1. Post #1
    "Gold Member"
    Dennab
    May 2007
    13,705 Posts

Last year at the Black Hat and Defcon security conferences in Las Vegas, a former Air Force cyber security contractor and a former Air Force engineering systems consultant displayed their 14-pound, six-foot-long unmanned aerial vehicle, WASP (Wireless Aerial Surveillance Platform). Last year it was a work in progress, but next week when they unveil an updated WASP they’ll be showing off a functioning homemade spy drone that can sniff out Wi-Fi networks, autonomously crack passwords, and even eavesdrop on your cell phone calls by posing as a cell tower.

WASP is built from a retired Army target drone, and creators Mike Tassey and Richard Perkins have crammed all kinds of technology aboard, including an HD camera, a small Linux computer packed with a 340-million-word dictionary for brute-forcing passwords as well as other network hacking implements, and eleven different antennae. Oh, and it’s autonomous; it requires human guidance for takeoff and landing, but once airborne WASP can fly a pre-set route, looping around an area looking for poorly defended data.

And on top of that, the duo has taught their WASP a new way to surreptitiously gather intel from the ground: pose as a GSM cell phone tower to trick phones into connecting through WASP rather than their carriers--a trick Tassey and Perkins learned from another security hacker at Defcon last year.

Tassey and Perkins say they built WASP so show just how easy it is, and just how vulnerable you are. “We wanted to bring to light how far the consumer industry has progressed, to the point where public has access to technologies that put companies, and even governments at risk from this new threat vector that they’re not aware of,” Perkins told Forbes.

Consider yourself warned. For details on the WASP design--including pointers on building your own--check out Tassey and Perkins site here.
    Source (Pop Sci)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 21Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    3,355 Posts
    If that thing manages to crack the password for my network then they earned the right to spy on my shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 27Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Secure, Contain, Protect.
    October 2008
    8,011 Posts
    Tassey and Perkins say they built WASP so show just how easy it is, and just how vulnerable you are.
    I can't be the only one that thinks this sounds like a bad idea, right?

Also congrats on beating Emperor Scorpius to posting something from PopSci.

4. Post #4
    May 2010
    3,195 Posts
    If that thing manages to crack the password for my network then they earned the right to spy on my shit.
    Is it 'Password'?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 32Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    January 2009
    21,466 Posts
    Nothing ground breaking, but it's a nice toy nonetheless. Rather well known technologies stuck on an RC plane.

I wouldn't mind having some of these, sending them pattern-comb a city. That could be fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    August 2011
    2,905 Posts
    Is it 'Password'?
    "It is so obvious they won't even try it!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Italy Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

7. Post #7
    Dennab
    May 2007
    1,218 Posts
    "It is so obvious they won't even try it!"
    Says the administrator of feminism.org
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 35Zing Zing x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    ffFf
    June 2005
    5,905 Posts
    Nothing ground breaking, but it's a nice toy nonetheless. Rather well known technologies stuck on an RC plane.
    Yeah, none of these things are by themselves that new, but well done to them for sticking it all together and making it work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    3,484 Posts
    Is it 'Password'?
    Ha, no, it's a bunch of random letters that requires a great mind to remember.

Qwerty
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 12 (list)

11. Post #11
    August 2009
    1,634 Posts
    I will be waiting on my roof with my magnet gun. Come get some.

12. Post #12
    October 2007
    437 Posts
    The thing has a battery life of 20 minutes, and is REALLY loud.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 5 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,961 Posts
    Is it 'Password'?
    Maybe it's "12345" or "monkey"

14. Post #14
    Dennab
    July 2009
    7,650 Posts
    shoot it down.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    3,355 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,496 Posts
    it uses a dictionary-based bruteforcer, don't worry about it getting into your wifi unless you password is 'pussydestroyer1' or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.
    November 2011
    7,079 Posts
    it uses a dictionary-based bruteforcer, don't worry about it getting into your wifi unless you password is 'pussydestroyer1' or something
    Fuck, Changing password now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 12 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member

July 2005
    3,180 Posts
    It brute forces passwords? Surely that's not the best method, quickest maybe.

19. Post #19
    We Are No Idiots
    March 2010
    4,849 Posts
    Cell phones are rather easy to listen in on since they rely on two things. Cell tower(radio tower) and their own radio channel. Having both of these one or both while allow you to do gather unthinkable things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,067 Posts
    Is it 'Password'?
    Motherfucker!

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,773 Posts
    Best thread title ever

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    6,579 Posts
    "1"

man my wifi network is impervious to all outside forces.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,375 Posts
    Depends if you use WEP or WPA/WPA2.

Regardless I would be more worried about how to protect my phone.

24. Post #24

September 2011
    515 Posts
    I'm pretty sure the words I use aren't going to be in that dictionary, considering that all of my passwords are literally the most vulgar things I can think of.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    18,124 Posts
    I'm pretty sure the words I use aren't going to be in that dictionary, considering that all of my passwords are literally the most vulgar things I can think of.
    "MissionaryPosition"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    639 Posts
    Is it 'Password'?
    It's "guest".

27. Post #27
    Gold Member

November 2007
    8,432 Posts
    I can't be the only one that thinks this sounds like a bad idea, right?

Also congrats on beating Emperor Scorpius to posting something from PopSci.
    The whole point is to show off how unsafe you are. The entire convention is built around the notion that if you expose something's failures it'll get fixed.

28. Post #28
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,610 Posts
    as well as other network hacking implements
    Which probably means aircrack-ng.

29. Post #29
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,787 Posts
    So it's a spyplane that can hack computers; welp, that's kinda scary and kinda cool.

30. Post #30
    [B][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacos"]Tacos![/URL][/B]
    April 2008
    5,450 Posts
    I doubt this sort of thing is legal. Probably won't make it into actual use unless they are granted a warrant for it to target specific suspects. I wonder how good it is at cracking passwords though. Our router has a humorous name and the password is about 60 characters long consisting of random numbers and letters. No words.