1. Post #41
    I wish I was as cool as Felix :)
    April 2010
    7,774 Posts
    No they shouldn't get punished less. Teen or not, they knew exactly what they were doing.

And minor and adult distinction? Tell that to the judge who tried me as an adult when I was 16.
    What did you allegedly do?

2. Post #42
    They knew the risks when they sexually assaulted her, right?

They should be happy they're not getting the dick in prison.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

3. Post #43
    January 2010
    2,368 Posts
    It doesn't matter the circumstances; rape isn't the raped person's fault. It's the rapist's fault.

You know what? Let's try applying that logic:

"If you put your hand in a fire, expect to be burned." "If you drink around men, expect to be raped. "

Conclusion: rape safety is a woman's responsibility. And men are not rational creatures, but just a force of nature, like fire. And since men have decided they are objects rather than people, eliminating them for the safety of people is okay.

We should create a Men Department, like a fire department. People who educate the public on the dangers of men, and when there's a men outbreak, they rush to the scene and kill them.

Problem solved.

Why do we always pit rape as the fault of a woman, even in a subconscious sense? Everyone will say what the man/men did was wrong, immoral, illegal, etc., but as many people will be so quick to turn around and still say "Oh, but she shouldn't have been wearing a skirt, or drinking, or been there, or so-and-so, or acted that way.", all tongue in cheek. It's pathetic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 17Funny Funny x 6Useful Useful x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    301 Posts
    This is not a women's rights issue nor a free speech issue. If you learned about the court system and how it works you would understand that she was not allowed to release their names, because courts do that to ensure that the prosecuted lives aren't ruined even if they're guilty or not. Them not getting a job when they're 50 is not fair punishment for a drunken horrible mistake they made in their teens. This could affect their futures, and hers too. She's going to go to jail now for contempt, a charge that she fully deserves. While they should be punished, she broke the rules and should be too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    9,548 Posts
    This is not a women's rights issue nor a free speech issue. If you learned about the court system and how it works you would understand that she was not allowed to release their names, because courts do that to ensure that the prosecuted lives aren't ruined even if they're guilty or not. Them not getting a job when they're 50 is not fair punishment for a drunken horrible mistake they made in their teens. This could affect their futures, and hers too. She's going to go to jail now for contempt, a charge that she fully deserves. While they should be punished, she broke the rules and should be too.

A drunken, horrible mistake would be getting someone pregnant or something, Rape is far worse than that.
    And I suppose its fair on her to have to live with what the did to her. If they were adults, they'd have probably been named anyway. Frankly, naming convicted rapists (they were found guilty, they're awaiting sentencing) is a fucking public service.

6. Post #46
    Dennab
    July 2009
    7,650 Posts
    Like that one guy who drowned because the family was too stuck-up to return the favor, this kind of shit is the reason things like this go unreported.

7. Post #47
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,338 Posts
    What did you allegedly do?
    Class H felony, possesion of marijuana.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #48
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,234 Posts
    Class H felony, possesion of marijuana.
    wow you were really tried as an adult for smoking some pot?

where the hell do you live?

unless you had like over an ounce or something.

9. Post #49

June 2012
    602 Posts
    She's cute :$
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Informative Informative x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #50
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,338 Posts
    wow you were really tried as an adult for smoking some pot?

where the hell do you live?

unless you had like over an ounce or something.
    Wisconsin, it and was quite a lot...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #51
    April 2012
    5,315 Posts
    Not at all, I think the guys definitely deserve to be prosecuted. But at the end of the day, they were all under age and shouldn't have been there in the first place. It was irresponsible for her to be in that situation, and it was irresponsible of the guys to take advantage of that.
    I don't buy the underage thing. If you're a human being with any sort of functional concept of ethics and morals preforming sex acts on an unconscious woman and then circulating photos of it shouldn't be something that even crosses your mind. If anything at least, it shows that these two individuals haven't even remotely begun to move out of (I'm assuming their close to the girls age) that bullshit teenage nihilism and started to develop some functional idea of how the world works.

Along with this what does a light sentence teach them? That even if they get caught with rape they can still worm their way out of it scot free?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,158 Posts
    Holy shit...
    That girl looks a lot like one of the people I have in my friends list.

I've yet to get into contact with the person that's on my friends list, but I hope to god it's just a coincidence and it isn't really her.
    Because the girl in the picture in the OP and the one on my friends list are pretty much exact duplicates.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,485 Posts
    Rapists disgust me, they should be put to death.
    Rapists should be put in a big hole with dogs and get bacon stuffed up their ass and have their asses eaten by dogs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

14. Post #54
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,658 Posts

Why do we always pit rape as the fault of a woman, even in a subconscious sense? Everyone will say what the man/men did was wrong, immoral, illegal, etc., but as many people will be so quick to turn around and still say "Oh, but she shouldn't have been wearing a skirt, or drinking, or been there, or so-and-so, or acted that way.", all tongue in cheek. It's pathetic.
    i don't give a fuck

Once I marry a pretty girl I'm presumably going to have kids with her, which will presumably have a 50/50 chance of being female. If I do have a female child, chances are it will grow into a female teenager. Once that happens, I'll probably show her how to responsibly use alcohol, but at the same time I will teach her that she should not get drunk to the point of losing consciousness, for reasons such as this. There's fucking nothing wrong with that.

If the child is a boy (and indeed if the child is a girl) I will tell them that getting excessively drunk will cause you to do shit you'll regret. Because yes, boys do need to be taught that rape isn't good. But at the same time, rape happens, so it is in my best interest to tell my daughter how to avoid it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #55
    January 2010
    2,368 Posts
    i don't give a fuck

Once I marry a pretty girl I'm presumably going to have kids with her, which will presumably have a 50/50 chance of being female. If I do have a female child, chances are it will grow into a female teenager. Once that happens, I'll probably show her how to responsibly use alcohol, but at the same time I will teach her that she should not get drunk to the point of losing consciousness, for reasons such as this. There's fucking nothing wrong with that.

If the child is a boy (and indeed if the child is a girl) I will tell them that getting excessively drunk will cause you to do shit you'll regret. Because yes, boys do need to be taught that rape isn't good. But at the same time, rape happens, so it is in my best interest to tell my daughter how to avoid it.
    It's not about not teaching women how to avoid dangerous circumstances. You also teach your sons not to accept candy from strangers at the park and not to eat that purple thing on the pavement with the ants all over it. This will happen regardless.

The issue I raise is that, despite women being a victim of a crime that shouldn't happen to begin with, we still place blame onto them. This shouldn't happen at all. They're victims. We don't look at murder victims and say "Well shit, he shouldn't have tried catching that bullet with his rib cage, should he? What an idiot, deserved it."

Edited:

There will always be extenuating circumstances for all crimes where even I might even pause and say "That bitch got raped good." for whatever reason. But that every rape devolves into a paltry debate of shifting blame and priorities is unnecessary.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #56
    November 2007
    11,658 Posts
    You can do stupid things that put you at risk of becoming a criminal victim. Being a criminal victim is not a pleasant experience, that does not change the fact that you're dumb for getting into that position.

Anyone who says the rapist is not at fault is a dirtbag. But I still think that I have the right to be critical about someone's decisions that led up to their becoming a victim.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #57
    The Cold Wind Of France
    November 2008
    18,683 Posts
    Anyone who says the rapist is not at fault is a dirtbag. But I still think that I have the right to be critical about someone's decisions that led up to their becoming a victim.
    So you think women should always live in fear of being raped?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Zing Zing x 10Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

18. Post #58
    November 2007
    11,658 Posts
    lol my god that is such a terrible strawman! No. In an ideal society there would be no rape, and it's the burden of men to make that happen.

Still, I have no reason not to tell my daughter to avoid situations in which she might get raped. None. Jesus.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 4 (list)

19. Post #59
    December 2009
    518 Posts
    If twitter hasnt done anything about the tweets, people should re-tweet them so everyone gets to know the names of the scumbags who did this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #60
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    9,548 Posts
    I really hope it doesn't come to her being charged, because, yes, while it is in contempt of court, her naming her attackers isn't going to actually do anythign that changes the case, as they were already found guilty on the charges and are awaiting sentencing and the judge already knows who they are.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2005
    4,680 Posts
    I have absolutely no sympathy for rapists
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,234 Posts
    You can do stupid things that put you at risk of becoming a criminal victim. Being a criminal victim is not a pleasant experience, that does not change the fact that you're dumb for getting into that position.

the only way someone will get raped is if they are in the presence of a rapist.

what they do doesn't matter at that point if they are targeted. you are still subtly implying a victim bears some responsibility for what happened. this is not right.

go try telling a woman "well it was pretty stupid of you to get drunk" so fucking what it's a free country you should be able to get shitfaced if you want without fear of becoming the victim of a crime.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #63
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    8,234 Posts

what they do doesn't matter at that point if they are targeted. you are still subtly implying a victim bears some responsibility for what happened. this is not right.

go try telling a woman "well it was pretty stupid of you to get drunk" so fucking what it's a free country you should be able to get shitfaced if you want without fear of becoming the victim of a crime.
    Technically getting shitfaced at 17 is a crime in itself. I don't think it's outrageous to say that she likely wouldn't have been raped if she hadn't gotten drunk to the point of passing out. What she did was irresponsible regardless of whether she was raped or not. It doesn't make the people that assaulted her any less guilty though.

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,234 Posts
    Technically getting shitfaced at 17 is a crime in itself. I don't think it's outrageous to say that she likely wouldn't have been raped if she hadn't gotten drunk to the point of passing out. What she did was irresponsible regardless of whether she was raped or not. It doesn't make the people that assaulted her any less guilty though.
    yes i understand getting hammered is irresponsible at times. but people like elecbullet insinuate that because they wanted to get drunk that somehow makes them stupid for "getting in a situation where she would be raped" as if she had some telepathic way of knowing she was going to get assaulted while drinking. it's entirely the fault of the criminal for committing a crime against a victim.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #65
    November 2007
    11,658 Posts

I think this is a shitty argument. I am required to be able to, without being uncomfortable, approach a rape victim and tell her she shouldn't have done something or other. No! Of course that's going to be awkward to say the very, very least. It still stands that she shouldn't have done something or other to get in a risky position.

What if she did something that was extremely risky and nothing came out of it? Could I then chastise her for doing something really risky, using rape as an example? It wouldn't be awkward if she wasn't raped. Your argument is essentially relying upon the inherent unpleasantness of telling someone that what they did was dumb, without negating that it was dumb.

So what if it's a free country? Rapists and shitheads exist, and I will make preparations for that.

Edited:

yes i understand getting hammered is irresponsible at times. but people like elecbullet insinuate that because they wanted to get drunk that somehow makes them stupid for "getting in a situation where she would be raped" as if she had some telepathic way of knowing she was going to get assaulted while drinking. it's entirely the fault of the criminal for committing a crime against a victim.
    yes i understand getting hammered is irresponsible at times.
    So does getting hammered become magically and retroactively not irresponsible because the lady got raped or what? I wouldn't want to be the one to tell her it's irresponsible but it can be.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

26. Post #66
    May 2012
    316 Posts
    In other news, contempt charges are apparently dropped:

http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...annah-Dietrich
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #67
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,234 Posts
    I think this is a shitty argument. I am required to be able to, without being uncomfortable, approach a rape victim and tell her she shouldn't have done something or other. No! Of course that's going to be awkward to say the very, very least. It still stands that she shouldn't have done something or other to get in a risky position.

What if she did something that was extremely risky and nothing came out of it? Could I then chastise her for doing something really risky, using rape as an example? It wouldn't be awkward if she wasn't raped. Your argument is essentially relying upon the inherent unpleasantness of telling someone that what they did was dumb, without negating that it was dumb.

So what if it's a free country? Rapists and shitheads exist, and I will make preparations for that.

Edited:

So does getting hammered become magically and retroactively not irresponsible because the lady got raped or what? I wouldn't want to be the one to tell her it's irresponsible but it can be.
    how about the rapist shouldn't have raped somebody? the girl is not in anyway at fault because she got drunk. the criminals took advantage of her. this is 100% their fault. what is so difficult to understand about this?

it's an irresponsible action if you don't have someone designated to watch you, but that does not mean you are at fault because you got fucking taken advantage of. if one day i accidentally forgot to lock my car doors and it got stolen, does that mean i am partially to blame? no, you blame the fucking criminal who took the car.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

28. Post #68
    July 2012
    85 Posts
    It's a shame that the prosecution didn't consider the victim's wishes when reaching a plea deal. These boys could have served a reasonable sentence, not they're part of a huge public scandal. It's funny that the system's failure has essentially doubled the suffering of both the criminal and the victim.

29. Post #69
    November 2007
    11,658 Posts
    I don't sympathize with any rapist. I sympathize with you, because you don't seem to understand that despite how comforting and logical it might at first feel not to put any blame on a victim, it just doesn't work out in reality.

What if you hadn't had your car stolen? What if you left your car unlocked by accident and nothing happened? Could I then call you dumb for leaving your car unlocked? To be less vulgar, could I at the very least advise you not to leave your car unlocked in the future? I run the risk of hurting the feelings of someone who did indeed leave their car unlocked and their car was stolen, but that doesn't change anything about whether or not leaving your car unlocked is a dumb thing to do.

If you perform a stupid act that leads to you becoming a victim of a crime, then some definitions would put you as partially to blame for that crime. It sounds mean. It doesn't sound nice. But it's only logical that you should avoid dangerous situations, even if the crimes which might result would be someone else's doing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

30. Post #70
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,266 Posts
    I don't sympathize with any rapist. I sympathize with you, because you don't seem to understand that despite how comforting and logical it might at first feel not to put any blame on a victim, it just doesn't work out in reality.

What if you hadn't had your car stolen? What if you left your car unlocked by accident and nothing happened? Could I then call you dumb for leaving your car unlocked? To be less vulgar, could I at the very least advise you not to leave your car unlocked in the future? I run the risk of hurting the feelings of someone who did indeed leave their car unlocked and their car was stolen, but that doesn't change anything about whether or not leaving your car unlocked is a dumb thing to do.

If you perform a stupid act that leads to you becoming a victim of a crime, then some definitions would put you as partially to blame for that crime. It sounds mean. It doesn't sound nice. But it's only logical that you should avoid dangerous situations, even if the crimes which might result would be someone else's doing.
    There's no "partially to blame" in either of these cases. Leaving a car unlocked can be considered irresponsible. Someone stealing that car is 0% the victim's fault. The entirety of the blame goes to the one who committed the crime. The same applies to rape.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

31. Post #71
    November 2007
    11,658 Posts
    If leaving a car unlocked is irresponsible, then I can call you a dumbass for doing so. If your car is actually stolen, you're still a dumbass but it'd be very mean to say it to your face.

If getting drunk off your ass is irresponsible, then I can call you a dumbass for doing so. If you're raped, you're still dumb but it'd be very very very mean to say it.

Whether or not something occurred as partially your fault if you did something dumb which contributed depends entirely on your definition of blame.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #72
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,234 Posts
    no. no. stop right there. this is the wrong thing to say. nobody is to blame except the criminal who committed the crime

if the criminal was not there, the crime would not have happened. it is really that damn simple. the victim should never be blamed for becoming a victim. there is no way to "suggest" what to do without implying that it is partially their fault for what happens to them.

Edited:

If getting drunk off your ass is irresponsible, then I can call you a dumbass for doing so. If you're raped, you're still dumb but it'd be very very very mean to say it.

Whether or not something occurred as partially your fault if you did something dumb which contributed depends entirely on your definition of blame.
    wow you seriously think someone is dumb if they are taken advantage of while drunk?

you're even more frightening than i thought.

33. Post #73
    November 2007
    11,658 Posts
    You're so illogical. I can't chew someone out for leaving their car unlocked? That's the same logic, only a crime of less terrible scale.

So what if someone's individual definition of blame means that a rape victim is at fault partially? It sounds mean, and it is very very mean to say to a rape victim's face. But it's true!

Edited:

wow you seriously think someone is dumb if they are taken advantage of while drunk?

you're even more frightening than i thought.
    =\
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

34. Post #74
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,234 Posts
    So what if someone's individual definition of blame means that a rape victim is at fault partially? It sounds mean, and it is very very mean to say to a rape victim's face. But it's true!
    you are a terrible human being and it sickens me that you would tell a 17 year old girl that she was "dumb for getting drunk and getting raped"

i don't know how i can be anymore clear. if you seriously think a rape victim has any blame at all for being raped i don't know what to say other than see a psychologist.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

35. Post #75
    November 2007
    11,658 Posts
    I had the most dashing argument to bolster my side in this argument, but I forgot it months ago. I know it happened.

I've been in this debate before you know.

Edited:

you are a terrible human being and it sickens me that you would tell a 17 year old girl that she was "dumb for getting drunk and getting raped"

i don't know how i can be anymore clear. if you seriously think a rape victim has any blame at all for being raped i don't know what to say other than see a psychologist.
    "But if you're right, then THIS is right, and I have already decided that THIS is wrong!"

I've said it time and again that I would not want to say it to a girl's face, and that I don't want anyone to say it to a girl's face, because it's incredibly mean to do so if she has been raped. But when you circulate your argument around how mean it is, you're fallacious.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #76
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    2,382 Posts
    I know it has already been mentioned, but here's some more detail
    Huffington Post posted:
    On Monday, attorneys for the boys dropped their motion to charge her with contempt. David Mejia, an attorney for one of the boys, said the decision to withdraw the motion had nothing to do with public sentiment and online attention to the case.
    Sure.

37. Post #77
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,234 Posts
    I had the most dashing argument to bolster my side in this argument, but I forgot it months ago. I know it happened.

I've been in this debate before you know.

Edited:

"But if you're right, then THIS is right, and I have already decided that THIS is wrong!"

I've said it time and again that I would not want to say it to a girl's face, and that I don't want anyone to say it to a girl's face, because it's incredibly mean to do so if she has been raped. But when you circulate your argument around how mean it is, you're fallacious.
    you still evidently think that she is at fault, which isn't any better if you only mention it behind her back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #78
    November 2007
    11,658 Posts
    I don't give a fuck. I'm right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Dumb Dumb x 3Informative Informative x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

39. Post #79
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,234 Posts
    I don't give a fuck. I'm right.
    "i am right to blame a rape victim for getting raped"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

40. Post #80
    November 2007
    11,658 Posts
    You speak as if it is my goal to point out that girls are dumb after they're raped. It's not. That's just a side effect, a solitary condition tacked on to my main purpose.

My main purpose is to say that I am free to tell girls to avoid dangerous situations without being called nasty things. In this way I hope that rape cases can go down more than is possible just by educating the male portion of this country.

Edited:

"i am right to blame a rape victim for getting raped"
    ye pretty much
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)