1. Post #41
    June 2009
    3,408 Posts
    I don't care what anyone says, but playing this in split-screen mode is a lot of fun and definitely makes it worth buying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    14,985 Posts
    you could also get it for free for almost a whole day on raptr.com which was pretty good.

3. Post #43
    Spergs getting mad over people enjoying a game without them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,762 Posts
    It's funny how everyone is like "lol pc version is better" when it's really not, the XBLA version team has been putting a fuck-tonne of work into the game, it runs fantastically, and the skin packs are optional and you start with a good supply of skins anyhow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    1,500 Posts
    Minecraft doesn't need the adventure update to be fun.

I played the shit out of it before the big updates came along, and splitscreen sounds like fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #46
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,707 Posts
    The only good thing about MC on the 360 is how much smoother multiplayer is. On the PC, whenever I want to play with friends, it's a laggy shitfest.

7. Post #47
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    6,628 Posts
    Blackbird you're such a little bitch lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

8. Post #48
    May 2011
    1,572 Posts
    Not everyone have a computer that can run Minecraft, and not everyone has the knowledge on installing mods either. I don't see why people think it's dumb that a game gets available to more people. It's a selfish, elitist mentality I'd say.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,298 Posts
    It's funny how everyone is like "lol pc version is better" when it's really not, the XBLA version team has been putting a fuck-tonne of work into the game, it runs fantastically, and the skin packs are optional and you start with a good supply of skins anyhow.
    The killer is the world size limit the 360 version has. I played it for a while on my brothers XBox, and while it runs smoother, it's just not quite as good due to limitations of the version they based it on, and restrictions from the console itself. Pretty solid otherwise though.

10. Post #50
    October 2010
    11,781 Posts
    Not everyone have a computer that can run Minecraft, and not everyone has the knowledge on installing mods either. I don't see why people think it's dumb that a game gets available to more people. It's a selfish, elitist mentality I'd say.
    I'm sure basically anyone could run MC if it wasn't so unoptimized
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #51
    December 2009
    3,729 Posts
    I'm sure basically anyone could run MC if it wasn't so unoptimized
    : If it was not running Java.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

12. Post #52
    Oh god I opened this page and for a moment I thought I was on Youtube.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,298 Posts
    : If it was not running Java.
    It's not entirely the fault of Java. Java is a pretty fast language today, not as fast as native code, but fast enough for the difference to be negligible in most scenarios. The problem is the framework for the game, the very core of the game, isn't well made. With hacky workarounds galore to get certain features working.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #54
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    January 2009
    20,952 Posts
    I like how the picture in the article is literally a herd of sheep
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Czech Republic Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

15. Post #55
    October 2010
    11,781 Posts
    It's not entirely the fault of Java. Java is a pretty fast language today, not as fast as native code, but fast enough for the difference to be negligible in most scenarios. The problem is the framework for the game, the very core of the game, isn't well made. With hacky workarounds galore to get certain features working.
    I'm no coder but isn't it basically a combination of Java and Notch's coding that makes it run so badly?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #56
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    3,528 Posts
    I personally cannot stand playing vanilla minecraft anymore. Im so spoiled by the mods in Tekkit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,637 Posts
    I don't think you guys really understand

1. Minecraft on PC, due to the way it was made, pretty much requires the presence of a video card. You don't need a great one, but you need a half-decent one at the very least. Guess who can't play Minecraft? most kids who's family computer doesn't have a video card. Which is probably 80% of the entire population who owns a family computer, instead of a dedicated or personal PC/laptop. I've tried playing it on integrated before - it's awful.

2. A LOT of people like playing games with controllers. And a LOT of people like playing games in a traditional TV-couch living room setting.

Minecraft on 360 may be the "inferior" version even not counting all the additions it adds (like split screen), but fact of the matter is that it allows people to have a minecraft experience on their 360 (often, their only means of playing games) when they normally could not. This is why it sold so well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

18. Post #58
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    January 2009
    20,952 Posts

1. Minecraft on PC, due to the way it was made, pretty much requires the presence of a video card. You don't need a great one, but you need a half-decent one at the very least. Guess who can't play Minecraft? most kids who's family computer doesn't have a video card. Which is probably 80% of the entire population who owns a family computer, instead of a dedicated or personal PC/laptop. I've tried playing it on integrated before - it's awful.

2. A LOT of people like playing games with controllers. And a LOT of people like playing games in a traditional TV-couch living room setting.

Minecraft on 360 may be the "inferior" version even not counting all the additions it adds (like split screen), but fact of the matter is that it allows people to have a minecraft experience on their 360 (often, their only means of playing games) when they normally could not. This is why it sold so well.
    I think that everyone without self entitlement complexes understands that already.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    18,313 Posts
    Honestly I can't imagine what a malice it is to play minecraft on a controller.

20. Post #60
    Glod Menber
    May 2008
    24,544 Posts
    My brother bought it and I've had Minecraft since the alpha days, can't say I didn't enjoy playing it with him.
    Splitscreen makes everything better. It also helped that he was clueless and I built a bunch of traps everywhere.

21. Post #61
    February 2010
    6,743 Posts
    A PC isnt a console.

Its a PC.
    Stop acting like gaming PCs and Xbox aren't relevant at all to each other. Whether you want to call it a console war or not, it's a still a pointless debate that's mostly opinions.

22. Post #62
    February 2008
    2,048 Posts
    Honestly I can't imagine what a malice it is to play minecraft on a controller.
    Funny enough, the controls on the XBOX version feel pretty comfortable and easy to figure out on your own. There is always the option of changing them to your liking such as those "South-Paw" options and stuff like that.

23. Post #63
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,298 Posts
    I'm no coder but isn't it basically a combination of Java and Notch's coding that makes it run so badly?
    A very small portion of the performance loss is down to the java platform, but a greater portion of the performance loss is mostly Notch not being amazingly sesnsible. And possibly a small part to do with LWJGL, a framework the game uses to make input/ output handling easier. It's not the best OpenGL wrapper/ implementation, but it's probably as good as you're going to get for Java.

24. Post #64
    October 2010
    11,781 Posts

This I don't understand, you obviously wouldn't need amazing hardware to run MC if it was well optimized, considering how low poly the models are and how low-res the textures are. Is there any particular reason as to why it dislikes integrated graphics?

25. Post #65
    Official worst poster 2011
    June 2007
    8,504 Posts
    This I don't understand, you obviously wouldn't need amazing hardware to run MC if it was well optimized, considering how low poly the models are and how low-res the textures are. Is there any particular reason as to why it dislikes integrated graphics?
    I'm pretty sure it isn't a graphics issue that makes Minecraft piss optimized...

Probably more in the ballpark of it's infinite world generation and the like.

26. Post #66
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,298 Posts
    It should only have issues with certain integrated graphics chipsets, the Intel HD3000 chipset can play the game (barely vanilla, just about with Optimine). It's probably something to do with LWJGL again, it allows use of certain OpenGL features that integrated cards may not understand/ support fully. And as I mentioned, it's not the greatest OpenGL wrapper anyway, it's quite bloated.

27. Post #67
    October 2010
    11,781 Posts
    I'm pretty sure it isn't a graphics issue that makes Minecraft piss optimized...

Probably more in the ballpark of it's infinite world generation and the like.
    The world generation isn't infinite and it has nothing do with it.

28. Post #68
    A highly respected gentleman in Chernarus
    June 2010
    2,094 Posts
    A PC isnt a console.

Its a PC.
    Also a platform.

So I guess a better way of putting it is "Calm down with the platform war."