old bear of a man who weighs around 300 pounds, stepped in front of his 23-year-old girlfriend to shield her.
    Hero.

38. Post #38
    March 2011
    4,273 Posts
    "He explained that he had seen a man and a dog but did not believe he had struck them, VanLindt said."

What kind of idiotic twat do you have to be to not notice you hit somebody with your car and 4 dogs.

WHAT THE FUCK?

Ignoring the fucking TERRIBLY WOUNDED BOYFRIEND AND CARING MORE ABOUT THE FUCKING DOGS?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited:

i fucking hate all of you, you facepunchers are fucking emotionally fractured idiots i'm gonna go kill myself
    Someone's never had a dog before.

39. Post #39
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    "He explained that he had seen a man and a dog but did not believe he had struck them, VanLindt said."

What kind of idiotic twat do you have to be to not notice you hit somebody with your car and 4 dogs.

Someone's never had a dog before.
    I've had a dog my entire life and I cried like a god damn baby when my first dog died, and my current dog is about 8 or so and I've had her since she was 2. Get owned. Anyway, I would NEVER give more of a shit about a dog than my significant other, especially a person in terrible pain, it wouldn't even ADD to the sadness because it would be IRRELEVANT to any logical person.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,575 Posts
    Some ex football player's wife in Minnesota recently used that story "I knew I hit something, I didn't know it was a person".

WTF!?!? How can you hit something while driving that fast and NOT find out exactly what you hit? Do you drive around randomly hitting things and never think twice about it? Wouldn't your car be destroyed within about a week or two if you did that?

Obviously, it's a lie. It's such an obvious lie it amazes me people even try to tell it like if they think anyone will believe it. Then again, people still tell cops "I only had one beer officer".

Too bad about that guy's pelvis. It was bad enough that he lost part of his leg, a pelvic injury in someone that big is devastating. He's going to need a strong will to fight if he even hopes to have a chance to not be bedridden now.